ADVERTISEMENT

It’s Refreshing to have a Coach with a Strong Work Ethic

Fair enough. When I refer to balance it's relative to the position that one holds. As a coach I know that there is a grind, and it goes beyond 9-5 but it doesn't have to be 24/7...365. There are plenty of successful programs that find that happy medium.
That’s why we need players who love to win and hate to lose. Then they become leaders and the team polices itself. The coaches don’t need to babysit and they can spend more time with their families. Don’t get me wrong. They still have to put in a lot of time, setting the example, as well as being productive. But it eases the burden on the coaches.

Reactions: cavalot
Years ago my then fiancé and I were eating at Red Lobster on 66th and O St., Bob and his wife were seated in a booth near us. This would have been when he was still the AD. His wife flagged down the waiter and asked him if he could help get Bob on his feet and help him walk out. Old Bob was sauced that night.
Red Lobster? Yikes. It was probably bad shellfish that made it difficult for him to walk.

H
My wife and I watched it last night on dvr. Simultaneously not far into his speech we looked at each other and had the same thought....this is a sermon and we're waiting for someone to shout hallelujah!!
Burn him at the stake!

scott-frost-lol.png

Reactions: RedMyMind
Our man was up before 5:00am, got to the office, took this picture, and posted it with a Good Morning #GBR at 5:06am. He’s ready to hit the ground running. How long do you think it would’ve been before Scott slept off his hangover and got into the office?

He isn’t running from our national titles and shares the dream. I missed that that was at 5:06 AM. Hope he went through a Scooters drive thru.

I read a lot of comments about how Rhule has a gift of gab—the ability to speak easily and confidently in a way that makes people want to listen to you and believe you.

You know who else had that? Bob Devaney.
Now he’s Bob Devaney!! Goodness

Of all our press conference champions, he must “rhule” them all.

Vegas odds that Nebraska is off season champs this year are going to be so strong it aint even worth betting.

Faucets in Nebraska are going to just pump kool aid instead of water.

Years ago my then fiancé and I were eating at Red Lobster on 66th and O St., Bob and his wife were seated in a booth near us. This would have been when he was still the AD. His wife flagged down the waiter and asked him if he could help get Bob on his feet and help him walk out. Old Bob was sauced that night.
A friend of mine saw Devaney slamming Mai Tai's at a chinese restaurant on Holdrege back in the mid-80s. He would have been about 70 at time.

“The future of Nebraska football is not hanging on one decision, but is hanging on the accumulation of day after day after day of great recruiting, great development, great coaching, great teaching and we’ll just try to say, 'What’s next?' every day."

~Matt Rhule

I also liked his comment about how he was going to rip his suit off after the press conference and start recruiting.

His entire press conference was perfect, and I am really excited to see where this goes.

On one final note, I think Deion Sanders and Luke Fickell are fantastic coaches who will continue to be successful. However, yesterday’s press conference convinced me Rhule—who I consider to be the same caliber of hire as those two—is the best fit for our program. He is a natural for our program.
I'm not a Frost apologist, but don't forget about the stories of him flying all over the country to get his new team squared away, his old team ready for their bowl game, and recruiting like a mad man right out the gate... he absolutely had characteristics of being a grinder, then something happened. I hope this isn't the same with Rhule.

“The future of Nebraska football is not hanging on one decision, but is hanging on the accumulation of day after day after day of great recruiting, great development, great coaching, great teaching and we’ll just try to say, 'What’s next?' every day."

~Matt Rhule

I also liked his comment about how he was going to rip his suit off after the press conference and start recruiting.

His entire press conference was perfect, and I am really excited to see where this goes.

On one final note, I think Deion Sanders and Luke Fickell are fantastic coaches who will continue to be successful. However, yesterday’s press conference convinced me Rhule—who I consider to be the same caliber of hire as those two—is the best fit for our program. He is a natural for our program.
Mike Riley sure took it easy

That’s why we need players who love to win and hate to lose. Then they become leaders and the team polices itself. The coaches don’t need to babysit and they can spend more time with their families. Don’t get me wrong. They still have to put in a lot of time, setting the example, as well as being productive. But it eases the burden on the coaches.
When guys like Grant Wistrom and Jason Peter were playing, there was certainly a lot of team leadership.

~Matt Rhule

Very refreshing! The first thing Frost would do after ripping off the suit would be getting a 12-pack and cracking open a beer. Everything else was secondary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Truewooper
Work smarter and harder has always been the best. Tom slept in his office in season so he didn’t waste time going to and from the office. And people wonder why he was one step ahead of his opponents.
I believe there were a few stories where he fell asleep in recruits houses. 2 birds one stone.

Reactions: moralvictories
In jobs like this, work ethic is a given. There is no such thing as work life balance. ...only work life integration. You want work life balance, go work a 9-5 job, earn less, and be happy with that. That's ok. The work life required to run a major institution like Nebraska football isn't for everyone. Actually, only very few can step up to that kind of commitment.
I'd rather have a coaching staff with the right schemes than a staff that spends endless hours recruiting kids who we have no chance of getting.

Reactions: moralvictories
This really doesn't just happen by itself. TO had the unity council, but it was under his control 100% and he would have pulled the plug on it immediately if there was any indication it was leading to a decline in play on the field.

I'd rather have a coaching staff with the right schemes than a staff that spends endless hours recruiting kids who we have no chance of getting.
Those are some odd alternatives. Obsessive hard work and extremely long hours go with a D1 coaching job. It's not optional or something one can trade off. Period.

Last edited:
A friend of mine saw Devaney slamming Mai Tai's at a chinese restaurant on Holdrege back in the mid-80s. He would have been about 70 at time.
Anyone that went to games in the 80s could watch Bob meander into goal posts as he walked unsteadily to his show on game days :p

Those are some odd alternatives. Obsessive hard work and extremely long hours go with a D1 coaching job. It's not optional or something one can be traded off. Period.
I'm not saying hard work is not important. But at some point, the payback is not worth the extra effort. If the 4 and 5 stars won't even visit. They have plenty of good options.

I would have loved to coach. I take football x's and o's very seriously. I have no idea if all those accusations about Scott Frost are true. What I do know is what I have seen on the field. In my opinion, Frost's biggest failing is his offensive philosophy ... in the Big Ten.

I'm not saying hard work is not important. But at some point, the payback is not worth the extra effort. If the 4 and 5 stars won't even visit. They have plenty of good options.

I would have loved to coach. I take football x's and o's very seriously. I have no idea if all those accusations about Scott Frost are true. What I do know is what I have seen on the field. In my opinion, Frost's biggest failing is his offensive philosophy ... in the Big Ten.
Also, his lack of attention to our defense. In order to be successful in the B1G, you need a strong defense.

Also, his lack of attention to our defense. In order to be successful in the B1G, you need a strong defense.
How do you know that? They tried many things on defense and against many teams it didn't work. Zone, man, blitzing. At least not at the correct times (down and distance). They did get some high-level recruits such as Heinrich and Robinson.

We will have to wait for the results on the field, but regardless of what is up Shanle and others’ ass, Rhule checks a lot of boxes:
adult person, does not do pressers with a chaw in the cheek - check
Head coach experience in P5 - check
Rep as a worker - check
Rep in player development - check
Diverse coaching experience - check
Solid Rolodex of assistant contacts - apparently
Willing to craft an offense to be successful in league (as opposed to saying the league will adjust to him) - check
Understands that line play wins games in conference - check

We will have to wait for the results on the field, but regardless of what is up Shanle and others’ ass, Rhule checks a lot of boxes:
adult person, does not do pressers with a chaw in the cheek - check
Head coach experience in P5 - check
Rep as a worker - check
Rep in player development - check
Diverse coaching experience - check
Solid Rolodex of assistant contacts - apparently
Willing to craft an offense to be successful in league (as opposed to saying the league will adjust to him) - check
Understands that line play wins games in conference - check
Has a great last name for endless pun fun - check
Tears for Fears provided theme tune for the rest of his tenure - check

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT