ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's Insidious, Racist Regime Covered by ESPN

The part you highlighted is exactly my question?

But The Iowa Way, as many Black players describe it, also meant conforming to a white football culture and suppressing their own, whether it be their hairstyle or how they spoke or dressed.

Right there in red it says that it also meant conforming to "White" football culture. They are referring to what was written on the wall about being tough, smart ect... Look you are arguing with a guy (me) that probably agrees with about 99% of what you do. I just don't think hard work and embarrassment in front of you peers for punishment is racism. If it was only done to the black athletes, that is a whole different story.

No way in hell you are going to tell me that quote on their wall means "White football culture"? From what I see in red says the black athletes feel that way. This is the way I interpret it... if you want to play football in college you need to become a man. One that knows the meaning working hard for something that you want and doing whatever you can to get it. It has nothing to do with racism

Perhaps it is the way the article is written that is confusing people. As I alluded to above, I would not be surprised in the least if this was intentionally done as this is what the mainstream media loves to do these days: create divisive content and narratives. Judging by the interpretation of many in this thread, they succeeded.

But I would still be interested to read or hear any former black Iowa athlete say they thought hard work, toughness, and/or being smart were specifically racist. Those tenets are the backbone of ANY good football program at any level, not just Iowa's. The key in the statement you put in red is that in addition to those tenets, they were expected to "act white" and that has nothing to do with working hard, being disciplined, tough, etc.

If this was any other program in the country KF would have been fired by now. Iowa won't do it or will wait until they have so much public pressure they have no other option. The reason they are digging their feet in and not firing him is because they know once he is gone, they are done as far as being a decent program. He is the most successful coach in their history. They hit a once in a lifetime jackpot and odds are they won't find another. So they are doing everything they can to protect and keep KF.
I agree they had hoped getting rid of the Strength coach and KF coming out about making changes, would be enough. In the past yes that would have been enough. Not in the times we are living in now. Heads must roll to satisfy the masses. Im saying this as someone who thinks the accusations are being blown way out of proportion and that he shouldn't be fired. Again little things are blown up nowadays and and you are guilty until proven innocent. So I will be surprised if KF makes it much longer.

From the pieces I have heard concerning this story, I still haven’t any compelling evidence that said KF has done anything wrong. I’m sure every program is tough on their athletes in hopes of development as players and young men. They should still be in touch with each player’s emotional status. Is it wrong to have a rule against jewelry and tattoos? Doesn’t much businesses have that rule? Doesn’t organizations like the Yankees have that rule? College football is a business...it’s what drives most of their decisions.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Is it wrong to have a rule against jewelry and tattoos? Doesn’t much businesses have that rule? Doesn’t organizations like the Yankees have that rule?
0LApTzyrV2sqXXUWYVKdPoSENrM=.gif

I can't help but reference The Simpsons.

Read the bolded part again. That was a white kid saying what Iowa perceives its culture to be. Show me where ANY black player said they had a problem with working hard, being smart, tough, disciplined, etc. The very next sentence clarifies where the problem exists. The Iowa coaches had a staunchly racist view of how the black players should carry themselves.

You're taking mainstream media talking points and injecting them into this specific instance of tremendous racial injustice at the University of Iowa, headed by Ku Klux Kirk Ferentz.

Read the bolded part again. That was a white kid saying what Iowa perceives its culture to be. Show me where ANY black player said they had a problem with working hard, being smart, tough, disciplined, etc. The very next sentence clarifies where the problem exists. The Iowa coaches had a staunchly racist view of how the black players should carry themselves.

You're taking mainstream media talking points and injecting them into this specific instance of tremendous racial injustice at the University of Iowa, headed by Ku Klux Kirk Ferentz.

“The Iowa coaches had a staunchly racist view of how the black players should carry themselves.”
Every professional organization I have worked with has very similar rules on conducting yourself and appearance policies. Are they all racist?

“The Iowa coaches had a staunchly racist view of how the black players should carry themselves.”
Every professional organization I have worked with has very similar rules on conducting yourself and appearance policies. Are they all racist?

This is the New-McCarthyism. Kids should have realized the culture at Iowa and realized they didn’t fit the mold. Anyone can be cold a racist now of days and society will assume that person is racist without any real proof.

From the pieces I have heard concerning this story, I still haven’t any compelling evidence that said KF has done anything wrong. I’m sure every program is tough on their athletes in hopes of development as players and young men. They should still be in touch with each player’s emotional status. Is it wrong to have a rule against jewelry and tattoos? Doesn’t much businesses have that rule? Doesn’t organizations like the Yankees have that rule? College football is a business...it’s what drives most of their decisions.
Seriously? Nothing wrong?

"Black players said success within the program hinged on assimilating to The Iowa Way, a reference to the program's "smart, tough, physical" motto.

"Iowa culture is -- and we saw it on the wall every day -- smart, tough, physical, disciplined, hard-nosed, put your nose to the grindstone and work, be early, and many more," said Tyler Kluver, a former Iowa long-snapper who is white and hosts the "Washed Up Walkons" podcast. "Those are the pillars of Iowa culture."

But The Iowa Way, as many Black players describe it, also meant conforming to a white football culture and suppressing their own, whether it be their hairstyle or how they spoke or dressed."

This was a quote fro. the story, and I am sure this is going to ruffle some feathers on both sides.

1. This sounds like Peter brothers mentality.
2. Nebraska "was" this under Osborne
3. There is a difference between racism and work ethic

As I watch this world unfold I see both sides. I 100% believe that there is bigotry and racism all over the place and we do just turn the other cheek. I see finger pointing going on every day like there is a fix.

My question to people on this board is how many kids have left our program prematurely recently (since the Frost era [Only using this time frame for easier statistics]), and how many were black vs white? I am not going to go back and get the stats on that as I write this, but I know for damn sure it was a hell of a lot of 4* athletes. A lot of them were black, and came from somewhere other than Nebraska. You don't think Frost preaches "smart, tough, physical, disciplined, hard-nosed, put your nose to the grindstone and work" type of football? I am pretty sure I have heard every 90's player come out and say that is what they were. Didn't Frost come from that mentality?

So I am not going to sit here and bash Iowa for teaching hard nose football to kids. Why, because we do the same thing and I am sure Saban, Meyer ect... do the same thing. Is it racist, or is it setting an example? I personally think it is setting an example of what it takes to succeed in life.

At the beginning of the article it said the one guy had to run with a yellow bucket on his head for being late. To me that had nothing to do with being racist. It was showing the kid that on Iowa's football team being late is unacceptable. That being late in life means you are going to lose. That if you want to win at life work hard and be on time, then next time you won't need to run with a bucket on your head.

Now on to the other side...

Why do these guys say "They didn't/wouldn't do this to the white kids". That is where I do see a fault. If anyone is late, you make them run with some embarrassment. You can't pick and choose who you think needs to be punished in an embarrassing way.

The racism starts when you judge someone by the way they look. It continues when you hold someone to a different standard by where they came from and how they act. Then it ends when you treat people equally and hold everyone to the same standard.

I think people need to be what was quoted on Iowa's wall to succeed in this world. I also believe that you can't make someone they are not. So what it boils down to is life is about choices. If "smart, tough, physical" is not your mentality going into college football, maybe it isn't for you.

I've got to get ready for work right now so I am ironically not late. I would love to continue on, on this topic.
I think you have some misconceptions about who TO is what his program was like. TO was a master of psychology and deeply cared about ALL his players. It was nothing like this Iowa nonsense. It was real expectations and accountability, without all the task master power control, little man syndrome BS.

I think Doyle had a little too much leeway within the program to ruin kid's careers that he didn't like or didn't do what he wanted. I don't think they were necessarily racist but just had a high accountability in their program. I have heard military-like. A lot of kids from bad homes (most happen to be black in sports) haven't had to conform to rules in their life prior to D1 football and it was probably a shock and a huge adjustment.

The thing Iowa could have done a better job with is recognizing they had an issue with black payers and attrition. This is something they could have worked on and done a better job at understanding some of the issues.

Despite hating to lose our fb matchups and genuine animosity between the fanbases, most nebraska posters are being fair and seemingly recognize that there’s a decency line not worth crossing even if it means getting free swings at a hated foe. Hope to beat you bastards in the fall though :)

Yes - having to wear a suit and tie is racist.

Despite hating to lose our fb matchups and genuine animosity between the fanbases, most nebraska posters are being fair and seemingly recognize that there’s a decency line not worth crossing even if it means getting free swings at a hated foe. Hope to beat you bastards in the fall though :)
Lol......Iowa fans are and always have been the most intellectually dishonest fan base in college football....I love to watch your fan base have to let go of the “Iowa way” now that the “Iowa way” involves racism...

and I agree. I haven't seen much of anything come out the screams racists. More so just a bunch of punks not like being told what to do. But again, in today's America anybody makes a racist claim said person is automatically guilty and should be fired. This is what I meant when I said any other program and KF would be gone. Not that I think he is guilty but that most programs would have caved to the mop already and fired the HC. Iowa hasn't mainly because they don't want to lose KF and spin their program into the abyss of BIG10 bottom feeder.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
He could still get cancelled depending on what the investigation shows.

I honestly don't care what it shows...I've had it up to my neck with the blatant double standards on this stuff. Until the cancel culture starts policing their own offenders, I don't want to hear it.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Where are the comments about the graduation rate? Who is responsible for that?

People are looking for the utopia of anti anything these days - and it does not exist. It just provides more excuses and reasons to complain. As if we don't have enough already.

People are looking for the utopia of anti anything these days - and it does not exist. It just provides more excuses and reasons to complain. As if we don't have enough already.
“Where are the comments about the graduation rate? Who is responsible for that?”
Shouldn’t that be the student’s responsibility?

Reactions: Flick2.0

Well...probably the kids that are going to class right?

Well...probably the kids that are going to class right?

If the kids are responsible, what the purpose of putting the stats in the article? Who does this reflect poorly on? How does this factor into the race debate?

Last edited:
I am referring to only what I quoted "Osborne way" meaning "smart, tough, physical, disciplined, hard-nosed, put your nose to the grindstone and work". It bothers me that black athletes see that as racist. I would like to know from a former black athlete why that quote means "White football player" and not just "Football player"?
That quote is racist because it is focused towards all the Asian student athletes who are disproportionately represented in college football...wait...what...never mind.

Last edited:
I am referring to only what I quoted "Osborne way" meaning "smart, tough, physical, disciplined, hard-nosed, put your nose to the grindstone and work". It bothers me that black athletes see that as racist. I would like to know from a former black athlete why that quote means "White football player" and not just "Football player"?

That isn't the part they are calling racist. it was being forced to walk, talk, and dress like you were white, and only listen to white music while with the team.

That isn't the part they are calling racist. it was being forced to walk, talk, and dress like you were white, and only listen to white music while with the team.
that's a shame. They should have been able to listen to Jimi Hendrix or Bob Marley. ;)
0ac793c2cdb84ad524e1913e2fe364bb.gif

Doesn’t every professional organization do all those things? Heck, they even control which channels are appropriate for my office television. I had no idea that they were just racist

Doesn’t every professional organization do all those things? Heck, they even control which channels are appropriate for my office television. I had no idea that they were just racist

The military does, but **** Iowa. Why do you watch television at work?

What is white culture? That seems slippery or racist? See how that works ?
What is so negative about black culture, that you have to force a round peg in a square hole? You saw plenty of flamboyant, march to his own drum types in Lincoln, white and black, and there never seemed to be a racial divide that I observed.

No, that must be because you aren't able to discern that yourself. Laughing

What is so negative about black culture, that you have to force a round peg in a square hole? You saw plenty of flamboyant, march to his own drum types in Lincoln, white and black, and there never seemed to be a racial divide that I observed.

Nothing. We are a country of individuals. We should be free to be an individual.

ADVERTISEMENT