ADVERTISEMENT

Is a 5th year automatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nebraska isn't going to be an attractive job to anyone. If Frost can't do it there, no one can, will be the thought process for any coach looking to take this job. Hometown guy, success at a smaller school, nothing at Nebraska.

I disagree, plenty of good up-and-coming coaches would take the Nebraska job.

Minnesota landed PJ Fleck, who was the hottest up-and-coming name at the time. Same with Iowa State and Matt Campbell. Even KU got a pretty good coach in Leipold, as did KSU with Klieman. None of these are big-time programs, but they attracted good coaches.

No, we're not going to land a big-name proven Power 5 coach, because those guys generally don't leave (unless there are off the field issues). But there are plenty of good young coaches who would jump at the chance to be a head coach in the Big Ten Conference and make 5 million/year.

Why get rid of Moos? Because he has a big mouth?

When the football program is struggling, usually the AD goes first (see Pedersen and Eichorst). The two main revenue sports have been dumpster fires under Moos. I expect the basketball program to be respectable soon, but everyone knows football is the king here.

Most Power 5 ADs don't get the opportunity to fire and hire multiple football coaches. You usually have to get it right the first time.

My concern is that we actually do well enough this year (say, 6-6 with bowl berth) but then tank next year. We're losing a lot of guys on defense that we would've this year if it wasn't for covid pass. Offense is hardly stockpiled, but has enough this year with what should be a veteran QB. Then what?

Just have to get better QB play period. The good thing under Frost is we don't get pushed around like we have in years past. They aren't just going to line up and get 6 yards a crack running on our D anymore. If Adrian plays very well we could win a lot of games this year. If he struggles yet again we are a 4-8 to 5-7 football team.

Why get rid of Moos? Because he has a big mouth?

During William Moos’ current reign at Neb the 2 major programs by which every power 5 athletic department in the country is measured have combined for ZERO bowl games and NCAA tournament births. The absolute worst in the conference and I believe the worst in all of power 5 athletics.

A better question is how does he still have a job?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vito Corleone
During William Moos’ current reign at Neb the 2 major programs by which every power 5 athletic department in the country is measured have combined for ZERO bowl games and NCAA tournament births. The absolute worst in the conference and I believe the worst in all of power 5 athletics.

we understand that Moos fired your lover but damn man give it a rest. Get help. All you have to do is actually look at the state of both programs you're referencing to realize that their lack of success the past 3 years is not his fault. Keep trying.

Reactions: scarletred

Sure but that more than likely changes this upcoming year.

Hoops probably makes the dance
FB makes a bowl

So, what then? What do you want to complain about then?

And what about the rest of the sports? Volleyball, Wrestling, Baseball, Track/Field, etc... just because football & basketball are taking a long time to correct (but are on the rise) doesn't mean that NU's athletic department is a failure! on the contrary, I believe many would Love to be in our position!

comparing Frost at Neb to Harbaugh at Michigan is laughable

one is 34-16 in big ten play - 68% -- the other is 9-17 - 34%
one has been ranked 4 of 6 years -- the other has never been ranked
one has a top ten finish in the nation -- the other can barely finish top 10 in the conference
one has gone to a bowl including a new years 6 bowl 5 of 6 years -- the other dreams of a bowl

one fan base expects elite seasons -- the other fan base going into year 4 is just hoping for 6 wins and a bowl

one program expects to beat their rival -- the other focuses on trying to get out of playing an historic rival altogether

one fanbase can be described as Michigan fans -- the other fanbase is better described as Frost fans
Michigan literally got out of playing their rival just this past season, and Michigan fans don't expect to beat OSU lol

Upon the Frost hire, I was committing to Frost for 5 years minimum. I now believe that he needs to bring us back to a winning season (above .500) to come back for year 5. Is the general consensus that he can have a 4th losing season and make it to year 5?
Six wins against this impossibly difficult schedule is much too much to expect. Four or five wins will be a great year. Who do you think we are? Iowa?

I don't care how many wins or losses Nebraska has this year as long as they look like a team that has a head coach that knows what the hell he is doing. Maybe a team that has a little bit of discipline, or a team that even appears to practice special teams. They have the athletes let's see what they do with them in year 4.

I disagree, plenty of good up-and-coming coaches would take the Nebraska job.

Minnesota landed PJ Fleck, who was the hottest up-and-coming name at the time. Same with Iowa State and Matt Campbell. Even KU got a pretty good coach in Leipold, as did KSU with Klieman. None of these are big-time programs, but they attracted good coaches.

No, we're not going to land a big-name proven Power 5 coach, because those guys generally don't leave (unless there are off the field issues). But there are plenty of good young coaches who would jump at the chance to be a head coach in the Big Ten Conference and make 5 million/year.
I should have said Nebraska will no longer be attractive to a young you to come stay forever.

Minnesota, Iowa St, Kansas St and Kansas - then Nebraska added to the list. Nebraska will no longer be a destination job. Just like the others you mentioned. Campbell will be gone in a few years, Fleck has already flirted with other jobs, if Klieman or Leipold have success they will also move on. Right now, Nebraska is on its way to being more like Iowa than Ohio St. Keep the HC as long as there is no trouble, have some 10 win seasons and some 5 win seasons on occasion.

the further down the road you kick the can, the further you get from the past successes. Imho.

And what about the rest of the sports? Volleyball, Wrestling, Baseball, Track/Field, etc... just because football & basketball are taking a long time to correct (but are on the rise) doesn't mean that NU's athletic department is a failure! on the contrary, I believe many would Love to be in our position!
There is absolutely no indication that football and basketball are on the rise.

Reactions: Vito Corleone
I would disagree with you on the Basketball part...

I’m not saying they’ll be in the NCAA but there definitely a up grade in talent over FH first two seasons..

Reactions: dinglefritz

Football I won't waist energy debating and we will just have to see how 2021 plays out.

Basketball, you have a coach with a sweet 16 and two round of 32 appearances that now after adding this class and transfers along with the guys who stayed has more on paper talent than at any point in the history of the program. It is honestly insane to me the roster he has put together for 21-22 at Nebraska as I never expected to see a roster comprised of players this highly thought of by analysts.

I know we don't like the results the last two years, and maybe Fred forgot how to coach or these guys just aren't any good despite that ranking and both are entirely possible, I suppose. But to say there is no indication in a sport like basketball that is talent driven is probably a bit of an overreach.

RollingLaugh

this would be like the Pittsburgh Pirates bragging about their single A affiliate the Greensboro Grasshoppers tearing it up in the minors

Last edited:
And what about the rest of the sports? just because football & basketball are taking a long time to correct doesn't mean that NU's athletic department is a failure! on the contrary, I believe many would Love to be in our position!
"what about the rest of the sports" you ask??? ...

including conference championships (reg season and tourney) awarded this year .. dating back to the 2017-18 year:

All Sports Big Ten Championships by school (includes 2021 outdoor track results) (may 18 2021)

Michigan - 28
OSU - 27
Maryland -15
Iowa - 13
Indiana - 11
Minnesota - 10
Penn St - 10
Wisconsin - 9
MSU - 8
Illinois - 7
Northwestern - 5
Notre Dame - 3 (Hockey)
Purdue - 1............................ (2 bowl games and 3 NCAA men's BB tournaments)
Johns Hopkins - 1 (lacrosse)
Neb - 1................................ (zero bowl games - zero men's basketball tournaments)
Rutgers - 0.............................. (zero bowl games - 1 mens basketball tournament)

over the last 4 seasons ... Johns Hopkins who competes in just one big ten sport - has as many conf championships as Neb who competes in nearly 20

so ..no .. I don't believe "many" would love to be in Nebs position

Last edited:
"what about the rest of the sports" you ask??? ...

including conference championships (reg season and tourney) awarded this year .. dating back to the 2017-18 year:

All Sports Big Ten Championships by school (includes 2021 outdoor track results) (may 18 2021)

Michigan - 28
OSU - 27
Maryland -15
Iowa - 13
Indiana - 11
Minnesota - 10
Penn St - 10
Wisconsin - 9
MSU - 8
Illinois - 7
Northwestern - 5
Notre Dame - 3 (Hockey)
Purdue - 1............................ (2 bowl games and 3 NCAA men's BB tournaments)
Johns Hopkins - 1 (lacrosse)
Neb - 1................................ (zero bowl games - zero men's basketball tournaments)
Rutgers - 0.............................. (zero bowl games - 1 mens basketball tournament)

over the last 4 seasons ... Johns Hopkins who competes in just one big ten sport - has as many conf championships as Neb who competes in nearly 20

so ..no .. I don't believe "many" would love to be in Nebs position
Good heavens. You spent all that time looking up and typing that ? Get help.

I never got into any of the battles with jlb321 as some of what he brings up is worth talking about... that said, I feel the need to support my statement...

in the last season Volleyball finished 6th and is historically a top tier program...
Wrestling finished in 8th place and is considered a top tier program...
the Mens Track & Field team just finished 4th in the Big10 championships... yes, the women's finished 8th
Many of the other sports either have championships or multiple medal winners over the last season
and baseball is finally having a season worth talking about...

so yeah, I do think many would like to be where we are...

I never got into any of the battles with jlb321 as some of what he brings up is worth talking about... that said, I feel the need to support my statement...

in the last season Volleyball finished 6th and is historically a top tier program...
Wrestling finished in 8th place and is considered a top tier program...
the Mens Track & Field team just finished 4th in the Big10 championships... yes, the women's finished 8th
Many of the other sports either have championships or multiple medal winners over the last season
and baseball is finally having a season worth talking about...

so yeah, I do think many would like to be where we are...
I hate to be a barrier of bad news like jlb, but very few if any in SEC, ACC and Pac-12 teams have Wrestling so calling Nebraska a top program in a sport that doesn’t have any wrestling schools doesn’t mean much... Only schools like Ioway Penn St and Oklahoma St give a damn..

Don't like reality or what's the deal lol? What @jlb321 posted are FACTS.
Nah. He's a political operative with an agenda and I'm tired of his drum beat. He's all about negative spin whether it's picking convenient dates in time for his analysis of Husker sports or a red state's COVID statistics. IF he just once posted something positive then I might relent but he doesn't ever about the Huskers. His reveling at the number of deaths at the peak of South Dakota's COVID spike were the last straw for me. The negative is obvious and easy. I don't need a jackass to point out the "facts". He is not a Husker fan and his goal is to do everything he can to tear down Nebraska. Seeing Frost fired wouldn't be enough for him. It's undeniable that somebody who spends the amount of time digging up statistics about a team he's not a fan of, has a mental health issue.

Nah. He's a political operative with an agenda and I'm tired of his drum beat. He's all about negative spin whether it's picking convenient dates in time for his analysis of Husker sports or a red state's COVID statistics. IF he just once posted something positive then I might relent but he doesn't ever about the Huskers. His reveling at the number of deaths at the peak of South Dakota's COVID spike were the last straw for me. The negative is obvious and easy. I don't need a jackass to point out the "facts". He is not a Husker fan and his goal is to do everything he can to tear down Nebraska. Seeing Frost fired wouldn't be enough for him. It's undeniable that somebody who spends the amount of time digging up statistics about a team he's not a fan of, has a mental health issue.
Ok, his political opinions aside, what is there positive to talk about in regards to our athletic dept? We may literally be the worst school in the P5 in terms of athletics.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Ok, his political opinions aside, what is there positive to talk about in regards to our athletic dept? We may literally be the worst school in the P5 in terms of athletics.
Hoiberg's recruiting gives hope at the very least. Hoiberg is recruiting at a level that I think makes it inevitable that he'll be successful. Bolt's hire looks great so far. I personally like what NU has done in football recruiting these past 2 years. The only question mark for me now is QB. I think the foundation is laid but we HAVE to have better QB play. Jlb has admitted he's not a Husker fan and his constant trolling has gotten extremely old. His "facts" often necessitate him revisiting them to edit his posts. When he's caught red handed he disappears only to reappear days later with more of his cherry picked "facts", Anybody that takes that much delight in spinning the most negative narrative he can about the Huskers on a Husker message board, has a problem.

Hoiberg's recruiting gives hope at the very least. Hoiberg is recruiting at a level that I think makes it inevitable that he'll be successful. Bolt's hire looks great so far. I personally like what NU has done in football recruiting these past 2 years. The only question mark for me now is QB. I think the foundation is laid but we HAVE to have better QB play. Jlb has admitted he's not a Husker fan and his constant trolling has gotten extremely old. His "facts" often necessitate him revisiting them to edit his posts. When he's caught red handed he disappears only to reappear days later with more of his cherry picked "facts", Anybody that takes that much delight in spinning the most negative narrative he can about the Huskers on a Husker message board, has a problem.
But he is not "spinning" anything. What you said about basketball and football is only hopeful thinking. Baseball hasnt even played a school south of the mason dixon line. Not the coaches or players fault but its safe to say they're not as good as we think. And no husker fan wants to hang their hat on being the best at baseball in the Big Ten.

But he is not "spinning" anything. What you said about basketball and football is only hopeful thinking. Baseball hasnt even played a school south of the mason dixon line. Not the coaches or players fault but its safe to say they're not as good as we think. And no husker fan wants to hang their hat on being the best at baseball in the Big Ten.
The facts he gives we all know about them.. If you like $&it rubbed your noses, be my quest!

Coming to the aid of a fellow Michigan fan?

He has openly questioned why Moos and Frost still have jobs. By ALL accounts Moos made what were considered excellent hires in every hire he made. What was he supposed to do differently? Frost was considered a homerun hire by just about everybody.

Who we played in baseball this year was beyond our control. By who we played though the NCAA baseball tourney folks seem to think we're pretty damned good. Considering we were picked in the middle of the B1G baseball this year by just about everybody I would say that Bolt is exceeding expectations.

Many very good football people said from the start that this was going to be a 5 year rebuild for the football program including several former pipeline members. Other guys who actually played for Callahan said similar things. They pointed to the talent and physical make up of our interior linemen as concerns. The linebacking and DB corp was a joke. I have no doubt that Gebbia would have won some of those games that AM missed or played injured in over the past 3 years. Much like when Frank was fired, we didn't have enough quality bodies for the offensive line on the roster. We're coming up on year 4 this fall and we'll be starting some of the highest ranked OT recruits NU has seen since Callahan left.

JLB has admitted in the past that he's NOT a Husker fan so screw him. He won't admit which team he's a fan of so he's just a POS trolling a message board. Sick.

JLB has admitted in the past that he's NOT a Husker fan so screw him. He won't admit which team he's a fan of so he's just a POS trolling a message board. Sick.

I have never stated I'm not a Neb fan - posts are archived for your review

I am not, however, a fan of historic losing and being the worst combined football and basketball program in the conference and one could argue all of power 5 sports

nor am I a fan of the demagoguery required to be labeled a faithful Neb fan

I am not, however, a fan of historic losing and being the worst combined football and basketball program in the conference and one could argue all of power 5 sports

You admitted it in a post months ago and I'm sure when you were called out for it you edited your post. By your posting history you wouldn't have to admit to anything though. Fans don't constantly point out the negative about their own team with never a positive comment even about recruiting. You're a loser. Get help.

You have never stated what team you are a fan of - even when asked. Is that accurate?

Coming to the aid of a fellow Michigan fan?

He has openly questioned why Moos and Frost still have jobs. By ALL accounts Moos made what were considered excellent hires in every hire he made. What was he supposed to do differently? Frost was considered a homerun hire by just about everybody.

Who we played in baseball this year was beyond our control. By who we played though the NCAA baseball tourney folks seem to think we're pretty damned good. Considering we were picked in the middle of the B1G baseball this year by just about everybody I would say that Bolt is exceeding expectations.

Many very good football people said from the start that this was going to be a 5 year rebuild for the football program including several former pipeline members. Other guys who actually played for Callahan said similar things. They pointed to the talent and physical make up of our interior linemen as concerns. The linebacking and DB corp was a joke. I have no doubt that Gebbia would have won some of those games that AM missed or played injured in over the past 3 years. Much like when Frank was fired, we didn't have enough quality bodies for the offensive line on the roster. We're coming up on year 4 this fall and we'll be starting some of the highest ranked OT recruits NU has seen since Callahan left.

Why do you guys always need a thousand words of wishful thinking to defend this coaching staff? Laughing All we say is: this staff is not getting it done, AS PROVEN ON THE FIELD. 12-20. And we are the worst athletic program in the P5(who is worse?) Thats it. Thats all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT