ADVERTISEMENT

It’s a damb shame we are putting these student athletes health at risk

For what? Football? This virus is killing people!

Screen-Shot-2020-09-05-at-12.44.52-PM.jpg

For what? Football? This virus is killing people!

The infection rate has slowed down in Nebraska, and according to this data the likelihood of the disease spreading has declined. We can look at the object data on COVID-19 to make sound decisions with. Black and white emotion based decisions from risk averse predispositions will almost always end with "choice paralysis", i.e., do nothing.
Nebraska Rt - Effective Reproduction Rate

I have been pretty solid on the side that COVID plays a real risk and threat to the US. But at the same time, these kids are already practicing, going to class and living their lives. Adding 8 games is not going to meaningfully increase their risk profiles. And when you look at the benefit of them now being tested daily, with follow up plans for medical tests if they find a positive test, this actually IMPROVES their risk profile in relation to the virus overall as they can have early intervention if they get infected.

On a side note, it also gives us a good base to drive data across a multi-state region of college athletics to help us better understand infection rates and impacts. You know, the kind of information that we didn't have up front that is key to understanding and handling the virus.

I agreed with the decision to cancel but in light of the new testing available, I'm glad to see it back. My primary concern has always been with the players health and well-being. I didn't think playing football in the middle of a global pandemic that has killed nearly 200,000 people was a good idea when there wasn't adequate testing available. Now that they've secured the testing, I'm all for it.

Hopefully these rapid tests are more accurate and if so, become more widely available. Quicker testing should help with contact tracing which will hopefully allow for a quicker return to pre-covid normalcy. The sooner that time comes, the better.

Handling COVID-19 risk in public and private life has been extremely divisive in organization after organization that we all have to deal with, whether it be churches, universities, local businesses including restaurants, places of work, schools, etc., etc.. And we see it here in the OP's original post. Differences in risk averse attitudes are on full display in this thread just as it was in the University Presidents and Chancellors deliberations. People do or should have a choice in these matters, and if these players want to take the risk individually to play, then given all the due diligence of health safety that can be taken, they should be able to play. OP, I understand your concerns, and you probably have family who are affected by COVID-19. But your desire to extend your freedom to be protected from COVID-19 into the space in which others choose to live - affecting their own lives and opportunities, and taking away their freedoms, is an over-extension of your desires upon others. It is sort of a total control approach in which because of your concerns you are willing or desiring to take away the rights of others, who, after being informed of the risks themselves, would choose to go ahead and take a less limiting approach to their life functions. This same debate and disagreement is played out this year in setting after setting after setting. More versus less risk averse people struggle to deal with this issue, and cant fathom the attitudes of others seeking to take actions that they dont see as rational and reasonable.

Reactions: aNUstart
I"m seeing junior high kids practice. knocking heads, spit and snot flying everywhere. UNSAFE!

Either this is serious enough that we just totally shut down all social interaction in America or we take precautions and get on with it. I suspect most prefer the latter.

have a daughter in stillwater.
covid has been very active on campus.
her boyfriend had it. folks are older (his dad's a Cornhusker!) and they never got it when he quarantined at home.
i dont know if any one she knows has had it bad or are even symptomatic.
an entire sorority got it on 'picture day' and they locked it down.
they're all fine, now.
am i going up there and get in the middle of all that crap? no.
campuses and kids there are fine.
id gather their professors like them there, too.
and have determined ways to mitigate.

have a friend whose brother has it - younger, but close to our age.
has it bad. nearing two weeks of the typical symptoms and add in vomiting and diarrhea.
his family hasn't caught it...he's quarantined.

my wife is speech therapist in the schools and my youngest has asthma and they're anxious about kids/teachers not wearing masks properly at school.
we'd prefer them not to get it.
they are not that uncomfortable.

you can and should be smart about it.
despite what the b1g conference 'leaders' think.

Pretty sure it is killing many more people that are not playing football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT