ADVERTISEMENT

Is a 5th year automatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about you provide any on-field proof of the B1G being the second best conference in the country (as you claim), and I’ll be happy to adjust my (correct) opinion.

In attempting to prove me wrong, you’ve provided only proof that this conference is, at best, middle of the road in the P5.

This all started with you hilariously claiming we compete in the 2nd toughest conference in the country, citing only opinion after opinion to support it.

I’m happy to consider facts. So far, those facts are closer to my claim than yours.

On the field, this conference is average at best according to your own data. Thank you for all of the hard work!
I could have just said it's media collusion or thrown out information that's a figment of my imagination I guess.

And you noting a likely response about NW was a defense mechanism or your part. If NW is good, it's okay to say they're good. They haven't always been good and probably won't be forever, but right now they're good. I'm sorry that doesn't support your schtick.

• Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I could have just said it's media collusion or thrown out information that's a figment of my imagination I guess.
So, no performance-based proof of your claim, then?

Just athlon’s power rankings?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Keep up the awesome work, maybe they’ll hire you.

So, no performance-based proof of your claim, then?

Just athlon’s power rankings?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Keep up the awesome work, maybe they’ll hire you.
I am patiently awaiting you to provide anything of substance that's factual.

Any link saying the B1G is the worst conference. Anything quantitative to support the notion. Literally anything.

And you noting a likely response about NW was a defense mechanism or your part. If NW is good, it's okay to say they're good. They haven't always been good and probably won't be forever, but right now they're good. I'm sorry that doesn't support your schtick.
NW is ‘good’ by B1G standards

Which, in case you haven’t been paying attention to the numbers you provided, is at best average.

How you can continue to think you’ve proven me anything but correct in this exchange is stunning.

“2nd toughest conference”. Ha!

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
The Big Ten sucks, some of you need to get out of your bubble lol. Its a laughingstock to the other conferences and we are one of the worst 3 programs in it. Let that sink in. Frosts record would be WORSE in any other conference considering we are in the slowest, least athletic one.
You forget .. Frost isn’t building to beat the likes of Iowa,
Wisconsin or even PAC12 low life’s like Colorado .... he’s building to win championships

please pay more attention to what the propaganda ministry is producing so you can be in compliance

Reactions: Vito Corleone
I am patiently awaiting you to provide anything of substance that's factual.

Any link saying the B1G is the worst conference. Anything quantitative to support the notion. Literally anything.
Over the last 15 years, the B1G is .0001% away from being the worst P5 conference in the country.

Is that better? I’ll make sure to always phrase it this way moving forward. Would hate to see your due diligence go to waste.

Now, please do the same when claiming, based on absolutely nothing but opinions, that this garbage conference is the “2nd toughest behind the SEC.”

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Vito Corleone
NW is ‘good’ by B1G standards

Which, in case you haven’t been paying attention to the numbers you provided, is at best average.

How you can continue to think you’ve proven me anything but correct in this exchange is stunning.

“2nd toughest conference”. Ha!
Finished ranked #10 last year. Fact.

B1G has the worst record against OOC P5 teams on full moon Saturdays when the wind blows out of the north over the last 12.5 years and, no, I won't provide any data to support this. RamboFact.

Last edited:
Over the last 15 years, the B1G is .0001% away from being the worst P5 conference in the country.

Is that better? I’ll make sure to always phrase it this way moving forward. Would hate to see your due diligence go to waste.

Now, please do the same when claiming, based on absolutely nothing but opinions, that this garbage conference is the “2nd toughest behind the SEC.”

Thank you in advance.
If you're going to refute multiple articles from multiple parts of the country it's clear you're not going to listen to anyone.

That is your prerogative, but at least support your thoughts with something more tangible than false claims on records and media collusion. There's got to be something you can show me, right?

If you're going to refute multiple articles from multiple parts of the country it's clear you're not going to listen to anyone.

That is your prerogative, but at least support your thoughts with something more tangible than false claims on records and media collusion. There's got to be something you can show me, right?
they're opinions.

what you've provided for me (thanks!) is definitive, performance-based fact that this conference is anything but the '2nd toughest', despite every single year being held up on a podium by outlets who rely on eyeballs from major markets to stay afloat.

it's not collusion, it's business. same reason the b1g ranks tops in revenue each year despite never, ever winning anything.

they're opinions.

what you've provided for me (thanks!) is definitive, performance-based fact that this conference is anything but the '2nd toughest'.
If you knew anything other than "scoreboard" you'd know that the SEC has been in a league of its own and the SEC has more bowl alliances with the B1G than any other conference.

Do you know what the B1G's record is in bowl games against teams other than the SEC in the time frame you're thumping your chest on? Run those numbers....if you're capable.

If you knew anything other than "scoreboard" you'd know that the SEC has been in a league of its own and the SEC has more bowl alliances with the B1G than any other conference.

Do you know what the B1G's record is in bowl games against teams other than the SEC in the time frame you're thumping your chest on? Run those numbers....if you're capable.
so, now it's actually the best conference?

jeez. talk about spin zone.

Show me with numbers or links.

If you're sticking to bowl games as the end all be all, TO was just a 12-13 scrub.
Damn near more titles than the entire B1G

Don’t forget the total lack of national trophies this conference has compiled, in addition to its futility against other P5 schools

Finally, I’m not telling you to check your work but I want to make sure all the playoff losses were counted. Thanks!

Damn near more titles than the entire B1G

Don’t forget the total lack of national trophies this conference has compiled, in addition to its futility against other P5 schools

Finally, I’m not telling you to check your work but I want to make sure all the playoff losses were counted. Thanks!
Numbers and links? Your data has been shown it needs to be verified.

3 of 5 years complete. Year 4 kicks off in exactly 100 days. So, it's 60%-70% I suppose.

Oregon was a running team with a Heisman winning QB and Frost as OC in 2014 when they passed 474 times and rushed 644. It was a more exaggerated 375/618 split in 2015 (also under OCSF) with a QB who led the nation in passing efficiency.

Oregon led its conference in rushing YPG both seasons (they actually led the Pac in rush YPG every season from 2006-2016...crazy when considering people think of Stanford as the pound the rock team in the conference).

UCF was 448/526 ('16) and then 424/500 ('17), so very consistent 45/55 splits with two very different QB situations.

UCF was 12th in the AAC in rushing YPG the year prior to Frost taking over. 9th in 2016 and then 5th in 2017. Josh Heupel continued this trend as UCF finished 3rd all three of his seasons at the helm.

Nebraska has been at 229/334 ('20), 323/544 ('19), and 404/464 ('18). Balanced in 2018, Frost's best Nebraska offense, but still tilted to the run.

Nebraska has finished at 4th ('18), 3rd ('19), and 2nd ('20) in B1G rushing YPG.

Nebraska has played from behind a lot of the time, too, so factor that into the pass/rush splits. Even if you don't factor that in, factor in that the Huskers had a 459/368 split in '17 (yes, more pass attempts than rush attempts) and finished 13th in rush YPG in the conference.

Regardless, Nebraska should continue to be one of the top rushing teams in the conference going forward. Yes, they've been hampered by personnel at multiple positions, but Frost has shown that his teams will effectively rack up yards on the ground.

So 66% was not an accurate number, just checking.

As far as Frost's offense goes, I have done extensive research on this in the past. I have broken down the run/ pass ration by quarter, half and game.

I do not have the data on my fingertips, but I will tell you that from his time as OC at Oregon and HC at UCF, as as primary playcaller his numbers were very balanced.

quarters 1-3 were almost even 50/50, then in the 4th quarter they were significantly run heavy. Outside of his first year at UCF, his teams were very successful. So when the game was still in doubt or when he was getting the game to the point of being "out of reach", he was 50/50. When those successful teams had a comfortable lead in the 4th quarter, he would lean on the running game to the tune of 60/40-65/35.

I will see if I can find that spreadsheet.

So 66% was not an accurate number, just checking.

As far as Frost's offense goes, I have done extensive research on this in the past. I have broken down the run/ pass ration by quarter, half and game.

I do not have the data on my fingertips, but I will tell you that from his time as OC at Oregon and HC at UCF, as as primary playcaller his numbers were very balanced.

quarters 1-3 were almost even 50/50, then in the 4th quarter they were significantly run heavy. Outside of his first year at UCF, his teams were very successful. So when the game was still in doubt or when he was getting the game to the point of being "out of reach", he was 50/50. When those successful teams had a comfortable lead in the 4th quarter, he would lean on the running game to the tune of 60/40-65/35.

I will see if I can find that spreadsheet.
It really doesn't matter what sequence he's using, the numbers are very easy to interpret and he's never played on or coached a team that's passed more than it ran.

Mike Riley coached at least 8 teams on the pass heavy side of the pass/run splits and Bill Callahan had one at Nebraska so it's not like it's some statistical unicorn or something - it's just clearly something Frost doesn't do.

And wouldn't the fact that his teams could line up and run when it's expected, as in with a lead in the 2nd half, be the strongest testament to his teams being run dominant?

Last edited:
It really doesn't matter what sequence he's using, the numbers are very easy to interpret and he's never played on or coached a team that's passed more than it ran.

Mike Riley coached at least 8 teams on the pass heavy side of the pass/run splits and Bill Callahan had one at Nebraska so it's not like it's some statistical unicorn or something - it's just clearly something Frost doesn't do.

And wouldn't the fact that his teams could line up and run when it's expected, as in with a lead in the 2nd half, be the strongest testament to his team's being run teams?
The sequence certainly matters. Because in a game that is close into he 4th quarter or OT, his offense would remain 50/50. His teams were able to run the ball effectively in the 4th because they had leads and the opponents were more than likely throwing the ball a ton to catch up. Hence Frost's teams got more possessions in the 4th with leads against teams desperate to catch up.

If his teams were able to line up and run the ball every play, why did they not start games off that way? Why didn't they have the 65/35 numbers in the 1st quarter?

Nebraska has struggled to win football games because this offense has a limited passing game from 7 yards and beyond. If the Nebraska offense was so effective running the ball, as you suggest, they would be much better than 12-20 under Frost.

The sequence certainly matters. Because in a game that is close into he 4th quarter or OT, his offense would remain 50/50. His teams were able to run the ball effectively in the 4th because they had leads and the opponents were more than likely throwing the ball a ton to catch up. Hence Frost's teams got more possessions in the 4th with leads against teams desperate to catch up.

If his teams were able to line up and run the ball every play, why did they not start games off that way? Why didn't they have the 65/35 numbers in the 1st quarter?

Nebraska has struggled to win football games because this offense has a limited passing game from 7 yards and beyond. If the Nebraska offense was so effective running the ball, as you suggest, they would be much better than 12-20 under Frost.
They probably didn't have 65/35 splits in the 1st quarter because defensive coordinators knew they were run dominant teams and stacked the box.

Did your research include efficacy against the various defensive fronts? If not your data is destroyed by my top sentence and the comprehensive numbers are more useful.

They probably didn't have 65/35 splits in the 1st quarter because defensive coordinators knew they were run dominant teams and stacked the box.

Did your research include efficacy against the various defensive fronts? If not your data is destroyed by my top sentence and the comprehensive numbers are more useful.
Wouldn't they also have been stacking the box in the 4th quarters too?

Wouldn't they also have been stacking the box in the 4th quarters too?
Absolutely, but the offense doesn't have to break tendencies because they don't have to score.

That aside, have you looked at the scoring by quarter? I haven't but based on the games I've watched at Oregon and UCF his teams generally started slow in the 1st half, but ended up winning by multiple scores after dominating in the 2nd half.

all showing that it isn't the second best
Except they all said exactly that.

It's not like I said I had done extensive research on the subject only to have it blown away by a couple of very rudimentary questions. That would be mighty embarrassing, amirite?

The thing with the rankings of the conferences is that there's a subjective factor involved and several people subjectively agree with my thoughts. It's different than something like pass/run splits which are purely quantitative.

It's not like I said I had done extensive research on the subject only to have it blown away by a couple of very rudimentary questions. That would be mighty embarrassing, amirite?

The thing with the rankings of the conferences is that there's a subjective factor involved and several people subjectively agree with my thoughts. It's different than something like pass/run splits which are purely quantitative.
Your links were to opinions.

The stats you posted were facts, and none ranked the B1G second. Objectively and quantifiably, it’s obviously clear the B1G is average, at best.

That you think you’re proving me wrong with them is absolutely hilarious, and extremely satisfying.

Absolutely, but the offense doesn't have to break tendencies because they don't have to score.

That aside, have you looked at the scoring by quarter? I haven't but based on the games I've watched at Oregon and UCF his teams generally started slow in the 1st half, but ended up winning by multiple scores after dominating in the 2nd half.

Oregon 2013 - TD by quarter - 23-18-16-17
Oregon 2014 16-29-22-19
Oregon 2015 18-19-13-12
UCF 2016 7-14-9-8
UCF 2017 21-23-17-14

Total 85-103-77-70

So basically79% of the TDs scored were scored when the Run/ pass was 50/50, 21% when the run/ pass was 65/35

56% of the touchdowns scored in the first half.
25% in 1st quarter,
31% in 2nd quarter,
23% in 3rd quarter
21% in the 4th quarter,

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
Your links were to opinions.

The stats you posted were facts, and none ranked the B1G second.

That you think you’re proving me wrong with them is absolutely hilarious, and extremely satisfying.
Post a link that disagrees then. I can do this as long as you want, but if you want to know who's unfounded opinion carries less weight than someone with national press credentials who gets paid to write? An anonymous message board poster.

• Haha

So facts and numbers don't matter when determining who is best? How does one determine who is best or 2nd best if you don't use data?

Post a link that disagrees then. I can do this as long as you want, but if you want to know who's unfounded opinion carries less weight than someone with national press credentials who gets paid to write? An anonymous message board poster.
I’ll take the numbers over hot air all day long.

The B1G is criminally overrated every single year, and it’s sad to see feeble minds like yours actually believe it.

So facts and numbers don't matter when determining who is best? How does one determine who is best or 2nd best if you don't use data?
Athlon sports says so, duh

This has quickly become sad and brutally pathetic

I now feel bad for so thoroughly dominating this back and forth to the point this poor sap now believes it’s raining when the b1g media machine once more pees on his leg

You create your own facts.
They turn out to be much closer to the truth than what you post.

Take the L and move on. I’ve grown weary of this thorough domination. I don’t even know what you’re trying to argue anymore.

We all agree, objectively, the B1G is anything but a top 2 P5 conference. The data (facts) are overwhelming.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
They turn out to be much closer to the truth than what you post.

Take the L and move on. I’ve grown weary of this thorough domination. I don’t even know what you’re trying to argue anymore.

We all agree, objectively, the B1G is anything but a top 2 P5 conference. The data are overwhelming.
Just provide a link to anyone who says they're the worst conference. Surely someone with a platform would agree with a winner like yourself. "Literally" anyone.

Or are you sticking with bowl records and press collusion?

Just provide a link to anyone who says they're the worst conference. Surely someone with a platform would agree with a winner like yourself. "Literally" anyone.

Or are you sticking with bowl records and press collusion?
My made up facts were closer to the truth than what you stand by steadfastly.

You’d like to use opinions to compare conferences, I see win/loss record as a better (and actual) metric.

Literally this discussion has become pathetic, and you have no leg to stand on except ‘publications agree with me’, when really you’re just agreeing with them since it eases the pain of our beloved Huskers sucking so badly for so long.

Literally.

My made up facts were closer to the truth than what you stand by steadfastly.

You’d like to use opinions to compare conferences, I see win/loss record as a better (and actual) metric.

Literally this discussion has become pathetic, and you have no leg to stand on except ‘publications agree with me’, when really you’re just agreeing with them since it eases the pain of our beloved Huskers sucking so badly for so long.

Literally.
I knew you wouldn't post a link because you literally can't.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT