ADVERTISEMENT

Ironically, we could learn from KSU.

And yet Riley was better than Frost. Just imagine how quickly this can be fixed if we hire the right guy
Start by firing Duvall. And Ruud, and Dawson, and upgrade the OL coach with someone proven.

Look at Martinez. Slimmed down, quick, been coached to not be afraid to throw swing passes, and even a few downfield throws.

He's a product of a much better strength and conditioning program, a QB coach who won't allow him to just take off running. Has made him play within the scope of the little guy running the ball, throwing by design, and scrambling when necessary.

It all points to the absolutely LOUSY overall program NU has alllowed itself to become.

A high quality head coach who actually has a plan can begin an upgrade of this program and begin a rebuild project. There are so many areas NU is lacking, it has to be systematic beginning with the strength program and an actual identity on offense.

NU has miles and miles to go.

KSU holds there own....but really has nothing to show for it.

Just the way it is.
Oh, I don’t know. Their fans actually have something to watch on Saturday. It’s not a guaranteed punch in the balls every game. There are kids in school that weren’t born the last time we played in a bowl game. Yep, I’m jealous of KSU.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Reading comprehension is an issue on this board.

I am only saying that there are things we could learn from them. Since 2000 our teams usually crap their pants almost every time they come up against Texas and Oklahoma, and KSU—despite more disadvantages than even us—actually finds ways to win.

Our program is a whiny excuse machine that just throws money around stupidly.
Well considering we don’t play OU or UT I don’t care. What is their record against Big Ten or SEC teams.

My reading comprehension is just fine. I just don’t agree with your premise. I am not interested in being mediocre

Well considering we don’t play OU or UT I don’t care. What is their record against Big Ten or SEC teams.

My reading comprehension is just fine. I just don’t agree with your premise. I am not interested in being mediocre
Not arguing with you at all. But I am interested in being mediocre on the way to being good. As opposed to being the worst team in P5.

Look at Martinez. Slimmed down, quick, been coached to not be afraid to throw swing passes, and even a few downfield throws.

He's a product of a much better strength and conditioning program, a QB coach who won't allow him to just take off running. Has made him play within the scope of the little guy running the ball, throwing by design, and scrambling when necessary.

It all points to the absolutely LOUSY overall program NU has alllowed itself to become.

A high quality head coach who actually has a plan can begin an upgrade of this program and begin a rebuild project. There are so many areas NU is lacking, it has to be systematic beginning with the strength program and an actual identity on offense.

NU has miles and miles to go.
I’m not sure S&C is the difference in AM. Girlfriend’s working him hard. His head seemed to be right last night for a change too.

Not arguing with you at all. But I am interested in being mediocre on the way to being good. As opposed to being the worst team in P5.
Agree. But you have to find someone that can get you past mediocre and not a guy whose ceiling is mediocre. That is why I want a coach that has coached at a program that has those expectations.

We can learn how to lower our expectations?

Does kstate even pretend like they are ever going to win a championship?

Agree. But you have to find someone that can get you past mediocre and not a guy whose ceiling is mediocre. That is why I want a coach that has coached at a program that has those expectations.

What realistic candidates would meet that expectation? Kiffin? Aranada? BOB? Ruhle?

Does kstate even pretend like they are ever going to win a championship?

No, they are content with being OU's kryptonite and pretending that game is the National Championship every year. It doesn't matter who is coaching OU, Bob Stoops, Lincoln Riley or Brent Venables. Every K-State quarterback looks like a Heisman trophy contender when they play against OU. It's been that way for years.

Reactions: Jaemekon
Kansas State isn’t a recruiting powerhouse, but their teams play with a chip on their shoulder and expect to win big games. Their records against Texas and Oklahoma are very impressive in light of their disparities in recruiting and resources.

Since 2000 our teams just seemed resigned to lose their big games, often in humiliating fashion.

Recruiting is obviously important, but a competent coach who expects to win could turn things around quickly.
This may be due in part to Bill Snyder and his legacy

Reactions: BleedRed78
Oh, I don’t know. Their fans actually have something to watch on Saturday. It’s not a guaranteed punch in the balls every game. There are kids in school that weren’t born the last time we played in a bowl game. Yep, I’m jealous of KSU.
Too bad for you.

Can’t stand KSU - they’re just like Wisconsin and Iowa to me…can’t stand any of them. But all three of those teams are well coached. Pretty much every week.

And, all three have provided a roadmap for Nebraska. Ironically, all three probably followed the Nebraska roadmap from T.O. years. In any case - have good olines, all tackle, all have good special teams. None of those things require an army of 4 and 5 star recruits.

They require good coaches.

Reactions: BleedRed78 and c3o
Neither does KSU, and yet they are competitive. That’s my point. We basically plan to lose those games and KSU plans to win.
Got your point. WE know what we need. WE'VE seen what it takes for successful football.

Unfortunately, imo, I've seen the ivory tower that is NU athletic dept become lazy and entitled over the years. Used to be people all pulling in one direction trying to BE the best. Once we got there, how bloated and lazy they've gotten. I've seen too many embarrassed to be a CORNHUSKER ( opting for Huskers because cornhusker is too rural and backwards etc) . Embrace what we are and dont try to be what we aren't.

We went for west coast offense rather than power football. Not saying we have to go back to I formation option football (I've gotta wipe my self I started salivating thinking of fullback!!!). But we went away from TOUGHNESS for finesse. Our o lines have never been the same.

I'll get off my soapbox and get my cream of wheat.

I wouldn’t normally do this for just anybody, but I like you guys. I’m gonna give you a little advice. Quit going for the home run hire. Charlie wise is not out there. Hire a coach that creates a culture and develops players with a winning attitude. Liepold would be a home run higher for you guys. If KU can go from the dumpster fire that it was to winning four games then you guys can do it too. I’m pulling for you. Remember, culture.

They took our qb who couldn’t get it done who lost to Tulane and he looked like a Heisman contender and won.
How about we stop trying to be others and focus on ourselves and be ourselves. We have plenty of problems there to worry about.
All Klineman wanted him to do the 2 games before was to just manage those games and even though they lost to Tulane, that is a powerful teaching tool and then yesterday they let him loose on OU and he managed that game extremely well. This is fact and truth. Look at what a decent OL will do for you and proves that our OL was the cause of most of his mistakes while here which I was right everytime I said it. I said before the season he's gonna go off at K State as he has a very good OL. Now he's done something there that he wasn't able to do here as 1 Beat OU and 2 beat a top 10 ranked team which he actually destroyed which was ranked top 10 as well in total defense.

All Klineman wanted him to do the 2 games before was to just manage those games and even though they lost to Tulane, that is a powerful teaching tool and then yesterday they let him loose on OU and he managed that game extremely well. This is fact and truth. Look at what a decent OL will do for you and proves that our OL was the cause of most of his mistakes while here which I was right everytime I said it. I said before the season he's gonna go off at K State as he has a very good OL. Now he's done something there that he wasn't able to do here as 1 Beat OU and 2 beat a top 10 ranked team which he actually destroyed which was ranked top 10 as well in total defense.
You mean Kleimann is a better coach than Frost? That’s crazy talk.

Reactions: Wyldcard
Being former selves means strong defense, mobile qb, and run-focused offense with a strong walk on program. We also need someone able to recruit Florida, Texas, and the Northeast in addition to midwest.

We need to shed the sad, timid, pathetic selves be became.
Yup need to recruit the South but that is not easy. Different climate, different culture and having a losing program for years does not help.

I wouldn’t normally do this for just anybody, but I like you guys. I’m gonna give you a little advice. Quit going for the home run hire. Charlie wise is not out there. Hire a coach that creates a culture and develops players with a winning attitude. Liepold would be a home run higher for you guys. If KU can go from the dumpster fire that it was to winning four games then you guys can do it too. I’m pulling for you. Remember, culture.
I agree. However, our athletic department has been a disorganized mess for over two decades, so I am not optimistic. They waste lots of money without any sound, consistent picture of what they want.

Congrats on your win last night. Good luck the rest of the way.

Kansas State is usually fundamentally sound. It was a joke of a program before Bill Snyder took over. I would compare Kansas State to Wisconsin. Wisconsin jumps up every few years to upset a Michigan, Ohio State, or LSU. Never have enough high end talent to win a National Title though. That's only gonna get tougher with the playoffs expanding.

Congrats to Kansas State. That wasn't a fluke win.

It's never a fluke when Kansas State beats Oklahoma. K-State has won 3 out of the last 4 meetings, 5 of the last 11, and 11 of the last 25.
The less talented squad usually can't outscore the favorite. The key to winning is to shorten the game. Guys like Riley and Frost tried to air it out, or as Frost said at his introductory conference " Change the way the B1G plays, make them adapt.". How many times did Nebraska play bully ball?

Can you post last weeks big win video?

• Sad
Reactions: HugeCat
Can you post last weeks big win video?
I got to admit Klieman loses some head scratchers. Everybody is used to Bill Snyder never losing games that we were supposed to lose, but very seldom winning games that we weren’t supposed to win. Klieman has pulled off more wins against top 10 teams as an underdog then Snyder ever did. But he has laid some stinkers, Arkansas State, Tulane. I’m sure there are some others. His record against Iowa State, West Virginia, Oklahoma State, his not very good.

My point is that a coach that can identify and develop 5 heart try hard talent with a winning culture combined with the resources & tradition of Nebraska, Would work better than a big name coach competing with Ohio State and Michigan for the five star talent. Texas used to be prime recruiting territory for you guys and now it’s not. I don’t know where your recruiting territory is to be honest

Reactions: thall_
I got to admit Klieman loses some head scratchers. Everybody is used to Bill Snyder never losing games that we were supposed to lose, but very seldom winning games that we weren’t supposed to win. Klieman has pulled off more wins against top 10 teams as an underdog then Snyder ever did. But he has laid some stinkers, Arkansas State, Tulane. I’m sure there are some others. His record against Iowa State, West Virginia, Oklahoma State, his not very good.

My point is that a coach that can identify and develop 5 heart try hard talent with a winning culture combined with the resources & tradition of Nebraska, Would work better than a big name coach competing with Ohio State and Michigan for the five star talent. Texas used to be prime recruiting territory for you guys and now it’s not. I don’t know where your recruiting territory is to be honest
Big name coaches are big name coaches because they are able to attract the top talent and have a recruiting plan. Nebraska's issue has been our head coaches recently have been recruiting nightmares. Nebraska would get elite talent with a good coach. A winning culture is fine, and so is good coaching, but you aren't going to win many trophies without dudes.

I like Klieman. Good solid coach that is going to win a number of games, but I just don't see him winning anything of significance, but I don't think your fan base at the end of the day gives a shit about that. 8 to 9 wins and a solid mid-tier bowl will be just fine.

Neither do we, which is part of the problem. It varies from coach to coach on our never ending hire-fire cycle.

The midwest is obviously key, and in the past we have had greats come from New Jersey, California, Florida, etc.

I would LOVE to have the backyard pool of talent that Texas enjoys.

Reactions: dinglefritz
FdC5RjZagAI7C1f

Under Klieman??? That's like saying we've played in National Title games. We aren't anywhere close to competing for National Titles and either are you. Teams that play for titles have elite talent. You don't.
Please stop putting N in K-State's class. The past two Saturdays proved the folly of that v. OU.

I was actually using your theories. Why you're so mad at K-State is beyond me?
I don't care about K-State. I just find it comical how you and others continue to come over here and beat your chest anytime something good happens. Like I said, good for Adrian, he is a great athlete, but he's no longer a Husker. No need to keep this dumb thread going and it'll be interesting when Tulane Adrian shows up if you are over here pumping up how great KSU is and how Nebraska needs that culture. No we don't. We will never strive to be K-State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT