ADVERTISEMENT

Irresistible Mickey meets Immovable Nebraska

Pretty much spot on especially about the offensive line but more like the tackles resemble the doors on a old West salon and their ability to tackle is suspect..

I still have that S.I issue before the game of the century..

Nothing groundbreaking here, but still a pretty interesting read. I'm pulling for Mickey to make chicken salad out of this, but it's going to be tough.

The article from Pernell about Patterson and Leipold is pretty good. It does a good job of discussing the pros and cons of Leipold. I don't think Patterson is an option unless it's as a highly paid DC.

Last edited:
Who’s time is it???

bev-mickeys.png

I have said this before; if a new coach comes in, they need to begin where MJ began 4 games ago... Does the university have that time to rebuild? MJ will be 8-9 games into the rebuilding process. I think MJ is wise enough to bring in a mentor of sorts to help in the learning curve of the admin part of the job, to strengthen his weakness...

MJ has begun the rebuilding process and the players have bought in. He has recruited a game changer and has sent offers to prospects that are needed to plug holes. He is showing his vision for the future with anchors he inherited holding him back. Imagine what a staff of little MJ's would look like. This staff would have one of the premier recruiters in the nation leading the recruiting process.

Unless the new coach wins instantly with his vision, the university might be stepping back in time and trying to catch up with the past, again.

Good read. It's interesting that an outside voice sees the very same things we in the middle of the forest do.

"There may be 150 guys on the roster, but development has been shockingly nonexistent for years."

That's probably the most shocking thing to me. Crap... Frost played during a time when NU followed their own blueprint for player development. We excelled at that. It's as if nothing was learned from Frost's playing time.

Oh well...

Good read. It's interesting that an outside voice sees the very same things we in the middle of the forest do.

"There may be 150 guys on the roster, but development has been shockingly nonexistent for years."

That's probably the most shocking thing to me. Crap... Frost played during a time when NU followed their own blueprint for player development. We excelled at that. It's as if nothing was learned from Frost's playing time.

Oh well...
Good article. Earlier I alluded to the overall roster size. 150 just seems to be so outdated.

Roster sizes in the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc are set for a reason. They play to win games, there are no participation ribbons to be had. Jobs and livelihoods are on the line, may the best man and the best team win.

Growing up, we all know what the procedure was, and it is likely changed in the days of participation ribbons, everybody gets something for trying and we damn sure don't want to hurt their self-esteem.

Back in the day, middle school/jr high/high school kids tried out for teams. They did their workouts for a couple of weeks, then some cuts were made. Another couple of weeks, and more cuts. Another week or two and the roster is posted. These are the team members the coach selected. Period.

Mistakes were made, and little Johnnie and little Susie were upset for getting passed over. Mom and Dad got pissed and eventually, life went on.

Making difficult decisions like this are reasons why Nick Saban makes $10M+ per year, it is about winning and money. It's not about do or die for dear old Directional Jr. High.

Nobody wants to be the hatchet man when it comes to ending the dream of an athlete, but sometimes that athlete moves on and prospers in a setting that is more closely related to his or her skill level.

I have no say so, just doing my typical Friday rant prior to another Husker weekend.

Even back in the old days when TO and the Huskers were on top of the world, it was not unusual for NU to blow somebody out 63-0. After the game, TO would sometimes say "we played 105 kids today." "A lot of these plays were not designed to work, but they did."

In modern football, these kids can play 4 games and then redshirt.

"...We played 105 kids today." I never heard him say we played 150 kids today.

Good article. Earlier I alluded to the overall roster size. 150 just seems to be so outdated.

Roster sizes in the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc are set for a reason. They play to win games, there are no participation ribbons to be had. Jobs and livelihoods are on the line, may the best man and the best team win.

Growing up, we all know what the procedure was, and it is likely changed in the days of participation ribbons, everybody gets something for trying and we damn sure don't want to hurt their self-esteem.

Back in the day, middle school/jr high/high school kids tried out for teams. They did their workouts for a couple of weeks, then some cuts were made. Another couple of weeks, and more cuts. Another week or two and the roster is posted. These are the team members the coach selected. Period.

Mistakes were made, and little Johnnie and little Susie were upset for getting passed over. Mom and Dad got pissed and eventually, life went on.

Making difficult decisions like this are reasons why Nick Saban makes $10M+ per year, it is about winning and money. It's not about do or die for dear old Directional Jr. High.

Nobody wants to be the hatchet man when it comes to ending the dream of an athlete, but sometimes that athlete moves on and prospers in a setting that is more closely related to his or her skill level.

I have no say so, just doing my typical Friday rant prior to another Husker weekend.

Even back in the old days when TO and the Huskers were on top of the world, it was not unusual for NU to blow somebody out 63-0. After the game, TO would sometimes say "we played 105 kids today." "A lot of these plays were not designed to work, but they did."

In modern football, these kids can play 4 games and then redshirt.

"...We played 105 kids today." I never heard him say we played 150 kids today.
I had some walk on friends who only got to suit up for an occasional home game back in the 70s

Do they still make the Big Mouth bottles? May have emptied a few of those back when I was stupid.
My profile image is actually staring down a widemouth Mickey’s 40oz.
I haven’t seen one for a while, but I’ve also tipped a few back in my time.

If things somehow workout where he lands the gig and becomes successful, I’ll be sure to claim credit for being on the forefront of predicting years ago what was written in the stars, thanks to my interest in beer themed artsy pics.

My profile image is actually staring down a widemouth Mickey’s 40oz.
I haven’t seen one for a while, but I’ve also tipped a few back in my time.

If things somehow workout where he lands the gig and becomes successful, I’ll be sure to claim credit for being on the forefront of predicting years ago what was written in the stars, thanks to my interest in beer themed artsy pics.
I have long wondered what your pic was

my best guess before this post - some jungle frog's eye? lol

Oh well...
I think he knew how, he just didn’t care enough to implement it (or even show up for that matter)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT