ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the year? 2021?

Cloud@Heart

Senior
Aug 13, 2005
Helena, MT
Read a post saying that there will be 30 juniors on the team next fall. Some have said that next fall will be brutal with "murder's row" to end the season and that 7-5 will be difficult to obtain.......

In 2021 there will be nearly 30 seniors and lots of talent from 2 or 3 above average recruiting classes in a row. Is 2021 the year we exceed expectations and become nationally relevant again?

2021 are we shooting for 11-1 and not settling for anything less than 9-3.....

I know some will ask to see what 2020 brings before any bold statements, but its the offseason, and I was curious what the schedule was for the year after "murder's row" (that I am not buying into).

Saturday
Aug. 28 vs Illinois Fighting IlliniAviva Stadium, Dublin, Ireland Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 4
OFF

Saturday
Sep. 11 Buffalo BullsMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 18 at Oklahoma SoonersGaylord Family OK Mem. Stadium, Norman, OK Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 25 at Michigan State SpartansSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MI Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 2 Ohio State BuckeyesMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 9 Northwestern WildcatsMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 16 at Purdue BoilermakersRoss-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 23
OFF

Saturday
Oct. 30 Michigan WolverinesMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 6 Iowa HawkeyesMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 13 Southeastern La. LionsMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 20 Wisconsin BadgersMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA ETTV TBA
Friday
Nov. 26 at Minnesota Golden GophersTCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN Time TBA ETTV TBA

If okie and osu can maintain their playoff level teams,maybe not these two, we should be in any game, likely favored in most against the better teams.
We do have a few hurdles in our roster, as we are bunched at some spots in class/experience, so, there's bound to be some attrition.
We have too many wrs at rsfrosh/frosh for instance, and some new guys won't redshirt.

Last edited:
Read a post saying that there will be 30 juniors on the team next fall. Some have said that next fall will be brutal with "murder's row" to end the season and that 7-5 will be difficult to obtain.......

In 2021 there will be nearly 30 seniors and lots of talent from 2 or 3 above average recruiting classes in a row. Is 2021 the year we exceed expectations and become nationally relevant again?

2021 are we shooting for 11-1 and not settling for anything less than 9-3.....

I know some will ask to see what 2020 brings before any bold statements, but its the offseason, and I was curious what the schedule was for the year after "murder's row" (that I am not buying into).

Saturday
Aug. 28 vs Illinois Fighting IlliniAviva Stadium, Dublin, Ireland Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 4
OFF

Saturday
Sep. 11 Buffalo BullsMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 18 at Oklahoma SoonersGaylord Family OK Mem. Stadium, Norman, OK Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Sep. 25 at Michigan State SpartansSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MI Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 2 Ohio State BuckeyesMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 9 Northwestern WildcatsMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 16 at Purdue BoilermakersRoss-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Oct. 23
OFF

Saturday
Oct. 30 Michigan WolverinesMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 6 Iowa HawkeyesMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 13 Southeastern La. LionsMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA ETTV TBA
Saturday
Nov. 20 Wisconsin BadgersMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA ETTV TBA
Friday
Nov. 26 at Minnesota Golden GophersTCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN Time TBA ETTV TBA
After last year, I’m not counting on a thing. We already had more 4 star talent on the roster than Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Colorado. Until these guys learn how to coach in the big leagues, teams packed with 3 star talent will keep beating us.

After last year, I’m not counting on a thing. We already had more 4 star talent on the roster than Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Colorado. Until these guys learn how to coach in the big leagues, teams packed with 3 star talent will keep beating us.
your last sentence sure makes it seem like you're counting on something...............................

And if Frost finishes next year at 6-7 with a bowl, that would make 4 losing seasons out of 5 as a head coach. I hope it doesn't happen, but if that isn't a red flag, I don't know what is.

And if Frost finishes next year at 6-7 with a bowl, that would make 4 losing seasons out of 5 as a head coach. I hope it doesn't happen, but if that isn't a red flag, I don't know what is.
you call that a red flag?

GettyImages-457849678-768x464.jpg

this is a red flag!

GBR

Reactions: Chuck003
We had more on the roster, but were even on starters, each had seven ,compared to wiscy. And while we had one or two more four stars than wiscy, two werent starting and left or graduated, and wiscy has a five star.
I call bs.
The other teams, yes, but we also had more walkons than them too. So, do your homework before declaring a john Raridon a four star, better than a iowa,minny or wiscy o lineman. Same for a safety or two.

These are nothing but excuses to bash on the team, and coaches, but simply arent either true, or lack of dev by previous staffs are true,or previous staffs had lots of misses, but none of it should be applied today at this staff, and the team, all those other four stars on the roster, more than double the number of starters last year, which was 7 four stars starting, with 16 four stars coming in or red shirted, nows the time to make assessments instead of counting thin air like youre doing.

Also, of those seven 4* starters, one is AM, one is CJ, one is Wandale. So, two will be sophs this year. I point this out to show the difference in ceiling under SF than what idiots keep doing, pointing at Bo or MR recruits, and include all their misses, like mcquitty, raridon etc

So catch up to whats going on now, not whats happened in the past under different coaches who recruited at lower levels,certainly didn't develop their players,and mismanaged their rosters.
Those other four stars you're counting? Wildeman, injured,NPG,injured,Tannor, in the two deep, Ty Rob,redshirted,Luke Mc,redshirted,Henrich,injured/redshirted,Green,redshirted, and finally Benhart,redshirted.
So, 8 four stars redshirted, one in the two deep, and nine or ten coming in with the new class.
Please try harder while making excuses to bash this staff or team.

Last edited:
We had more on the roster, but were even on starters, each had seven ,compared to wiscy. And while we had one or two more four stars than wiscy, two werent starting and left or graduated, and wiscy has a five star.
I call bs.
The other teams, yes, but we also had more walkons than them too. So, do your homework before declaring a john Raridon a four star, better than a iowa,minny or wiscy o lineman. Same for a safety or two.

These are nothing but excuses to bash on the team, and coaches, but simply arent either true, or lack of dev by previous staffs are true,or previous staffs had lots of misses, but none of it should be applied today at this staff, and the team, all those other four stars on the roster, more than double the number of starters last year, which was 7 four stars starting, with 16 four stars coming in or red shirted, nows the time to make assessments instead of counting thin air like youre doing.

Also, of those seven 4* starters, one is AM, one is CJ, one is Wandale. So, two will be sophs this year. I point this out to show the difference in ceiling under SF than what idiots keep doing, pointing at Bo or MR recruits, and include all their misses, like mcquitty, raridon etc

So catch up to whats going on now, not whats happened in the past under different coaches who recruited at lower levels,certainly didn't develop their players,and mismanaged their rosters.
Those other four stars you're counting? Wildeman, injured,NPG,injured,Tannor, in the two deep, Ty Rob,redshirted,Luke Mc,redshirted,Henrich,injured/redshirted,Green,redshirted, and finally Benhart,redshirted.
So, 8 four stars redshirted, one in the two deep, and nine or ten coming in with the new class.
Speaking of excuses

I call bs.

There’s a big difference between a kid that was overrated and a kid that didn’t develop. You can’t put all of those busts on bad Rankings. You seem to justify all as busts and don’t put any on player development, which is very much on the coaching. If all of our 4 star recruits were “overrated” then we’d have to be the unluckiest team in the nation.

You single out Raridon as an overrated guy. He most definitely wasn’t overrated at the time. The kid had weight issues much of his career. He definitely had the ability to be a good interior lineman @ NU. His second issue was he was always going to be a center. Even after he got his weight more in line. And what the hell did he have in front of him @ Center these last 2 years while frost was here? 2 4 star recruits. Farmer and Jurgens aren’t exactly walk-ons. Cam is probably the most talented O-lineman we’ve had since, I don’t know maybe Carl Nicks? So you can’t use JR as a 4-star bust who was beat out by a walk-on. He’s been be out by other 4 stars.

The stupid ass excuses for former staffs bad recruiting for Frost ends now. Year 3. He’s recruited guys that will be juniors on this team. Mike Riley was fired after year 3. And I know frost won’t be fired this year if he loses. But if he doesn’t do well this year, it’s probably not going to work out for him here.

This has to be the year for a vast turnaround. I’m not talking pipe dream craziness. But I think 9-3 and a final top 25 ranking should happen. And I’m 100% behind Frost. I was one of the few that wanted Frost as an assistant when Bo was hired, wanted him as OC later down the road, wanted him as HC when Bo was fired.

And I know he will get it done this year. He has to. I think he had some weak links in the staff, especially at Offensive coordinator, Mickey Mouse shit that happend during the game that should never happen at this level of football. It’s almost embarrassing and laughable. But that’s where we were not where we will be. So no more shitty excuses ok. And Walters couldn’t develop. He didn’t develop a single guy while he was here.

Lastly, hope to hell you didn’t “like” and single one of those dam walk-ons we got this year. Cause you make it sound like a failure if any of those dam kids actually pan out. News flash- that’s what the dam walk-on program is there for. Low risk high reward.

Last edited:
There’s a big difference between a kid that was overrated and a kid that didn’t develop. You can’t put all of those busts on bad Rankings. You seem to justify all as busts and don’t put any on player development, which is very much on the coaching. If all of our 4 star recruits were “overrated” then we’d have to be the unluckiest team in the nation.

You single out Raridon as an overrated guy. He most definitely wasn’t overrated at the time. The kid had weight issues much of his career. He definitely had the ability to be a good interior lineman @ NU. His second issue was he was always going to be a center. Even after he got his weight more in line. And what the hell did he have in front of him @ Center these last 2 years while frost was here? 2 4 star recruits. Farmer and Jurgens aren’t exactly walk-ons. Cam is probably the most talented O-lineman we’ve had since, I don’t know maybe Carl Nicks? So you can’t use JR as a 4-star bust who was beat out by a walk-on. He’s been be out by other 4 stars.

The stupid ass excuses for former staffs bad recruiting for Frost ends now. Year 3. He’s recruited guys that will be juniors on this team. Mike Riley was fired after year 3. And I know frost won’t be fired this year if he loses. But if he doesn’t do well this year, it’s probably not going to work out for him here.

This has to be the year for a vast turnaround. I’m not talking pipe dream craziness. But I think 9-3 and a final top 25 ranking should happen. And I’m 100% behind Frost. I was one of the few that wanted Frost as an assistant when Bo was hired, wanted him as OC later down the road, wanted him as HC when Bo was fired.

And I know he will get it done this year. He has to. I think he had some weak links in the staff, especially at Offensive coordinator, Mickey Mouse shit that happend during the game that should never happen at this level of football. It’s almost embarrassing and laughable. But that’s where we were not where we will be. So no more shitty excuses ok. And Walters couldn’t develop. He didn’t develop a single guy while he was here.

Lastly, hope to hell you didn’t “like” and single one of those dam walk-ons we got this year. Cause you make it sound like a failure if any of those dam kids actually pan out. News flash- that’s what the dam walk-on program is there for. Low risk high reward.
Ok, smart guy, you ignore what I said, then tell me what I meant?
Try again, reread what I wrote, about previous staffs not developing their guys, and thats NOT to be expected from this staff.
As for walkons, I mentioned we also started more than other teams, best man up, which again, speaks poorly towards developing the guys those coaches did recruit.
So, all n all, you are a spinner, and thats it.

Raridon was as highly rated as CJ, but indeed did get bear out by a walkon. 6'2" is very short for any lineman in todays game, keep spinning. I had high hopes for Raridon too, but his first years wasn't under this staff,again, my point, you seem to try to dance around.

Then finally, you make my point again, yes, it ends now, I just gave you the numbers of guys NOT playing, but had been counted as to how good we're supposed to be, but they redshirted, how the hell do you defend that? Or did that get by you too?

Learn to read what I say, why I say it before you have to spin my words.

Last edited:
I call bs.

That’s why this staff needs a few more years of top recruiting. It’s not fair that other teams never have misses on recruits, but unfortunately that appears to be the hand that the Huskers have been dealt.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Ok, smart guy, you ignore what I said, then tell me what I meant?
Try again, reread what I wrote, about previous staffs not developing their guys, and thats NOT to be expected from this staff.
As for walkons, I mentioned we also started more than other teams, best man up, which again, speaks poorly towards developing the guys those coaches did recruit.
So, all n all, you are a spinner, and thats it.

Raridon was as highly rated as CJ, but indeed did get bear out by a walkon. 6'2" is very short for any lineman in todays game, keep spinning. I had high hopes for Raridon too, but his first years wasn't under this staff,again, my point, you seem to try to dance around.

Then finally, you make my point again, yes, it ends now, I just gave you the numbers of guys NOT playing, but had been counted as to how good we're supposed to be, but they redshirted, how the hell do you defend that? Or did that get by you too?

Learn to read what I say, why I say it before you have to spin my words.
I re-read it, read it again, and it still reads like an excuse. The staff had enough talent last year to win 4 or 5 more games. The ultimate problem with the program is it lacks confidence and without dam confidence you aren’t going to win. If the team can’t find confidence this year to win, they aren’t going to find it next year, when the schedule is much worse...all games are winnable in 2020 excluding 2 to 3. If we won all but 3, I’d be happy. My bar isn’t that high right now.

Reactions: bigredhunter
I re-read it, read it again, and it still reads like an excuse. The staff had enough talent last year to win 4 or 5 more games. The ultimate problem with the program is it lacks confidence and without dam confidence you aren’t going to win. If the team can’t find confidence this year to win, they aren’t going to find it next year, when the schedule is much worse...all games are winnable in 2020 excluding 2 to 3. If we won all but 3, I’d be happy. My bar isn’t that high right now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespu...ollege-football-10-hardest-2020-schedules/amp

Some analysts have Nebraska with the 5th toughest schedule in 2020.

That being said, I would agree that the schedule is tougher in 2021, but not by much.

2020/2021:
Combined win totals: 97/101
Ten-win teams: 6/5
Six-win or fewer teams: 4/3
Division winners: 4/2
Conference winners: 1/2
Playoff Teams: 1/2

This doesn't take into account the scheduling variations either. In 2021 Nebraska plays a neutral site game and one fewer true road game. It also gets a reprieve with an FCS opponent late in the year to split matchups with Michigan/Iowa and Wisconsin/Minnesota. In 2020 NU closes with aOSU/Penn State/Iowa/Wisconsin/Minnesota...each a team that won at least 10 games last year. Set your bar wherever you like, but be cognizant of the facts as well.

Reactions: bigredhunter
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespu...ollege-football-10-hardest-2020-schedules/amp

That being said, I would agree that the schedule is tougher in 2021, but not by much.

2020/2021:

This doesn't take into account the scheduling variations either. In 2021 Nebraska plays a neutral site game and one fewer true road game. It also gets a reprieve with an FCS opponent late in the year to split matchups with Michigan/Iowa and Wisconsin/Minnesota. In 2020 NU closes with aOSU/Penn State/Iowa/Wisconsin/Minnesota...each a team that won at least 10 games last year. Set your bar wherever you like, but be cognizant of the facts as well.

the bar is set to win the division otherwise what the hell are we fielding a team for

if the conference is too tough - we can look to petition the mountain west conference and then some can start wringing their hands about the altitude in Laramie or whether we have Colorado State at home or on the road

Last edited:

2020/2021:

Yeah our 5 most Difficult games are at the end of the season. Should be 7-0 going into those and even if we go 2-3 in the last 5, 9-3 is a successful season IMO. Not sure we have a top 10 SOS next year though.

We play in the B1G so it’s never going to be easy. But next year should be more than do-able for a 9-3 season. 247 is a source I use more and they don’t have our SOS as high as the link you posted.

I’ve honestly never herd of southernpigskin.com so I’m not putting a lot of stock in his ratings when others don’t have that. That prime click bait. Our non-conference sos won’t ever be easier. I know Cincy is solid but it’s not OU.

Yeah our 5 most Difficult games are at the end of the season. Should be 7-0 going into those and even if we go 2-3 in the last 5, 9-3 is a successful season IMO. Not sure we have a top 10 SOS next year though.

We play in the B1G so it’s never going to be easy. But next year should be more than do-able for a 9-3 season. 247 is a source I use more and they don’t have our SOS as high as the link you posted.

I’ve honestly never herd of southernpigskin.com so I’m not putting a lot of stock in his ratings when others don’t have that. That prime click bait. Our non-conference sos won’t ever be easier. I know Cincy is solid but it’s not OU.
Perhaps you could put stock in the other data presented as it's irrefutable and easily interpreted and compared.

the bar is set to win the division otherwise what the hell are we fielding a team for

if the conference is too tough - we can look to petition the mountain west conference.
If you're looking for Nebraska to win based strictly on the N on the helmet while ignoring every other factor you're likely going to be angry with the results nearly every year. Please bring something of substance to your future posts.

Reactions: headcard
If you're looking for Nebraska to win based strictly on the N on the helmet while ignoring every other factor you're likely going to be angry with the results nearly every year. Please bring something of substance to your future posts.

fair or not, life and football have a scoreboard, you shouldn't run from it, you should embrace it

who said that?

own you record

fair or not, life and football have a scoreboard, you shouldn't run from it, you should embrace it

who said that?

own you record
Try understanding your record.

You can say scoreboard on a continuous loop, and you do, but every high achiever in the world takes a process-oriented approach to success. Meanwhile, you're fixated on a result-oriented approach because it's simple and it's what you understand.

You can say scoreboard on a continuous loop, and you do, but every high achiever in the world takes a process-oriented approach to success. Meanwhile, you're fixated on a result-oriented approach because it's simple and it's what you understand.

again who said this?

I'm not taking any approach

again, who said this? I can help you if you wish

again, who said this? I can help you if you wish

I'm not saying scoreboard - our head coach is

are you saying our coach isn’t a high achiever? - that seems a bit harsh

Keeping score matters. Everyone knows this, including Scott Frost.

Where you're failing is in understanding what stage of the process the program is on. You're pounding the table because you want to see the program go from step 3 to step 10. I'm telling you that you'd have a better understanding of things if you studied steps 4-9 and why they're important, too.

who said that?

own you record
this is, what, the 5th time you've posted this quote over the last couple weeks?

I really don't know who you think is running from the scoreboard, but would enjoy an explanation one day. 9-15 9-15 9-15

keep it coming! hahaha.

Reactions: Hastings4Huskers

"we are going to compete for the division in year 2" -- seems pretty results-orientated to me

Failing to understand why you're losing, which is what you're doing, doesn't mean that you stop keeping score.

You and a few other posters have set arbitrary deadlines and baselines for success or failure that are pointless. Comparing Scott Frost to Mike Riley when their timelines are completely different is pointless. Saying that a coach under contract for six more years has to win 9-10 games this year or he's a failure is the exact opposite of what everyone in the program is demonstrating by giving him a recent contract extension, expanding facilities, and giving the head coach autonomy in his hires. It's also pointless.

A foundation for success is being painstakingly built for this program. It's going to be built brick by brick and it might take a little longer than you like, but it's happening.

Failing to understand why you're losing, which is what you're doing, doesn't mean that you stop keeping score.

You and a few other posters have set arbitrary deadlines and baselines for success or failure that are pointless. Comparing Scott Frost to Mike Riley when their timelines are completely different is pointless. Saying that a coach under contract for six more years has to win 9-10 games this year or he's a failure is the exact opposite of what everyone in the program is demonstrating by giving him a recent contract extension, expanding facilities, and giving the head coach autonomy in his hires. It's also pointless.

A foundation for success is being painstakingly built for this program. It's going to be built brick by brick and it might take a little longer than you like, but it's happening.
Very good post. It's a shame this will fly over his head, again.

You and a few other posters have set arbitrary deadlines and baselines for success or failure that are pointless. .

I didn't set any deadline -- our coach said year 2 and then watch out in year 3
personally I though it would take longer -- but the guy making 5 mill a year came off the top rope with year 2

personally I though it would take longer -- but the guy making 5 mill a year came off the top rope with year 2
High achievers set lofty goals. If you interpreted his goal of competing for the division in year 2 as a Joe Namath-esque prediction that's your bad.

“If we play well I think we’ll be dangerous,” Frost said. “If we don’t play well we can get thumped again.”

Quote from the exact same interview.

Go rewatch both of the Frost B1G media days videos on YouTube, each one is over 45 minutes, and Frost talks in detail about how far the program has to go, particularly on the lines.

Reactions: husker2612
High achievers set lofty goals. If you interpreted his goal of competing for the division in year 2 as a Joe Namath-esque prediction that's your bad.

high achievers achieve lofty goals

those who set lofty goals and do not even come within a country mile of them are high underachievers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT