ADVERTISEMENT

Isaac Gifford

Honest question, no passive aggressive sarcasm, why does he have one P5 offer? I'm in favor of giving local guys and legacies a shot.

6’ 195 lb safety who’s a senior, I’m sure he would be welcomed as a walk on.

Honest question, no passive aggressive sarcasm, why does he have one P5 offer? I'm in favor of giving local guys and legacies a shot.
Because we are in on a platinum 5 star Juco . Mauga is a kid who no one has offered either. Mauga a kid who played on an awful Juco defense on an awful Juco team. Went 2-7 his freshman year. 3-7 his sophomore year. But his 3 minute highlight film looks great. So we’ve got that to look forward to

Because we are in on a platinum 5 star Juco . Mauga is a kid who no one has offered either. Mauga a kid who played on an awful Juco defense on an awful Juco team. Went 2-7 his freshman year. 3-7 his sophomore year. But his 3 minute highlight film looks great. So we’ve got that to look forward to
Don’t see the need to crap on another recruit, but you do you, I guess.

Chinander told him if he walked on that he would likely get a scholarship his second year.

Don’t see the need to crap on another recruit, but you do you, I guess.
It was a low blow by me. I’ll give you that. He’s probably a great kid. I just think it’s a high risk, hi reward offer. Fingers are crossed

Last edited:
I think they offer him at the last minute if they miss on a couple targets. I would guarantee him a scholarship his 2nd year barring serious injury and I wouldn't redshirt him. We need players like him running down on kickoff coverage right now!!!!

I think they offer him at the last minute if they miss on a couple targets. I would guarantee him a scholarship his 2nd year barring serious injury and I wouldn't redshirt him. We need players like him running down on kickoff coverage right now!!!!

Didn't the coaches say the same thing to Stalbird and Moses Bryant? If Gifford is better than Tony Butler or Pernell Jefferson, offer him now and tell them to move on.

I'll pass this on to Frost. Expect it to be a done deal within the week. ;)

Reactions: tpmcg
Chinander told him if he walked on that he would likely get a scholarship his second year.
Well I got news for ya, he isnt any better then Stahlbird was out of HS and Stahlbird aint getting a scholly after 2 years of work.

Sounds like he is used to loosing. Bring him on!!

I bet Luke would get out on the field when it would be cold and knock the snot out of them there 4 star dudes!! Put him in Texas and he has 20 offers! Sign him up! Scottie!!

Gifford should be a lock to get on the travel roster as they don't have a lot of experienced safeties. Going to compete with Gates for the backup spot behind Williams. I see it as an "OR" right now. Gifford in against run first teams and Gates in against passing teams. Just guessing.

I'm guessing it could look like this....
Williams, Gifford or Gates, Buford
Dismuke, Farmer, Gifford, Bretz

Kpai might also be put at safety as an OR with Bretz as they don't have a lot of safeties. Kpai would be moved to OLB in the future when he gets a little bigger. Same process they did with Domann and Wright. Just another guess.

Gifford should be a lock to get on the travel roster as they don't have a lot of experienced safeties. Going to compete with Gates for the backup spot behind Williams. I see it as an "OR" right now. Gifford in against run first teams and Gates in against passing teams. Just guessing.

I'm guessing it could look like this....
Williams, Gifford or Gates, Buford
Dismuke, Farmer, Gifford, Bretz

Kpai might also be put at safety as an OR with Bretz as they don't have a lot of safeties. Kpai would be moved to OLB in the future when he gets a little bigger. Same process they did with Domann and Wright. Just another guess.

Pretty sure he was on the two deep last year. I expect him to contribute this year.

the coaching staff has been absolutely horrible at evaluating prospects so far.....I think he needs to give the local kid a break and an offer. Isaac Gifford because he would have much more motivation to excel ...do the necessary.....play with reckless abandon......more than a kid from some where else. He would probably have instant motivation.....look at Reimers....Snodgrass....Jurgens as examples

the coaching staff has been absolutely horrible at evaluating prospects so far.....I think he needs to give the local kid a break and an offer. Isaac Gifford because he would have much more motivation to excel ...do the necessary.....play with reckless abandon......more than a kid from some where else. He would probably have instant motivation.....look at Reimers....Snodgrass....Jurgens as examples

I really dislike the idea that local kids automatically play harder. It’s easy to cherry pick players. What about Bradley, Walker, Engelhaupt, Neal?

I really dislike the idea that local kids automatically play harder. It’s easy to cherry pick players. What about Bradley, Walker, Engelhaupt, Neal?
Isaac Gifford was at the same developmental level as his brother Luke coming out of high school. Luke was a very good player for us and is now in the NFL. I don't see Isaac as in the same group you mentioned.

Isaac Gifford was at the same developmental level as his brother Luke coming out of high school. Luke was a very good player for us and is now in the NFL. I don't see Isaac as in the same group you mentioned.

can we stop using the meteoric “development” and rise of Luke Gifford up the depth chart and into the NFL as an example to be lauded

Last edited:
can we stop using the meteoric “development” and rise of Luke Gifford up the depth chart and into the NFL as an example to be lauded
There's no indication he was taking anything while he was here. Luke had similar physicals to his brother coming out of high school, and both are very good physical attributes for a college player. Guys get desperate when they're at the lower rungs of the NFL and trying to make a name for themselves or get an NFL contract. Guys can be clean all throughout college, but the NFL is a whole different ballgame.

There's no indication he was taking anything while he was here. Luke had similar physicals to his brother coming out of high school, and both are very good physical attributes for a college player. Guys get desperate when they're at the lower rungs of the NFL and trying to make a name for themselves or get an NFL contract. Guys can be clean all throughout college, but the NFL is a whole different ballgame.

ok

So....you are saying a kid who has the abilities to play at the next level....has shown success locally.... who grows up in lincoln...a life long Husker fan...attends Husker games with 90,000 other Huskers fans.....wears Husker attire/hats his entire life...who has only seen good Husker football on video.....will not have a little more motivation to succeed than a kid growing up in Florida or California ?

Huskers have brand loyalty like no other college football team....we have supported them through some pretty bad football and the worst being the last three years.

All I am saying is just because they are local Nebraska kids doesn't mean they have to "walk on" and hope for scholarship when they are a senior. AND no....you can not give every Nebraska kid a scholarship. But, I think there is a reason to look differently at those kids. As a fan base we love to see a Nebraska kid playing Husker football.

The entire recruiting process is cherry picking who you think will be successful and sometimes (as we have seen) settling for the second or third choice).

Reactions: Herbert Husker

tumblr_ptqkovC9Oa1s9a9yjo1_400.gif

ADVERTISEMENT