ADVERTISEMENT

It’s been one decade ....

TheHuskeRed

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2006
.... since we made the decision to join the B1G. If we had the chance to do it all over again knowing what we know today, do we still pull the trigger?

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
.... since we made the decision to join the B1G. If we had the chance to do it all over again knowing what we know today, do we still pull the trigger?

Hell knowing what we do today we all would have never wanted Shawn Eichorst to be Nebraska AD after Tom Osborne and majority of us would realize the SF and his staff caught lighting in a bottle with better athletes going unbeaten...

Hell no. How can anyone look back and say this was a good decision? At the time it seemed like it but we thought the Big 12 was going to fold and it didn’t. We thought we would join a a great conference and would be a respected member. Instead, we are tested like the red headed step child that no one wants here. If we could turn back time, there is no way in hell we should have joined this conference.

Joining the B1G was a great decision. Much better than the B12. It's not the conference's fault that we didn't live up to our end.
They have gone out of their way to make sure we don’t. We have a shitload of issues, but the B1G is absolutely one of them.

If some of you don’t think this conference is an issue, what would it possibly take to make you feel it is? How much evidence smacking you in the face do you need? Look where we were when we joined the conference and where we are now. And our own conference loves to see it, he’ll goes out of their way to make it happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
The Big Ten is the greatest thing that could have happened to the University of Nebraska. Only a fool would have turned down that offer.

I don’t know how many times we have to say this, but Nebraska’s football troubles have absolutely nothing to do with the Big Ten. NOTHING!!

Nebraska’s problems since joining the B1G have been well documented and every last one of them is a Nebraska problem. If Nebraska would have lived up to its end of the bargain, no one would feel like the league is treating us poorly. We have looked like garbage for 6 years and you are pissed the conference isn’t kissing our ass?

JFC....

Yes, because we thought the big 12 was done. People like to think it was all about Texas, it wasn't. It was about the agreement of the pac10 to turn into the pac16. You idiots seem to forget Missouri was going to join the big10 first.

The Big Ten is the greatest thing that could have happened to the University of Nebraska. Only a fool would have turned down that offer.

I don’t know how many times we have to say this, but Nebraska’s football troubles have absolutely nothing to do with the Big Ten. NOTHING!!

Nebraska’s problems since joining the B1G have been well documented and every last one of them is a Nebraska problem. If Nebraska would have lived up to its end of the bargain, no one would feel like the league is treating us poorly. We have looked like garbage for 6 years and you are pissed the conference isn’t kissing our ass?

JFC....

You are out of your mind. Nebraska was known for college football and that is gone. From a football stand point this has been a disaster and it has ALOT to do with the conference. How could you even pretend it doesn't? I'm glad you are enjoying the research dollars, but it came at a cost, a cost I would have never been OK with.

Last edited:
Yes, because we thought the big 12 was done. People like to think it was all about Texas, it wasn't. It was about the agreement of the pac10 to turn into the pac16. You idiots seem to forget Missouri was going to join the big10 first.

Exactly, Missouri left, Colorado left, aTm left. It looked like it was going to fall apart and we wanted to land somewhere. That is the only reason we went to the B1G. No way in hell we do this all over if we knew the Big 12 would still be around. No way we do it again if we knew we would be treated like shit at every turn. We thought things like moving the league office to Dallas were and issue then, well look at what we put up with now.

When we left the Big 12, we had won back to back division championships (09, 10) and were a preseason Top 10 team in 2011. We were respected nationally and by our conference. Now, we are an outcast, attacked by our own conference for nothing. While we have teams in this league that have went through some of the biggest scandals in CFB history. Raping children, predator trainers and decades of racism.... all OK, anting to play football.... get out the pitchforks. And we have posters that would do it all over again. Amazing.

JFC....

People overlooked this when we joined the conference and they’re still overlooking it today. Recruiting Recruiting Recruiting! We have not recruited well in the B1G footprint at all. Nothing close to the talent we pulled from Texas when we played their schools. We continue to recruit guys from Florida and California who leave/don’t pan out. Our classes and rosters have become an absolute mess. If there is some unknown reason that we can’t recruit in B1G territory then joining the conference was a mistake.

They DO also treat us like dog shit, that should be obvious to everyone by now. The conference does almost everything they can to make our bad team worse.

Reactions: headcard
People overlooked this when we joined the conference and they’re still overlooking it today. Recruiting Recruiting Recruiting! We have not recruited well in the B1G footprint at all. Nothing close to the talent we pulled from Texas when we played their schools. We continue to recruit guys from Florida and California who leave/don’t pan out. Our classes and rosters have become an absolute mess. If there is some unknown reason that we can’t recruit in B1G territory then joining the conference was a mistake.

They DO also treat us like dog shit, that should be obvious to everyone by now. The conference does almost everything they can to make our bad team worse.

So despite the fact Nebraska's recruiting rankings (according to this site) being very similar to the 10 years that preceded joining the Big Ten (and arguably consistently better recruiting rankings), the fact that we have recruited guys that either left or didn't "pan out" (i.e., didn't "develop"), that is somehow the Big Ten's fault?

The Big Ten treats us so poorly that they are providing more revenue than the Big 12 did is "treating us like dog shit"? They televise every single football game and every basketball game, and many more volleyball and baseball games than we ever saw before (a HUGE bonus for those of us not living in Nebraska), the conference is treating us like dog shit?

The fact that they have provided us regular match-ups with some of the more storied programs in football and basketball history, the fact that we have performed so poorly in those games is evidence of the Big Ten treating us like dog shit?

The B1G is not the reason our offensive lineman jump early, or commit holding penalties, or why our QB's can't see open receivers and instead throw uncatchable balls behind the line of scrimmage, or right into the hands of a defender; or how our secondary can't defend 3rd and long, or how we can't pressure opposing QBs, or how we can't tackle a running back.

Well our first four years we accumulated a 37-16 (22-10) record with a division title. I’d say we made the right decision to join the B1G, but we’ve made plenty of horrible decisions since then. Like another poster said, we are bad because of ourselves.

There you have it. Living off of those Big 12 recruiting classes we did relatively well. Once we had to start recruiting new classes in our new conference we fell off the face of the earth.”Calibraska and Flordebraska” and all that nonsense

You are out of your mind. Nebraska was known for college football and that is gone. From a football stand point this has been a disaster and it has ALOT to do with the conference. How could you even pretend it doesn't? I'm glad you are enjoying the research dollars, but it came at a cost, a cost I would have never been OK with.

I will gladly concede that I am out of my mind if you could provide evidence that Nebraska's struggles on the football field have anything whatsoever to do with the Big Ten conference. You have made that hypothesis - so now provide evidence. What specifically is the league doing? It can't be money related, as they are providing us with more money and resources than we got in the Big 12, and will continue to do so.

So I am quite interested in hearing how Nebraska's struggles on the football field are the result of anything other than the performance from employees and athletes at the University of Nebraska.

Oh, and yes - I AM enjoying the research dollars; just as every other citizen from Nebraska is now (even though they may not realized it because they can't see beyond the football team) and any future citizen of Nebraska will. Decades from now, as the University's academic profile gradually improves, future generations will scoff at the idea that some people thought football was more important than the overall performance of the University.

So despite the fact Nebraska's recruiting rankings (according to this site) being very similar to the 10 years that preceded joining the Big Ten (and arguably consistently better recruiting rankings), the fact that we have recruited guys that either left or didn't "pan out" (i.e., didn't "develop"), that is somehow the Big Ten's fault?

The Big Ten treats us so poorly that they are providing more revenue than the Big 12 did is "treating us like dog shit"? They televise every single football game and every basketball game, and many more volleyball and baseball games than we ever saw before (a HUGE bonus for those of us not living in Nebraska), the conference is treating us like dog shit?

The fact that they have provided us regular match-ups with some of the more storied programs in football and basketball history, the fact that we have performed so poorly in those games is evidence of the Big Ten treating us like dog shit?

The B1G is not the reason our offensive lineman jump early, or commit holding penalties, or why our QB's can't see open receivers and instead throw uncatchable balls behind the line of scrimmage, or right into the hands of a defender; or how our secondary can't defend 3rd and long, or how we can't pressure opposing QBs, or how we can't tackle a running back.

Oh right! How could I forget about the superrrr important class Rankings!?!? Oh yea maybe because of that other thing I said where our recruits more so end up trash and leave the program now, coincidentally at the same time our recruiting geography changed. Yea that’s it, but you predictably ignore that. 👍🏼

Oh right! How could I forget about the superrrr important class Rankings!?!? Oh yea maybe because of that other thing I said where our recruits more so end up trash and leave the program now, coincidentally at the same time our recruiting geography changed. Yea that’s it, but you predictably ignore that. 👍🏼

As I expected, you are not able to substantiate your opinion, so you just made something up; and the one tangible thing that refutes your opinion, you conveniently disregard.

Aren't you the same guy that tried to convince us the NFL is rigged, too? Sorry if I'm confusing you with another conspiracy theorist.

Reactions: HuskersNC
Never wanted to join in the first place, but I also don't want to leave. We would never, ever, ever, live it down amongst CFB fans and talking heads alike. We would be viewed as pussies who tucked tail and ran from two different conferences in 10 years because we couldn't win and so we took our ball and went home.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
To the OP, what's this "we" stuff? Are you referring to the power brokers at the University and in State government? Then yeah, of course "we" do. It doesn't have much to do with football either, although its definitely a factor. Football is what got us in the conference, but in the overall picture of "why" we joined and why we stay it's only one factor. And not the biggest.

I will gladly concede that I am out of my mind if you could provide evidence that Nebraska's struggles on the football field have anything whatsoever to do with the Big Ten conference. You have made that hypothesis - so now provide evidence. What specifically is the league doing? It can't be money related, as they are providing us with more money and resources than we got in the Big 12, and will continue to do so.

So I am quite interested in hearing how Nebraska's struggles on the football field are the result of anything other than the performance from employees and athletes at the University of Nebraska.

Oh, and yes - I AM enjoying the research dollars; just as every other citizen from Nebraska is now (even though they may not realized it because they can't see beyond the football team) and any future citizen of Nebraska will. Decades from now, as the University's academic profile gradually improves, future generations will scoff at the idea that some people thought football was more important than the overall performance of the University.

What an absolute load of crap. Let's just pretend all the shit the B1G does to Nebraska doesn't exist. Getting called out and attacked for wanting to play football. 500+ snaps between opponents being called for holding. We are literally losing games because of this nonsense and you are Ok with it. Hell what would it take to convince you? They aren't even trying to hide it. This conference is a good ole boys club and they do not want Nebraska to be successful. But you are OK with it because of research money? Let's pretend the scandals at Iowa, MSU, PSU are no big deal and let's crucify Nebraska. That is fine because of some research money?

I'm sorry, but the demise of one of the greatest college football programs of all time, one that my family has had season ticket to for 60 years, is not worth it. We have traded a conference in which we were respected, one in which we had 100+ years of history, one in which we were successful for this? And how do you think the average citizen is benefiting from this arrangement and why do we have to put up with this second rate treatment to receive these precious research dollars?

Reactions: CatColumbia
They have gone out of their way to make sure we don’t. We have a shitload of issues, but the B1G is absolutely one of them.

If some of you don’t think this conference is an issue, what would it possibly take to make you feel it is? How much evidence smacking you in the face do you need? Look where we were when we joined the conference and where we are now. And our own conference loves to see it, he’ll goes out of their way to make it happen.

We need to take care of our issues first and not worry about the conference. If we're not doing the best we can what does it matter what external factors exist. I'm not convinced that we are. In the least.

We need to take care of our issues first and not worry about the conference. If we're not doing the best we can what does it matter what external factors exist. I'm not convinced that we are. In the least.

Yes, that is all we can do. The OP was about turning back the clock and doing it over again. To me, that is a no brainer, we do it every single time. Moving to the B1G was a disaster. But the reality is, we can't turn back time and you are right, all we can do at this point is fix the multitude of issues within this program.

But it still pisses me off to see people acting like this nonsense with the B1G is normal. We shouldn't be targeted by our own freaking conference like this, that is beyond ridiculous. And acknowledging it is happening and the negative effect it is having, is not ignoring or making excuses for all our other issues. But the fact that Nebraska is a bad fit in the B1G and that the B1G wants to see us fail, is an issue and if there was a magical way to get a do over, we should 100% take it.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
There you have it. Living off of those Big 12 recruiting classes we did relatively well. Once we had to start recruiting new classes in our new conference we fell off the face of the earth.”Calibraska and Flordebraska” and all that nonsense
You wanna give any credit to the coaches and ADs we've had for the last 5 to 7 years? Energy Bus and Smilin' Mike ring a bell?

Conference doesn't matter. We can recruit top 15, top 20 classes. That outta be good enough to be one of the top 4 teams in the BIG. That should be our goal for the next few years. The volleyball team hasn't missed a beat. They have extremely high standards of excellence and they compete to win.

Football is the engine that drives this university. The powers that be need to pour every ounce of energy into getting it right. It is disturbing that we lose to programs that have only a passing interest in the game. Until our coaches and admin develop an obsession to win and back it up with the time and resources needed, we will continue to be below average.

Conference doesn't matter. We can recruit top 15, top 20 classes. That outta be good enough to be one of the top 4 teams in the BIG. That should be our goal for the next few years. The volleyball team hasn't missed a beat. They have extremely high standards of excellence and they compete to win.

Football is the engine that drives this university. The powers that be need to pour every ounce of energy into getting it right. It is disturbing that we lose to programs that have only a passing interest in the game. Until our coaches and admin develop an obsession to win and back it up with the time and resources needed, we will continue to be below average.

No, didn't you hear. It's all about research dollars. Someday we will all look back and just laugh about how we used to care so much about football...

As an Omaha resident for over 25 years, I am glad Neb joined the B1G. I was listening to several local sports radio shows11 years ago as this went down. There was a lot of excitement and I still feel Neb has a lot going for it in the future. For those anti B1G, I recall a lot of anti Texas and anti Big 12; especially after the officials put 1 second back on the clock.

I question what everyone who thinks Neb should have stayed in the Big 12 thinks the team and coaching staff would have played out.

If Neb had stayed in the Big 12 would Bo been more likely to keep his temper in check and his trap shut and he would not have been fired? Would his brother have been able to keep his pants on and been allowed to stay as DC? Would Bo had improved his recruiting to the level to compete.
(Hayden had no problem filling his Iowa roster with Texas players)

If Bo was let go, would there have been another dozen coaches beating down the door for Eichorst to hire instead of Riley?

And what else happened after those first 4 years? How about a meddling egghead Chancellor Harvey Perlman, a way over his head "energy bus" driving fool Shawn Eichorst and some dumb ass coaching, foolish schemes and piSs poor PLAYER DEVELOPMENT!

Reactions: scarletred
We will never be one of the teams that is in the boys club. In this conference you have 5 or 6 teams that have more than 100 years in the conference. We're like the new red headed step child. In the B12 we were 3rd behind Oklahoma and Texas.

Nebraska doesn't make sense geographically and the values of the people compared to the other teams. This pandemic made it so obvious and we got chastised for wanting to play. Just think how absurd this is.

While the B12 wasn't perfect, it made more sense for recruiting and values of the geography.

Somehow we need to rise above it and start getting our respect back. Even if we do, we will never be in the top 4 "Boys Club" of the B10.

I really hope we leave this conference, sooner rather than later.

ADVERTISEMENT