ADVERTISEMENT

It’s Refreshing to have a Coach with a Strong Work Ethic

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
“The future of Nebraska football is not hanging on one decision, but is hanging on the accumulation of day after day after day of great recruiting, great development, great coaching, great teaching and we’ll just try to say, 'What’s next?' every day."

~Matt Rhule

I also liked his comment about how he was going to rip his suit off after the press conference and start recruiting.

His entire press conference was perfect, and I am really excited to see where this goes.

On one final note, I think Deion Sanders and Luke Fickell are fantastic coaches who will continue to be successful. However, yesterday’s press conference convinced me Rhule—who I consider to be the same caliber of hire as those two—is the best fit for our program. He is a natural for our program.

Gary Sharp said something yesterday about Rhule hiring Matt Lubick at Baylor....he quit 2 weeks later when he realized that Rhule's staff didn't take time off.

Not sure how true that is....but still.
I would hope that that isn't true. A burnt out staff is as worthless as a staff that hasn't put in much effort. There is a happy medium, and work/life balance can be achieved without affecting the cost of wins and losses.

I read a lot of comments about how Rhule has a gift of gab—the ability to speak easily and confidently in a way that makes people want to listen to you and believe you.

You know who else had that? Bob Devaney.
Hopefully it doesn't include heavy drinking, and groping women. Bob had a lot of that.

I would hope that that isn't true. A burnt out staff is as worthless as a staff that hasn't put in much effort. There is a happy medium, and work/life balance can be achieved without affecting the cost of wins and losses.
In jobs like this, work ethic is a given. There is no such thing as work life balance. ...only work life integration. You want work life balance, go work a 9-5 job, earn less, and be happy with that. That's ok. The work life required to run a major institution like Nebraska football isn't for everyone. Actually, only very few can step up to that kind of commitment.

Listen to his speech at the men's conference. His workaholic nature almost cost him his marriage and he has figured out how to have the balance he needs to be successful as a coach and a family man. Impressive.

In jobs like this, work ethic is a given. There is no such thing as work life balance. ...only work life integration. You want work life balance, go work a 9-5 job, earn less, and be happy with that. That's ok. The work life required to run a major institution like Nebraska football isn't for everyone. Actually, only very few can step up to that kind of commitment.
Fair enough. When I refer to balance it's relative to the position that one holds. As a coach I know that there is a grind, and it goes beyond 9-5 but it doesn't have to be 24/7...365. There are plenty of successful programs that find that happy medium.

Gary Sharp said something yesterday about Rhule hiring Matt Lubick at Baylor....he quit 2 weeks later when he realized that Rhule's staff didn't take time off.

Fits in with Trev....Trev said he wanted a grinder and someone who didn't have hobbies. Key is life balance. Not for sure some of the current staff will be interested in staying if they aren't allowed to make time for family.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I think it was Mitch Sherman telling that story about Lubick leaving after a few weeks.

That's why they make millions of dollars per year.

Fair enough. When I refer to balance it's relative to the position that one holds. As a coach I know that there is a grind, and it goes beyond 9-5 but it doesn't have to be 24/7...365. There are plenty of successful programs that find that happy medium.
I hear ya, but surely that story can’t be taken literally, can it? The hours are tremendously long, no doubt, but there has to be time off in the off season.

Edit: and it’s not for everyone. It wasn’t for Lubick. But there are guys who are wired this way.

Reactions: cavalot
Fully agree. ...AND the leader needs to make it energetic, positive, purposeful, and fun. No one wants to put in that kind of grind for a life-sucking a$$hole.

Reactions: MissoulaHusker
I hear ya, but surely that story can’t be taken literally, can it? The hours are tremendously long, no doubt, but there has to be time off in the off season.

Edit: and it’s not for everyone. It wasn’t for Lubick. But there are guys who are wired this way.
Yes...CFB coaches, NFL and even HS coaches have done an amazing job of spreading this idea of working 20 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year long.

Only female elementary school teachers will tell you about how they work more hours.

Hopefully it doesn't include heavy drinking, and groping women. Bob had a lot of that.
My father in law (RIP) used to tell a story about a booster speaking event Bob headlined in Omaha back in the day. It was his job that night to slow down Bobs consumption until after he spoke. He said he was not entirely successful and had to drive Bob home that night. Good times.

I like what he is bringing into this program..

The no fear of failure ended up nothing more than failure…
Scott Frost will forever be a cautionary tale about the risks of arrogance and overconfidence in lieu of a realistic plan and hard work.

I wonder how Rhule started off his conversation with Frost. Parody:

Rhule: “Whoa! Scott, my friend, you really f-ed up!”

Frost: “It depends on how you look at it! If I come back to Nebraska I have to tell their governor in advance so they can announce it and everyone can avoid me. However, I got paid a ton for essentially nothing!”

That's false. I have family in the coaching profession. It's a grind job. It's an 80 to 90 hour work week in season. You either put the hours in or you lose.

That's false. I have family in the coaching profession. It's a grind job. It's an 80 to 90 hour work week in season. You either put the hours in or you lose.
I didn't say that it wasn't. Im in the profession. Even at my level we are 70hrs a week with my teaching. But the OP eluded to zero time off in and out of season. And that is what I was referring to.

Reactions: TheNewNU

Jesus, I had forgotten about Lubick.

I think it was Mitch Sherman telling that story about Lubick leaving after a few weeks.
Making a career out of being Sonny Lubick's kid is a traveling carnival-like venture. Cash in on daddy's good name for a little while, wear out your welcome quickly, then move on to the next town.

It's refreshing to have a coach who follows through on his words.

Hours after Rhule's PC, in which he stated you will be seeing him and his family out in the community, he was spotted dining at Carmela's restaurant.
👍👍

Last edited:
after getting a coaching staff, retaining players, recruiting players, portal/nil players, and defining the playbook.
he should shoot some ring necks and bobwhites

There’s no happy medium for P5 football coaches in season. It’s what you sign up for when you take the job. It’s not anything different than your local farm vet in calving season or your family doc during cold and flu season. They get plenty of R&R during the off season.

There’s no happy medium for P5 football coaches in season. It’s what you sign up for when you take the job. It’s not anything different than your local farm vet in calving season or your family doc during cold and flu season. They get plenty of R&R during the off season.
I wasn't referring to the in season work...The OP, and I may have misunderstood, inferred that coaches were expected to work 24/7 365.

My father in law (RIP) used to tell a story about a booster speaking event Bob headlined in Omaha back in the day. It was his job that night to slow down Bobs consumption until after he spoke. He said he was not entirely successful and had to drive Bob home that night. Good times.

Years ago my then fiancé and I were eating at Red Lobster on 66th and O St., Bob and his wife were seated in a booth near us. This would have been when he was still the AD. His wife flagged down the waiter and asked him if he could help get Bob on his feet and help him walk out. Old Bob was sauced that night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT