ADVERTISEMENT

Is Scott Frost A Good Head Coach?

I think some of the issues on the fringe, can be blamed on assistant coaches, but 95% of what has gone wrong, is directly attributable to the head coach.

I really like listening to Urban Meyer when he talks about trust and basic management of a football team. He knows how to make that all function, and it's not X's and O's, it's the structure and system he puts in place that holds people accountable, including his coaching staff.

I have to believe other successful programs run in a similar way. Even Osborne had his system, with very little turnover in the staff. (this means replacing staff is not a means to an end)

I think Scott's biggest hurdle here, is that he played here and has some chips on his shoulder from the past. Those things I believe influence him and his decision making at a deep level. Also, Scott often cites Tom, as if he is trying to be Tom, which I believe is a mistake. Scott just needs to worry about being Scott, whoever that is.

So that's a whole ball of psychology there to untangle and we wonder why our QB and team has had confidence issues.

My advice to Scott would be to get out of his own head. Boil things down to how to manage a football team where there is trust and accountability. He also has to kick this idea that he is one of the guys. Also favoritism in player treatment undermines trust in the system. He's not going to fix this with X's and O's and new trick plays, but how he conducts himself from recruiting to graduation. It has to be above board. You can't create trust with fake QB battles and other slimey douche moves, because those things also tell people who you are.

And that is who I think Scott is. If you are his buddy, you can trust him and he will bend over backwards for you. But if you are not his buddy, then you don't get the same treatment. Scott also tells me he is the type of guy who will try to slip something past you. I think Scott wants everyone to think he is like Tom, but the reality is, he's not at all like him. Scott is a thin skinned person who doesn't have his own act together yet. And this is reflected in how the team performs. After all, the team is a reflection of the head coach.

We've turned the ball over WAY too much in the red zone AND also taken ourselves out of the redzone with penalties on multiple occasions. We have to get points. No more pounding Wandale up the middle 3 times in a row inside the 10 please.
You're on to something, the play calling and offensive philosophy for the Red Zone is terrible. Short yardage same thing.

I think some of the issues on the fringe, can be blamed on assistant coaches, but 95% of what has gone wrong, is directly attributable to the head coach.

I really like listening to Urban Meyer when he talks about trust and basic management of a football team. He knows how to make that all function, and it's not X's and O's, it's the structure and system he puts in place that holds people accountable, including his coaching staff.

I have to believe other successful programs run in a similar way. Even Osborne had his system, with very little turnover in the staff. (this means replacing staff is not a means to an end)

I think Scott's biggest hurdle here, is that he played here and has some chips on his shoulder from the past. Those things I believe influence him and his decision making at a deep level. Also, Scott often cites Tom, as if he is trying to be Tom, which I believe is a mistake. Scott just needs to worry about being Scott, whoever that is.

So that's a whole ball of psychology there to untangle and we wonder why our QB and team has had confidence issues.

My advice to Scott would be to get out of his own head. Boil things down to how to manage a football team where there is trust and accountability. He also has to kick this idea that he is one of the guys. Also favoritism in player treatment undermines trust in the system. He's not going to fix this with X's and O's and new trick plays, but how he conducts himself from recruiting to graduation. It has to be above board. You can't create trust with fake QB battles and other slimey douche moves, because those things also tell people who you are.

And that is who I think Scott is. If you are his buddy, you can trust him and he will bend over backwards for you. But if you are not his buddy, then you don't get the same treatment. Scott also tells me he is the type of guy who will try to slip something past you. I think Scott wants everyone to think he is like Tom, but the reality is, he's not at all like him. Scott is a thin skinned person who doesn't have his own act together yet. And this is reflected in how the team performs. After all, the team is a reflection of the head coach.
You nailed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NikkiSixx
It seems to go back and forth between recruiting and coaching. Can anyone say we honestly have had less talent that many of the teams who have beaten us in the last 3-4 years? Throw out the tOSU and maybe in Wisconsin but Northwestern, Iowa, Minnesota, Colorado, take your pick from many more. To me, that is the measure, when you don't seem to have the collective stars but you still manage to find a way to win, good coaches can do that. If
Agreed. I think that "talent" is an excuse-crutch. We can't win because we don't have "talent". I bet the performance differences between a 4 and 5 star player is minimal and as hard to discern as the difference between a #4 and #6 ranked team.

Coaching, conditioning, attitude, tradition, and scheme much more important than "talent".

Go Blue!

I agree with you on that chip. There is definitely something to that and I just don't feel like he has ever been comfortable here. Winning helps that, but I think at UCF he was able to be successful because he was carefree and was able to just coach. There is basically no media, a fanbase that is somewhat passionate but not crazed like ours and a pretty easy schedule to navigate. I think Scott has all of the tools, just needs to stop stepping on his dick and trying to change what has made him successful.

You can't create trust with fake QB battles and other slimey douche moves, because those things also tell people who you are.
The Nebraska football team could have been in a much different (better) place right now if Gebbia or POB had been given an honest shot at the job and the offense tweaked a little to suit their strengths.

Frost also ran off some players that were under Riley for no other reason than they were not his players. Handing Cam Jurgens the ball at Center. Even not giving a son of a former player a fair shot.

I hope you may have given up on Frost too quickly. I think he's got a better team this year and with his recruiting has set the stage for sustained winning. We'll see. He needs to win this year.
Frost needs to hold players accountable. Bad snaps, penalties and turnovers are unacceptable. Instead of immediately holding a player accountable and replacing him, Frost just keeps playing the same players with justification that experience will make them better. Same mistakes same outcome.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The problem with this analysis is, we typically have better-ranked recruiting classes than a lot of those teams with "more talent" according to your metric. This would suggest that we are not good at player development, or otherwise not showcasing the talent of our players, which should also be criteria for a good coach. All-conference teams are selected not based on raw talent but on game productivity, and our players are not productive. The fact that we have little representation on those all-conference teams is probably more a result of our lack of success, than a cause of it.

I hope you may have given up on Frost too quickly. I think he's got a better team this year and with his recruiting has set the stage for sustained winning. We'll see. He needs to win this year.

The Nebraska football team could have been in a much different (better) place right now if Gebbia or POB had been given an honest shot at the job and the offense tweaked a little to suit their strengths

Frost needs to hold players accountable. Bad snaps, penalties and turnovers are unacceptable. Instead of immediately holding a player accountable and replacing him, Frost just keeps playing the same players with justification that experience will make them better. Same mistakes same outcome.

It appears, to me , that in the new age of instant portal transfers, coaches are actually still recruiting players even after they sign and arrive on campus. So they have to be careful in how they communicate with players.

However, I suspect, top programs like Alabama, Ohio STate, Georgia, Clemson, are in a better position to hold players accountable the old fashion way since these programs and coaches are legit proven winners and must know what they're talking about. These programs will better help me develop and land in the NFL, so I will do what they say.

I think so but he has to prove it this year.

The team Mike Riley left him was the least talented Husker team since WW2. That is no longer the case. He should have the talent to win some games people don't expect or it's probably not going to happen.

Hand Picked Veteran QB
Solid OL
Excellent Defense loaded with experienced players.
Actual depth and a roster of BIG Ten quality players.

This is the year he proves he can do this job or not.

Frost has the potential and resources to be a good head coach. And he's doing a number of things at a high level, which give me hope that he'll become a good coach. But until his teams start winning I don't see how anyone can describe him as good. He's mediocre at best, at least so far.

This. Frost has been a disaster at Nebraska so far, has never beaten a team while at Nebraska that had superior talent to Nebraska. Moreover, he has lost numerous games to inferior teams. Year 4 now, still no serviceable QB nor RB for an above average P5 team.

Hope this dramatically and suddenly reverse.
Ding Ding Ding , winner winner chicken diner.

If Scott wasn't from Nebraska and QB of a National Champion Nebraska team , he’d out the door or at least been given the win this year or your gone speech.

Oh and why to we keep giving can aches extensions when they haven’t proven anything ? Riley and Frost got extensions . 🤪

It seems to go back and forth between recruiting and coaching. Can anyone say we honestly have had less talent that many of the teams who have beaten us in the last 3-4 years? Throw out the tOSU and maybe in Wisconsin but Northwestern, Iowa, Minnesota, Colorado, take your pick from many more. To me, that is the measure, when you don't seem to have the collective stars but you still manage to find a way to win, good coaches can do that. If
Oh my, don’t open this can of worms. Do a search of the Frost defenders over the past couple years and they have said that Indiana, Iowa State, (insert the name of any bottom feeder) all had superior talent over Nebraska when their new coaches took over.

Surrounding yourself with quality assistant coaches could make a world of difference to a head coaches success. As of right now, I am not so sure that Frost has done this.
If I run a company and I have nearly unlimited payroll to bring in the best and the brightest - That's what I do. Even if those people are better than me.

Nebraska pays our assistants really top notch money for imo not top notch talent. - Perfect example -
Mario Verduzco - 375k in 2020
Corey Dennis (QB coach for Ohio State) Made 105k in 2019 and 300k in 2020

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
If I run a company and I have nearly unlimited payroll to bring in the best and the brightest - That's what I do. Even if those people are better than me.

Nebraska pays our assistants really top notch money for imo not top notch talent. - Perfect example -
Mario Verduzco - 375k in 2020
Corey Dennis (QB coach for Ohio State) Made 105k in 2019 and 300k in 2020
My goodness, if Mario were to be let go, his only job offer would be from Div. 2 schools, he'd be rejected by NDSU for sure. I don't mind paying a QB coach $1 million per year, but we desperately need a good one that's proven across multiple QBs.

Frost also ran off some players that were under Riley for no other reason than they were not his players. Handing Cam Jurgens the ball at Center. Even not giving a son of a former player a fair shot.
I wouldn't say that Frost ran anybody off. Some guys wouldn't put in the work and were half assing it at practice. (Avery for one). When they found themselves a couple of rungs down on the depth chart because of their own actions, they decided to go elsewhere. Gebbia was the only guy we lost that I think most would say was a big loss. Avery MIGHT have played for us IF he would have the right attitude. Gebbia would have started quite a few games for us and may very well have won the job back IF he had stuck it out. Welcome to the transfer generation.

As far "not giving the son of a former player a fair shot" goes, I assume you're talking about John Raridon. I was a John Raridon booster but from several accounts he wasn't exactly the most motivated guy as far as football goes. IF he would have been a viable option at center there is ZERO doubt that he would have gotten a shot to play when Jurgens was struggling. I don't think he got above 3rd on the depth chart at guard even. That disappointed me because even though he was obviously out of shape, it looked like he had pretty good feet and quickness. He loved football so much that he didn't even transfer to another team. He just "retired".

I wouldn't say that Frost ran anybody off. Some guys wouldn't put in the work and were half assing it at practice. (Avery for one). When they found themselves a couple of rungs down on the depth chart because of their own actions, they decided to go elsewhere. Gebbia was the only guy we lost that I think most would say was a big loss. Avery MIGHT have played for us IF he would have the right attitude. Gebbia would have started quite a few games for us and may very well have won the job back IF he had stuck it out. Welcome to the transfer generation.

As far "not giving the son of a former player a fair shot" goes, I assume you're talking about John Raridon. I was a John Raridon booster but from several accounts he wasn't exactly the most motivated guy as far as football goes. IF he would have been a viable option at center there is ZERO doubt that he would have gotten a shot to play when Jurgens was struggling. I don't think he got above 3rd on the depth chart at guard even. That disappointed me because even though he was obviously out of shape, it looked like he had pretty good feet and quickness. He loved football so much that he didn't even transfer to another team. He just "retired".
I think he was talking about Joe Burrow

I think he was talking about Joe Burrow
he made it sound like he was talking about a player who was already on our roster. There was nothing on Joe Burrows resume at the time he was going to transfer that said he was going to have the senior year he had. MUCH of his senior year was due to his offensive coordinator. That said, I would have taken him just based on his mop up duty performance against NU in that blow out. I guess Frost never saw that video when he made the decision.

Not talking about Burrow. I am talking about someone that was here enrolled and on the roster. And his father was a former Husker!

Last edited:
Not talking about Burrow. I am talking about someone that was here enrolled and on the roster.

giphy.gif

Who dat?

My goodness, if Mario were to be let go, his only job offer would be from Div. 2 schools, he'd be rejected by NDSU for sure. I don't mind paying a QB coach $1 million per year, but we desperately need a good one that's proven across multiple QBs.
No kidding. We should go get a guy that has coached 4 guys to the NFL, had his QB be all conference 13 times, and coach an FCS QB to player of the year. Now a guy with that resume could do wonders here.

Yeah, I think both Gebbia and POB are outperforming AM now, heck, even Noah Vedral looked better last year before he got injured at Rutgers.

Please tell me where Vedral was better than Martinez last year. And this is just passing. If we throw in rushing it is even worse.

Vedral
CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG

Martinez
CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG

It seems only fair that I respond to a few of the posts,

First, regardless of what Frost does with his own players he cannot influence the media's selection of the all BIG 10 team. Further, I saw no indication that there was a significant difference between the media and the coaches' all-conference teams. Thus, there is no evidence that Frost is influencing the selection of the all-conference team to enhance his position in my analysis. If someone has such evidence, I would like to see it.

Second, a few posters objected to my analysis saying that you are your record. Assuming this is true, then how do these posters account for Pat Fitzgerald? Under their reasoning Fitzgerald was the best coach in the West in 2018. Then, inexplicably and catastrophically plummeted to the bottom of the West and became the worst coach. Then he turned things around in 2020 and once again became the best coach. How did he do this? What changed? Which is the real Pat Fitzgerald and why?

Third, some posters continue to harp about player development, but they offer no specifics. How do these posters know what a given player's ceiling is? What is their methodology? Simply saying it doesn't make it true.

Fourth, some posters pointed to out-of-conference games as examples of where Frost lost to a team with inferior talent. How did they arrive at this conclusion? How can we check their work? Without specifics, this sounds like something that was made up.

Finally, and in the same vein, one poster said Frost has never beaten a team with a superior talent. Where are the facts supporting this conclusion?

I look forward to your answers.

I have my doubts about frost's ability to be the head man, from press conferences to in-game decision making

however, and much like his peer coaching the men's hoops team, the guy seems able to scheme open looks. also like Hoiberg, he can't go out and take the open 3 for his guys or take the snaps/make the throws for AM

here's our 4th year starter just completely missing Martin, who's open by 7+ yards on all sides, on as basic a throw a D1 QB will ever attempt

Well hell, The Oregon St. coaches apparently found a way to motivate Avery enough since he was 1st team all Pac-12 last year.

I have my doubts about frost's ability to be the head man, from press conferences to in-game decision making

however, and much like his peer coaching the men's hoops team, the guy seems able to scheme open looks. also like Hoiberg, he can't go out and take the open 3 for his guys or take the snaps/make the throws for AM

here's our 4th year starter just completely missing Martin, who's open by 7+ yards on all sides, on as basic a throw a D1 QB will ever attempt

It was a very windy day like 80 percent of the games he has played in.

Ha ... minister of propaganda and chief sycophant Matt Davison is quick to chime in with the long throw and wind excuses

how many football programs have their associate AD and bestest friend of the head coach doing commentary for their games

it would be like hiring the best man at your wedding to be a coordinator

Last edited:
Ha ... minister of propaganda and chief sycophant Matt Davison is quick to chime with the long throw and wind excuses

how many football programs have their associate AD and bestest friend of the head coach doing commentary for their games

it would be like hiring the best man at your wedding to be a coordinator
I assume every broadcast team in the country are as big or bigger homers

and the best man has turned out to be a better coordinator than the groom has been head coach

First, regardless of what Frost does with his own players he cannot influence the media's selection of the all BIG 10 team. Further, I saw no indication that there was a significant difference between the media and the coaches' all-conference teams. Thus, there is no evidence that Frost is influencing the selection of the all-conference team to enhance his position in my analysis. If someone has such evidence, I would like to see it.

Second, a few posters objected to my analysis saying that you are your record. Assuming this is true, then how do these posters account for Pat Fitzgerald? Under their reasoning Fitzgerald was the best coach in the West in 2018. Then, inexplicably and catastrophically plummeted to the bottom of the West and became the worst coach. Then he turned things around in 2020 and once again became the best coach. How did he do this? What changed? Which is the real Pat Fitzgerald and why?

Third, some posters continue to harp about player development, but they offer no specifics. How do these posters know what a given player's ceiling is? What is their methodology? Simply saying it doesn't make it true.

Fourth, some posters pointed to out-of-conference games as examples of where Frost lost to a team with inferior talent. How did they arrive at this conclusion? How can we check their work? Without specifics, this sounds like something that was made up.

Finally, and in the same vein, one poster said Frost has never beaten a team with a superior talent. Where are the facts supporting this conclusion?

Where the F did you come from? Let me guess you’re related to jlb ?smell’s really fishy.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska

Hard pass.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska

What the Hell are the "facts" supporting your conclusion? You've concocted a dimwitted theory that a bad team with almost no players on the all-conference teams MUST have a good coach because they managed to beat a few other bad teams over the course of three years. And yet, you seem absolutely shocked that people are calling B.S.

Last edited:
So, will Scott Frost reach this level, at Nebraska?

Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State​

Mike-Gundy-oklahoma-state.jpg
Getty Images

Ever why Gundy has stayed at Oklahoma State for so long? Well, it’s because it’s his alma mater. He was the starting quarterback for most of his four seasons, finishing his career with 49 touchdown passes and nearly 8,000 passing yards. He left as the all-time leading passer in school history and Big Eight history.

He’s now approaching two decades as the OSU head coach, taking the Cowboys to a bowl game in nearly every season. While he hasn’t reached the same level as Oklahoma or Texas, he’s made Oklahoma State one of the Big 12’s most consistent programs.

The best coaches at Nebraska in my lifetime are not graduates of Nebraska.

Coaching at your alma mater isn't easy.

Pat Fitzgerald is an outstanding fit. He was promoted from within, after their head coach suddenly passed away.

Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern​

Pat-Fitzgerald-northwestern.jpg
USA Today

Fitzgerald played for the Wildcats when they went 10-1 in 1995 and earned an improbable trip to the Rose Bowl. He was also the Big Ten Defensive Players of the Year twice. However, he’s done far more for Northwestern as a coach. He’s cultivated a successful and consistent football program at a school where academics are not sacrificed for the sake of athletics.

He’s made the Wildcats a perennial bowl participant and a team that nobody is surprised to see in the top-25, which is an amazing accomplishment at Northwestern.

Paul Chryst, Wisconsin​

Paul-Chryst-Wisconsin.jpg
Getty Images

Chryst was nothing special as a player, but he’s taken the Badgers to another level since taking over at his alma mater in 2015. Wisconsin has become the team to beat in the Big Ten West and is getting accustomed to playing in major bowl games and being a top-10 team.

The Badgers haven’t quite reached the level of being a serious national championship contender year after year, but Chryst is certainly building toward making that happen.

Rich Rodriguez (West Virginia) 2001-2007 (60-26)

Chris Ault (Nevada) 1976-1992; 1994-1995; 2004-2012 (233-109-1)

Phillip Fulmer (Tennessee) 1992-2008 (152-52)

Johnny Majors (Tennessee) 1977-1992 (116-62-8)

Bobby Petrino (Louisville) 2003-2006; 2014 – present (57-18)

Mike Riley (Oregon State) 1997-1998; 2003-2014 (93-80)

John Robinson (USC) 1972-1974; 1993-1997 (104-35-4)

Bill Walsh (Stanford) 1977-1978; 1992-1994 (34-24-1)

Three notables not on that list are two alums who had less than successful returns:

Cam Cameron (Indiana) 1997-2001 (18-37)
John Blake (Oklahoma) 1996-1998 (12-22)

And then we have the granddaddy (no pun intended) of alumni coaches Frank Beamer (Virginia Tech) who is hanging up his headphones after 29 seasons at Virginia Tech where he currently holds the distinction of having the most wins of any active coach (238-121-2 compiled from 1987-2015).

Frank Solich, now Scott Frost. Jim Harbaugh at Michigan has a better record, but fans are plenty restless of the product on the field.

We shall see how 2021 plays out.

So, will Scott Frost reach this level, at Nebraska?

Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State​

Mike-Gundy-oklahoma-state.jpg
Getty Images

Ever why Gundy has stayed at Oklahoma State for so long? Well, it’s because it’s his alma mater. He was the starting quarterback for most of his four seasons, finishing his career with 49 touchdown passes and nearly 8,000 passing yards. He left as the all-time leading passer in school history and Big Eight history.

He’s now approaching two decades as the OSU head coach, taking the Cowboys to a bowl game in nearly every season. While he hasn’t reached the same level as Oklahoma or Texas, he’s made Oklahoma State one of the Big 12’s most consistent programs.

The best coaches at Nebraska in my lifetime are not graduates of Nebraska.

Coaching at your alma mater isn't easy.

Pat Fitzgerald is an outstanding fit. He was promoted from within, after their head coach suddenly passed away.

Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern​

Pat-Fitzgerald-northwestern.jpg
USA Today

Fitzgerald played for the Wildcats when they went 10-1 in 1995 and earned an improbable trip to the Rose Bowl. He was also the Big Ten Defensive Players of the Year twice. However, he’s done far more for Northwestern as a coach. He’s cultivated a successful and consistent football program at a school where academics are not sacrificed for the sake of athletics.

He’s made the Wildcats a perennial bowl participant and a team that nobody is surprised to see in the top-25, which is an amazing accomplishment at Northwestern.

Paul Chryst, Wisconsin​

Paul-Chryst-Wisconsin.jpg
Getty Images

Chryst was nothing special as a player, but he’s taken the Badgers to another level since taking over at his alma mater in 2015. Wisconsin has become the team to beat in the Big Ten West and is getting accustomed to playing in major bowl games and being a top-10 team.

The Badgers haven’t quite reached the level of being a serious national championship contender year after year, but Chryst is certainly building toward making that happen.

Rich Rodriguez (West Virginia) 2001-2007 (60-26)

Chris Ault (Nevada) 1976-1992; 1994-1995; 2004-2012 (233-109-1)

Phillip Fulmer (Tennessee) 1992-2008 (152-52)

Johnny Majors (Tennessee) 1977-1992 (116-62-8)

Bobby Petrino (Louisville) 2003-2006; 2014 – present (57-18)

Mike Riley (Oregon State) 1997-1998; 2003-2014 (93-80)

John Robinson (USC) 1972-1974; 1993-1997 (104-35-4)

Bill Walsh (Stanford) 1977-1978; 1992-1994 (34-24-1)

Three notables not on that list are two alums who had less than successful returns:

Cam Cameron (Indiana) 1997-2001 (18-37)
John Blake (Oklahoma) 1996-1998 (12-22)

And then we have the granddaddy (no pun intended) of alumni coaches Frank Beamer (Virginia Tech) who is hanging up his headphones after 29 seasons at Virginia Tech where he currently holds the distinction of having the most wins of any active coach (238-121-2 compiled from 1987-2015).

Frank Solich, now Scott Frost. Jim Harbaugh at Michigan has a better record, but fans are plenty restless of the product on the field.

We shall see how 2021 plays out.
Harbaugh has been close to a bust at UofM. They've underperformed every year under Harbaugh. Maybe he needs to be the little spoon once in a while. Mix it up, Jimbo!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT