ADVERTISEMENT

Is Nebraska still a Blue Blood program?

Who cares?
Nebraska has been a crappy football program for quite a while. Does being a blue blood make any difference whatsoever?
I mean, it gives you pseudo-message board cred - whoopity doo dah!

Guess it’s that time again to ask this question... actually surprised it came from someone other than jlb321...

Short answer is yes, until we are not. I don’t care what opposing fans say, I don’t care what pretend fans say. We are a blue blood until the experts (who still call us a blue blood) says we aren’t. We need to start winning again if we want to remain a blue blood, but for now we still are.

This thread should now be locked, as there is no other correct answer...

Do blue blood program AD’s whine about playing too many tough teams?

Do blue blood program fan bases whine when paired up to compete with the best?

Just can't stand it, can you?

D6nO6hDX4AEkXV6.jpg

9276477.jpg

It depends. Are we talking Blue Bloods as fans or Blue Bloods on the field.

As fans I think the answer is yes- as long as those old enough to remember the 90’s are still around. (I’m in that group).

On the Field the answer is it no longer matters. Have you been a championship contender the last 3-5 years, or at least a Conference contender? It is the only thing that matters anymore from a football standpoint.

Guess it’s that time again to ask this question... actually surprised it came from someone other than jlb321...

Short answer is yes, until we are not. I don’t care what opposing fans say, I don’t care what pretend fans say. We are a blue blood until the experts (who still call us a blue blood) says we aren’t. We need to start winning again if we want to remain a blue blood, but for now we still are.

This thread should now be locked, as there is no other correct answer...

Who’s to say it didn’t come from jlb..

It takes a very long time to earn blue blood status, and it takes a very long time to lose it.
Nebraska is safe for another decade or two.

Neb is absolutely a blue blood

Your history can make you a blue blood while at the same time being completely irrelevant in the present

somewhat analogous to the Roman and Greek empires of the past - past greatness, present obscurity.

no current blue blood has had a period of irrelevance, in the modern era, anywhere near as long as Neb currently is experiencing

Last edited:
Minnesota has more national titles than Nebraska and has been irrelevant much longer.

My post stated no blue blood has had a longer period of irrelevance than Neb

minnesota isn’t a blue blood

Blue Bloods are through out time of history , not just 5 years, 10 years, 20 year, 25 years...

This past decade 2010-19 Nebraska had it’s 3rd worse decade in schools history 75-54 % of 0.581 and is coming off 3 losing seasons..

Only 6 other college football programs in the FBS has won more football games..

Yes this question has been brought up many times on here. But it is still a good question to ask I think. The short answer is that yes, we are "still" a blue blood program. But the sad fact is I am not sure how much it matters when we have now gone two decades of being irrelevant on the national level. We are not just going through a "dry spell" like Alabama did for a short while. We are in a very long dry spell and in the eyes of most college football fans we are not just irrelevant but we will, most likely remain so.

The consensus seems to be that a school in our geographical location just cannot compete at that level anymore. The view is that we caught lightening in a bottle for four decades with the Devaney/Osborne dynasty but that their unique genius for program building on the prairie is gone forever. It is theoretically possible of course that Frost can bring us back, but his dismal record over the past two years is viewed as further proof that it is highly unlikely that anyone can pull this off again.

My own view is that we are a blue blood whose best days are behind us and that we will never regain the past glory we once had. We can aspire to be Wisconsin and not much more. Everyone is on TV now. Everyone has tons of money. Everyone has great facilities. And many, many teams have rabid fans bases just like ours. What distinguishes us now? How are we on the cutting edge of anything??

Until we start recruiting like OSU and PSU and Michigan do we will be Wisconsin. I wish I did not feel this way but I do.

My post stated no blue blood has had a longer period of irrelevance than Neb

minnesota isn’t a blue blood
They certainly were in the 40's, 50s, and part of the 60s. By the early-mid 1970's they became irrelevant.

They were a blue blood and within 15-20 years became irrelevant, not a legitimate national title contender.

Reactions: bshirt73
They certainly were in the 40's, 50s, and part of the 60s. By the early-mid 1970's they became irrelevant.

They were a blue blood and within 15-20 years became irrelevant, not a legitimate national title contender.

they certainly had an elite run, however, I have never seen Minnesota on a list of top 10 or so blue blood programs.

I did edit my post to say no current blue blood in the modern era

OP has a valid point. Sure we have the National Championships, Conference Championships, Bowl appearances, etc. But the “AD whining” is very highly weighted in these rankings. We could be in trouble.

Yes this question has been brought up many times on here. But it is still a good question to ask I think. The short answer is that yes, we are "still" a blue blood program. But the sad fact is I am not sure how much it matters when we have now gone two decades of being irrelevant on the national level. We are not just going through a "dry spell" like Alabama did for a short while. We are in a very long dry spell and in the eyes of most college football fans we are not just irrelevant but we will, most likely remain so.

The consensus seems to be that a school in our geographical location just cannot compete at that level anymore. The view is that we caught lightening in a bottle for four decades with the Devaney/Osborne dynasty but that their unique genius for program building on the prairie is gone forever. It is theoretically possible of course that Frost can bring us back, but his dismal record over the past two years is viewed as further proof that it is highly unlikely that anyone can pull this off again.

My own view is that we are a blue blood whose best days are behind us and that we will never regain the past glory we once had. We can aspire to be Wisconsin and not much more. Everyone is on TV now. Everyone has tons of money. Everyone has great facilities. And many, many teams have rabid fans bases just like ours. What distinguishes us now? How are we on the cutting edge of anything??

Until we start recruiting like OSU and PSU and Michigan do we will be Wisconsin. I wish I did not feel this way but I do.
Actually Pennsy, on paper, Nebraska the past three recruiting classes (2018, 19, 20 per Rivals) has averaged right at top 16 and is well within PSU and Michigan talent range. I know that doesn't count for much, but honestly, that means Nebraska isn't very far behind those programs in talent, name, and notoriety. Things will start to look up this season.

Well stated and I agree. Recruiting is key and we should all know that high level coaching is a rare commodity these days. Nebraska had one common thread through the great years, Tom Osborne, perhaps the best of all time.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
The schedule complaints are more about balance than difficulty and the team with the biggest gripe should be Michigan.

There were three West division teams ranked in the preseason top-25; Ohio State plays none of them during the regular season whereas Michigan plays the two highest ranked teams.

Actually Pennsy, on paper, Nebraska the past three recruiting classes (2018, 19, 20 per Rivals) has averaged right at top 16 and is well within PSU and Michigan talent range. I know that doesn't count for much, but honestly, that means Nebraska isn't very far behind those programs in talent, name, and notoriety. Things SHOULD start to look up this season.
Things SHOULD start to look up this season.

Do blue blood program AD’s whine about playing too many tough teams?

Do blue blood program fan bases whine when paired up to compete with the best?
We've got to turn the corner pretty soon or we will be kicked out of the club. Golden Goofers won a lot in the 1940s. No one considers them blue blood but what is

Don’t know why Minnesota always gets put in this discussion when they had losing decades in the 1970’s 1980’s 1990’s and were .500 in 2000-2009 and this past decade they were 66-61...

I know the Gophers were national powers in the 1930’s 1940’s and fell on hard times after the 1960 football season and were one of the top 10 programs up to that point that’s it..

Reactions: timnsun
well since someone mentioned blue bloods ...

how long before one is at risk for losing "blue blood" status?

I assume blue bloods are expected to be elite at least some of the time.. there has to be more than just total wins, most of which are meaningless

if you define an elite season (worthy of blue blood status) as a top 10 finish or major bowl appearance (NY6 equivalent)

The last elite season Nebraska has had dates back to 2001 (nearly 2 decades)

Listed is what other blue blood programs have accomplished since that time (2001)

Texas - 7 top 10s, 5 major bowls, 1 nat title
USC - 9 top 10s, 10 major bowls, 2 nat titles
Alabama - 13 top 10s, 10 major bowls, 5 nat titles
Michigan - 5 top 10s, 6 major bowls
OSU - 16 top 10s, 15 major bowls, 2 nat titles
ND - 3 top 10s, 5 major bowls
OU - 12 top 10s, 14 major bowls
Penn State – 6 top 10s, 5 major bowls

Nebraska is the only program without an elite season in the past 5 years
Nebraska is the only program without an elite season in the past 10 years
Nebraska is the only program without an elite season in the past 15 years

List of longest streaks (cycles) without a top ten finish or major bowl appearance by a blue blood (+ Penn State)
1960 - current

Michigan - 4 years
Alabama - 5 years
OSU - 6 years
USC - 7 years
ND - 7 years
Texas - 8 years
PSU - 8 years
OU - 12 years
Nebraska - 18 years and counting

will Frost get Neb back to having an elite season/status ... it didn't take very long for other blue bloods when they got their coach

Blue Blood programs and time to an elite season. In parenthesis is the number of wins the program had in the 3 years prior to being hired. Jury is out for some - Harbaugh and Herman. Urban took over a team already performing at an elite level so I did not include him. Kept the list to the 90s onward.

Of the 10 coaches listed (not including Frost)

6/10 - elite season in year 2
9-10/10 - elite season by year 3 - can debate Mack Brown

6/10 had won a national title by yr 3
7/10 had played for a national title (above 6 + Kelly)

Blue Blood + Great Coach = elite season by years 2-3 (modern era)

Mack Brown - yr 3 - 7 -1 in conference top 15 -- yr 4 top 10 - (22 combined wins the 3 yrs prior)

Tom Herman - year 2 NY6 win -- (16 wins 3 yrs prior)

Pete Carrol - year 2 top 5 -- Nat Title yrs 3-4 -- (19 wins the prior 3 yrs)

Lloyd Carr - year 3 nat title (25 wins prior 3 years)

Jim Harbaugh - year 2 - top 10 + major bowl (20 wins the prior 3 years)

Jim Tressel - year 2 nat title (25 wins the prior 3 years)

Bob Stoops - year 2 - nat title (12 wins the prior 3 years)

Lou Holtz - year 3 national title (19 wins the prior 3 years)

Brian Kelly - year 3 nat title game (16 wins the prior 3 years)

Nick Saban - year 2 ranked 6th - year 3 nat title (22 wins the prior 3 years)

Scott Frost - 0.375 winning percentage in 2 years (19 wins the prior 3 years)

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
No one should compare SF 3rd year because of a shorten season and the season not staring till late October because of the pandemic...

It’s Ludicrous...

I assume blue bloods are expected to be elite at least some of the time.. there has to be more than just total wins, most of which are meaningless

if you define an elite season (worthy of blue blood status) as a top 10 finish or major bowl appearance (NY6 equivalent)

Listed is what other blue blood programs have accomplished since that time (2001)

List of longest streaks (cycles) without a top ten finish or major bowl appearance by a blue blood (+ Penn State)
1960 - current

Michigan - 4 years
Alabama - 5 years
OSU - 6 years
USC - 7 years
ND - 7 years
Texas - 8 years
PSU - 8 years
OU - 12 years

will Frost get Neb back to having an elite season/status ... it didn't take very long for other blue bloods when they got their coach

Blue Blood programs and time to an elite season. In parenthesis is the number of wins the program had in the 3 years prior to being hired. Jury is out for some - Harbaugh and Herman. Urban took over a team already performing at an elite level so I did not include him. Kept the list to the 90s onward.

Mack Brown - yr 3 - 7 -1 in conference top 15 -- yr 4 top 10 - (22 combined wins the 3 yrs prior)

TL/DR, and didn’t need to read your agenda driven post.

Minnesota has more national titles than Nebraska and has been irrelevant much longer.
I will say this about Nebraska fans, as an Iowa fan. You guys will likely never be as pathetic a fanbase as Gopher fans. Very impressive how well you guys have continued to support the program through the rough patch. I don't know if you guys can ever get to like consistently OSU/Bama level again on the field but obviously you'll be contending again at some point in the conference and have always gotten recruiting classes with guys that can compete anywhere so anything can happen.

TL/DR, and didn’t need to read your agenda driven post.

here's the CliffsNotes for you

of the blue blood programs:

elite season - major bowl (New Years 6 or equivalent) or top 10 finish

1960 - current

Michigan - 4 years
Alabama - 5 years
OSU - 6 years
USC - 7 years
ND - 7 years
Texas - 8 years
PSU - 8 years
OU - 12 years

I’m glad you included Penn St because I dont know why certain publications fail to include them as a blueblood. They certainly meet every metric. Whether it be wins, top 10 finishes, top 5 finishes, NC’s, NC games played in, Major bowl wins, Major Bowls played in, All Americans produced, NFL players produced, etc. etc. Historically, they are a top ten recruiter that recruits Nationally. Joe Paterno is No 1 overall in wins. I say that that’s a “blue blood” resume. Been a fan for 47 years and read your board pretty regularly. No doubt in my mind Frost can bring Nebraska back, he just needs that break thru year to get the ball rolling.

here's the CliffsNotes for you

of the blue blood programs:

elite season - major bowl (New Years 6 or equivalent) or top 10 finish
Thanks for the Cliffs... I’m assuming you pulled the original post from that saved document you have entitled, “Stirthepot”.

Just a simple cut and paste, correct?

Just can't stand it, can you?

D6nO6hDX4AEkXV6.jpg

9276477.jpg

I agree with the top 30 ... I even agree with the rank order. 4 of the top 10 are B1G teams. 7 of the top 30 are big ten members.

Well stated and I agree. Recruiting is key and we should all know that high level coaching is a rare commodity these days. Nebraska had one common thread through the great years, Tom Osborne, perhaps the best of all time.

Oh sir, I most respectfully disagree. Yes, of course TO was a superb HC. That simply cannot be denied.

However, as great as he was for sure!......but Devaney was far, far better. ;) No need to bore you with my reason.

Heh....but we were soooooo lucky to have those two. Now, if only HCSF can get us rolling again......he's quite possibly our last chance imo. He hacks it or it's Smiling Mike or Clownahan results for a long, long time.

We are a blue blood going through a tough patch. Not difficult to understand
A tough patch? If you drove on a 20 year stretch of bad highway your shock absorbers would be dead and all the fillings in your mouth would fall out. Just the ugly appearance we have today! We never should have left the Big 12. All we had to do then was beat one program and we were elevated to a top 20 team. Do you consider any Big 12 team to be top teir except Oklahoma? Face it, we will never be anything other than a middle of the road Big team, and never again rise to blue blood except by drinking blue Kool Aid.

1960 - current

Michigan - 4 years
Alabama - 5 years
OSU - 6 years
USC - 7 years
ND - 7 years
Texas - 8 years
PSU - 8 years
OU - 12 years

Jim Harbaugh deserves an asterisk in my opinion. Michigan and Nebraska are historical blue bloods.

Clemson, Alabama and Ohio State are Top 3 and only three programs with CFP titles.

In 2020, they are solid programs. The Blue Bloods are reminders of the 20th Century.

With Nebraska, a reminder of Dr. Tom Osborne and his outstanding accomplishment. Frank Solich was a Nebraska coach, but the popularity of the Blue Blood term and level importance kind of left with him.

College Football is in the CFP era now.

Fwiw

Is Nebraska still a "blue blood" program? I'd say "no", at least no more than Minnesota or Tennessee are these days. It's been 20 years since we've won any kind of championship. Going 5 years without winning one is a 'dry spell'. Going 20? Well, I think anyone who honestly believes we're still part of the upper crust is only fooling themselves.

Is Nebraska still a "blue blood" program? I'd say "no", at least no more than Minnesota or Tennessee are these days. It's been 20 years since we've won any kind of championship. Going 5 years without winning one is a 'dry spell'. Going 20? Well, I think anyone who honestly believes we're still part of the upper crust is only fooling themselves.
It’s not about what has happened the last 20 years... it’s historical... and historically we are one of the greats. Can we play our way out of blue blood status? Absolutely. And we are closer to that than we are solidifying our BB status. But we aren’t out of the club yet.

Apparently you still have no idea what actually a blue blood is from your post..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT