ADVERTISEMENT

Is this board dying?

Covid made people realize what’s important. This is just a game. Most people looked at their family rather than their tv. Greed killed CFB, actually long ago. What most of us loved in the 1970-2000 is long gone. Some will adapt and some will find something else.

We are entering a new paradigm world wide. A giant shuffle of attention. Political games ruined sports, tv, etc…

As soon as these networks and leagues allowed political views shape their viewers, it ended. You can’t mix entertainment and politics. Polarizing

It will come back. But it will never be like before

We are like an alt coin that got forked from a parent coin 'upgrade'..

No worries, we are gonna pump soon!

What you are seeing on Board activity is a reflection of the true level of interest in CFB.

I have 3 son’s , all born in Nebraska, 28-30-34. . We watched Nebraska games both on tv and live as they grew up. The game was something they just were not that interested in as they got older. Only one watches occasionally today . None of there friends watch college football .

I suspect that most that follow CFB are getting older,

weariness due to NU not being relevant, all message boards are less popular (quilting, classic cars etc.) due to the thrill of the Internet being over, and not much to talk about. As far as the latter, there has been just one major injury, there is no depth chart and probably won't be before NW, all the practices have been closed except for a couple fluff 30 minute periods open to the media, and all the coaches are talking coach speak and not giving anything away. I expect the board to heat up starting with the Northwestern game thread when after the first 3 and out the torches and pitchforks will come out.

What you are seeing on Board activity is a reflection of the true level of interest in CFB.

I have 3 son’s , all born in Nebraska, 28-30-34. . We watched Nebraska games both on tv and live as they grew up. The game was something they just were not that interested in as they got older. Only one watches occasionally today . None of there friends watch college football .

I can relate to that all the glory years in the 1990’s they barely witnessed or too young to remember..

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
I was back in SW Nebraska for a family get together this summer. My brother and his two sons, both out on their own for several years. One ran track/cross country at Nebraska and has a B12 ring to show for it. He and his buds regularly go to at least one away game with goal to be in every stadium in the league.

I asked everyone if they were going to any home games and what they thought of the Huskers this year. All three said they didn't know what was going and didn't care. They didn't plan to go to any games and they used to live down there. They said that is pretty much how everyone around there feels right now.

Frost better get this turned around, Trev can't wait much longer. We are getting close to an generation who have never see Nebraska be good, much less dominate.

Purely anecdotal, but living in Kansas, people teased be all time when all this started to go south. They don't even bother anymore. I think I have them worn down.

Last edited:

I'm going to disagree with you here. CFB is a major player for people's entertainment these days. The money being spent is because people are watching. They aren't paying it for nothing. The real problem is that NU has been irrelevant for a long time. At least for your kids' time. I've been fairly apathetic about NU football for quite some time. I would love to see it return to playing good football. Scott Frost results? It's gotten to the point that I don't care if I miss a game or not. You know what I mean? Then there's Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State. Rinse. Repeat.

That being said, the passing of my wife and me working more changed things as well. It's been over 2.5 years and I rarely watch TV in the living room. I usually leave the tv off most of the time. I watch games on my giant monitor. But I still watch less overall.

I can relate to that all the glory years in the 1990’s they barely witnessed or too young to remember..
The boys were were all too little too remember or care. My oldest was 8 the last time Nebraska won a National Championship.

the golden boys failures is just part of the follies of Nebraska football for the last 20 year. i used to never miss a game, I was at a wedding in southTexas in the late 1980’s we had to listen to the game on a transistor radio fast forward to today’ world Id Just miss the game don’t get to excited anymore

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
weariness due to NU not being relevant, all message boards are less popular (quilting, classic cars etc.) due to the thrill of the Internet being over, and not much to talk about. As far as the latter, there has been just one major injury, there is no depth chart and probably won't be before NW, all the practices have been closed except for a couple fluff 30 minute periods open to the media, and all the coaches are talking coach speak and not giving anything away. I expect the board to heat up starting with the Northwestern game thread when after the first 3 and out the torches and pitchforks will come out.
Agree with almost everything you posted here Husker.Wed. After beating ourselves every way imaginable, I wonder if we NU fans are just going to continue to get our comeuppance after so many great years of football.

I "think" there were a LOT of fans who thought, "finally, NU has THE coach who is going to return NU to greatness." Instead, we are beginning 5 years into the Frost regime and NU still has a team filled with uncertainty.

Back in the day, when Osborne started 1-2, most fans wanted his hide. Yet, he always got it turned around and went 9-3 and a decent bowl.

Never gonna happen with Frost because he has no track record of keeping the wheels from continuing to falling off.

I know there continue to be Frost supporters. I'm glad I'm not one of them. Once again, NU has to cut its losses and try to find a guy capable of leading this program. Probably the only guy available who is capable of a total turnaround in 2 years is Urban Meyer, a great college coach, and a total worm.

I suspect Meyer will wind up at Texas if Sark flames out again this year, and that will likely be the end of NU ever regaining prominence in college football again.

Having said that, I love college football. Every Saturday I'm there from noon to midnight. I love to watch Ohio St-Notre Dame, Georgia-Oregon because those games mean something....to their fans. That used to be us.

Now with the portal, its like when Curt Flood opened the doors to free agency, and loyalty in baseball meant nothing.

Covid made people realize what’s important. This is just a game. Most people looked at their family rather than their tv. Greed killed CFB, actually long ago. What most of us loved in the 1970-2000 is long gone. Some will adapt and some will find something else.

We are entering a new paradigm world wide. A giant shuffle of attention. Political games ruined sports, tv, etc…

As soon as these networks and leagues allowed political views shape their viewers, it ended. You can’t mix entertainment and politics. Polarizing

It will come back. But it will never be like before
I like it. This is true. However, it wouldnt be this bad if we didnt suck balls. Frost and Hoiberg have been abject failures, by every standard. So, combining shitty societal experiment with shitty mens sports (and keeping the coaches) = who gives a shit. I get why Alberts kept them, but short of a tremendous season, both better be sent packing at year's end.

Never remember such little discussion leading up to a season. Fan apathy, board failure, or both?
What can one say after the last five years? People are holding their breath, hoping we've finally turned the corner. but afraid we might not.
Fans are also afraid to be optimistic after so much frustration and failure, yet they're waiting to see if the staff changes and transfers make a difference.
This last week, leading up to the NW game, is going to generate a lot of silent stress on the part of the faithful.
Keep the TUMS handy.

I’m doing my part!

really, though, I think many actually mean it when they say they’ll wait and see this year

the whole “what’s behind door #1?!” hype that usually leads up to the season isn’t super attractive when it’s been 5 straight kicks to the nuts and zero new cars

so to speak

What can one say after the last five years? People are holding their breath, hoping we've finally turned the corner. but afraid we might not.
Fans are also afraid to be optimistic after so much frustration and failure, yet they're waiting to see if the staff changes and transfers make a difference.
This last week, leading up to the NW game, is going to generate a lot of silent stress on the part of the faithful.
Keep the TUMS handy.
No stress here.

Reactions: Lincoln100
There's a number of Husker message boards out there plus social media for competition now. Even if the Huskers start to winning I doubt you'll see as much activity as in the past. Plus some other factors that people have mentioned above.

I went from the first NU board big red max had, to here..I guess I followed some folks over to this board like roz and h3....I'm a creature of habit, so if this board died, I guess I would find the most popular one and hang there till it died..

I remember when the only fan interaction was voices from the grandstand in the world herald, or what people that you talked to in person thought..then there was the husker email list...and husker fans would get on other chats like austin 360, netbuffs, oklahoma chat....then husker max made the first message board....so the info sure is alot better....but 3-9 sure ain't....

Well... I guess count me in the camp that although I've hated our product for a long time I still am all in. My daughters just got their new NU cheerleading outfits and they are excited for the season as well. For me, even though we suck, I have a sense of pride being an alum, growing up in the state and definitely look forward to football every year even though it'll probably all come crashing down game 1. Husker Football is in my blood and as much as they try to push me away I will continue to support it until I die and probably waste much more of my precious time on this board discussing some hope of optimism for the upcoming or current season. Go Big Red!

I'm not drinking the kool-aid as much this year as years before. I should be excited with all the changes, but every season seems to end with Frost's teams beating themselves with sloppy play and stupid mistakes. I'm not sure the new coaches will be able to correct that in one year. If the team loses to Northwestern in typical Frost fashion, then this season could be his worst yet and it's hard to stay active on forums if that happens.

Reactions: solarpanels
I went from the first NU board big red max had, to here..I guess I followed some folks over to this board like roz and h3....I'm a creature of habit, so if this board died, I guess I would find the most popular one and hang there till it died..

I remember when the only fan interaction was voices from the grandstand in the world herald, or what people that you talked to in person thought..then there was the husker email list...and husker fans would get on other chats like austin 360, netbuffs, oklahoma chat....then husker max made the first message board....so the info sure is alot better....but 3-9 sure ain't....
H3 is the type of “fan” who deserves the program right now. Trash person, trash follows him. He insists on program inbreeding. Now that the webbed feet offspring is in charge, you see the results

Ginger Jesus was never a savior. He was always a fraud, and a liar. Some of us knew exactly what he was, while you were kneeling before him, begging.
kneeling, begging 🙄. Not many thought he wouldn’t work out here and be the failure at the time of Moos’s hiring..
Those who say he wasn’t the best choice still wanted to stick with Riley…

Scott Frost’s legacy as a coach at Nebraska - whether he is gone in the next year or 2 or present long term - is that he has redefined what fans will tolerate in terms of wins and losses

imagine at the time of Frost’s hire if you were told that in his first 4 years he wouldn’t have a single winning season and in his fourth year he would have a 1-8 conf record and that given all of the above he would be retained for year 5 with the consensus being he only needs to win 7 games to get year 6

Scott Frost has cemented Nebraska’s assimilation into a true and proper big ten west team with all the lofty expectations that come with it - like maybe one day finishing runner-up in the division

I like it. This is true. However, it wouldnt be this bad if we didnt suck balls. Frost and Hoiberg have been abject failures, by every standard. So, combining shitty societal experiment with shitty mens sports (and keeping the coaches) = who gives a shit. I get why Alberts kept them, but short of a tremendous season, both better be sent packing at year's end.
Growing up in Broken Bow, Husker football has been very, very entertaining & important! My feel good security blanket! Yes, I know grow up ! I read what I can but skip the Frost articles as he isn't what I thought he was or the coach I want with the rebuild ! We can win at Nebraska with the right coach and new facilities! Notice his past football decisions, his blaming all for the failures! Coaches at Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, laugh at him! His arrogance, sweat shirt, ball cap chew doesn't fly! New coach Trev!

• Haha
Reactions: tjlSker90
Never remember such little discussion leading up to a season. Fan apathy, board failure, or both?
This thread is a interesting case study of fandom. I thought Nebraska folk really lived into “through theses gates” but it seems we were great fans because the team was really good at one point, not because we are great fans

Reactions: Bold Words
I mainly come here to see King_Kong give the Iowa and MN fans hell. Its top notch entertainment! That being said, you see the team turn it around, give us something to puff our chests out about and you will see this whole state turn a corner. No more sarcastic comments about the team or coach or sell out streak. No more shaking your head and pursing your lips during conversation about the game. It just takes winning. We have been so beat down the last few years that losing no longer ruins my weekend. Maybe just the rest of that day. Im over it by the morning. When we lost to WI in the B1G championship was the last time I think I truly felt the pain and devastation of a loss. Since then I have conditioned myself to not get too excited, dont get my hopes up for this or that. Wait and see. It will come back. Hopefully this year we start the move back. I want my kids to witness the spectacle that is Nebraska football at its best.

I think Frost's act has grown so tired and frustrating that posters here (myself included) won't let themselves get excited about anything we hear from fall camp. If the program shows some life by beating a couple of teams that have a pulse, people will get interested again.

In Nebraska, anyway.

kneeling, begging 🙄. Not many thought he wouldn’t work out here and be the failure at the time of Moos’s hiring..
Those who say he wasn’t the best choice still wanted to stick with Riley…
People are confusing whether it was the best choice at the time with whether it was the best choice

it’s like being convinced you need to turn right but later realizing you should have turned left but because you thought you made the correct initial choice you continue to drive in the wrong direction

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT