ADVERTISEMENT

Is downtown omaha...

Lived in Omaha 25 yrs, now in Fla. What's going on??? GBA/GBR

If I was a mayor of any small towns within a half an hour of any big city, I would be putting together one hell of an advertising campaign to attract young professionals to come live in their area and avoid the madness of what is happening in cities. Most small communities within that perimeter of Omaha can boast their community has the same number of people killed in the last 100 years that the city has in the last week. Same with sexual assaults and many other crimes. Buy or build a home for a fraction of the price on a half acre to 1 acre lot versus being sandwiched together. With Covid’s new reality, many people may only need to go into the office a couple times a week, if at all.

Don't live in Omaha but close enough that it caught my eye. Was a little worried last night, but my gut says no this morning.

If I was a mayor of any small towns within a half an hour of any big city, I would be putting together one hell of an advertising campaign to attract young professionals to come live in their area and avoid the madness of what is happening in cities. Most small communities within that perimeter of Omaha can boast their community has the same number of people killed in the last 100 years that the city has in the last week. Same with sexual assaults and many other crimes. Buy or build a home for a fraction of the price on a half acre to 1 acre lot versus being sandwiched together. With Covid’s new reality, many people may only need to go into the office a couple times a week, if at all.
I think thats already underway

Reactions: B1G RED RULES

I have a few friends that have already moved to new-builds in Bennington.

I prefer waffles to pancakes.
See, I can post completely irrelevant thoughts too

The thing about waffles that often times get over looked when you're deciding between the two, is that you can pack more goodies into every bite because the waffle pockets hold more syrup and whipped cream and blue berries. Pancakes are nice, but you don't get as much of the extras per bite, and I love me some extras.

The thing about waffles that often times get over looked when you're deciding between the two, is that you can pack more goodies into every bite because the waffle pockets hold more syrup and whipped cream and blue berries. Pancakes are nice, but you don't get as much of the extras per bite, and I love me some extras.
They also take longer to get soggy, which I think is a plus. I’d say I was a pancaker when I was young, but came to the waffle as I grew up. People learn things and change, some might even go the other way.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

You mean...a suburb?

I kid I kid...sort of.

Lived here for 44 years, and have many friends from just outside the area who don't like much about Omaha, but I've still never heard anyone call it that.
I would bet there's plenty they like about Omaha. They probably like to b**** about it as they drive into town

There are a lot of people much braver than me. When a cop tells me to do something, I do it. I don't like the idea of being shot or thrown into jail for disobeying very much.
i agree but you and I grew up in places where getting pulled over by the police was a very rare thing. Maybe never.
and if we did get pulled over we knew why we were getting pulled over before the cop walked to our car.
thats not the case in some places
i'm not condoning some peoples actions just explaining the different people have difference experiences that affect their view of the world and subsequently their behavior. and often times based on that, their behavior is a little more explainable. You and I won't understand it, because we have no idea what life has been like for all these other people.
but , yes, get out of the car and do what your told will prevent a lot of bigger problems

With Covid’s new reality, many people may only need to go into the office a couple times a week, if at all.
I think this will impact cities more than concerns about crime or homelessness or other issues. Downtown Denver has its share of problems, but young people still flocked there in droves to live in tight, costly spaces. But now that many of them rarely even go to their nearby office, the appeal might wear off quickly.

I think this will impact cities more than concerns about crime or homelessness or other issues. Downtown Denver has its share of problems, but young people still flocked there in droves to live in tight, costly spaces. But now that many of them rarely even go to their nearby office, the appeal might wear off quickly.

We were headed in the same direction pre Wuhan Flu....this virus just sped it up by a decade. As the older generation dies off and the younger gen starts to make it on their own, they will shop online and work at home with zero reservations about it. As a 52 y/o...I still like to see and touch and try on what i'm buying, with amazon generous return policies for online, Zoom for work, etc....the rate of people who feel like me is rapidly disappearing.

Reactions: Thortulz
Yep. Big cities have a lot of jobs but too many idiots that think they can do anything. Chicago is full of thugs. It’s just rampant. There is it respect for others based in people having either a shitty upbringing or just think this workd is only fir their rules. I don’t live their anymore as it’s a sh!thole

We were headed in the same direction pre Wuhan Flu....this virus just sped it up by a decade. As the older generation dies off and the younger gen starts to make it on their own, they will shop online and work at home with zero reservations about it. As a 52 y/o...I still like to see and touch and try on what i'm buying, with amazon generous return policies for online, Zoom for work, etc....the rate of people who feel like me is rapidly disappearing.

We'll be living in a Wall-E like world before you know it
WALL-E-Axiom-Passengers.png

Yeah I guess it just depends on how determined employers are to put people back in their offices 5 days/week. I'm okay working mostly from home, and I've enjoyed certain aspects of it, but I'm ready to go back to my downtown office full-time if and when that policy returns. But I feel like I'm in the minority, as I expect pushback from a whole lot of people.

Reactions: tpmcg and NikkiSixx
When businesses have to start closing down or they need to start letting employees go crime will always increase.

The number of homicides had dipped pretty low from 2017 - 2019 when the economy was rocking then Covid hit....

Yeah I guess it just depends on how determined employers are to put people back in their offices 5 days/week. I'm okay working mostly from home, and I've enjoyed certain aspects of it, but I'm ready to go back to my downtown office full-time if and when that policy returns. But I feel like I'm in the minority, as I expect pushback from a whole lot of people.

My girlfriend feels the exact same way you do...she's 48, works, or used to anyway, in the Weird Herald bldg, really enjoyed her walks around down town on her lunch hour and misses them very much.

My girlfriend feels the exact same way you do...she's 48, works, or used to anyway, in the Weird Herald bldg, really enjoyed her walks around down town on her lunch hour and misses them very much.
This is an interesting phenomenon. Besides the productivity aspect of work, there is a social component that is missing from remote work.

My wife's company allows people to choose where they work. Some are working in the office, and others are deathly afraid to come in. They hope work from home is here to stay and are strong proponents of it. If they hire someone new, will that person be able to choose where they work? Will they become assimilated to the company? I think it is going to be challenging to develop their culture when it is so disconnected. But, I suppose it depends partly on the nature of one's work. If you're a self starter and do the bulk of your work in solitude, it can work out.
Then there's the challenge of separating your work life from your home life when residing at home most of the time.

I'm 27 but you can call me 52 because I'm the same way.

i agree but you and I grew up in places where getting pulled over by the police was a very rare thing. Maybe never.
and if we did get pulled over we knew why we were getting pulled over before the cop walked to our car.
thats not the case in some places
i'm not condoning some peoples actions just explaining the different people have difference experiences that affect their view of the world and subsequently their behavior. and often times based on that, their behavior is a little more explainable. You and I won't understand it, because we have no idea what life has been like for all these other people.
but , yes, get out of the car and do what your told will prevent a lot of bigger problems

Sure, but if you see behavior that's inappropriate, the thing to do isn't to say "well, they have a different view because of where they grew up", the thing to do is to teach them the appropriate way to behave. That goes for the cop, and for the citizen they pulled over as well. If people don't know the right thing, they need to be shown the right thing and then expected to follow it.

There are millions of lunatics that now believe the police are just itching for a reason to shoot them. The odd thing is, the more they 'resist', the likelier it is that they will be shot. Weird logic some have.

Imagine this scenario. A confrontation goes down in a neighborhood. There is one or more dangerous people making the locals feel unsafe. They have guns and they commit crimes. So, the locals call the police to assist with the bad guys. The police arrive and are immediately labeled as killers and racists. It's like something from the Twilight Zone. The truth is stranger than fiction. And before anyone points to any number of highly publicized and isolated incidents, I'll remind them that this is country of 350 million people. Your chances of being shot while cooperating are about the same as your chances of winning the Powerball.

Funny, I've been marveling at how prophetic this movie was for awhile now!

you even have governments encouraging it by running ads acting like you're a hero if you sit on your couch and watch netflix all day and night. i can't imagine anything dumber.

Yep. Big cities have a lot of jobs but too many idiots that think they can do anything. Chicago is full of thugs. It’s just rampant. There is it respect for others based in people having either a shitty upbringing or just think this workd is only fir their rules. I don’t live their anymore as it’s a sh!thole
That's odd, I've lived in the Chicago area for over a decade and had zero problems with "thugs" bothering me. They didn't bother me in Lakeview, they didn't bother me in Rogers Park, they didn't bother me in the West Loop when it was peppered with vacant packing plants and long-empty industrial buildings. Didn't bother me on the South Side going to Midway or to the MSI. Didn't bother me on the *scary* Green Line or the Pink Line or the Red Line.

Yes there is crime, yes there is gang activity. You know where else they had that? Lincoln, Nebraska where I lived right before moving to Chicago.

But thank God the wholesome burgs of Western Nebraska don't suffer such "thugs" like big, scary Chicago does. What's that, they do? https://theindependent.com/news/cri...cle_f23c7888-2a48-11e8-a16d-33954bcd32bd.html

Well ok maybe not Grand Island but surely Kearney. What? Not Kearney either??? https://nebraska.tv/news/local/law-enforcement-seminar-discusses-gangs-in-nebraska

Maybe we'd all be safer in wherever it was they robbed those people's house while they were at the funeral?

Anywhere you find enough humans you'll find crime. INCLUDING police forces. Some people are good and some people are shitty. How many of you have ever worked even ONE job where there wasn't a guy you had to work with who was a total piece of shit? Well they have that when you're a cop, too. Except their total piece of shit gets a gun and a badge. What's hard to imagine about that?

That's odd, I've lived in the Chicago area for over a decade and had zero problems with "thugs" bothering me. They didn't bother me in Lakeview, they didn't bother me in Rogers Park, they didn't bother me in the West Loop when it was peppered with vacant packing plants and long-empty industrial buildings. Didn't bother me on the South Side going to Midway or to the MSI. Didn't bother me on the *scary* Green Line or the Pink Line or the Red Line.

Yes there is crime, yes there is gang activity. You know where else they had that? Lincoln, Nebraska where I lived right before moving to Chicago.

But thank God the wholesome burgs of Western Nebraska don't suffer such "thugs" like big, scary Chicago does. What's that, they do? https://theindependent.com/news/cri...cle_f23c7888-2a48-11e8-a16d-33954bcd32bd.html

Well ok maybe not Grand Island but surely Kearney. What? Not Kearney either??? https://nebraska.tv/news/local/law-enforcement-seminar-discusses-gangs-in-nebraska

Maybe we'd all be safer in wherever it was they robbed those people's house while they were at the funeral?

Anywhere you find enough humans you'll find crime. INCLUDING police forces. Some people are good and some people are shitty. How many of you have ever worked even ONE job where there wasn't a guy you had to work with who was a total piece of shit? Well they have that when you're a cop, too. Except their total piece of shit gets a gun and a badge. What's hard to imagine about that?

If you are saying there is crime in every city and state I am with you.

If you are saying that there are safe areas in all cities I am with you.

But if you are trying to say Chicago is as safe as Grand Island or anywhere in Nebraska then you lost me.

Grand Island and Kearney are likely to be a product of their location on I-80...which is a major drug thoroughfare.

Here in Pilsen there’s a little bit of thuggery here and there that’s mostly a spill over from Little Village/Cicero, and there was a time when no one would come down here, but that was 7+ years ago. Now the only thuggery I’ve witnessed so far is the city wide curfew of 9pm on alcohol sales.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Here in Pilsen there’s a little bit of thuggery here and there that’s mostly a spill over from Little Village/Cicero, and there was a time when no one would come down here, but that was 7+ years ago. Now the only thuggery I’ve witnessed so far is the city wide curfew of 9pm on alcohol sales.
Old Irving here. Plenty safe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT