ADVERTISEMENT

Is a 5th year automatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newsflash- you’re still, and will always remain, mediocre.
He's not wrong though and its the FREE BOARD guys. If you were on here when we were good you wouldve seen our fans like this MN guy, but 1000 times worse. We are below Minnesotas level now, so what do you expect? Not to mention we dont carry ANY weight in the Big Ten. Only winning will change this.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Nope. You are incorrect. But I'm not satisfying with losing. Frost should have done better than he has. I'm tired of all the excuses. It can't be the Big Ten is a weak conference and then have trouble beating Purdue. It can't be that Riley had major roster problems and the bottom line is winning, but with Frost he's given a pass.

Frost is the worst Husker coach since Jennings. Prove me wrong Coach Frost.
Anyone who follows college football nationally should tell you the B1G is the 2nd toughest football conference in America behind the SEC.

Riley took over a running offense and a team that hadn't had a losing season in nearly a decade and turned into a passing offense and a team that posted losing records in 2 of 3 years. Frost has effectively returned Nebraska to being a running team, but has clearly had a hard time winning while doing it. I think you're perceiving people discussing why something is happening for an excuse to allow it to continue.

We're 66% through this rebuild, so we're getting there, but we're probably in for a few more tough Saturdays unfortunately.

Football (this is more of a stretch but not out of realm of legit possibility)

- Head coach with multiple top ten offenses as coordinator
- Head coach that has been a national coach of year, with undefeated team that lead D-1 football in points, went undefeated and beat a once beaten SEC team. Took that team from zero wins to 12 in couple years.
- Offensive success at Nebraska with AM where team averaged 37 PPG in his last 7 games (all one possession) in his first year in 2018 which was only year overall offensive talent was not in bottom Quarter of league until 2021
- Current offensive roster expected starters and contributors higher RR than any West team with massive upgrade at both WR and O-line for 2021 compared to what Nebraska has been rolling out last couple of years.
I think "stretch" is an understatement. To your first point, his success at Oregon isn't comparable to what can happen at Lincoln. They were still a hot offense at the time, and possible anyone could have done what he did, especially in a weak conference that doesn't play defense. As to your 2nd point, he out-talented his opponents more than anything. He was the the richest recruiting area for football. He wasn't in a conference that had 3 teams light years ahead of him (tOSU, PSU, WI in this case now). As for your comment about the offensive talent being the best in the west or whatever, think again. We (Gophers) get back the entire offensive line that pushed around Auburn and their NFL draft picks in a January bowl game, including our best backup lineman. Plus another talented lineman transferred in. We have 7 legit guys on the o-line. Our QB is way better than yours, we bring back the BiG running back of the year, and we have a legit WR1. Your offensive talent isn't even in the same league as ours this coming year.

• Haha
Reactions: scarletred
I think we draw more than our fair share of bored B1G Rivals.
That could be true. I spend a lot of time reading a Gopher message board, but the reason I visited a Nebraska site was 2-fold: a) everyone talks about how delusional the fans are, thinking they are still a blue blood program and such, and it's hard to believe any Nebby fans could think like that, but you come to the board and realize how out of touch with reality most of you are and b) I was thinking of betting the UNDER on Nebraska's total wins this year and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. So far, I'm even more convinced than before that this is a 4-win team.

Most coaches that start out 12-20 get fired. He hasnt shown much for the "gained experience"
Even Tim Brewster, the biggest disaster hire in our program's history, started out 12-20. Let that sink in. You're "hero" of a head coach is on par with the worst Gopher coach in recent memory, possibly ever. Not a good sign.

So far, I'm even more convinced than before that this is a 4-win team.
You are going to rue the day you posted this ... in year 4 frost will continue the sideline genius that has been on display the past 3 years and win 6 games setting off celebrations that have scarcely ever been witnessed .... you are going to look so foolish when he wins 6 games and finishes 4th in the division

That could be true. I spend a lot of time reading a Gopher message board, but the reason I visited a Nebraska site was 2-fold: a) everyone talks about how delusional the fans are, thinking they are still a blue blood program and such, and it's hard to believe any Nebby fans could think like that, but you come to the board and realize how out of touch with reality most of you are and b) I was thinking of betting the UNDER on Nebraska's total wins this year and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. So far, I'm even more convinced than before that this is a 4-win team.
Getting your betting advice, medical diagnostics, and investment tips from complete strangers who are inherently biased is always a solid move.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Ha, that's funny. It's pretty obvious that you came on here to brag about Minnesota and put down Nebraska. No doubt because of insecurity or a sickness.

Reactions: HuskerHackFraud
Speaking off beating Vegas Insider has Nebraska 100/1 winning the national title and Minnesota 200/1 winning the national title..

Better tell Vegas your betting odds..

Your wife has 2 folds.

Wan’Dale wouldn’t be our best player on this years team if he would have stayed...

Your losing creditability with this lame azz post..
Time for you to crawl back in your hole!
A fan of a different team that isn't aware of who your "true" best player would be? Shocking. I'm so ashamed of myself. Anywho, he still was a top talent that is gone.

Anyone who follows college football nationally should tell you the B1G is the 2nd toughest football conference in America behind the SEC.

Riley took over a running offense and a team that hadn't had a losing season in nearly a decade and turned into a passing offense and a team that posted losing records in 2 of 3 years. Frost has effectively returned Nebraska to being a running team, but has clearly had a hard time winning while doing it. I think you're perceiving people discussing why something is happening for an excuse to allow it to continue.

We're 66% through this rebuild, so we're getting there, but we're probably in for a few more tough Saturdays unfortunately.
so 4 of 6 years = 66%?

So Frost is now a running team coach? Again we disagree on how we see things. You see the running by design, I see it out of necessity. He hasn't had the QB or the WR to throw the ball downfield. So he is sort of forced to run. His QBs have never averaged the number of carries Martinez does, again not by design. His QB has been hurt every season because of this, again not by design. If Martinez carries the ball 140 times or more in 2021, he will be injured again. Until Nebraska is able to accurately and efficiently throw the ball more than 0-7 yards down field, we will lose 1/2 of our games.

Frost offense is designed to be balanced, until Martinez shows he can be effective in mid to deep passing, we will depend on running the ball.

Even Tim Brewster, the biggest disaster hire in our program's history, started out 12-20. Let that sink in. You're "hero" of a head coach is on par with the worst Gopher coach in recent memory, possibly ever. Not a good sign.

so 4 of 6 years = 66%?

So Frost is now a running team coach? Again we disagree on how we see things. You see the running by design, I see it out of necessity. He hasn't had the QB or the WR to throw the ball downfield. So he is sort of forced to run. His QBs have never averaged the number of carries Martinez does, again not by design. His QB has been hurt every season because of this, again not by design. If Martinez carries the ball 140 times or more in 2021, he will be injured again. Until Nebraska is able to accurately and efficiently throw the ball more than 0-7 yards down field, we will lose 1/2 of our games.

Frost offense is designed to be balanced, until Martinez shows he can be effective in mid to deep passing, we will depend on running the ball.
3 of 5 years complete. Year 4 kicks off in exactly 100 days. So, it's 60%-70% I suppose.

Oregon was a running team with a Heisman winning QB and Frost as OC in 2014 when they passed 474 times and rushed 644. It was a more exaggerated 375/618 split in 2015 (also under OCSF) with a QB who led the nation in passing efficiency.

Oregon led its conference in rushing YPG both seasons (they actually led the Pac in rush YPG every season from 2006-2016...crazy when considering people think of Stanford as the pound the rock team in the conference).

UCF was 448/526 ('16) and then 424/500 ('17), so very consistent 45/55 splits with two very different QB situations.

UCF was 12th in the AAC in rushing YPG the year prior to Frost taking over. 9th in 2016 and then 5th in 2017. Josh Heupel continued this trend as UCF finished 3rd all three of his seasons at the helm.

Nebraska has been at 229/334 ('20), 323/544 ('19), and 404/464 ('18). Balanced in 2018, Frost's best Nebraska offense, but still tilted to the run.

Nebraska has finished at 4th ('18), 3rd ('19), and 2nd ('20) in B1G rushing YPG.

Nebraska has played from behind a lot of the time, too, so factor that into the pass/rush splits. Even if you don't factor that in, factor in that the Huskers had a 459/368 split in '17 (yes, more pass attempts than rush attempts) and finished 13th in rush YPG in the conference.

Regardless, Nebraska should continue to be one of the top rushing teams in the conference going forward. Yes, they've been hampered by personnel at multiple positions, but Frost has shown that his teams will effectively rack up yards on the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz

I have family that are Gopher fans so I know for a fact Jim Wacker and Joe Salem we just as bad as 15-30 Brewster...

The problem with this line of thinking is that a coach doesn't have to go to Nebraska to be set for life - any P5 or G5 job will provide that. Look at Fleck here, we were so used to being mediocre that he has nothing to worry about. As long as we compete for the West and beat WI half the time, he isn't in any danger of losing his job. Now why would a talented coach pick Nebraska when there are plenty of schools that will be jumping for joy with some 9 wins seasons? Come to Nebraska, go 3 or 4 years without hitting 9 wins, get fired. Who wants that?
Oh for sure. But there are like what, 110 of these "lotto" jobs, so each year how many are open. 20?

If I had my choice and the money was the same I would take Vandy over NU, Why not, zero pressure.

Rebuild is an excuse. We're not talking about winning the conference. We're talking about winning ballgames. Rebuild or not, Frost has sucked so far. Maybe after Frost gets to 100% we can break .500. :rolleyes:

Rebuild is an excuse. We're not talking about winning the conference. We're talking about winning ballgames. Rebuild or not, Frost has sucked so far. Maybe after Frost gets to 100% we can break .500. :rolleyes:
Rebuilding is a complex thing. I'm fine with you only understanding and referencing the scoreboard, but the fact that Nebraska is rebuilding is very real.

Rebuilding is a complex thing. I'm fine with you only understanding and referencing the scoreboard, but the fact that Nebraska is rebuilding is very real.

You actually have to be building something if you are going to claim we are rebuilding. We are going nowhere with this joke of a staff. We will really be rebuilding when Frost is sent back to the West Coast in two years.

When you are as dysfunctional in game 32 as you were in game 1 of your tenure you ain’t rebuilding. The only thing that has changed is that Frost can’t blame culture, wearing sweatshirts or whatever else the joke wants to claim.

Frost took over what was one of the bottom Quarter rosters from a talent perspective and was likely the most physically soft team in the Big Ten and possibly even more mentally soft. The rebuild from that perspective was going to be problematic. Outside of the fact he was a National Champion QB at Nebraska an from the state taking this job in its current condition over some of the others he could have gotten was not a smart decision.

At the end of the day Frost is getting his five years regardless of what gets posted on the free board. He will be rolling with top half of league defense and will no longer have to play multiple walkons at Wr or guys that have fully developed into Big Ten players like Jurgens in 2019 and to a lesser extent, Piper and Benhart last year.

Looking at next year Avg RR of guys that will play are simply higher at Nebraska than other West schools and they all have multiple years in program with exception of Toure who will be our best WR and quite frankly, doesn't need it.

RR QB - 5.9
Avg RR Oline - 5.8
Avg RR top two RB (assuming step and Morrison), - 5.75
Avg RR top 5 WR (exclude Toure who is legit NFL draft prospect as transfer and will start) - 5.8

This is not the type of players Frost has been running out on game day last couple of years as he has tried ot build this roster. We can blame him for taking to long to get to this point but roster is absolutely ready to go now vastly superior overall to what it previously has been since Pelini.

There are not guarantees but If you are a Husker fan and want to be excited it is completely reasonable thing with this roster and Frosts previous accomplishment coordinating offenses at Oregon an UCF and the growth we have seen with Chins.
I think "stretch" is an understatement. To your first point, his success at Oregon isn't comparable to what can happen at Lincoln. They were still a hot offense at the time, and possible anyone could have done what he did, especially in a weak conference that doesn't play defense. As to your 2nd point, he out-talented his opponents more than anything. He was the the richest recruiting area for football. He wasn't in a conference that had 3 teams light years ahead of him (tOSU, PSU, WI in this case now). As for your comment about the offensive talent being the best in the west or whatever, think again. We (Gophers) get back the entire offensive line that pushed around Auburn and their NFL draft picks in a January bowl game, including our best backup lineman. Plus another talented lineman transferred in. We have 7 legit guys on the o-line. Our QB is way better than yours, we bring back the BiG running back of the year, and we have a legit WR1. Your offensive talent isn't even in the same league as ours this coming year.

Tanner Morgans 2020 season was statistically worse than any Martinez season from a passer rating perspective. The team still did have a running game but didn't have Johnson or Bateman for many games and he went from that great 170 passer rating in 2020 to poor 128 in 2020 (maybe supporting cast matters for a QB). It also does not appear Minnesota has anywhere that level of talent to replace those type of guys based on what they have been recruiting and what I saw last year. Not coinscedentally, Bateman was the only four star in last 4 classes at WR.

• Love
He's not wrong though and its the FREE BOARD guys. If you were on here when we were good you wouldve seen our fans like this MN guy, but 1000 times worse. We are below Minnesotas level now, so what do you expect? Not to mention we dont carry ANY weight in the Big Ten. Only winning will change this.
I wouldn't have, because I wouldn't be caught dead on another team's board, unlike that loser.

if the B1G was so good, why does it have the literal worst winning percentage in bowl games of all P5 conferences the last 10 years?

you'd think such a dominant conference would have no trouble beating the big12/pac12/acc year in, year out, top to bottom

fact is: outside of ohiost the b1g sucks, and only b1g fans think it's good. the conference is a joke nationally, and deserves to be.

Infinitely more molestations in the b1g than national achievements.

Last edited:
if the B1G was so good, why does it have the literal worst winning percentage in bowl games of all P5 conferences the last 10 years?

you'd think such a dominant conference would have no trouble beating the big12/pac12/acc year in, year out, top to bottom

fact is: outside of ohiost the b1g sucks, and only b1g fans think it's good. the conference is a joke nationally, and deserves to be.
NU joined the B1G in 2011.

Bowl game records during that stretch:

SEC: 67-39 (.632)
Big XII: 37-32 (.536)
B1G: 41-45 (.477)
Pac-12: 35-39 (.472)
ACC: 42-54 (.438)

Where are you getting your data?

NU joined the B1G in 2011.

Bowl game records during that stretch:

SEC: 67-39 (.632)
Big XII: 37-32 (.536)
B1G: 41-45 (.477)
Pac-12: 35-39 (.472)
ACC: 42-54 (.438)

Where are you getting your data?
on-par with the Pac12. yes, oh so very dominant and clearly the #2 conference. LOL!

last 15 it's the worst.

the most delusional fans in college football aren't NU fans, they're b1g fans who think this conference is even close to elite.

one more year to get to ten, please and thank you.

last 9 years - on-par with the Pac12. yes, oh so very dominant and clearly the #2 conference. LOL!
SEC: 72-44 (.621)
Big XII: 40-37 (.519)
Pac-12 37-41 (.474)
B1G: 44-50 (.468)
ACC: 46-59 (.438)

FYI, the Pac-12 has the second best regular season OOC record against P5 teams during that time as well, trailing only the SEC.

That said, let me know when a team's best corner stops opting out of bowl games and they'll carry more weight in the discussion.

Random fact that's actually fact, the Mountain West has won the most Bowl Challenge Cups since it was established in the early 2000s. The SEC is the first P5 conference followed by the ACC, worst in every metric in the last 10 years with the exception of being fortunate enough to claim Clemson, and then the B1G.

Point being, measuring a conference by how it does in a bowl game is stupid and if we're going to spend our time pointing out useless information, let me be the first to point out that Tom Osborne went 12-13 in bowl games.

Last edited:
Good luck with that. You should take out a second mortgage on your doublewide and put it all on the under for Nebraska's win total.Winking

on-par with the Pac12. yes, oh so very dominant and clearly the #2 conference. LOL!

last 15 it's the worst.

the most delusional fans in college football aren't NU fans, they're b1g fans who think this conference is even close to elite.
Delusion? 15 years ain't it either, man. Lol, you're not very good at this, John.

SEC: 100-58 (.633)
Big XII: 61-55 (.523)
Pac-12: 54-53 (.505)
B1G: 57-73 (.438461)
ACC: 64-82 (.438356)

Take a break and do some recreational reading.

• Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Delusion? 15 years ain't it either, man. Lol, you're not very good at this, John.

I love how you had to extend out the percentage of the record just so you could have the big10 not be in a tie for last place. You really showed Rambo lol. The big10 is a garbage conference both on the football field and off.

I love how you had to extend out the percentage of the record just so you could have the big10 not be in a tie for last place. You really showed Rambo lol. The big10 is a garbage conference both on the football field and off.
I'm not the guy who said they "Literally had the worst winning percentage the last 10 years" only to post again with "Worst in the last 15 years".

Just the facts, ma'am.

If someone wanted to shorten the timeline, the B1G was 3-2 last year and is one of three winning P5 conferences over the last 5 bowl seasons (SEC and BigXII). I suppose if you go full Iowa fan and decide to really cherry-pick a date you could manipulate your data to the point his statement was factual, but you'd have to be a real math grand wizard to do something like that.

Last edited:
I'm not the guy who said they "Literally had the worst winning percentage the last 10 years" only to post again with "Worst in the last 15 years".

Just the facts, ma'am.

If someone wanted to shorten the timeline, the B1G was 3-2 last year and is one of three winning P5 conferences over the last 5 bowl seasons (SEC and BigXII). I suppose if you go full Iowa fan and decide to really cherry-pick a date you could manipulate your data to the point his statement was factual, but you'd have to be a real math grand wizard to do something like that.
This conference is absolute trash. The worst power 5 conference. When you have a conference that protects pedophiles, you'll always be the worst.

Last edited:
Iowa State coach turns down a $68.5 m deal to coach for the Detroit Lions. Meanwhile Nebraska is debating if we keep a coach after four losing seasons...

wow, sick burn

shall we rewind to when you said anyone nationally would agree the b1g is the second hardest conference to rebuild in?

or are facts (to the ten thousandth) only for my posts?

b1g sucks. always has, always will. it's a media darling conference because of the markets its schools happen to reside in. if no b1g schools were ranked in the pre-season, it would look exactly like the mountain west at the end of the year because that's what it is: ohio st and a bunch of uber-lame 7-10 win teams who beat nobody, and the rest.

it's the 4th hardest (of 5) to rebuild in. and honestly probably the 5th or 6th hardest conference to consistently win in.

weird player-kissers like indiana's and minnesota's coach win here. klan dynasties are mentioned in the top half here. the flagship schools molest kids left and right for decades while winning here. all have one thing in common: they win precisely nothing of substance nationally. and that goes for hoops, too.

that we continue to blow has nothing to do with how 'difficult' the b1g is. we're terrible despite the gift of playing in the one of easiest divisions in all of P5.

Last edited:
I'm not defending anyone. I'm just disseminating accurate information.

If you want to spend the rest of your night bashing the conference for what's happened off the field, go ahead. Feel free to start with Iowa.
nothing to see here, just @hedonistimpulse disseminating accurate information

hahahhahahahahahaha

you clearly don't speak to anyone 'nationally'. the b1g is the laughing stock of the P5 (outside of media which obviously rely on large markets to drive revenue).

any serious football person doesn't consider the b1g as anything close to a top-to-bottom power. because it isn't, has never been, and will never be.

without ohiost the b1g is on par with a G5 conference. the bowl record says it all.

and if you think that's stupid, please feel free to research total non-con P5 games pairing teeny tiny10 teams against their 'peers'. it'll look a lot like the bowl record.

it's ohiost and basically 13 northwesterns. **cue the 'well, NW is good!' replies**

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerHackFraud
nothing to see here, just @hedonistimpulse disseminating accurate information

hahahhahahahahahaha

you clearly don't speak to anyone 'nationally'. the b1g is the laughing stock of the P5 (outside of media which obviously rely on large markets to drive revenue).

any serious football person doesn't consider the b1g as anything close to a top-to-bottom power. because it isn't, has never been, and will never be.

without ohiost the b1g is on par with a G5 conference. the bowl record says it all.

and if you think that's stupid, please feel free to research total non-con P5 games pairing teeny tiny10 teams against their 'peers'. it'll look a lot like the bowl record.

it's ohiost and basically 13 northwesterns. **cue the 'well, NW is good!' replies**
Who are these "serious football persons" you're talking with? Are they the ones who gave you your incorrect data points you built your entire statement on, too? Provide me with something other than your tantrum by linking them to your post. Great idea, right?

And whatever happened in the B1G before 2011 is important information, but it has absolutely zero to do with Nebraska. It'd be like talking with a Colorado fan and having them mention how bad Washington was in the mid-2000s or how the Pac-10 went 1-4 in bowl games in 1999 as a reason to bash the Pac-12. That stuff happened before we even lived here.

Lastly, NW finished ranked #10 and boat raced an SEC team in a bowl game last year, so whatever point you're trying to make that ain't it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Who are these "serious football persons" you're talking with? Are they the ones who gave you your incorrect data points you built your entire statement on, too? Provide me with something other than your tantrum by linking them to your post. Great idea, right?

And NW finished ranked #10 and boat raced an SEC team in a bowl game last year, so whatever point you're trying to make that ain't it.

Minnesota also beat Auburn in 2019 and that wasn’t a Covid season like last years season..

2020 bowl season:
Wisconsin Won
Northwestern Won
Indiana Lost
Ohio St Won
Ioway Canceled

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
The B1G has been competitive in bowls since Nebraska has been in the conference, so it's a strange hill for anyone to die on.
The Big Ten sucks, some of you need to get out of your bubble lol. Its a laughingstock to the other conferences and we are one of the worst 3 programs in it. Let that sink in. Frosts record would be WORSE in any other conference considering we are in the slowest, least athletic one.

And whatever happened in the B1G before 2011 is important information, but it has absolutely zero to do with Nebraska. It'd be like talking with a Colorado fan and having them mention how bad Washington was in the mid-2000s or how the Pac-10 went 1-4 in bowl games in 1999 as a reason to bash the Pac-12. That stuff happened before we even lived here.

Lastly, NW finished ranked #10 and boat raced an SEC team in a bowl game last year, so whatever point you're trying to make that ain't it.
How about you provide any on-field proof of the B1G being the second best conference in the country (as you claim), and I’ll be happy to adjust my (correct) opinion.

In attempting to prove me wrong, you’ve provided only proof that this conference is, at best, middle of the road in the P5.

This all started with you hilariously claiming we compete in the 2nd toughest conference in the country, citing only opinion after opinion to support it.

I’m happy to consider facts. So far, those facts are closer to my claim than yours.

On the field, this conference is average at best according to your own data. Thank you for all of the hard work!

Laugh out loud funny you actually did exactly as predicted with the NW is good post, too. Beating a lame duck coach in a covid bowl, add it to the B1G’s ledger of national accomplishments! 😂😂😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT