ADVERTISEMENT

Is this board dying?

H3 is the type of “fan” who deserves the program right now. Trash person, trash follows him. He insists on program inbreeding. Now that the webbed feet offspring is in charge, you see the results
you seem somewhat bitter, if I remember right h3 had good info bout the program.

Reactions: scarletred
Some fans have moved on, some continue to follow the program for social reasons only, some are in wait and see mode, and some are optimistic about the season. My best guess is about 25% of each and only the last 25% really feels like talking much.

This thread just shows how badly we need to fire Frost. The program is a joke. No one gives a crap about a losing dogshit program. But it isn’t that people don’t care about CFB… I know Bama, tOSU, Clemson, UGA, USC fans are pumped for the season.
They have reason to be, we don’t.
I am lucky to have gone though the 90s in my 20s and seeing our greatness and how every teams fans envied us… the memories are all that is left

I'm excited for the season but I'm also not expecting much. I'm hoping for a bowl game and meaningful progress but we'll see. It's tough when you watch your team for the last decade be completely irrelevant before September is even over. I want to watch relevant, competitive football being played in Lincoln but I don't think this will be the year we see that though I REALLY hope to be proven wrong. I'm also hoping that the trend of "finding new ways to lose" has finally ended, I'm sick of that.

I'm excited for the season but I'm also not expecting much. I'm hoping for a bowl game and meaningful progress but we'll see. It's tough when you watch your team for the last decade be completely irrelevant before September is even over. I want to watch relevant, competitive football being played in Lincoln but I don't think this will be the year we see that though I REALLY hope to be proven wrong. I'm also hoping that the trend of "finding new ways to lose" has finally ended, I'm sick of that.
This perfectly exemplifies the Scott Frost effect on Husker Football. “Meaningful progress” 5 years in is defined by finally going to a bowl.

For all the crap we shovel at other programs in our division and conference few have such low self esteem that they would tolerate a coach with Frost’s record this long

Well... I guess count me in the camp that although I've hated our product for a long time I still am all in. My daughters just got their new NU cheerleading outfits and they are excited for the season as well. For me, even though we suck, I have a sense of pride being an alum, growing up in the state and definitely look forward to football every year even though it'll probably all come crashing down game 1. Husker Football is in my blood and as much as they try to push me away I will continue to support it until I die and probably waste much more of my precious time on this board discussing some hope of optimism for the upcoming or current season. Go Big Red!
I got totally hooked on Husker football in 1962 when I was 9 years old. You're right, it gets in your blood. I guess, I've always loved the football highs more than I hated the football lows. And we've had a helluva dose of both sides of those emotions.

I'm the type of "fan" who is wllling to throw a head coaches ass out the door when he proves he no longer, or never could, produce an on field product we can have pride in cheering for.

I refuse to pay one penny to a program that lingers for a few years when its apparent NU has the wrong guy leading the team. Frost is the latest in a long list of coaches who offer ZERO hope of regaining respect.

Us fans have went from the Devaney/Osborne days of receiving a 100K a year emotional paycheck to the last 2 decades of mainly trying to subsist on food stamps and having our spirit broken while waiting for the day a stimulus shows up with returning to a respectful place among the top 20 teams in the nation.

We've become like a family that enjoyed 30 years of emotional uplifting and consuming the benefits of a highly successful diet of winning to that of a beaten down/nearly broken family that necessity has forced into the food pantry, picking out dented cans and out of date food, trying to not make eye contact with those who know we no longer belong in the expensive arena.

For those that continue to think Frost inherited a mess, which he did, and it could take another 5 years to build this program, I say bullshit. In a completely different era, Devaney showed up and took over a team, in the preceding 5 years had season records such as this from 1957-1961:
1-9, 3-7, 4-6, 4-6, 3-6-1.

The University of Nebraska has never been opposed to sending huge amounts of money into the football program to strive to become an elite program. With the facilities, the ability to raise large amounts of money, the building of a high tech facility and the best of the best of offerings to potential players. Throw in the NIL money that NU has been willing to use to gain some real good players through the portal, I refuse to believe this program is totally dead. On life support, but still breathing.

The overall physical structure of this football team continues to vastly improve. Of course, NU has shortcomings in the Offensive line, and other critical areas. But, the physical part proved last year it could compete with high level teams despite the apparent weaknesses in coaching.

The missing piece is finding that one coach, who may or may not exist, and NU can return to respectability.

With all due respect, this has amounted to a Friday reminder to myself, that all is not totally lost.

This perfectly exemplifies the Scott Frost effect on Husker Football. “Meaningful progress” 5 years in is defined by finally going to a bowl.

For all the crap we shovel at other programs in our division and conference few have such low self esteem that they would tolerate a coach with Frost’s record this long
I have zero control over whether Frost stays or goes. If I did, he would've been canned after year 3 for sure with an argument for after year 2. So if I'm stuck with him as coach, then I will have to hope for meaningful progress as that's all that is left as a fan.

Ginger Jesus was never a savior. He was always a fraud, and a liar. Some of us knew exactly what he was, while you were kneeling before him, begging
Ginger Jesus?
giphy.gif

Ginger Jesus?
giphy.gif
Now this is Panda, from Mexico. Very good stuff. This is Bava, different, but equally good. And this is Choco from the Hartz Mountains of Germany. Now the
first two are the same, forty-five an ounce -- those are friend prices -- but this one...this one's a little more expensive. It's fifty-five. But when you shoot it, you'll know where that extra money went. Nothing wrong with the first two. It's real, real, real, good s#$%. But this one's a f$%^ing madman.

There are two separate threads about the comment Frost made about OL puking. The highlight of this board a week before its first game. Not much else about anything football related. If the Iowa people didn't come over, I'm not sure who some people would argue with.

Last edited:
Reactions: king_kong_
Ginger Jesus was never a savior. He was always a fraud, and a liar. Some of us knew exactly what he was, while you were kneeling before him, begging
I can’t say I saw he was a fraud from the beginning. I honestly thought the second half of his first year showed promise. Then year 2 happened. I drank the kool aid for year 3, and have been convinced he is not the guy since that season. I feel like I was gracious giving him 3 years to show some slight improvement at a blue blood program that gave him every resource available to be successful, but good grief - there is a rather large group of folks that will still somehow defend this loser.

kneeling, begging 🙄. Not many thought he wouldn’t work out here and be the failure at the time of Moos’s hiring..
Those who say he wasn’t the best choice still wanted to stick with Riley…
And the program would be in way better shape, but sadly the frosturbators don’t care about that

• Haha
Reactions: scarletred
Scott Frost’s legacy as a coach at Nebraska - whether he is gone in the next year or 2 or present long term - is that he has redefined what fans will tolerate in terms of wins and losses

imagine at the time of Frost’s hire if you were told that in his first 4 years he wouldn’t have a single winning season and in his fourth year he would have a 1-8 conf record and that given all of the above he would be retained for year 5 with the consensus being he only needs to win 7 games to get year 6

Scott Frost has cemented Nebraska’s assimilation into a true and proper big ten west team with all the lofty expectations that come with it - like maybe one day finishing runner-up in the division
Well said! Absolutely mind boggling what many Husker fans have come to accept and actually defend.

Truth!

This thread is a interesting case study of fandom. I thought Nebraska folk really lived into “through theses gates” but it seems we were great fans because the team was really good at one point, not because we are great fans
To me that always meant we were gracious in victories and defeat.

Not, support your coach & don't speak poorly of him no matter how bad of a job he's done so far.

Tons of apathy on my end, but my life has changed quite a bit too with having 4 kids in the last 8 years.

I was in Lincoln today & happened to drive by the stadium. Got me excited, but not like it used to.

This thread is a interesting case study of fandom. I thought Nebraska folk really lived into “through theses gates” but it seems we were great fans because the team was really good at one point, not because we are great fans
Please tell me what a "great fan" is supposed act like

I am very apathetic about Frost (he was not my first choice). It is amazing how one guy with so much hype can be such a miserable failure...at what he supposedly is a "genius" at doing. The past three years I have said I would not renew my tickets....but every year I have done so. My wife asked me about it and I told her this year I renewed because maybe they will be better (which would not be difficult).....if they aren't....I will renew next year to see how the new coach does in year 1.

My only hope is that this forgiving fan base will not be happy with 6 or 7 wins (with this schedule)....for me 8 wins is a minimum....if not exercise that reduced buy-out and move on.

Football has been a dying sport for the better part of a decade. Why do you think media is hitching their wagons and cutting the landscape in half? Profits peaked, less kids are playing the game. Many alienated fanbases will continue to lose interest. High level college football will become NFL Lite. While I don’t think it will sink to the level of AAA baseball, that is essentially what it will be.

I wonder what the age of the average college football fan was 15 years ago and what it is today? What do you think it is for Nebraska fans? The fact that network and cable television are still driving the economics is a major tell. Nobody under thirty and few people under forty subscribe to this type of media. The demographics are aging and there is no suggestion that it will slow down. IMO the grouping of super conferences killed any possibility of resurgence.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...s-dropped-dramatically-in-the-u-s-since-2015/

Reactions: TheWayITellEm
I am very interested, invested and excited about our Huskers and the quickly approaching football season. However, what do we dare say about the team and our possibility of success? I will watch every minute of the games and hope for improvement... Wins. Personally, I am quiet because I am uncertain about the Offensive line, so many new players/coaches and team identity. I want us to be a good team again but waiting for the team to prove it.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I am very interested, invested and excited about our Huskers and the quickly approaching football season. However, what do we dare say about the team and our possibility of success? I will watch every minute of the games and hope for improvement... Wins. Personally, I am quiet because I am uncertain about the Offensive line, so many new players/coaches and team identity. I want us to be a good team again but waiting for the team to prove it.
Feel free to join in the conversations. We're just offering opinions, some I agree with, other's not so much, but everyone is entitled to voicing their thoughts. I have a few that agree with me, others do not, doesn't stop me from posting.

None of us will be totally right anyway, so post away pahusker.

Nebraska sucking hasn’t done wonders for the fan base but college football or really sports in general isn’t as popular with the under 40 crowd.

I’m 40 and I don’t have near the interest in sports that I used to. Too much other stuff going on but I still find time to catch an NFL or college game on tv.

I work with a considerable number of junior civilians and military and I’d be hard pressed to name very many of them as hardcore fans of any sport. Yes even the southern kids.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
I should add that entertainment attention these days is drawn considerably more directions. E sports is a big deal with the youth. They are also interested in more global games like soccer than the prior generations.

there are large swaths of youth who could have a more informed discussion of the English premier league than college football.

Well, I have been a member of this site since 2008. Actually, I now live in Florida and not Pennsylvania. Some people with inside information (coache's family) live in my community. They are very optimistic about this season. Personally, I like the staff changes and new influx of players. I think we have a favorable schedule. Even though I think coach Raiola is a good choice I am not sure if the OL will be good. The only area of the team that may be worse than last year is the offensive line. If the OL are equal to last year then I expect us to play in a Bowl Game. Looking forward to next Saturday to get a better understanding of the team and their potential. My wife and I are UNL alumni. We have been invited to a party September 2nd where everyone wears their College Football team fanwear. I hope we win in Ireland 🇮🇪.

I got totally hooked on Husker football in 1962 when I was 9 years old. You're right, it gets in your blood. I guess, I've always loved the football highs more than I hated the football lows. And we've had a helluva dose of both sides of those emotions.

I'm the type of "fan" who is wllling to throw a head coaches ass out the door when he proves he no longer, or never could, produce an on field product we can have pride in cheering for.

I refuse to pay one penny to a program that lingers for a few years when its apparent NU has the wrong guy leading the team. Frost is the latest in a long list of coaches who offer ZERO hope of regaining respect.

Us fans have went from the Devaney/Osborne days of receiving a 100K a year emotional paycheck to the last 2 decades of mainly trying to subsist on food stamps and having our spirit broken while waiting for the day a stimulus shows up with returning to a respectful place among the top 20 teams in the nation.

We've become like a family that enjoyed 30 years of emotional uplifting and consuming the benefits of a highly successful diet of winning to that of a beaten down/nearly broken family that necessity has forced into the food pantry, picking out dented cans and out of date food, trying to not make eye contact with those who know we no longer belong in the expensive arena.

For those that continue to think Frost inherited a mess, which he did, and it could take another 5 years to build this program, I say bullshit. In a completely different era, Devaney showed up and took over a team, in the preceding 5 years had season records such as this from 1957-1961:
1-9, 3-7, 4-6, 4-6, 3-6-1.
Jennings recruited pretty good the last few years before he was fired but the biggest thing I heard was Dennis Claridge mentioned that Devaney at times would cut practices short and that would make the players day knowing they would have to come back the next day work that much harder..

I think that is a good point about the younger generation. I graduated in 72 and 2 other buddies and I poured over every magazine we could find. Al hadn't invented the internet yet. Each year we put $10 in a kitty with a sealed envelope guessing the starters next year.

Now there is instant everything. And younger people and I can be guilty as well, can spend hours on the internet. I despise internet games but I know they are extremely popular. We have some pretty good soccer so yep that is a little draw too.

I also find that most fans want to wear the shirt of their favorite but when asked really don't know much about them. I see some of that going on here.

There is also no doubt, and I hear this a lot, the team has just been plain bad and many have lost hope. Honestly, did you ever think you would have seen the program in this kind of mess? They need to win, win bug, be over powering and convincing to get some fans back. The question many are secretly asking is "you I invest in this team."

Reactions: huskerfan66
Just think what will happen if they beat Oklahoma too..
We all know it's a longshot, but OU is transitioning too!

The good (?) thing about the OU game, NU has a bye the next week, then a three game stretch with Indiana, Rutgers, and Purdue, then another bye week before Ill, Mn, Mich, Wiscy, and Iowa.

NU best chop some wood early.

We all know it's a longshot, but OU is transitioning too!

The good (?) thing about the OU game, NU has a bye the next week, then a three game stretch with Indiana, Rutgers, and Purdue, then another bye week before Ill, Mn, Mich, Wiscy, and Iowa.

NU best chop some wood early.
I believe Nebraska is the only big ten school that has a bye week prior to 2 conf games

Last edited:
Nebraska media guide has them with a bye. That is where I seen it..

NW also decided not to play game the following week after Ireland so they still have two bye weeks..
As my post stated we are the only big ten team with a bye week prior to 2 conf games

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT