ADVERTISEMENT

It is being reported Coach Bob Elliott is in hospice

He is in hospice surrounded by family and friends per the latest.

wow. had no idea it was that dire. may he rest in peace. and peace to his family and friends.

I wonder if they kept him on staff to keep his insurance going. I'd like to think that is the sort of thing our Athletic Department would do. In any event I hope his last days are comfortable and that he goes in peace. I give my condolences to his family and friends.

That's stunning. Prayers to him and his loved ones. I'm wondering if was pancreatic cancer. I have lost a few friends to it. The decline was astonishingly quick. Regardless of the cause very sad news.

Reactions: MITCH492
That's stunning. Prayers to him and his loved ones. I'm wondering if was pancreatic cancer. I have lost a few friends to it. The decline was astonishingly quick. Regardless of the cause very sad news.

Polycythemia vera, which leads to mass production of blood cells, became active in Bob before the 1998 season. If untreated, it could have led to a heart attack or stroke. Bob told few about it, instead working every day of the Hawkeyes' worst season in two decades before undergoing a bone marrow transplant.

Reality came in the form of a rare blood cancer that required a bone marrow transplant.

Had Bob Elliott not been diagnosed with cancer back in the 1997/98 range, he would have likely been named Hayden Fry's replacement at Iowa as head coach when Hayden retired. He took himself out of consideration because of the treatments he was having to go through.

wow. had no idea it was that dire. may he rest in peace. and peace to his family and friends.
All cancer is different and I don't know Coach Elliott's most recent diagnosis, but sometimes complications after treatment can do you in before the cancer does. Just lost a stage four loved one to septis and pneumonia. Sadly, sometimes people can go much sooner than expected.

Hayden Fry was also going through his own battle with cancer in 1998, his final year.

Dave Butler was a teammate of Elliott's at Iowa. The former OL died in 2016 of cancer.

The 1970s was a great period for Nebraska football, we all know. It was a challenging period for Iowa (1961 to 1980). Bob Elliott and Dan McCarney were teammates at Iowa.

Plenty of memories of Bob Elliott over the years, as he played at Iowa, coached at a variety of schools, including Iowa, ISU and Notre Dame. Nebraska's job will not be fulfilled, which brings a sad end to his career in college football.

Thoughts and prayers for his family and his extended football family.

His dad had a heck of legacy in College Football too!

peace

Thanks for the clarification, Bigboxes. Just a truly terrible disease. I am hopeful that substantial breakthroughs in treatments for many types of cancer are not too far away. Again blessings to him and his loved ones.

His dad had a heck of legacy in College Football too!

peace
His uncle Pete, who was a former head coach of the Huskers, also had a decent legacy. Pete died three or four years ago if I recall. Not sure if Bump is still living. From what I heard, they were really a great family with a ton of football acumen.

Prayers for him and his family.

Last edited:
Reactions: cidsports
Odd that this story seems to be solely on discussion boards. Hospice? Deceased? Maybe we better slow down.

His uncle Pete, who was a former head coach of the Huskers, also had a decent legacy. Pete died three or four years ago if I recall. Not sure if Bump is still living. From what I heard, they were really a great family with a ton of football acumen.

Prayers for him and his family.
Bump is now 92 former HC at Mich and longtime AD at Iowa he hired Hayden Fry,Dan Gable and Lute Olson. As a RH at Mich was the Big Nine MVP and his Mich team in " 48 " beat USC 49-0. Now those were power teams .

Well he's not gone yet, but it doesn't sound good.

Bob wasn't with us long, but I knew of him before he came to the Blackshirt side. Great coach and man. Best wishes and prayers to his family.

Had Bob Elliott not been diagnosed with cancer back in the 1997/98 range, he would have likely been named Hayden Fry's replacement at Iowa as head coach when Hayden retired. He took himself out of consideration because of the treatments he was having to go through.

Very sad story. I've read about it on a couple of occasions. He would have been a great head coach. I just remember going up against his K-State defenses, and they were always an awfully salty crew.

Health issues are so unfair. They not only rob a person of their strength, but they cause that person to involuntarily isolate themselves, because they just don't feel up to getting out and interacting with others. Friends and family stop contacting the person, so they feel so alone in addition to not feeling well. This in turn causes a lack of confidence in social situations in general, further isolating the person.

Thoughts and prayers to he and his family.

All cancer is different and I don't know Coach Elliott's most recent diagnosis, but sometimes complications after treatment can do you in before the cancer does. Just lost a stage four loved one to septis and pneumonia. Sadly, sometimes people can go much sooner than expected.
understood. i just missed the detail he even had cancer somewhere along the way, only knew he was sick to some degree...my thoughts and prayers for you, as well.

understood. i just missed the detail he even had cancer somewhere along the way, only knew he was sick to some degree...my thoughts and prayers for you, as well.
Yeah, they never really said that he had a relapse of cancer from what I've seen. It's been kept private. Sorry if my post came off as preachy. Wasn't intended to be.

Reactions: tpmcg

I think that is what happened to me last year. After treatment for non-Hodgkin's
lymphoma. The doc told my wife that they were not sure I was going to make it.
My whole life, I usually caught at least one good cold a year. I am petrified about catching another one.

Rest in peace coach.

I think that is what happened to me last year. After treatment for non-Hodgkin's
lymphoma. The doc told my wife that they were not sure I was going to make it.
My whole life, I usually caught at least one good cold a year. I am petrified about catching another one.

Rest in peace coach.
God Bless You. Hope to be reading posts from you for many years to come!

posted on FB by former Iowa player. Trying to confirm
...didn't realize Coach Elliot was part of the Fry Fraternity...and a high ranking member at that. That alone makes him quite special.

Peace and comfort to his family.

ADVERTISEMENT