ADVERTISEMENT

Isaac Gifford

Just for clarity, Isaac was a “blueshirt” promised a scholarship after initially starting as a walk-on.
It was strategic to avoid him counting against the class signing limit.

“That means Gifford would have to pay his own way as a walk-on for the spring and summer before receiving a scholarship at the start of fall camp.”

The early word is he’s been in the mix for a young player. We certainly need guys to fill in at safety after the seniors leave.

the coaching staff has been absolutely horrible at evaluating prospects so far.....I think he needs to give the local kid a break and an offer. Isaac Gifford ........

What are you talking about?

Isaac Gifford

1) Has been offered a scholarship to play football by this staff
2) Accepted that scholarship offer
3) Is currently on a football scholarship at DONU
4) Played in most every game last season

So....you are saying a kid who has the abilities to play at the next level....has shown success locally.... who grows up in lincoln...a life long Husker fan...attends Husker games with 90,000 other Huskers fans.....wears Husker attire/hats his entire life...who has only seen good Husker football on video.....will not have a little more motivation to succeed than a kid growing up in Florida or California ?

Huskers have brand loyalty like no other college football team....we have supported them through some pretty bad football and the worst being the last three years.

All I am saying is just because they are local Nebraska kids doesn't mean they have to "walk on" and hope for scholarship when they are a senior. AND no....you can not give every Nebraska kid a scholarship. But, I think there is a reason to look differently at those kids. As a fan base we love to see a Nebraska kid playing Husker football.

The entire recruiting process is cherry picking who you think will be successful and sometimes (as we have seen) settling for the second or third choice).

I don’t think childhood fandom relates to motivation when you are a college football player. You’re either a motivated person or you aren’t. Was Crouch or Frost more motivated than Frazier because they were local kids? Would Harrison Phillips been more motivated if he came to Nebraska? I don’t think so. I think they were motivated people regardless of where they played.

Reactions: Red I 73
I don’t think childhood fandom relates to motivation when you are a college football player. You’re either a motivated person or you aren’t. Was Crouch or Frost more motivated than Frazier because they were local kids? Would Harrison Phillips been more motivated if he came to Nebraska? I don’t think so. I think they were motivated people regardless of where they played.
Frost and Crouch I think were more motivated....Tommie was more talented. I can agree that some people can be in general more self-motivated then others.....I am not saying that isn't true.....but I think you are simply wrong...culture/family/pride can lead to a higher level of motivation.

Even though I am sure you're a professional in what motivates individuals...you can believe whatever the hell you want....just as I can.

Isaac Gifford

I thought he was but didn't remember for sure and did not check. I just responded to the initial post....because I do think local kids...need extra consideration and are more motivated (to a point anyway)

I thought he was but didn't remember for sure and did not check. I just responded to the initial post....because I do think local kids...need extra consideration and are more motivated (to a point anyway)
Do you have a motivational meter to measure individuals to compare or are you just taking a shot in the dark?

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I really dislike the idea that local kids automatically play harder. It’s easy to cherry pick players. What about Bradley, Walker, Engelhaupt, Neal?
If local kids play harder what kind of shit coach and evaluator are you?

Isaac Gifford

Wait how many isaac gifford's are there?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT