ADVERTISEMENT

Is Firing Frost with cause a viable option?

BugsAreQualityProtein

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 14, 2021
We all know where this is headed, it’s only a matter of time. Though I do not believe we’ll wake up Monday morning to hear the news Frost has been fired. It will be at the conclusion of the season. I just wonder if the athletic department and or university would even consider the fire with cause route.

It’s already been discussed that the NCAA infraction the team is accused of is fairly weak. I would not doubt other schools are being investigated for similar infractions too. That’s why in my opinion it just seems unethical to pursue that route. Regardless of the 20 million dollar buyout hanging over the athletic department’s head.

If they were to pursue that route, I think the potential harm it could do to the program long-term would outweigh any short-term gain. On top of that Frost has already stated multiple times he held those practices with permission from the university. If this is true and he has proof, it would be a long court battle. That in turn would cost the university even more money.

To conclude, I just feel it would leave a black eye on a program that has already taken enough beatings as of late.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Can we put a “punting expectations” clause in the next guy’s contract?

As for the buyout, I would think gofundme could do pretty well to rip the bandaid off of our massive head wound of a program.

Despite the sentiments that it’s fantasy, if Frost truly cares about this program the way he says he does, I’d expect him to decline any buyout.
The only way he can keep any dignity at this point is to do the right thing for the program, not his already inflated net worth.

Coaches should have more incentive based contracts. and there should be performance level expectations where multiple years of non performance are possible grounds for termination. A year here and there, sure, those can be expected. 4 years for 4 wins or less, probably not what your employer signed up for.

These would have a higher reward for coaches. Maybe it puts Frost to $7M per year if he succeeds (which he hasnt), but would be more like 2-3 for what he has produced.

Unfortunately, Im not sure you'll get a coach (or their agent) to agree to this.

Fabricating a fake "cause" to fire Frost and save a few bucks would be suicide. How would they ever hire Frost's successor? What decent coach would agree to come to Nebraska when they knew the contract wasn't worth the paper it was written on? Pulling some crooked shit to withhold the agreed-upon payout would be classic "short-term win, long-term loss." Might as well let the players coach themselves at that point.

Bad idea in my opinion. Nebraska has the money, you "pay the man his money" and move on. Hiring a quality coach is worth a lot more than 10 million dollars. You want to make sure Nebraska looks attractive to future hires. Last coach had 4 losing seasons and was paid $35 million dollars?!?!?! You play in the B1G West? Where do I sign!?

We all know where this is headed, it’s only a matter of time. Though I do not believe we’ll wake up Monday morning to hear the news Frost has been fired. It will be at the conclusion of the season. I just wonder if the athletic department and or university would even consider the fire with cause route.

It’s already been discussed that the NCAA infraction the team is accused of is fairly weak. I would not doubt other schools are being investigated for similar infractions too. That’s why in my opinion it just seems unethical to pursue that route. Regardless of the 20 million dollar buyout hanging over the athletic department’s head.

If they were to pursue that route, I think the potential harm it could do to the program long-term would outweigh any short-term gain. On top of that Frost has already stated multiple times he held those practices with permission from the university. If this is true and he has proof, it would be a long court battle. That in turn would cost the university even more money.

To conclude, I just feel it would leave a black eye on a program that has already taken enough beatings as of late.
Yeah, the problem is that if you go after him for a technicality or minor infraction, it's that much harder to find a good replacement.
As much as I don't think Frost is going to work out, given that he has a monster contract, the team hasn't quit on him, and a section of the fan base will support him regardless of record, I'd be inclined to encourage him to resign and wait him out.
Dude has already made bank and seems miserable. Eventually he'll have had enough.

I would like to see a mutual agreement and frost resigns at least Darrin Erstad had pride and admitted to himself he wasn’t getting it done. I would ask coach frost to negotiate with trev and resign at the end of the season. If he truly care about the program and the players that’s what should happen

Reactions: BleedRed78

No, it's just going to lead to a long legal battle that the university would probably lose. You signed the damn contract, quit being chicken shit and pay it out.

Reactions: otismotis08
Coaches should have more incentive based contracts. and there should be performance level expectations where multiple years of non performance are possible grounds for termination. A year here and there, sure, those can be expected. 4 years for 4 wins or less, probably not what your employer signed up for.

These would have a higher reward for coaches. Maybe it puts Frost to $7M per year if he succeeds (which he hasnt), but would be more like 2-3 for what he has produced.

Unfortunately, Im not sure you'll get a coach (or their agent) to agree to this.
This is true because once a guy lands a job, it's a winning lottery ticket, win or lose

No need to, OP. A few million dollars a year of payments to Frost over a few years is not going to make any difference if the new head coach makes bowl games.

People act like the $20M is a one time payment. It's not.
Very true, just hope we land the right one this time around.

People get so hung up on the money. Who cares? Getting rid of Frost is the best investment we could possibly make towards the future of this program.

So tell me if we were to fire SF, who would you like to go after, maybe someone who was undefeated and coach of the year? Oh wait your not happy with that. We can not fire frost if we want to be relevant in the next 5 years. Anyone who cant see the progress is blind as hell. Yes it has to start translating into wins and losses. The Talent is there. This team is 3-5 bad plays away from being 5-0 and top 10 in the country. But you fire frost, the new coach cant retain the players. Then we keep "Rebuilding" with the next great coach for 3 years before firing him and same thing.
Dabo started 18-14 at clemson, In a recruiting hotbed. I would also venture to say Clemson was in a better spot that Nebraska was at the start of their rebuild. It took them 3 years to win 10 games. We expect to see that at Nebraska? Clemson was 100x better than Nebraska when Dabo took over from Bowden then what SF took over. Yet it still took them 3 years to get to double digit wins. This is the first year I truly feel like Frost has bye in from every single player. I mean them voting NO on a bowl game last year is insane! All the transfers. We have the buy in now, we have the talent, we have proven this year we can hang with the best teams in the country. Now get over that hump and beat them.

So tell me if we were to fire SF, who would you like to go after, maybe someone who was undefeated and coach of the year? Oh wait your not happy with that. We can not fire frost if we want to be relevant in the next 5 years. Anyone who cant see the progress is blind as hell. Yes it has to start translating into wins and losses. The Talent is there. This team is 3-5 bad plays away from being 5-0 and top 10 in the country. But you fire frost, the new coach cant retain the players. Then we keep "Rebuilding" with the next great coach for 3 years before firing him and same thing.
Dabo started 18-14 at clemson, In a recruiting hotbed. I would also venture to say Clemson was in a better spot that Nebraska was at the start of their rebuild. It took them 3 years to win 10 games. We expect to see that at Nebraska? Clemson was 100x better than Nebraska when Dabo took over from Bowden then what SF took over. Yet it still took them 3 years to get to double digit wins. This is the first year I truly feel like Frost has bye in from every single player. I mean them voting NO on a bowl game last year is insane! All the transfers. We have the buy in now, we have the talent, we have proven this year we can hang with the best teams in the country. Now get over that hump and beat them.
What do you think about our current atrocious recruiting class and how that'll translate should Frost still be coaching here in say 2-3 years?

Hiring him was fine, his outrageous contract and extension were not.
It was the offense that voted no on a bowl game, because they are part of a broken system.
What did Frost do to rectify that in the off season? Basically nada.
Now he's a dead man walking and no decent assistant will want to join the sinking ship.

OU is down. The Big 10 is down. Our defense is pretty good so our scores look respectable.
At this point you can him or convince him to resign.
He wasn't ready for this job. It happens.

Monday morning and already on the sauce?

I don't know about anybody else, but I know one guy who's blind as hell...

Yes there has been some improvement since Frost took over, toughness for example is much improved since Riley’s last year. On the other hand there has been a complete lack of fundamentally sound football on the offensive side of the ball. Not to mention the incompetence of special teams. That punt return for a TD cost us the game. ST is a complete after thought to this staff, maybe not even a priority.

And please, if Trev has to force Frost to gut his offensive staff and hire an actual special teams coach how can he trust him to coach the team?

Doesn't Nebraska have a permanent ex-coaches fund set up already to deal with situations like this?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT