ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

big red22

Offensive Coordinator
Dec 15, 2003
My least favorite fan base in all of College Football is Iowa, and a close second is Texas. So please don't burn me at the stake after saying this!

In my opinion they should be ranked ahead of Stanford in the polls. They are undefeated and beat Northwestern 40-10. Stanford lost to them 16-6. Iowa also has a better record.

I would really like them to be a Top 5 team when they come rolling high into Lincoln. It will make beating them feel that much better!!!

Have you ever been to a game between us? You clearly have not. They are very civil and very friendly. Are you going by message board posters? If so, that is a horrible way to judge fans. Horrible.

Nebraska is civil with everyone for the most part at the game. Went to a game at Kinnick, and it wasn't real civil. Also besides Missouri, Iowa might be the most delusional fans in the nation. There are some great fans on their side, but some of it cracks me up. NU fans are koolaid drinkers, but Iowa takes it to a whole new level.

Well, I guess its easy to make stuff up. Not sure how we have a reputation of being some of the best fans in the BIG 10, per BIG 10 folks, yet abuse the Husker fans that show up. Cause if we were going to be uncivil to anyone, it would be Wisconsin. Humm. Any who, no worries.

Have you ever been to a game between us? You clearly have not. They are very civil and very friendly. Are you going by message board posters? If so, that is a horrible way to judge fans. Horrible.
No I work for the State of Iowa

Well, I guess its easy to make stuff up. Not sure how we have a reputation of being some of the best fans in the BIG 10, per BIG 10 folks, yet abuse the Husker fans that show up. Cause if we were going to be uncivil to anyone, it would be Wisconsin. Humm. Any who, no worries.

I have honestly never heard this.

My least favorite fan base in all of College Football is Iowa, and a close second is Texas. So please don't burn me at the stake after saying this!

In my opinion they should be ranked ahead of Stanford in the polls. They are undefeated and beat Northwestern 40-10. Stanford lost to them 16-6. Iowa also has a better record.

I would really like them to be a Top 5 team when they come rolling high into Lincoln. It will make beating them feel that much better!!!

You must not have been around for the Colorado fans in the 1990-2000 ear or even the Mizzou fans in the early 2000's, they were brutal.

Reactions: huskerbux
I have honestly never heard this.

Go to a national board then.

I was jumped and beating unconscious at a game in Lincoln. While a crowd of people stood around and cheered, telling the mob attacking me to and I quote, "Kick him in the face some more."

See how easy that was.

I was jumped and beating unconscious at a game in Lincoln. While a crowd of people stood around and cheered, telling the mob attacking me to and I quote, "Kick him in the face some more."

See how easy that was.
?????????

Since I have never heard that Iowa has the best fans in the B1G, you make up a story about being jumped in Lincoln??Strange.

?????????

Since I have never heard that Iowa has the best fans in the B1G, you make up a story about being jumped in Lincoln??Strange.

I was proving a point. Anyone can say they were treated poorly. Anyone.

I have actually enjoyed the tailgating with Nebraska fans. Our family from Lincoln came back and loved it. Didn't have a bad word to say. But maybe it did happen. I don't know. All I know is that there were hundreds of Cornhuskers tailgating with us and I didn't see anything. And I didn't see anything in the stadium and I was sitting by a large section of them. Didn't see anything 3 years ago either.

Iowa fans are very happy big red took MSU down they have been ripe for the picking for weeks .A very poor secondary ,no running game and the loss of Narduzzi is just coming home to roost . A win over what turned out to be a very average Oregon and the miracle at Mich gave them an overrated rank. They have always dominated with D and no Narduzzi is hurting the best part of their usual game. .

Iowa fans are very happy big red took MSU down they have been ripe for the picking for weeks .A very poor secondary ,no running game and the loss of Narduzzi is just coming home to roost . A win over what turned out to be a very average Oregon and the miracle at Mich gave them an overrated rank. They have always dominated with D and no Narduzzi is hurting the best part of their usual game. .

Very well said. You cant be a championship team without defense and running the ball. They haven't done either this season. If they thought they were going to pass their way to a NC, they were mistaken.

Plus, Nebraska just recruits a type of athlete that matches up well with MSU. Since joining the conference, the MSU vs Nebraska games have been by far the best games.

Reactions: GaRed
And your point?
My point is very simple... Iowa Football fans are all over the state. They aren't just at Kinnick Stadium? They spout off any time Nebraska is not doing good, and they did well before we were in the Big 10.

Hawkit3113, just like every fan base you have good ones and bad ones. Most Iowa fans I have encountered are not knowledgeable about football in general and they enjoy Nebraska losing more than Iowa winning.

I am disgusted by how idiotic some of the statements are that come out of their mouths. So I have my opinion based on my experiences "Iowa fans are my least favorite". This is not a direct stab at you!

My point is very simple... Iowa Football fans are all over the state. They aren't just at Kinnick Stadium? They spout off any time Nebraska is not doing good, and they did well before we were in the Big 10.

Hawkit3113, just like every fan base you have good ones and bad ones. Most Iowa fans I have encountered are not knowledgeable about football in general and they enjoy Nebraska losing more than Iowa winning.

I am disgusted by how idiotic some of the statements that come out of their mouths. So I have my opinion based on my experiences "Iowa fans are my least favorite". This is not a direct stab at you!

I am sorry that you had a bad experience. Generally we do a good job of policing our own. And yes, the Iowa fans out West seem to have more of a hatred for Nebraska. Probably because you guys all live together out there.

I stopped a young college kid one time who was acting like a jackass to a Michigan fan, and end up hitting a guy who was really giving a Wisconsin fan a hard time. I guess it does happen, but from my experience it has been great. Nebraska and Iowa fans are virtually the same people. Or at least we seem to value a lot of the same things. Its a football game and not life or death. And the majority of us get that.

Claiming Iowa fans are not football knowledgeable is just plain idiotic . I assume the premise is reversed when it comes to BB and wrestling. I have news for you every fan base thinks they are knowledgable but it is impossible to prove if your only contact is a message board. I would dare to say less then 1% of 1% of the general population is on these boards . We are not the norm..

Claiming Iowa fans are not football knowledgeable is just plain idiotic . I assume the premise is reversed when it comes to BB and wrestling. I have news for you every fan base thinks they are knowledgable but it is impossible to prove if your only contact is a message board. I would dare to say less then 1% of 1% of the general population is on these boards . We are not the norm..
Yes, I'm going to be a D*** to you for this comment.

First... You are proving my point, because you obviously didn't read my posts! My claim is not based on message board postings.

"I WORK FOR THE STATE OF IOWA" That is where I receive the idiotic comments and claims! No I have never been to Kinnick, nor do I ever plan too! I don't want to be put in jail for doing something I shouldn't, and the only time I get to the point of doing that is when I have been drinking and a opposing fan says just the right thing to set me off!

Read before you claim what I say is idiotic! I work with a s*** ton of Iowa fans, and all I've been hearing all day is about how we didn't really win the game on Saturday. They keep going and going about it, and it is just proof that they are exactly what I say they are!

Nothing in this post is going change my mind, I dislike your fan base! End of Story!

First... You are proving my point, because you obviously didn't read my posts! My claim is not based on message board postings.

"I WORK FOR THE STATE OF IOWA" That is where I get the idiot comment and claims! No I have never been to Kinnick, nor do I ever plan too! I don't want to be put in jail for doing something I shouldn't, and the only time I get to the point of doing that is when I have been drinking and a opposing fan says just the right thing to set me off!

Read before you claim what I say is idiotic! I work with a s*** ton of Iowa fan, and all I've been hearing all day is about how we didn't really win the game on Saturday. They keep going and going about it, and it is just proof that they are exactly what I say they are!

Nothing in this post is going change my mind, I dislike your fan base! End of Story!

Geez man. Based on your post, I would say its more you than them. You seem angry.

Geez man. Based on your post, I would say its more you than them. You seem angry.
I am angry!

I hate when people call my posts idiotic, and even more so when they claim it is idiotic, bacause of something I never did... which is "Base my opinion on message board posts!"

I am angry!

I hate when people call my posts idiotic, and even more so when they claim it is idiotic, bacause of something I never did... which is "Base my opinion on message board posts!"

tumblr_mlrp7nnfq31r4gei2o1_500.gif

I'm going to be a D*** to you for this comment.

State govt employees are typical stupid a$$hats that couldn't find a job in the private sector.

Also sounds like you should be attending some sort of anger management type class, I am sure the state has a good insurance program that can help you out here. The people of Iowa thank you for your service and your superior football knowledge, this state would probably be a wreck without you.

Go Hawks.
Looks like someone is the new hotshot at their friend's real estate company.

Nope...I am part of a Huge Multi-National Entertainment Conglomerate. Maybe you have heard of us:

image.jpg
Oh, you like Step Brothers. That's endearing. Do you incessantly quote that movie to all your friends and annoy the living sh** out of them, too?

Am I the only person that has NOT been "treated poorly" by opposing fans? I think some of you guys are either ultra-sensitive or are looking to be offended. I have been to tons of Husker home games and never had one opposing team fan say anything negative and I have been to 5 or 6 Husker road games and hit the bars and tailgating and never had one thing said to me that was negative or hurt my feelings.

I have been to 15? or so Husker games and as a lifelong Hawkeye fan, about 50 games in Iowa City. I have zero ill will towards Husker fans. If they're not playing Iowa, I will cheer for the Huskers every game. Here is an honest appraisal of both fan bases, written as more of a Hawkeye fan than Husker fan.

Remember these statements will be general. It doesn't apply to every single fan in each fanbase.

1.) Husker fans are definitely more intelligent than Hawkeye fans, in general, when it comes to football. Husker fans understand the little things of the game more than Hawkeye fans, due to watching such better football over the last 50 years. It's similar to Iowa wrestling fans vs. other fanbases. We're more knowledgeable due to the product we've been able to watch all these years.

2.) Husker fans are FAR MORE serious about their team's success than Iowa fans. This one's not even close. Iowa firing a coach that went 67-27? No way. Nebraska fans are pretty much about winning and winning only. Everyone is raving about Mike Riley's personality and how it fits the university so much better than Pelini. If Riley doesn't win more than eight games in either of the next two years, he won't be around. We all know that.

3.) Husker fans are more loyal, but not by the margin most Husker fans think about. Iowa fans have always brought big numbers, even when they're not very good. Over the last 40 years, Iowa brings more fans to road games than any other fanbase on an annual basis in the conference outside of Nebraska and Ohio St. Michigan St. and Wisconsin have brought a lot in the last five years, but when their team struggles, they drop much more rapidly than Iowa fans. Iowa brings fans even when we suck.

4.) Husker fans enjoy the day if and only if Nebraska wins. Iowa fans have fun even if the team gets beat. I was at the BYU game earlier this year and the mood walking out was somber/worried about the defense. There was little to no conversation when walking out. People were not happy. If that had happened in Iowa City, most fans would have been laughing with frustration, not worried about the defense. There would not be near the hard feelings about the result.

5.) Husker fans (remember, this is in general, not everybody) don't go for the entire gameday experience, and by that I mean tailgating and hanging out with friends. Husker fans go there for the game itself. Quite a few make the drive, get out of their car, walk to the stadium, go to the game, are intense while at the game, then walk back to their car and head home. That doesn't happen in Iowa City. Approximately 90% of the crowd at Memorial Stadium live within an hour or two of the stadium. In Iowa City, about 90% of the crowd live at least an hour away from the stadium and their entire 24-hour day is shot by going to the game. Night and day different. Iowa fans go to tailgate and hang out with friends. The game is just a part of the routine. It's the not whole reason for going. So if Iowa loses? Hey! Relax, and have a drink. Winning isn't everything. That wouldn't fly in Lincoln:)

6.) Both fanbases, overall, have great fans. A few Husker fans got spoiled by their 40 year run of success and now think they are entitled to great football. But both fanbases are some of the best. Husker fans are nice in general and so are Iowa fans. Each fanbase have their idiots...Iowa probably at a higher rate during the games, due to their alcohol consumption. With that said, if Nebraska wins in Iowa City, the average Hawkeye fan would still invite the husker fan to hang out and have a beer with them as they tailgate for a couple of hours afterwards. Nebraska fans would be bitter about the loss and not want to talk about it, as they sit in their cars in traffic. No one is right and no one is wrong. Each fanbase deals with it their own way.

Just some subtle observations over the years.

THE HERMENATOR

I have been to 15? or so Husker games and as a lifelong Hawkeye fan, about 50 games in Iowa City. I have zero ill will towards Husker fans. If they're not playing Iowa, I will cheer for the Huskers every game. Here is an honest appraisal of both fan bases, written as more of a Hawkeye fan than Husker fan.

Remember these statements will be general. It doesn't apply to every single fan in each fanbase.

1.) Husker fans are definitely more intelligent than Hawkeye fans, in general, when it comes to football. Husker fans understand the little things of the game more than Hawkeye fans, due to watching such better football over the last 50 years. It's similar to Iowa wrestling fans vs. other fanbases. We're more knowledgeable due to the product we've been able to watch all these years.

2.) Husker fans are FAR MORE serious about their team's success than Iowa fans. This one's not even close. Iowa firing a coach that went 67-27? No way. Nebraska fans are pretty much about winning and winning only. Everyone is raving about Mike Riley's personality and how it fits the university so much better than Pelini. If Riley doesn't win more than eight games in either of the next two years, he won't be around. We all know that.

3.) Husker fans are more loyal, but not by the margin most Husker fans think about. Iowa fans have always brought big numbers, even when they're not very good. Over the last 40 years, Iowa brings more fans to road games than any other fanbase on an annual basis in the conference outside of Nebraska and Ohio St. Michigan St. and Wisconsin have brought a lot in the last five years, but when their team struggles, they drop much more rapidly than Iowa fans. Iowa brings fans even when we suck.

4.) Husker fans enjoy the day if and only if Nebraska wins. Iowa fans have fun even if the team gets beat. I was at the BYU game earlier this year and the mood walking out was somber/worried about the defense. There was little to no conversation when walking out. People were not happy. If that had happened in Iowa City, most fans would have been laughing with frustration, not worried about the defense. There would not be near the hard feelings about the result.

5.) Husker fans (remember, this is in general, not everybody) don't go for the entire gameday experience, and by that I mean tailgating and hanging out with friends. Husker fans go there for the game itself. Quite a few make the drive, get out of their car, walk to the stadium, go to the game, are intense while at the game, then walk back to their car and head home. That doesn't happen in Iowa City. Approximately 90% of the crowd at Memorial Stadium live within an hour or two of the stadium. In Iowa City, about 90% of the crowd live at least an hour away from the stadium and their entire 24-hour day is shot by going to the game. Night and day different. Iowa fans go to tailgate and hang out with friends. The game is just a part of the routine. It's the not whole reason for going. So if Iowa loses? Hey! Relax, and have a drink. Winning isn't everything. That wouldn't fly in Lincoln:)

6.) Both fanbases, overall, have great fans. A few Husker fans got spoiled by their 40 year run of success and now think they are entitled to great football. But both fanbases are some of the best. Husker fans are nice in general and so are Iowa fans. Each fanbase have their idiots...Iowa probably at a higher rate during the games, due to their alcohol consumption. With that said, if Nebraska wins in Iowa City, the average Hawkeye fan would still invite the husker fan to hang out and have a beer with them as they tailgate for a couple of hours afterwards. Nebraska fans would be bitter about the loss and not want to talk about it, as they sit in their cars in traffic. No one is right and no one is wrong. Each fanbase deals with it their own way.

THE HERMENATOR

Great post Hermenator. I think you are spot on with basically everything you said. Good stuff

THE HERMENATOR
You forgot one very important nugget. For the 46 years I've been a Husker fan, Iowa fan has been by far and away the most envious/bitter fan base in dealing with Husker football success. Iowa fan can not understand how a state that is even more rural than Iowa can be a football juggernaut...it drives them absolutely insane!

Last edited:
You forgot one very important nugget. For the 46 years I've been a Husker fan, Iowa fan has been by far and away the most envious/bitter fan base in dealing with Husker football success. Iowa fan can not understand how a state that is even more rural than Iowa can be a football juggernaut...it drives them absolutely insane!
I think your right when speaking about Iowa fan within 40 miles of the Missouri River, if you get east of Atlantic Iowa to the Mississippi River they absolutely could careless about Nebraska or Nebraska football.

Iowa fans are generally fine. But they are some of the most "band wagon" fans I've ever seen. Just review their ticket sales over the past 10 years for proof. Just last year many wanted the head of their coach on a stick.

Oh, well! GBR!

Reactions: leodisflowers

See how easy that was.

I also got jumped in Lincoln. By three Oklahoma fans. The only other person there was my girlfriend.
She found a brick and hit them upside the head while they were piling on me.
She got me upside the head too. But I wasn't mad about it.

This has something to do with Iowa, but she went full wild woman.
That was a great night

Last edited:
Reactions: LuckyNed

"I WORK FOR THE STATE OF IOWA" That is where I receive the idiotic comments and claims! No I have never been to Kinnick, nor do I ever plan too! I don't want to be put in jail for doing something I shouldn't, and the only time I get to the point of doing that is when I have been drinking and a opposing fan says just the right thing to set me off!

Read before you claim what I say is idiotic! I work with a s*** ton of Iowa fans, and all I've been hearing all day is about how we didn't really win the game on Saturday. They keep going and going about it, and it is just proof that they are exactly what I say they are!

Haters are going to hate! ;)

I am disgusted by how idiotic some of the statements are that come out of their mouths. So I have my opinion based on my experiences "Iowa fans are my least favorite". This is not a direct stab at you!

Well, you work in let me say it "IOWA", of course there are going to be Iowa football fans all over in the state. It goes both ways, I work and live in Nebraska and they "spout off" any time Iowa is not doing good, always have. I guess it's part of the deal.

Iowa fans are generally fine. But they are some of the most "band wagon" fans I've ever seen. Just review their ticket sales over the past 10 years for proof. Just last year many wanted the head of their coach on a stick.

Oh, well! GBR!

That is every fan base, especially with how last year went and the "staleness" of things. You can't tell me if Riley has another six loss season next year that Nebraska fans wont want him fired?

ADVERTISEMENT