ADVERTISEMENT

Is the offense fixable at this point?

regionsdoc

Senior
Feb 4, 2004
Correct me if I’m wrong, but NU has 7 sac bunts in 36 games. 7. This from a team with very little natural power. It’s hard to score runs playing station to station with no power.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but NU has 7 sac bunts in 36 games. 7. This from a team with very little natural power. It’s hard to score runs playing station to station with no power.
I’m going to guess no. You are who you are and whole sale changes don’t happen this late in the year. What we can hope for is everyone just hitting a tad better.

On a side note, I noticed Erstad abandon the small ball bunting a couple years ago. I assumed it was to introduce more power hitters but that obviously isn’t the case. I really have no idea what our offensive identity is.

Station to station with no ability to bunt, hit dingers, or steal bases. That requires a very high OBP and an even better average with runners in scoring position.

Reactions: saluno22
It's going to require opponents committing errors, walking and hitting batters in high volume like Purdue did. Otherwise, the team is pretty mediocre at hitting the baseball. Pitching can keep them in games, but at some point I assume the need to shut out every single opponent gets a little taxing, mentally.

Reactions: saluno22
After last night we have two guys hitting over .300 that receive regular at bats. And Schwellenbach will likely be below that number at years end.

Erstad simply doesn’t recruit well enough to overcome his inability to develop an offense.

ADVERTISEMENT