ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's Insidious, Racist Regime Covered by ESPN

Well food had to come up......

When asked a question about hearing about racism in his program, KF responds that "yesterday I heard complaints about scrambled eggs"

He has been asked several times about his son, won't say a word.

I will give him this, KF is a master at saying a lot without actually saying anything.
You’ve always been level headed and much appreciated but you couldn’t be more wrong about the Iowa media on this. You should follow Pat Harty, Chad Leistekow, or the biggest villain Rob Howe on Twitter. Marc Moorehouse is another that’s been very outspoken against Kirk.

You’ve always been level headed and much appreciated but you couldn’t be more wrong about the Iowa media on this. You should follow Pat Harty, Chad Leistekow, or the biggest villain Rob Howe on Twitter. Marc Moorehouse is another that’s been very outspoken against Kirk.

Only in Iowa are the reporters giving these young black athletes a voice the "biggest villain."

An unacceptable racist regime out there in Iowa City or Davenport or wherever the hell that backwater is.

Reactions: iclone and headcard
Their are plenty of Power 5 who don’t allow players to dress on game day like they were part of the Decker Street Bloods.

There have been a couple. But by large, most of the Iowa media is pretty soft on Iowa football.

Lol, the vast majority of black players past and present love KF and want him to stay. Of course you don’t know that, because the Iowa media.

In the Husch Blackwell report, some current players (45 in total were interviewed) “expressed skepticism and cautioned that it is hard to truly change culture and that for change to be permanent, it must come from Ferentz and go ‘down the line.'"

Further, the report said other players “worried that the changes are not genuine, and the coaches are just covering their tracks.”

One more current player had concern that the changes wouldn't last because (the report said) "players have raised concerns with Ferentz in the past and, because he did not do anything at the time, the program may be waiting for things to blow over before they revert back” to past tendencies.

I don't think Iowa or any organization for that matter, is out of line to expect their players or employees to act and dress like a professional, and when people say that is a racist thing I say that is why that word just doesn't mean anything anymore.
I somewhat agree, but there is a line and these athletes are not professionals and should not be held to that standard....

I somewhat agree, but there is a line and these athletes are not professionals and should not be held to that standard....

Disagree, 100% These kids are entering the real world when they accept a scholly to a P5 football program and Iowa is doing them a favor by placing expectations on them, and the reason why some kids have a problem with it is because for the first time, they have expectations placed on them and are held accountable. That's a good thing.

Disagree, 100% These kids are entering the real world when they accept a scholly to a P5 football program and Iowa is doing them a favor by placing expectations on them, and the reason why some kids have a problem with it is because for the first time, they have expectations placed on them and are held accountable. That's a good thing.
Expectations are great, but there’s a line...if you don’t want dreadlocks, cornrows and tattoos, don’t recruit those kids....expecting kids to behave a certain way versus expecting them to all dress and look a certain way is different....the Iowa regime singled kids out based on color according to the report, that is not ok....

Reactions: headcard
I don't think Iowa or any organization for that matter, is out of line to expect their players or employees to act and dress like a professional, and when people say that is a racist thing I say that is why that word just doesn't mean anything anymore.
Sure. But calling kids "Deker Street Bloods" is pretty dam out of line.

Sure. But calling kids "Deker Street Bloods" is pretty dam out of line.

My son, when he was 15...started a "gang" with his neighborhood buds and called themselves the West Omaha Whities. Still cracks me up...

...and if Decker Street Bloods trighers somebody I'll just have to roll my eyss.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Only in Iowa are the reporters giving these young black athletes a voice the "biggest villain."

An unacceptable racist regime out there in Iowa City or Davenport or wherever the hell that backwater is.

such a good point. I’ve never heard this much hate towards these Iowa reporters, maybe Howe, but all of the sudden iowa’s favorite reporter(Morehouse who is very good at his job) is a villain to Iowa fans. It is very interesting living over here and watching how Iowa fans react. Very similar to Penn State fans ALTHOUGH the allegations are VERY VERY different, but very same fan reaction.

such a good point. I’ve never heard this much hate towards these Iowa reporters, maybe Howe, but all of the sudden iowa’s favorite reporter(Morehouse who is very good at his job) is a villain to Iowa fans. It is very interesting living over here and watching how Iowa fans react. Very similar to Penn State fans ALTHOUGH the allegations are VERY VERY different, but very same fan reaction.
Moorehouse came out last week and said he has known about these allegations for years yet has written glowing reports about Doyle, Ferentz, and Iowa football during those years. You don’t think a “journalist” should be called out for either lying now or being bad at his job of reporting those allegations?

You don’t think Howe should get all the crap he has gotten with siding with Robert T Green and players with sketchy pasts? Writing articles that make ESPN headline shows without fact checking and just taking a drug dealers word for it? The DJK article was taken off the website he worked for but the headlines still made national attention. That’s not journalism.

I’m glad Kirk is being taken to task and I sent getting asked tough questions, but I’m smart enough to see through the dishonest parts. Unfortunately, those dishonest parts are the ones that make the most noise.

Reactions: Flick2.0
Moorehouse came out last week and said he has known about these allegations for years yet has written glowing reports about Doyle, Ferentz, and Iowa football during those years. You don’t think a “journalist” should be called out for either lying now or being bad at his job of reporting those allegations?

You don’t think Howe should get all the crap he has gotten with siding with Robert T Green and players with sketchy pasts? Writing articles that make ESPN headline shows without fact checking and just taking a drug dealers word for it? The DJK article was taken off the website he worked for but the headlines still made national attention. That’s not journalism.

I’m glad Kirk is being taken to task and I sent getting asked tough questions, but I’m smart enough to see through the dishonest parts. Unfortunately, those dishonest parts are the ones that make the most noise.

I know you’re not a smart guy but they aren’t “villains” because of giving black athletes voices. Giving former drug dealers, thieves, money motivated black athletes bigger voices than the guys with good motives isn’t journalism. It’s click baiting. They drown out the legit claims and legit change with stuff that is obviously agenda driven. There are soooooo many details that never see the light of day because they don’t fan the flames.

My son, when he was 15...started a "gang" with his neighborhood buds and called themselves the West Omaha Whities. Still cracks me up...

...and if Decker Street Bloods trighers somebody I'll just have to roll my eyss.
Funny, if calling someone a blood offended them, I would probably stop doing it.

This is the reason you hear a lot of NFL GM's talk about how they like taking Iowa guys. They basically have already weeded out the people that don't want to work hard and handle themselves responsibly for them. Of course they have to be able to play a little too.

This is the reason you hear a lot of NFL GM's talk about how they like taking Iowa guys. They basically have already weeded out the people that don't want to work hard and handle themselves responsibly for them. Of course they have to be able to play a little too.
Lol...the NFL takes the best players available...did Doyle really tell NFL GMs Kittle wasn’t NFL material?

"Black players said success within the program hinged on assimilating to The Iowa Way, a reference to the program's "smart, tough, physical" motto.

"Iowa culture is -- and we saw it on the wall every day -- smart, tough, physical, disciplined, hard-nosed, put your nose to the grindstone and work, be early, and many more," said Tyler Kluver, a former Iowa long-snapper who is white and hosts the "Washed Up Walkons" podcast. "Those are the pillars of Iowa culture."

But The Iowa Way, as many Black players describe it, also meant conforming to a white football culture and suppressing their own, whether it be their hairstyle or how they spoke or dressed."

This was a quote fro. the story, and I am sure this is going to ruffle some feathers on both sides.

1. This sounds like Peter brothers mentality.
2. Nebraska "was" this under Osborne
3. There is a difference between racism and work ethic

As I watch this world unfold I see both sides. I 100% believe that there is bigotry and racism all over the place and we do just turn the other cheek. I see finger pointing going on every day like there is a fix.

My question to people on this board is how many kids have left our program prematurely recently (since the Frost era [Only using this time frame for easier statistics]), and how many were black vs white? I am not going to go back and get the stats on that as I write this, but I know for damn sure it was a hell of a lot of 4* athletes. A lot of them were black, and came from somewhere other than Nebraska. You don't think Frost preaches "smart, tough, physical, disciplined, hard-nosed, put your nose to the grindstone and work" type of football? I am pretty sure I have heard every 90's player come out and say that is what they were. Didn't Frost come from that mentality?

So I am not going to sit here and bash Iowa for teaching hard nose football to kids. Why, because we do the same thing and I am sure Saban, Meyer ect... do the same thing. Is it racist, or is it setting an example? I personally think it is setting an example of what it takes to succeed in life.

At the beginning of the article it said the one guy had to run with a yellow bucket on his head for being late. To me that had nothing to do with being racist. It was showing the kid that on Iowa's football team being late is unacceptable. That being late in life means you are going to lose. That if you want to win at life work hard and be on time, then next time you won't need to run with a bucket on your head.

Now on to the other side...

Why do these guys say "They didn't/wouldn't do this to the white kids". That is where I do see a fault. If anyone is late, you make them run with some embarrassment. You can't pick and choose who you think needs to be punished in an embarrassing way.

The racism starts when you judge someone by the way they look. It continues when you hold someone to a different standard by where they came from and how they act. Then it ends when you treat people equally and hold everyone to the same standard.

I think people need to be what was quoted on Iowa's wall to succeed in this world. I also believe that you can't make someone they are not. So what it boils down to is life is about choices. If "smart, tough, physical" is not your mentality going into college football, maybe it isn't for you.

I've got to get ready for work right now so I am ironically not late. I would love to continue on, on this topic.
It's BS. And I fear the same BS will come Nebraska's way before long if we all jump on the "Iowa bashing for fun" bandwagon. The Iowa program and university as a whole are light-years from racist and always have been. Guys like Tristan Wirfs have developed into first round picks as African Americans. There are some programs in different states that have fewer African Americans as a whole that have different cultures than what many of those players came from or are now told they should expect. Soon we'll hear the military academies are racist because they take the conformance principles to an even higher level.

No program is safe from this. The racism card is easy to throw around and carries lots of weight, yet takes very little proof. The slightest comment viewed out of context and suddenly you are a racist.

Is asking players to work hard, be on time, be respectful, follow all the team rules and be professional in appearance solely "Midwestern White Player" traits? If that is the case, it's that part of a much larger problem?

No program is safe from this. The racism card is easy to throw around and carries lots of weight, yet takes very little proof. The slightest comment viewed out of context and suddenly you are a racist.

Is asking players to work hard, be on time, be respectful, follow all the team rules and be professional in appearance solely "Midwestern White Player" traits? If that is the case, it's that part of a much larger problem?
Amen. And I think all those bending over backward to appease and conciliate over these perceived 'racist' cultural norms need to wake the heck up.

Seeing Iowa fans try to spin and frame this into the above narrative is hilarious.

The answer to all this lies somewhere in the middle.

Some people said inappropriate and probably racist things.

Some players are babies playing the victim card.

KF is not a racist, nor is he ok with racism. KF will be safe from this, as he should be.
Hmmm. Seems logical. Defending white coach though.....? You could be a racist

Reactions: SkerInCo
I happen to agree with it
Well it is complete and utter nonsense. Threatening to send kids back to the ghetto, making a kid wear around a trash can, etc is a far cry from simply promoting respectful and professional behavior. Trying to spin that kind of behavior as a positive thing is BS.

Well it is complete and utter nonsense. Threatening to send kids back to the ghetto, making a kid wear around a trash can, etc is a far cry from simply promoting respectful and professional behavior. Trying to spin that kind of behavior as a positive thing is BS.

What? You never had to wear the ole trash can on the head and run around the office in front of everybody as a punishment for being late? That is the hallmark of a quite serious and professional organization.

It was back to the streets not ghetto, btw the same coach told small town Iowa kids back to the farm. It wasn’t said in a racially meant tone but more of a point of reference.

It was back to the streets not ghetto, btw the same coach told small town Iowa kids back to the farm. It wasn’t said in a racially meant tone but more of a point of reference.
No it was ghetto and it was multiple players, it has been linked in here many times. But justify whatever you like, to me that is not simply demanding professionalism.

What? You never had to wear the ole trash can on the head and run around the office in front of everybody as a punishment for being late? That is the hallmark of a quite serious and professional organization.

Putting a trash can over ones head is not racist either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT