ADVERTISEMENT

Is it possible to have a power run game in the shot gun?

Why not get under center more with the power/option game?
Hard to snap the ball over your QBs head when under center.
Defenses have a tougher time loading up the box when you're in the gun. Not sure if the current center could even handle snapping the ball with the QB under center.

Defenses have a tougher time loading up the box when you're in the gun. Not sure if the current center could even handle snapping the ball with the QB under center.

Why? Technically the only difference is where the QB is, what makes a difference in loading the box?

Pistol I formation is the best for power running game out of shotgun. Allows for downhill running as Dr. Tom was adamant about. Allows for more potential misdirection and even some passing. Less distance for the snap to travel to, which could really help us right now.

OU didn't get really good this year until they got their big (250 lbs) running back eligible, Rhamondre Stevenson. Now, they're a handful and likely B12 champion over ISU which also has a fine running back, Breece Hall (215 lbs). But the Clones are not as downhill as the Sooners.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
So what is the definition of a power running game? I am confused.

Is it having a fullback? A lead blocker? QB under center? Bigger RB's? Straight ahead blocking? NO RPO's? What is the definition? Is it formation?

Football is all power at the lowest level.

Is it having a fullback? A lead blocker? QB under center? Bigger RB's? Straight ahead blocking? NO RPO's? What is the definition? Is it formation?

A power run game usually means having a pulling guard and a lead blocker and tries to get enough blockers at the point of attack to leave a hole for the running back to run through.

A power run game usually means having a pulling guard and a lead blocker and tries to get enough blockers at the point of attack to leave a hole for the running back to run through.

Well, this would make about every offense a power running game. Teams consistently use formations, motion, etc to get a numbers advantage. Spread teams use the TE in many cases in place of the fullback and everyone pulls guards.

So exactly what makes a pulling guard a big deal?

Reactions: 3buzzmable
Well, this would make about every offense a power running game. Teams consistently use formations, motion, etc to get a numbers advantage. Spread teams use the TE in many cases in place of the fullback and everyone pulls guards.

So exactly what makes a pulling guard a big deal?
A blocker more POWERful, along with a fb.

A blocker more POWERful, along with a fb.

More "powerfull" than who? Got the FB. At least we are getting somewhere. Seems that a power running game is easy to talk about but harder to define. So how will we know when we actually have one?

More "powerfull" than who? Got the FB. At least we are getting somewhere. Seems that a power running game is easy to talk about but harder to define. So how will we know when we actually have one?
Well linemen are typically more powerful than the rest of the roster, so power run game involves getting them out in front of the ball carrier along with the fb. Downhill running too, which is impossible from standard shotgun formation. Hence my suggestion for the pistol I, due to the structure of the formation by placing the running back behind the QB.

I have been trying to think of a team that has a power run game from the gun... can't really think of any.

What would it take to have a strong run game from the gun? Is it possible?

Florida and Urban did it with Tebow. He did it with Alex Smith at Utah and with Braxton Miller at OSU.

Absolutely it's possible.

Holla

Well linemen are typically more powerful than the rest of the roster, so power run game involves getting them out in front of the ball carrier along with the fb. Downhill running too, which is impossible from standard shotgun formation. Hence my suggestion for the pistol I, due to the structure of the formation by placing the running back behind the QB.

Doesn't every O have linemen that are bigger and their goal is to push the D backwards?

I think what you are saying is you want the RB moving forward hopefully with the O line when he gets the ball. Sometimes in shotgun, the ball carrier is standing pretty still when he gets the ball. Is that what you are saying. I would say the majority of the time the RB is on the move using going sideways if an inside or outside run.

I am still thinking the bottom line is personnel, not formation. In the example of Tebow, Smith and Miller you had bigger bulldozer type QBs, maybe not Smith so much who was a bit more illusive.

1st step is to start using our slots in motion as a pitch back to create a more option look out of our present zone read game with a pitch option. Not a drastic change to our offense but one that will create more pressure on the defenses edge and make them play assignments and not run to the ball. Get our great athletes the ball in space. We don't have the backs right now for power as much as I would like it. But we do have explosive athletes if we can get them in one on one situations on edge we can create some big plays and consistent 4 + yard gains and move the chains.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Auburn does a great job of it.

Oregon too (this one for our Spanish speaking friends)

Last edited:
  • Love
Notre Dame runs a power game out of the shotgun. They even do it in 14 personnel. When you have a dominate OL, TEs who can block like OL and run & catch, and versatile RBs, and a QB who can run...

In American football, a "power run (game)" is a running play used out of a variety of offensive formations using two backs (fullback, tailback). A power run (game) uses two lead blockers: the fullback and the backside offensive guard. ... Teams at all levels will use this as a base running play in their offense. Wiki

• Love
In American football, a "power run (game)" is a running play used out of a variety of offensive formations using two backs (fullback, tailback). A power run (game) uses two lead blockers: the fullback and the backside offensive guard. ... Teams at all levels will use this as a base running play in their offense. Wiki
Thank you! That's about as dictionary as it gets.

Reactions: AVeritas

I define it as under center, between the tackles, with a full back used as a battering ram. The Minnesota Vikings are running some great power with Dalvin Cook and cj Ham. The Cleveland browns lead the league in rushing with Chubb and hunt running behind our own andy Janovicka.

He changed our entire offense in 2009 to accommodate our lack of talent.

And we became more efficient on offense when needed.
Our offense was terrible in 2009. I thought he did a good job with Martinez and the offense in 2010 though. Better than Beck honestly.

Reactions: bshirt73
I think we are above bringing in position coaches at Northern Iowa. Oh wait....
Watson did serve as OC for Colorado in 3 wins out of 5 tries against our guys, including that really bad day in 2001.

I know 2009 wasn't good---but there are far worse people out there.

Watson did serve as OC for Colorado in 3 wins out of 5 tries against our guys, including that really bad day in 2001.

I know 2009 wasn't good---but there are far worse people out there.
I really like Shawn Watson. Got to interact with him a few times at some camps back in the day. Really good coach. He's kind of gotten raked over the coals working for some unsuccessful head men recently but he'd be an upgrade over our current OC

ADVERTISEMENT