ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rodney Groce looking at Miss St?

obobbo

Sophomore
Jan 31, 2006
Saw on the other site a new crystal ball pick for Miss st..Any body hear if he is thinking about visiting them?

If we lose out on him we lose out on him. This is what happens in big boy recruiting. We did it to Kentucky last year with Wan'Dale Robinson.

Our staff, who I still believe has a lot of potential as individual coaches, needs to start adjusting accordingly to their big boy jobs right now.

Reactions: husker2612
Been gone for a min.
He only been committed for a min.
giphy.gif

Hate to be "we didn't want him anyway" guy and obviously his offer list must show what I don't know, but I didn't see it with this kid.

I watched his film and was forced to just trust that if Barrett wants him then I must not really know what to look for on LB film.

I definitely got the appeal with Hannah and Henrich, I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing that makes this guy so desirable.

Reactions: arvadahusker
If we lose out on him we lose out on him. This is what happens in big boy recruiting. We did it to Kentucky last year with Wan'Dale Robinson.

Our staff, who I still believe has a lot of potential as individual coaches, needs to start adjusting accordingly to their big boy jobs right now.
If we want to recruit with Ohio St, and Alabamas, and Clemson of the world we are going to have to start using their "tricks". You all know what I mean. I get the keep in clean and honest, but that isn't how the game works now days and hasn't for a very long time. If we don't adjust with it we will be stuck with 20s and 30s classes from here on out.

Reactions: TheBeav815
If we want to recruit with Ohio St, and Alabamas, and Clemson of the world we are going to have to start using their "tricks". You all know what I mean. I get the keep in clean and honest, but that isn't how the game works now days and hasn't for a very long time. If we don't adjust with it we will be stuck with 20s and 30s classes from here on out.
Scholarships aren’t enough? I’m appalled at the suggestion.

Scholarships aren’t enough? I’m appalled at the suggestion.
You can be all goodie goodie all you want. Anyone thinks that this hasn't or will never happen at Neb is being ignorant. This stuff is the normal not the exception. If people honestly believe this behind the scenes stuff doesn't happen at 90% of the p5 programs you are living in a fairy tale land.

You can be all goodie goodie all you want. Anyone thinks that this hasn't or will never happen at Neb is being ignorant. This stuff is the normal not the exception. If people honestly believe this behind the scenes stuff doesn't happen at 90% of the p5 programs you are living in a fairy tale land.
oh, okay.

I was under the impression you thought scholarships were enough and college football players shouldn't receive any additional benefits.

my b.

90% huh. You pulled that out of your ass.

how do you think we got WanDale??

Reactions: Junior Hoogland
Hate to be "we didn't want him anyway" guy and obviously his offer list must show what I don't know, but I didn't see it with this kid.

I watched his film and was forced to just trust that if Barrett wants him then I must not really know what to look for on LB film.

I definitely got the appeal with Hannah and Henrich, I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing that makes this guy so desirable.
We need linebackers though.

We need linebackers though.
We do but he may have looked at the guys we recruited last year and figures he might be stuck on the bench for a while. People don't appreciate how highly regarded our linebacker class was. They'll all be playing next fall after redshirting.

Reactions: TheBeav815
We do but he may have looked at the guys we recruited last year and figures he might be stuck on the bench for a while. People don't appreciate how highly regarded our linebacker class was. They'll all be playing next fall after redshirting.
Or maybe he is looking at our record and the disaster that occurred in Minn and said gotta get outta here!

I was never able to get passed that timed 40 time of 5.0 seconds. It made me cringe and say WTF. Chole, the Georiga ILB, is at least timed at 4.8 and you can get that down to low 4.7 in college. There are 330 pound offensive lineman who run 5.0 40 times.

I was never able to get passed that timed 40 time of 5.0 seconds. It made me cringe and say WTF. Chole, the Georiga ILB, is at least timed at 4.8 and you can get that down to low 4.7 in college. There are 330 pound offensive lineman who run 5.0 40 times.
Hannah isn't a burner but his film was so much strike, shed, tackle. Kid was constantly in the right place, beating blocks and making nice hits.

And Henrich was just game wrecking. Kid was everywhere.

This dude...I dunno. Maybe his size is the big appeal?

Reactions: dinglefritz
Mississippi State doesn't get thrashed 34-7 at Minnesota---even in that weather.
Well Mr. MSU superfan, the only reason they didn’t get thrashed by Minnesota is because they didn’t play them. They lost to 2-5 Tennessee (who lost at home to Georgia State), gave up 56 to Auburn and lost at home to KSU. I don’t think the Bulldogs great on field performances have much to do with this flip.

Well Mr. MSU superfan, the only reason they didn’t get thrashed by Minnesota is because they didn’t play them. They lost to 2-5 Tennessee (who lost at home to Georgia State), gave up 56 to Auburn and lost at home to KSU. I don’t think the Bulldogs great on field performances have much to do with this flip.
I know they don't play Minnesota. That's what's known as a hypothetical.

I never once said that their performances were great. I said they don't get thrashed 34-7 at Minnesota. Lots of gray area, chief.

What's it like to live in the land of extremes?

Lighten up.

Mississippi State doesn't get thrashed 34-7 at Minnesota---even in that weather.
Not disagreeing with you, but I will ask when was the last time an SEC team has played in that kind of weather? Saban is not stupid that is why they never play teams out of conference late in the year in Northern weather. SEC teams simply don't even want to schedule games like that.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Well, this thread is obviously high caliber. Apparently believing that a mediocre to bad SEC team would give Minnesota a better game than a mediocre to bad Big 10 team gets one labeled as a troll.

I don't think that was a troll post, although you have zero idea -- none whatsoever -- how Mississippi State would fare against Minnesota, nor what role the Minnesota game played -- if any -- with Groce.

Outside of that, pretty much spot on.

They do have a highly regarded LB coach, who has a good track record of developing lbs though.

When you put that resume up against our lb coaches resume well...ya know...

I don't know what his reasons are for decommitting, but saying that if Nebraska had MSSU's LB coach instead of Ruud that he'd still be a Husker is baseless at best.

I know the simpleton response is to say, "It's not ONLY that," but he also shows an offer from Bama and they check every box, but I would start with the 2 hour and 18 minute drive from Pleasant Grove, AL to Starkville, MS versus the TSA pat down and connecting flight that takes you from Alabama to Nebraska and work my way up to first-year assistant Tem Lukabu versus Barrett Ruud on the excuse ladder, but that's just me.

"Lukabu owns five years of linebacker coaching experience at the collegiate level, which includes stops at Florida International, Rutgers, Colgate and Rhode Island," Hailstate.com. You're jumping into the thread and hanging your hat on this guy?

Last edited:
I don't know what his reasons are for decommitting, but saying that if Nebraska had MSSU's LB coach instead of Ruud that he'd still be a Husker is baseless at best.

I know the simpleton response is to say, "It's not ONLY that," but he also shows an offer from Bama and they check every box, but I would start with the 2 hour and 18 minute drive from Pleasant Grove, AL to Starkville, MS versus the TSA pat down and connecting flight that takes you from Alabama to Nebraska and work my way up to first-year assistant Tem Lukabu and his resume versus Ruud and his resume on the excuse ladder, but that's just me.
Feels like NU hooked bigger fish to me. Reminds me of that RB situation last year where there was so much grumbling on the board that he "re-opened his commitment" and guess what, by the end of the cycle we signed 4 RBs who were pretty well regarded.

I like the other ILB kid they're heating up on a lot better.

Reactions: hedonistimpulse

I know the simpleton response is to say, "It's not ONLY that," but he also shows an offer from Bama and they check every box, but I would start with the 2 hour and 18 minute drive from Pleasant Grove, AL to Starkville, MS versus the TSA pat down and connecting flight that takes you from Alabama to Nebraska and work my way up to first-year assistant Tem Lukabu versus Barrett Ruud on the excuse ladder, but that's just me.

"Lukabu owns five years of linebacker coaching experience at the collegiate level, which includes stops at Florida International, Rutgers, Colgate and Rhode Island," Hailstate.com. You're jumping into the thread and hanging your hat on this guy?

Try 2019 miss state coaches not 2018, then come back w ur critique on whether or not he is a good LB coach or not.

Hint; their current LB coach has put 2 LBs in the NFL including one that is currently starting while coaching at armpit of the SEC Vandy...

Once u have actually looked up the "real coach" then compare the resumes side by side and tell me as a kid that wants to play in the nfl, which coach would appeal to u more, as a coach that might be able to develop and get u to the league.
Hint: one coach has tangible results, the other mmmm not so much....

Last edited:
I don't think that was a troll post, although you have zero idea -- none whatsoever -- how Mississippi State would fare against Minnesota, nor what role the Minnesota game played -- if any -- with Groce.

Outside of that, pretty much spot on.
And neither does anyone else.

Thank for at least addressing the topic and comment.

Try 2019 miss state coaches not 2018, then come back w ur critique on whether or not he is a good LB coach or not.

Hint; their current LB coach has put 2 LBs in the NFL including one that is currently starting while coaching at armpit of the SEC Vandy...

Once u have actually looked up the "real coach" then compare the resumes side by side and tell me as a kid that wants to play in the nfl, which coach would appeal to u more, as a coach that might be able to develop and get u to the league.
Hint: one coach has tangible results, the other mmmm not so much....

I see it's Chris Marve who is 30 and been a coach for six years, five of them at Vanderbilt. Color me impressed.

Three linebackers were drafted during his time at Vanderbilt, which is surprising, and they've got two LBs committed for this cycle, plus I'm assuming Groce will be their third. If he's your Broyles recipient and best recruiter in the nation, that's cool. Their two LB commits are from Mississippi and Groce is from 2 hours from campus, but I'm sure it's not that.

Last edited:
I see it's Chris Marve who is 30 and been a coach for six years, five of them at Vanderbilt. Color me impressed.

Three linebackers were drafted during his time at Vanderbilt, which is surprising, but they've got zero LBs committed for this cycle even though I'm assuming Groce will be their first. If he's your Broyles recipient and best recruiter in the nation, that's cool. They will probably get Groce, though.

He was inly the LB coach at Vandy for 3 yrs, and had 3 players drafted. That is pretty imptessive no matter where u are at, but especially if u are coaching at Vandy.

So u never answered whos resume looks better to a recruit? A guy that has tangible evidence of getting players yo the nfl success, or a coach who has never really coached before?

He was inly the LB coach at Vandy for 3 yrs, and had 3 players drafted. That is pretty imptessive no matter where u are at, but especially if u are coaching at Vandy.

So u never answered whos resume looks better to a recruit? A guy that has tangible evidence of getting players yo the nfl success, or a coach who has never really coached before?

Who's got more tangible results, Marve or the guy at Bama because the kid has offers from both? Clearly you're grasping here.

That aside, I would counter by asking what looks better to a recruit, a guy who played for a loser in college telling you he can get you to the League or a guy who played in the League for years after being a 2nd round pick saying he can get you to the League?

Something else that is tangible: Marve has played for or coached for one winning team at the collegiate level - 2008 Vanderbilt which went 7-6. So, in 11 combined years as a player and coach he's been on one winner. Ruud has been on multiple playoff teams in the NFL and was part of the 13-0 UCF staff. There's a lot of tangible things that support Ruud, but you can be a Marve guy if you like - he is going to get Groce, so he has that going for him.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT