ADVERTISEMENT

Is Spencer Petras the worst starting QB in the Big Ten West?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Rubrum_Magnus_Virtus

Uq2wd1Y.jpg
@litespeedhuskerfan Be honest. With the lights off, which one?

I wasn’t really discussing Iowa, I was responding to the guy that said PPG is all that matters. I tried to explain that their is a little more to it, which I feel is common sense, but that concept was just beyond him.

As for Iowa. I do think their style of play on offense can lead to their defense looking better in terms of PPG, which really should be common sense. It doesn’t mean they haven’t fielded some great defenses, I just think it can be wise to look at the entire picture and use more and better data. Iowa’s defense, or any good defense, should hold up using something like points per play.
How does Iowa’s offense make the defense look better statistically? Iowa’s defense had more defensive plays than Nebraska last year. Nebraska averaged 2.2 more plays a game offensively. So it can’t be huddle vs. no huddle.

I wholeheartedly agree that more than PPG is an indication of good defense. But it’s not as big of a gap between just using PPG or PP Possession or PP Play because there isn’t a gap between number of defensive plays in a huddle or no huddle defense.

They may be overrated to an extent, but they return 20 starters from an 9 win football team including future NFL players at RB, QB, TE, DE, LB and CB.

They will beat Iowa rather easily this season. This is a rebuilding season for the Hawks.
It will be interesting to see what ISU does with expectations for the first time ever.

it’s 100% not a rebuilding year for the Hawks. The DL and some of the OL, yes. But overall, no.

It will be interesting to see what ISU does with expectations for the first time ever.

it’s 100% not a rebuilding year for the Hawks. The DL and some of the OL, yes. But overall, no.

Iowa hasn't had to rebuild their DL in years. And that group is always the strength of their defense. It's absolutely a rebuild because of that fact.

Also, Iowa wouldn't be shopping around for a late transfer DL in the portal if they were comfortable with that group. And I know that because I've been surprised by how many dudes are hearing from the Hawks as soon as the kid "throws his name into the ring."

How does Iowa’s offense make the defense look better statistically? Iowa’s defense had more defensive plays than Nebraska last year. Nebraska averaged 2.2 more plays a game offensively. So it can’t be huddle vs. no huddle.

I wholeheartedly agree that more than PPG is an indication of good defense. But it’s not as big of a gap between just using PPG or PP Possession or PP Play because there isn’t a gap between number of defensive plays in a huddle or no huddle defense.

Agin don’t really care about Iowa. You are trying to make your same old Iowa is awesome, Nebraska sucks argument. I am making the simple point that points per game is NOT the only stat that matters, like another poster said, and that there are better indicators of a good defense. I have given examples of teams like the service academies that use their offense to control the clock and keep possessions down. Maybe that wasn’t Iowa last year, I think it has been in the past, but I didn’t look because I wasn’t talking about Iowa and yes Nebraska’s offense operated at a very slow pace last year, so Im not talking about them either.

Reactions: SWIowahawks

Didn’t you lose one top receivers too..
Tyron Tracy is pretty good but Nico Ragaini isn’t nothing to write home about.

That’s why I heard the two freshman maybe playing more than expected because of better athleticism.. Like a Manning, Toure and Betts for us..

Iowa hasn't had to rebuild their DL in years. And that group is always the strength of their defense. It's absolutely a rebuild because of that fact.

Also, Iowa wouldn't be shopping around for a late transfer DL in the portal if they were comfortable with that group. And I know that because I've been surprised by how many dudes are hearing from the Hawks as soon as the kid "throws his name into the ring."

Iowa has had to replace the majority of their dline each of the last three years. They have a very good dline coach in Kelvin Bell. From what people are hearing, they won't be as good but should still be stout. Some good young talent in the wings.

Reactions: Flick2.0
Yesterday Sipple seemed to indicate there was a significant injury to Honas. Anyone heard the detail?

Both Iowa and Nebraska saw a rise of injuries this spring, coming out of the pandemic. Three knee injuries to two Huskers and one Hawkeye. Other injuries are nagging type, but depth was the reason. Iowa's knee injury is believed to be a DT.

Wait, what? Beathard’s first year as a starter he went 12-2. Stanley went 8-5 and Petras went 6-2 after starting 0-2. I’m still mad at Kirk for playing Stanley a small handful of snaps his freshman year and burning his redshirt. He should have been a senior last year.

They still didnt do shit. Herkie fans bitched about them all the time. Their defenses are what keeps that program relevant in any sort or way.

Didn’t you lose one top receivers too..
Tyron Tracy is pretty good but Nico Ragaini isn’t nothing to write home about.

That’s why I heard the two freshman maybe playing more than expected because of better athleticism.. Like a Manning, Toure and Betts for us..
Top two WRs pretty much. Both horribly under utilized, IMO. Raga IMO is comparable to Oliver Martin and does the little things well. Definitely going to need some young guys to step in. But I think DL is more of a question mark.

Agin don’t really care about Iowa. You are trying to make your same old Iowa is awesome, Nebraska sucks argument. I am making the simple point that points per game is NOT the only stat that matters, like another poster said, and that there are better indicators of a good defense. I have given examples of teams like the service academies that use their offense to control the clock and keep possessions down. Maybe that wasn’t Iowa last year, I think it has been in the past, but I didn’t look because I wasn’t talking about Iowa and yes Nebraska’s offense operated at a very slow pace last year, so Im not talking about them either.
We agree then.

Reactions: headcard
Both the Smith's at WR are big losses. Each had good size which always helps as well. I would take our two TE over theirs IMO, and Beyer is now gone. LaPorta is overrated. Goodson is one of the best RB in the B10 and they always have at min have a good o-line. Their defense is good because they have the best DC in the B10 IMO - they also limit possessions to make numbers look better. On D as of now though there are no major threats like there was last year on their DL. Someone could emerge but as of now they are just above avg across the board with a good DC.
Your TE's wouldn't be on the two deeps at Iowa. What are you smoking?

They may be overrated to an extent, but they return 20 starters from an 9 win football team including future NFL players at RB, QB, TE, DE, LB and CB.

They will beat Iowa rather easily this season. This is a rebuilding season for the Hawks.
They may win but they won't beat us easily. Our defense doesn't let that happen very often. We seldom get blown out or beat easily.

They may win but they won't beat us easily. Our defense doesn't let that happen very often. We seldom get blown out or beat easily.
I hope Iowa State is a 14 point favorite so I can get Iowa ML somewhere around +300. Until it happens I won't believe it. Iowa matches up extremely well with Iowa State

Hoe lee crap, never has a fan base made more of 6 seasons than the turds in the iowa fan base. 6 seasons with one showing in the bigten conference championship game. Good grief what a bunch of pathetic tools.

Hawk fan here...I think it's likely he performed the worst. Many Hawk fans have stated this. While there is optimism about him this year, he needs to produce.

I hope Iowa State is a 14 point favorite so I can get Iowa ML somewhere around +300. Until it happens I won't believe it. Iowa matches up extremely well with Iowa State

This is the mistake everyone is making about Iowa football this season. The Hawks are always a tough matchup because their defensive front is usually among the biggest and baddest collection of defensive linemen in not just the Big Ten, but across College football.

That's not the case going into 2021, and its a big reason why people need to pump the brakes on Iowa football.

Their defensive tackles this season are going to be Yahya Black at 6'4 280 and Noah Shannon 5'11 290. Their Defensive Ends have 4 career sacks combined.

This is the primary reason why Iowa has been offering a bunch of DTs in the transfer portal, but none of them have worked out.

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
LaPorta is overrated until proven otherwise. Dude has 1 TD catch in 14 games.
A product of having “the worst QB in the Big Ten West?” (What the thread was originally about.) He’s a stud and came up huge to put Iowa in field goal range in the final seconds of the 2019 game in Lincoln, and he was just a true freshman. Made a circus catch against USC’s 4 and 5 stars in the bowl game. If Petras improves, he’ll be All Big Ten.

Petras showed flashes, and also a lot of shadows last season. He has all the physical tools you want in a Pro Style QB. He’s tall, he’s strong, and he has a big arm. But his mental game was lacking in a big way last year. He routinely got nervous under pressure, put too much zip on balls he didn’t need to, and bailed out way too early.

Now was he the worst last season? Hell no. Mertz was awful after the Illinois game, Martinez and McCaffery struggled to complete passes, or even score, and Peters wasn’t good. We need to see how the players progress before we really talk about who the best and worst are.

Reactions: Flick2.0
Lachey has a ton of promise. We will see what happens.
I suppose he’s better than Vokolec too.

Our top 2 TE are very adequate even if they played for the Herkeys and did you for get about Fidone ? He’ll be back soon enough..

Last edited:
This is the mistake everyone is making about Iowa football this season. The Hawks are always a tough matchup because their defensive front is usually among the biggest and baddest collection of defensive linemen in not just the Big Ten, but across College football.

That's not the case going into 2021, and its a big reason why people need to pump the brakes on Iowa football.

Their defensive tackles this season are going to be Yahya Black at 6'4 280 and Noah Shannon 5'11 290. Their Defensive Ends have 4 career sacks combined.

This is the primary reason why Iowa has been offering a bunch of DTs in the transfer portal, but none of them have worked out.
You stand to make a lot of money if you head to Iowa and place some bets. Iowa currently -14.5 against Purdue, -10.5 against NW, -6.5 against Nebraska, -6.5 against Minnesota, -3.5 against Penn State. Those first two are extremely tempting even for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT