ADVERTISEMENT

Is Iowa our Rival? According to TO, they are not...

Then laugh and get the f¥<£ off our board you black and yellow bitch. Sick of your shit.

nah. I think I will stick around for a bit. Remember this when you are on our board talking shit all summer.

btw, I’m not even talking smack. Just defending Iowa, which I will continue to do.

I will say the least Iowa could’ve done in these past five seasons of being the better team, the very least is to at least have won a B1G championship or a major bowl...

I realize playing and beating Nebraska is the highlight of the season for their fans, but the players can’t be happy with the relative lack of national relevance.
Beating Nebraska is not the highlight of the Iowa season. It is Top 3. The honor goes to that school between our two. Close second is ‘up north’. as for the major bowl, Iowa won a bowl game Nebraska was very well known in, the Orange Bowl.

Beating Nebraska is not the highlight of the Iowa season. It is Top 3. The honor goes to that school between our two. Close second is ‘up north’. as for the major bowl, Iowa won a bowl game Nebraska was very well known in, the Orange Bowl.
The past 5 seasons knuckle head. Slow down and read more carefully, the very least Iowa could’ve done is either win a B1G championship or a major bowl during the past 5 seasons, beating some of the worst Nebraska teams in fifty years will not earn Iowa any respect. Now GTFO.

The past 5 seasons knuckle head. Slow down and read more carefully, the very least Iowa could’ve done is either win a B1G championship or a major bowl during the past 5 seasons, beating some of the worst Nebraska teams in fifty years will not earn Iowa any respect. Now GTFO.
Everyone is different in their opinions, obviously. I think it's fair and genuine to have Iowa fans peg against Nebraska and Wisconsin as consistently challenging games over a large sample, consistently good programs over a large sample, and SHOULD be the clear competition every year for the West. Meaning, I feel Wisconsin, Nebraska or Iowa should win the West virtually every year. If you want throw in a 3rd I can settle for Minnesota, but all of the items above and competitiveness with the matchup it's Penn State or Michigan State for me.

Iowa blew their only chance at the playoffs against Mich St a couple years ago... couldn’t stop them at the goal line. Complete letdown and emasculation! Laughed my ass off at that! Then in the Rose Bowl Stanford fists your team up and down the field!!! Laughed even more! Keep trying Cumshothawks! You BLOW! Enjoy getting blown out by an SEC team in your bowl.
To be fair we both got fisted the last time we played in the Rose Bowl. You were still sore from CU though ;)

He has said, there were other teams that declare you a rival, but there has to be a certain level of excellence for both teams. Oklahoma and Nebraska fit because when they played, they were both normally ranked and playing for something. Rivalries are not lopsided.

Iowa has been ranked and beat our ass 5 times in a row. Their place, our place, doesn’t matter.

Nebraska is no rival to Iowa.
Dare I say it, but I believe T.O. Is correct. At least at the current moment in time. Iowa has our number right now. And it pains me to say it. But, I’ll say it.

I will say the least Iowa could’ve done in these past five seasons of being the better team, the very least is to at least have won a B1G championship or a major bowl...

I realize playing and beating Nebraska is the highlight of the season for their fans, but the players can’t be happy with the relative lack of national relevance.
If their fans are happy with yesterday then it explains perfectly why they are in the unenviable position of having a coach that can't win, but can't be fired. We were extremely thin...embarrassingly so...so much so that we had packages for our two backup qbs just to give our rb a break, and maybe be able to push the ball down the field. We had TEs playing in WR packages, and we had to play a walkon at rb because our one schollie back was exhausted. Iowa was awful, and were lucky they broke a couple of big plays and we can't perform kickoffs...

Whatever makes you feel better, I guess. If you are referring to our kicker, that seems pretty petty on your part. No idea what you are talking about the fans. But, like I said. If it makes you sleep better, have at it.

Whatever makes me feel better? Whatever indeed.

Your kicker, the rest of the roster, the coaches the fans in attendance, the message board folk, the media that covers Iowa.....all of them love to stick to Nebraska. Which is fine, but it's comical to watch you try to downplay how seriously and importantly everyone else associated with Iowa football took that win.

If their fans are happy with yesterday then it explains perfectly why they are in the unenviable position of having a coach that can't win, but can't be fired. We were extremely thin...embarrassingly so...so much so that we had packages for our two backup qbs just to give our rb a break, and maybe be able to push the ball down the field. We had TEs playing in WR packages, and we had to play a walkon at rb because our one schollie back was exhausted. Iowa was awful, and were lucky they broke a couple of big plays and we can't perform kickoffs...
Yes, that's exactly how it is. We have no expectations. Really, we feel fortunate to even play on the same field as Nebraska given the instability within the program.

Reactions: KinnicksRightFoot

Your kicker, the rest of the roster, the coaches the fans in attendance, the message board folk, the media that covers Iowa.....all of them love to stick to Nebraska. Which is fine, but it's comical to watch you try to downplay how seriously and importantly everyone else associated with Iowa football took that win.
Any win versus Nebraska is a good win. It's silly not to respect the program, regardless of one's feelings. We will continue playing, you can continue discounting the Iowa team, and the chips will fall where they may.

Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey
Any win versus Nebraska is a good win. It's silly not to respect the program, regardless of one's feelings. We will continue playing, you can continue discounting the Iowa team, and the chips will fall where they may.

I'm not discounting them at all. I think it could be a tremendous rivalry and I think Nebraska and Nebraska fans should fully embrace it. The thing with the kicker blowing his fairy kisses should only throw fuel on the fire.

I'm not discounting them at all. I think it could be a tremendous rivalry and I think Nebraska and Nebraska fans should fully embrace it. The thing with the kicker blowing his fairy kisses should only throw fuel on the fire.
There are certainly more similarities between the states/populations (I'm sure that will be disputed) versus Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Reactions: CriticalObserver

It’s great to beat Nebraska. I’m not downplaying that. But it really isn’t any better than any other win. The importance to Iowa’s players, fans, etc...., has more to do with the season than anything else. Now carry on with feeling better about yourself.

He has said, there were other teams that declare you a rival, but there has to be a certain level of excellence for both teams. Oklahoma and Nebraska fit because when they played, they were both normally ranked and playing for something. Rivalries are not lopsided.

Iowa has been ranked and beat our ass 5 times in a row. Their place, our place, doesn’t matter.

everyone will see this differently. Iowa has won the past 5 games yes (still makes me freaking sick...back to back years they pull off a last second FG to win it) but ultimately they are losing the war 29-18. Huskers have owned Iowa in the war, Iowa has just won the recent battles. They’d have to beat us 11 more years in a row to just even it out. And that’s not happening, not when they are struggling to beat us now while Frost has bad Husker teams. Just imagine how it’s going to be when Frost is fielding good Husker teams? Iowa will struggle to keep it within 7-10 points. But are they our rival? Honestly, for the moment yes. But once Frost has the Huskers going (and believe me, he WILL) the Huskers will own a 5-9 game winning streak and that rival talk disappears....GBR

It’s great to beat Nebraska. I’m not downplaying that. But it really isn’t any better than any other win. The importance to Iowa’s players, fans, etc...., has more to do with the season than anything else. Now carry on with feeling better about yourself.

now you’re just down playing it. You douche bags take pictures of the score board as of recent just to brag about it on social media. Try and find any Huskers doing that very thing...you know, when Bo Pelini was owning Iowa. You won’t find one picture of a score board from a Husker fan or anything like that. Us Husker fans take it like any other game. So now stop downing playing it, own up like a real man....The Husker game is like a championship to you guys and you know it.

Downplaying Iowa? Discounting Iowa? I’ve literally congratulated Iowa fans on the past five seasons wins over Nebraska numerous times. They simply can’t accept it and move on. Most Nebraska fans respect Iowa football, we don’t believe it’s the juggernaut Iowa fans portray it to be, but we respect it. The disrespect for and discounting of Nebraska’s place in college football is one sided and it comes from Iowa fans. The comparison from the 70s through 2001 is completely lopsided towards Nebraska and not worth discussing. Nebraska has been equal to or slightly better than Iowa 2002-2014 based on nearly every metric, including head to head. Iowa has clearly been the better team 2015-present. Take it or leave it iowa fans.

Cam Taylor-Britt

“People don't realize this was one of the biggest games of our year. It's tough when you lose to Iowa, man.”

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
It is. Add in we play Penn State every damn year, the wrestling rivalry with them, and the fact everybody in the conference hates those pedophile enablers, that's another rival game, at least in intensity.

Iowa plays in a heated rivalry type game more often than not and for that reason the team is hardened and battle tested. It's also the reason KF maintains an even keel attitude because you can't go through a season on an emotional rollercoaster. But the emotion was sure coming out yesterday, that's how I know the players see Nebraska as a big rival game. The emotion is there.
What a scumbag comment. Everybody at Penn State is a pedophile enabler? What a low class trashbag you are.

The only Hawk fans that hate Nebraska and consider them a rival are those Hawk fans that live in Western Iowa. Most of them live in the past as do some Nebraska fans. Living in Eastern Iowa I have always thought Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Illinois was Iowa's biggest rivals. Iowa State became a natural rival when after 43yrs of listening to their fans whine about not playing them the state legislature's ruling started the series up in the late 70s. Even now they're still whining. As far as Nebraska they made a mistake coming to the Big 10 a mistake that even Frost can't change.

The only Hawk fans that hate Nebraska and consider them a rival are those Hawk fans that live in Western Iowa. Most of them live in the past as do some Nebraska fans. Living in Eastern Iowa I have always thought Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Illinois was Iowa's biggest rivals. Iowa State became a natural rival when after 43yrs of listening to their fans whine about not playing them the state legislature's ruling started the series up in the late 70s. Even now they're still whining. As far as Nebraska they made a mistake coming to the Big 10 a mistake that even Frost can't change.
Lol.....please list why joining the B1G was a mistake. Nebraska would not have fared any better in the Big12 these past 5 seasons. Celebrate these past 5 seasons, you should, iowas earned it on the field. We’re not happy with the current state of Nebraska football, but we certainly wouldn’t trade it for iowas past, present or future.

Smug Iowa post is smug.

Been reading and posting a bit the past couple weeks to see how folks on this site view the Hawkeyes. The responses are pretty broad. Regarding whether or not Iowa and Nebraska view each other as rivals...I think the Black Friday angle helped make this game more of a rivalry but next year, the game will just be a game to me as it moves onto a Saturday.

Playing Wisconsin is the most anticipated game for many Hawks (with Iowa State a close 2nd). We know they've been a notch above us for most of the past decade and while it's frustrating, we respect them as a team. 4 of the last 8 games have been won by 1-4 points (3 of them won by the Badgers), but most fans give them credit for the win and don't make a bunch of excuses. The winner of the Iowa/Wisconsin game usually plays in the BIG Championship.

Mutual respect is clearly lacking between IA and NE. It doesn't matter if the Huskers are winning or losing, a number of the outspoken posters here see the Hawkeyes and most of the teams on their schedule as inferior to them. I think this is why many Hawkeye fans enjoy beating the Huskers (esp Hawk fans in western Iowa). Regardless, good luck next year (except on November 14th).

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
Been reading and posting a bit the past couple weeks to see how folks on this site view the Hawkeyes. The responses are pretty broad. Regarding whether or not Iowa and Nebraska view each other as rivals...I think the Black Friday angle helped make this game more of a rivalry but next year, the game will just be a game to me as it moves onto a Saturday.

Playing Wisconsin is the most anticipated game for many Hawks (with Iowa State a close 2nd). We know they've been a notch above us for most of the past decade and while it's frustrating, we respect them as a team. 4 of the last 8 games have been won by 1-4 points (3 of them won by the Badgers), but most fans give them credit for the win and don't make a bunch of excuses. The winner of the Iowa/Wisconsin game usually plays in the BIG Championship.

Mutual respect is clearly lacking between IA and NE. It doesn't matter if the Huskers are winning or losing, a number of the outspoken posters here see the Hawkeyes and most of the teams on their schedule as inferior to them. I think this is why many Hawkeye fans enjoy beating the Huskers (esp Hawk fans in western Iowa). Regardless, good luck next year (except on November 14th).
Fine post, except that, Iowa fans have been disrespectful for the most part even when Nebraska was beating Iowa 80% of the time, and “The winner of the Iowa/Wisconsin game usually plays in the BIG Championship.” is patently false. Since 2011 it’s been Wisconsin, with Nebraska, Iowa and Northwestern once each. Prior to 2011 there was no conference championship game. Iowa has never won a conference championship game.

Last edited:
Fine post, except that, Iowa fans have been disrespectful for the most part even when Nebraska was beating Iowa 80% of the time, and “The winner of the Iowa/Wisconsin game usually plays in the BIG Championship.” is patently false. Since 2011 it’s been Wisconsin, with Nebraska, Iowa and Northwestern once each. Prior to 2011 there was no conference championship game. Iowa has never won a conference championship game.
Can't/won't respond to the past disrespect between the 2 programs more than I already have. Regarding my comment about the winner of the IA/Wisc game, I'm talking recent history (2015, 16 and this year).

Lol.....please list why joining the B1G was a mistake. Nebraska would not have fared any better in the Big12 these past 5 seasons. Celebrate these past 5 seasons, you should, iowas earned it on the field. We’re not happy with the current state of Nebraska football, but we certainly wouldn’t trade it for iowas past, present or future.
If you wouldn’t trade it for the present, that’s just foolish. I read today that Nebraska has the same (give or take one) amount of 4-5 stars as Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota combined At some point the good folks in Nebraska have to stop talking about needing more talent and focus on getting better coaching. That hasn’t happened yet.

These days we don’t have a rival. Once we put a good product on the field...we can talk about that.

You are wrong. Iowa fans just marvel at all the talk of the "good ole days". Actually... they laugh at it.

Can't/won't respond to the past disrespect between the 2 programs more than I already have. Regarding my comment about the winner of the IA/Wisc game, I'm talking recent history (2015, 16 and this year).
Cherry pick dates all you want, iowas never won a conference championship game and has not represented at the conference championship more than Wisconsin, Nebraska or northwestern.

Iowa is the closest thing we have to a rival, mainly because of all the trash talking by the fans.. the only other team that sort of meets TO's criteria is Michigan State, but we don't play them every year.

We don't really have anyone else right now because TO flushed the program history down the drain when he moved us to this conference.

So really, Nebraska has to start over and find a new identity or new way to win, or become everyone's bitch in this conference.. and frankly, that seems to be the only consistent identity we have right now.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT