ADVERTISEMENT

Is a 5th year automatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
Upon the Frost hire, I was committing to Frost for 5 years minimum. I now believe that he needs to bring us back to a winning season (above .500) to come back for year 5. Is the general consensus that he can have a 4th losing season and make it to year 5?

Upon the Frost hire, I was committing to Frost for 5 years minimum. I now believe that he needs to bring us back to a winning season (above .500) to come back for year 5. Is the general consensus that he can have a 4th losing season and make it to year 5?
I think that would be a tough sale to the fan base. IF we would win some games and then lose AM for the year with an injury, he might get some slack. IF AM is healthy all year and we don't get to .500 I'm not sure what they would do. Regardless of the restless natives, I think Frost has some pretty solid support from some people who matter. Canning him would turn in to freaking mess. My personal feelings on the subject are that "it depends". What did the losses look like? Who did we lose to? What were the circumstances surrounding those losses? QB is my primary concern. I think it begins and ends with that this year. AM has a lot riding on his shoulders.

Not all losing seasons are created equal. I can see him surviving it if there are some signs of progress. However if the team quits and we get pummeled game after game (aka Riley's last year) then it's probably.....
9fe333546993624739b6d75a6f0576109f7c60ff.jpg

He isn't going anywhere anytime soon. There is too much riding on him being successful at Nebraska.

Nebraska isn't going to be an attractive job to anyone. If Frost can't do it there, no one can, will be the thought process for any coach looking to take this job. Hometown guy, success at a smaller school, nothing at Nebraska.

Sorry but, Frost is Nebraska's ride or die.

He isn't going anywhere anytime soon. There is too much riding on him being successful at Nebraska.

Nebraska isn't going to be an attractive job to anyone. If Frost can't do it there, no one can, will be the thought process for any coach looking to take this job. Hometown guy, success at a smaller school, nothing at Nebraska.

That's an interesting take but I'm not willing to buy that Nebraska wouldn't be attractive for a coach. Hell just the money would bring people out of the woodwork. The infrastructure and support is here. Some of it would depend on how it ended with Frost. If he resigned or went out like Doc did, I could see it being pretty easy to hire a good prospect. That's the kicker though. We're never going to hire a proven power 5 coach away from their school unless that coach has some terrible blow up where he was at. It will always be a guy still trying to prove themselves. Given that, I think Frost has a long leash to get things right. The only way I could see him leaving is if this year was a total disaster and I think we have too much talent and too good of a defense for that to happen. JMO.

Reactions: Bart Man
After what Moos said about 8 or 9 wins being realistic, he would look pretty foolish if he kept Frost after another losing season.

Last edited:
Reactions: ridge22
That's an interesting take but I'm not willing to buy that Nebraska wouldn't be attractive for a coach. Hell just the money would bring people out of the woodwork. The infrastructure and support is here. Some of it would depend on how it ended with Frost. If he resigned or went out like Doc did, I could see it being pretty easy to hire a good prospect. That's the kicker though. We're never going to hire a proven power 5 coach away from their school unless that coach has some terrible blow up where he was at. It will always be a guy still trying to prove themselves. Given that, I think Frost has a long leash to get things right. The only way I could see him leaving is if this year was a total disaster and I think we have too much talent and too good of a defense for that to happen. JMO.
You may get a washed up dude or a guy that is looking for one last chance. Maybe a guy with ties to the state or the university, like Hoiberg for basketball. But a young up and coming coach isn't coming to Nebraska, especially if Frost can't get it done.

Heck it could have already been at that point. Pelini was a up and comer, but when Solich was let go, no one wanted the job, when Pelini was let go, it didn't appear anyone wanted the job. When Riley was let go, the ONLY name discussed with any seriousness was Frost, for good reason. But if Frost wasn't available, Nebraska either sticks with Riley or hires some other washed up dude or a guy looking for that one last chance.

It is what it is.

Reactions: EastOregonHusker
From a google story on the subject, back in 2019. Not a lot has changed through a pandemic season.

"The Huskers’ head coach’s contract now runs through Dec. 31, 2026. One of the key developments of the new contract is the buyout section. The buyout for Frost will now be $5 million through 2024. That buyout price drops to $2.5 million for the final two years of Frost’s contract."

"The new buyout essentially locks Frost up for the foreseeable future. That’s exactly the intent of Nebraska’s leadership."

"It’s been an ugly start for Frost and the Huskers under his leadership. But the Nebraska coach came to Lincoln with the understanding this would be a long process in rebuilding the historic Nebraska program."

Change for the sake of change isn't likely the answer in Lincoln?

From a google story on the subject, back in 2019. Not a lot has changed through a pandemic season.

"The Huskers’ head coach’s contract now runs through Dec. 31, 2026. One of the key developments of the new contract is the buyout section. The buyout for Frost will now be $5 million through 2024. That buyout price drops to $2.5 million for the final two years of Frost’s contract."

"The new buyout essentially locks Frost up for the foreseeable future. That’s exactly the intent of Nebraska’s leadership."

"It’s been an ugly start for Frost and the Huskers under his leadership. But the Nebraska coach came to Lincoln with the understanding this would be a long process in rebuilding the historic Nebraska program."

Agree with the end result, where I disagree is the why. I don't think the contract or the money has much, if anything to do with it. They are married to Frost because he is the last chance to salvage anything.

The historic about Frost is his losses.

Reactions: Vito Corleone

I am extremely positive on 2021-2022 and think this is going to be a good football team the next two years and all this will be a mute point.

However, if they go out and go 6-6 or worse this year I personally will move into the camp that we mostly have had a coaching issue, not a talent issue. There simply is no reason with the guys we have that he cannot win this year. I am 100% certain if Fitze had this roster he would win.

The key thing for me is that if he cannot win with guys on this roster in 2021 and 2022 he will never be able to get better players as we are already seeing impacts of negative recruiting for the 2022 class

Win this year and he can sell his past and future and recruiting will pick up big time and 2022 is a huge optimism year. Go 6-6 or worse and i think its just a matter of whether we are replacing a coach this year or next.

So KSU, Minnesota, Oregon St, Northwestern, freakin INDIANA can all come from worse situations and get better but we NEVER will? Doesnt make sense. You dont think hiring 5 straight bad coaches has something to do with us struggling? Hire a good coach, he turns it around immediately. Like Tom Allen at Indiana.

So KSU, Minnesota, Oregon St, Northwestern, freakin INDIANA can all come from worse situations and get better but we NEVER will? Doesnt make sense. You dont think hiring 5 straight bad coaches has something to do with us struggling? Hire a good coach, he turns it around immediately. Like Tom Allen at Indiana.

Tom Allen was elevated from within, so unsure an apples to apples example with most head coach hires.

Pat Fitzgerald was hired from within, as well.

K-State, Minnesota and Oregon State were not. The Beavers coach wasn't a head coach, like Allen and Fitzgerald, when hired by present programs.

KSU? Snyder and Snyder alone. Oregon St? OK

Nebraska has had what 7 coaches in 60 years and according to you 5 straight have been bad, that sounds like Osborne and Devaney were the exceptions to the norm. Is that what you are getting at?

KSU? Snyder and Snyder alone. Oregon St? OK

Nebraska has had what 7 coaches in 60 years and according to you 5 straight have been bad, that sounds like Osborne and Devaney were the exceptions to the norm. Is that what you are getting at?

Have our last 5 hires not been disasters? I mean Frank Solich is the best of the bunch, that's all you need to know lol

Reactions: Oldie but goodie

Like it or not, this is true. IF Frost fails here, this is a far less attractive job than it was 4 years ago...and it was not a very attractive job then.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Agree with the end result, where I disagree is the why. I don't think the contract or the money has much, if anything to do with it. They are married to Frost because he is the last chance to salvage anything.

Michigan is in the same boat Nebraska is than, Harbaugh was their dream hire after his success at other stops including the NFL, I surely don’t think Michigan isn’t attractive job just because he didn’t get it done at his Alma mater..

Money can make almost any job attractive.
Yep!

People need to remember, these are not typical jobs that me and you get. These are lotto tickets, you get paid ALL YOUR MONEY, regardless of your performance.

Think about accepting a job and the second you sign your name on the contract, you are set for life no matter how you perform.

Michigan is in the same boat Nebraska is than, Harbaugh was their dream hire after his success at other stops including the NFL, I surely don’t think Michigan isn’t attractive job just because he didn’t get it done at his Alma mater..
We're not even close to the same boat Michigan is in. Michigan had some very good seasons under Harbaugh and came up just short of one or two great seasons. Frost has done absolutely nothing here. And no, he does not deserve a 5th year if he accomplishes nothing again.

No, I don't think he would survive another losing season. The problem I see is if he lucks out on a 6 or 7 win season with no real progress, he'll likely be back. My expectations are bare minimum 7 wins and we look like a well coached team. If Frost can't even meet those basic expectations by year 4, he shouldn't be coaching here.

No, I don't think he would survive another losing season. The problem I see is if he lucks out on a 6 or 7 win season with no real progress, he'll likely be back. My expectations are bare minimum 7 wins and we look like a well coached team. If Frost can't even meet those basic expectations by year 4, he shouldn't be coaching here.

Agreed. It's Year 4. It will be his players and his team. Full accountability.

Reactions: oldjar07
We're not even close to the same boat Michigan is in. Michigan had some very good seasons under Harbaugh and came up just short of one or two great seasons. Frost has done absolutely nothing here. And no, he does not deserve a 5th year if he accomplishes nothing again.
When it comes to firing the player as the head coach it is when their dream hirer hasn’t won a game against Ohio St and still not accomplishing that never has one a division title..

This will be his 7th year.
Who will be the next hire?

This is exactly where I am at.

I can give you a lot of valid reasons why we should have expected some significant struggles early on given the situation he took over and the program stability he was facing in West and overrall inexperience on his staff. Then deal with Covid and no spring and non con to better prep the new receivers Fr llineman in a year a believe the staff thought they would turn a corner.

Those are all gone in 2021. Staff has had three years of on the Job Training in the Big Ten and should no exactly what it takes to win in this league. Most everyone they need is in the second year of program and they get a full winter, spring and fall with the few new guys they are counting on plus three very winnable games to work out the kinks to start season

- The OL, DL, and ML that will play are all in at least 3 year of S&C with exception of Corcoran so we need to be holding our own physically at LOS or something is wrong there.
- Roster has big ten players and depth at all positions with some very high end athletes (particularly by West standards) sprinkled through out.
- Walk-on program has matured over last three years and has bolstered numbers providing practice depth and even guys that may be able to help you on Saturday such as Hixson, Yant, Faulk, Miller, Noudini, Feist, Reimers and now seeing a kid like Sanford test as well as CTB.

There is quite literally no reason this is not a competitive football team in 2021 that wins games unless this staff, is in fact, not good.

I am personally kind of hoping it either works and we turn corner in 2021 or it doesn't work at all and implodes and we start over. Limping through a 6-6 season with a bunch of poor play, turnovers and a couple beat downs sprinkled in and then knowing that you are stuck with at least one more season of roughly same players and coaching would be brutal.

When it comes to firing the player as the head coach it is when their dream hirer hasn’t won a game against Ohio St and still not accomplishing that never has one a division title..

This will be his 7th year.
Who will be the next hire?

comparing Frost at Neb to Harbaugh at Michigan is laughable

one is 34-16 in big ten play - 68% -- the other is 9-17 - 34%
one has been ranked 4 of 6 years -- the other has never been ranked
one has a top ten finish in the nation -- the other can barely finish top 10 in the conference
one has gone to a bowl including a new years 6 bowl 5 of 6 years -- the other dreams of a bowl

one fan base expects elite seasons -- the other fan base going into year 4 is just hoping for 6 wins and a bowl

one program expects to beat their rival -- the other focuses on trying to get out of playing an historic rival altogether

one fanbase can be described as Michigan fans -- the other fanbase is better described as Frost fans

Reactions: SWIowahawks

I can give you a lot of valid reasons why we should have expected some significant struggles early on given the situation he took over and the program stability he was facing in West and overrall inexperience on his staff. Then deal with Covid and no spring and non con to better prep the new receivers Fr llineman in a year a believe the staff thought they would turn a corner.

Those are all gone in 2021. Staff has had three years of on the Job Training in the Big Ten and should no exactly what it takes to win in this league. Most everyone they need is in the second year of program and they get a full winter, spring and fall with the few new guys they are counting on plus three very winnable games to work out the kinks to start season

- The OL, DL, and ML that will play are all in at least 3 year of S&C with exception of Corcoran so we need to be holding our own physically at LOS or something is wrong there.
- Roster has big ten players and depth at all positions with some very high end athletes (particularly by West standards) sprinkled through out.
- Walk-on program has matured over last three years and has bolstered numbers providing practice depth and even guys that may be able to help you on Saturday such as Hixson, Yant, Faulk, Miller, Noudini, Feist, Reimers and now seeing a kid like Sanford test as well as CTB.

There is quite literally no reason this is not a competitive football team in 2021 that wins games unless this staff, is in fact, not good.

I am personally kind of hoping it either works and we turn corner in 2021 or it doesn't work at all and implodes and we start over. Limping through a 6-6 season with a bunch of poor play, turnovers and a couple beat downs sprinkled in and then knowing that you are stuck with at least one more season of roughly same players and coaching would be brutal.
Couldn't of said it any better

First of all why listen to the fan base? These so called N fans are the same fans who wanted Tom Osborne gone, got rid of Frank Solich and can't blame anyone but the people who hired Riley. Callahan and Pelini just not a good fit for a HC position.
Now to answer your question. It will be tough if N has another losing season but in my opinion. You hold onto Frost.
Take the chance things turn around whether it year 5 or year 10.
Keep replacing a Head Coach hurts almost as bad as hiring the wrong HC.
My opinion. I feel Frost turns it around.
Thats all I'm going to say.

Now to answer your question. It will be tough if N has another losing season but in my opinion. You hold onto Frost.
Take the chance things turn around whether it year 5 or year 10.
Keep replacing a Head Coach hurts almost as bad as hiring the wrong HC.
My opinion. I feel Frost turns it around.
Thats all I'm going to say.
Year 10??

• Haha
Reactions: mavsker
The money absolutely has something to do with it. It's always about the money. Without the money Frost would have never come back to Nebraska. The buyout and length of the contract was all about making it cost prohibitive for NU to fire Frost. You are right in that we're going to sink or swim with Frost because I don't see the kind of boosters in tow that we would need to fire Frost AND turn around and hire a quality head coach. No doubt Tom had something to do with that. Multiple guys who played for Tom and weren't necessarily contemporaries or buddies of Frost had said when we fired Riley that it was going to be a 5 year rebuild.

Reactions: BigTimeFan75

I could give you one reason why NU could struggle this year. QB. IMO we have to have consistently better QB play. IF for some reason AM can't get it done this year we could have problems and IMO we don't have a guy who is a ready to be a viable option yet other than AM.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
comparing Frost at Neb to Harbaugh at Michigan is laughable

one is 34-16 in big ten play - 68% -- the other is 9-17 - 34%
one has been ranked 4 of 6 years -- the other has never been ranked
one has a top ten finish in the nation -- the other can barely finish top 10 in the conference
one has gone to a bowl including a new years 6 bowl 5 of 6 years -- the other dreams of a bowl

one fan base expects elite seasons -- the other fan base going into year 4 is just hoping for 6 wins and a bowl

one program expects to beat their rival -- the other focuses on trying to get out of playing an historic rival altogether

one fanbase can be described as Michigan fans -- the other fanbase is better described as Frost fans
No it isn't.

What you don't get is Jim was brought in to beat OSU and NEVER lose to MSU. How has that been going?

Nebraska has no "big game" in the conference yet.

Michigan fans, most of them, hate Jim and their problem is they also hate what will happen when he is gone. That is why they pretend they are the Harvard of the midwes (They are not, that is Northwestern and U of Chicago)t and that they can't get the same players in that OSU can.

Michigan fans are literally hoping for two years each season. Two. OSU and MSU.

So here’s where things stand six years in under Jim Harbaugh: 0-5 against Ohio State, 3-3 against Michigan State, 1-4 in bowl games, and 1-8 against top 10 teams.

Last edited:
I could give you one reason why NU could struggle this year. QB. IMO we have to have consistently better QB play. IF for some reason AM can't get it done this year we could have problems and IMO we don't have a guy who is a ready to be a viable option yet other than AM.

Its a valid point. I am less concerned wit Martinez performance if he stays healthy as I think Freshman year is the floor with the group of players he has around him and that will get us close to 8 games. injury is a real possibility with the QB run game though and I don't think it would turn out well if he misses any games and Haarberg or Masker have to play much in meaningful situations.

Unfortunate that QB room does not include a reasonable competitor for Martinez in year 4.

Do I think he deserves it? Heck no.

But I think it will take less than 4 wins for anyone with a say to push for a move.

Frost will get a 5th year, barring a 1 or 2 win type of disastrous season.

However, I'm not sure Bill Moos survives another losing season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT