ADVERTISEMENT

Isaac Zatecha, preferred walk-on

I think it was mentioned in one of the other several threads already started on this topic that he has a sister there

IMO, seems like the kid just wants to follow his own path, can’t fault him for that. Best of luck to him, stay healthy.

Reactions: FLAGBR
He may actually care about the academics of the college as well as the football program. Depending on his planned major, perhaps Mizzou may be his best choice.
I'm not ripping on my alma mater, but other colleges have good programs too. Mizzou has a solid academic reputation.

He may actually care about the academics of the college as well as the football program. Depending on his planned major, perhaps Mizzou may be his best choice.
I'm not ripping on my alma mater, but other colleges have good programs too. Mizzou has a solid academic reputation.
Mizzou’s journalism program is nationally recognized.

Reactions: Catch50
I got my post grad degree from Mizzou. Columbia is very similar to Lincoln in a lot of ways. I preferred living in Lincoln by a long ways though. Even back in the 80s there was a huge problem with drugs and gang violence in their housing projects.

He had PWO from NU, KSU, and there... guess he thinks it is a better program. May not disagree
Time for us to realize that losing season after losing season has taken its toll. I would bet most young men don’t look at the program in its current state as a place they would want to play

Frost is running out of time to sell a rebuild. At some point he will no longer be able to convince anyone that he can turn this thing around . If he wasn’t a Nebraska boy his time would be up now or at the very least he would be on notice.

If my son were going through the process, I would want him to consider all options, and then make the best decision for HIM. Far too many parents impose their wish list on their kids, only to see it backfire badly.

And honestly, would YOU choose to go to Nebraska right now? What about the team, coaches, strength program, facilities, academics, or student life stands out to you in a positive way? I have two degrees from UNL, and love my alma mater, but be honest it's a real shitshow right now.

If my son were going through the process, I would want him to consider all options, and then make the best decision for HIM. Far too many parents impose their wish list on their kids, only to see it backfire badly.

And honestly, would YOU choose to go to Nebraska right now? What about the team, coaches, strength program, facilities, academics, or student life stands out to you in a positive way? I have two degrees from UNL, and love my alma mater, but be honest it's a real shitshow right now.

The school or just the football program?

Just moved out of Columbia after 20 years. Too dang much violence going on there. Don’t get me wrong, we still work in Columbia, but just got tired of all the BS. Moved on out to the country, much happier now!

Reactions: dinglefritz
The school or just the football program?

Good question. I'm just talking about football in this case. Education is a whole different question.

I've worked at two different universities for 12 years of my 22 post-college career. Honestly, I think for most majors, there is very little difference between a public university and an elite "name" school with insane tuition. The exception might be for certain engineering/computer science majors where the quality of labs, research, graduate students, and surrounding students may impact your education. But ultimately what really matters in college is what you put into it.

For undergraduate programs, they're all teaching out of the same textbooks, and following the same curricula. Not every student can handle a 500-seat lecture hall, though, so some small schools definitely offer a more personal experience, and that means private school, and that means more money.

My tune completely changes for graduate school, especially for professional schools and research-heavy majors in STEM. At that point, facilities matter, labs matter, faculty matters, research grants matter, co-authoring publications matters, etc.

Just my opinion, but the U.S. News & World Report university rankings are total and complete bullshit from start to finish. If you look at the criteria, it focuses on things like what percentage of applicants were rejected. That says nothing about the actual quality of the education.

If an independent body polled all college graduates, asked if they were working in their field of study, and recorded how much money they were making, I think rankings would change dramatically. It would probably convince all of those sociology, poly-sci, and anthropology majors to go find something else to study.

Just moved out of Columbia after 20 years. Too dang much violence going on there. Don’t get me wrong, we still work in Columbia, but just got tired of all the BS. Moved on out to the country, much happier now!
I heard lots of banjos on the backroads around Columbia. Especially just to the west of Hallsville.

Height for a walk-on? That's the last thing I'd be worried about if he's 2 inches shorter than ideal.
meh. His sister is down there and he's not worthy at this point of a D-1 scholarship. IF he wanted to come to Nebraska he would have. Good luck to him. I was hoping he would walk on and work his ass off to get to contribute some day. I suspect he'll drink lots of beer at Bullwinkles in Columbia. Good for him if that's what he wants.

Him going down there has nothing to do with our staff.

Reactions: WHCSC
meh. His sister is down there and he's not worthy at this point of a D-1 scholarship. IF he wanted to come to Nebraska he would have. Good luck to him. I was hoping he would walk on and work his ass off to get to contribute some day. I suspect he'll drink lots of beer at Bullwinkles in Columbia. Good for him if that's what he wants.

Him going down there has nothing to do with our staff.
You don't think a Husker legacy not wanting to come here is a problem? It's a huge problem when they'd rather walk-on at freaking Missouri instead. You make a lot of stuff up to try to protect the staff, so your last statement just makes me believe the opposite.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
You don't think a Husker legacy not wanting to come here is a problem? It's a huge problem when they'd rather walk-on at freaking Missouri instead. You make a lot of stuff up to try to protect the staff, so your last statement just makes me believe the opposite.
Poor take. Kid just isn’t good enough. How do I know? Because every coach in the FBS agrees.

I saw ONE clip on Isaac and between that, his size and his last name, I hoped he would walk on at Nebraska. I'm not heartbroken that he won't be taking up a locker at NU. He has about a 1% chance of ever playing at Missouri. That's fine. Hope he enjoys his time there. The slight drawl in the voice of some of the women is delightful and beer is good there too. IF we're hanging our hopes for success on players like Isaac, we're doomed. We've got plenty of other homegrown kids to provide the heart.

Reactions: Rick.Shaw and WHCSC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT