ADVERTISEMENT

Is there ANY doubt left about Riley's approach at Nebraska?

Archie Graham

Offensive Coordinator
Apr 12, 2007
Coach Riley will be evaluated by his W/L record (as it should be); however, I'm absolutely loving what I'm seeing in every single facet of his approach right now. I haven't been this excited about Nebraska football in a very long time. The future looks bright!

Winning the offseason to be sure.

But just you watch, as soon as they lose their first game or win ugly in a game they should cruise, somebody will say he's too nice and too soft and somebody needs to yell at them because they're not scared of Riley. Then somebody will say, "Oh you mean like Pelini did, how'd that work out?" and then it will be a 4 page thread with all the name calling, etc.

Originally posted by TheBeav815:

But just you watch, as soon as they lose their first game or win ugly in a game they should cruise, somebody will say he's too nice and too soft and somebody needs to yell at them because they're not scared of Riley. Then somebody will say, "Oh you mean like Pelini did, how'd that work out?" and then it will be a 4 page thread with all the name calling, etc.
Haha that will definitely happen, but so far I definitely agree with OP

Offseason is great. Especially because of what we're used to. But I watched a postgame presser after Eastern Washington beat Oregon State and I can't think of a single Husker fan who'd care at all how positive and upbeat he is.

Demeanor doesn't mean squat if the guy in charge can't fix the problems. If we have a bad loss and he smiles and he refers to something as "fixable," and he actually fixes it, then I don't care what his demeanor is. It would be a major upgrade from the alternative of huffing and puffing and talking about things being fixable, with nothing getting fixed.

Considering he hasn't even coached a game yet, I'd say there is plenty of doubt. There's no guaranteed magic formula for coaching success. But so far, he is a breath of fresh air compared to the last guy.

Any guesses on what the Huskers "identity" will become under Riley? I'm being serious now.

Originally posted by Harry Caray:
Considering he hasn't even coached a game yet, I'd say there is plenty of doubt. There's no guaranteed magic formula for coaching success. But so far, he is a breath of fresh air compared to the last guy.
I agree with your statements. I like what I see so far. Come fall for some us, we'll be able to start judging results.

I expect our uniform pants....

...to be nipple high!
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Sorry...could not resist.

I think we will be aggressive and confident!

Re: I expect our uniform pants....

Originally posted by spartanhusker:
...to be nipple high!
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Sorry...could not resist.

I think we will be aggressive and confident!
roll.r191677.gif

My man...I have never seen a better sig/gif in all of my years. My laughter intensified at the end when the bird 'made it out' unscathed. Where in heaven's name did you find such a creation?

I have doubts. I am worried that his teams get penalties a lot and I hate penalties. I worry if an assistant isn't getting it done he will stick with him due to loyalty. I worry that OSU had a lot of turnovers. I worry with so many ex-coordinators on D there may be infighting. I worry that the QBs might not be able to execute the offense.

However, I am willing to give the guy a chance just as I did Bo, Cally and Frank.

Originally posted by TheBeav815:
Winning the offseason to be sure.

That is so true but my expectations are very low this year. I think the defense could be in the top half of the B1G but offensively I think we have too far to go with players recruited to another system. Terminology barriers, skill barriers I don't expect too much on O. If it happens I would be really pumped but I will give Riley 3 years to get his people in place before I really ratchet up the expectations. I know the cupboard isn't bare but everyone, including the coaches, is learning on the go this year. I am thinking of Bill in Lincoln's first year. I really hope it isn't that bad, but it could be until the players get the new system down.

Originally posted by Husker.Wed.:

I have doubts. I am worried that his teams get penalties a lot and I hate penalties. I worry if an assistant isn't getting it done he will stick with him due to loyalty. I worry that OSU had a lot of turnovers. I worry with so many ex-coordinators on D there may be infighting. I worry that the QBs might not be able to execute the offense.

However, I am willing to give the guy a chance just as I did Bo, Cally and Frank.
Well Bo's teams had a lot of penalties, a lot of turnovers, quarterbacks didn't seem to know what they were doing at times, linebackers didn't have a clue, Bo was overly loyal to guys who never did anything of value, and he sucked in the off season.

Sheesh. I guess I should have included 'to date' in the thread title. Obviously we have to see it all in action on Saturdays; however, we have seen massive improvements in the experience of the coaching staff, organization, support staff, attitude, PR, recruiting, general creativity, publicity, connections to NFL greats, etc.

I really don't see what the argument could be about. Riley has hit all of the right notes thus far, from salvaging the Davis twins to hitting Spring Ball in an organized, innovative way. He seems to have a laid back approach to the local sports scribblers. He has assembled an experienced staff. The grade thus far has to be an A.
Of course the Fall "semester" is the important one. Is he the "diamond in the rough" that has been hiding in plain sight in Corvallis? The great coach who will finally get the lineup with better talent? Or is he the nice guy who, while not finishing last, has never really been able to get it done? Is Banker the second coming of Kevin Cosgrove? We get feedback on that in a half-year.

Originally posted by Hoosker Du:
My man...I have never seen a better sig/gif in all of my years. My laughter intensified at the end when the bird 'made it out' unscathed. Where in heaven's name did you find such a creation?
"borrowed" it off imgur.

Originally posted by jawatkins:

Originally posted by Husker.Wed.:

Well Bo's teams had a lot of penalties, a lot of turnovers, quarterbacks didn't seem to know what they were doing at times, linebackers didn't have a clue, Bo was overly loyal to guys who never did anything of value, and he sucked in the off season.
1. Riley looks like he is doing a fine job so far. Hopefully it will translate to wins.

2. Ain't nobody pining for Bo...he got fired. Thus, he's not a great comparison.

I can root for Riley after a loss one hell of a lot more than Bo after a loss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT