ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

This thing keeps showing up in Iowa City all the time. I thought Jesus Frost was never going to lose to Iowa?
565dd001d0ac5.image.jpg

We are going to beat you by 14 next year.

Wow simply wow Nebraska is simply a 1 trick pony with football being the end all discussion 24/7 whereas Iowa is the total sports package. You see Iowa fan looks at athletics from the big picture view, as opposed to the only 1 sport matters mentality, knowing we pretty much dominate Nebraska in athletics (volleyball aside) makes us a confident bunch.

The type of statement one makes when they've never been there!

He is a troll, pure and simple, and terrible at it.

Seriously, he hasn’t posted a single thing of value, worse than all other Iowa posters here. When Kaz said he banned a few, I was hoping this was one of the banned.

He’s that pathetic.

I just as soon have them lock threads when they get out of hand instead of banning them we don’t need our moods having to defend the program when we’re a capable...

There’s plenty Iowa fan can post without being banned. It baffles me that they think they can post their typical Iowa homeboard BS over here and get away with it. Their typical weak big8 versus strong big ten stuff especially. That BS has been debunked with stats and facts on multiple occasions, yet they still use it as an argument.

Reactions: timnsun
There’s plenty Iowa fan can post without being banned. It baffles me that they think they can post their typical Iowa homeboard BS over here and get away with it. Their typical weak big8 versus strong big ten stuff especially. That BS has been debunked with stats and facts on multiple occasions, yet they still use it as an argument.

I believe I addressed that over there and was cordial with my truthful facts on different occasions..

Historically Nebraska has the better FB program by a wide margin, I would never dispute that fact, however in the men’s sports overall Iowa has been very successful against Nebraska.

I have new material for my sig. Thanks.

I mean..... you used the word "hardware", not me. So when I ask for a list one of your brothers throws up the Heroes Trophy. That's it???? J-F-C man, you think if Frost wins the Iowa game next year we're gonna throw a parade with a "mission accomplished" banner? The fact that dude is so clueless that he really thinks that trophy is hardware is too pathetic to even laugh at. Just one more piece of evidence as to why you guys have had the same average coach and average program for 20 years. Get a clue.

BTW Brad, don't think I didn't notice that you didn't even have the balls to respond to my request for a list of "hardware". Even you know it's a blank sheet of paper.

I’m not even going to try and catch myself up on this crap. I’m sure that’s all it is too and 13-14 pages worth of it. Something about Iowa SUCKeyes gets brought up on a HUSKER board, A HUSKER BOARD MIND YOU and the obsessed Iowa Suckeye trolls that live on our Husker board come running. Heaven for bid Iowa gets looked down on by a Husker on a Husker board. How dare a hated rival speaks down on another hated rival on there own board. I’d understand if it was said on a Iowa board but it’s a Husker board. Jeez. Doesn’t matter if it’s legit, 100% true or not, this is OUR board and we can and will say what we want about your crap, garbage team and there small time Head Coach.

There, I said my part and shook the tree ;)

This thing keeps showing up in Iowa City all the time. I thought Jesus Frost was never going to lose to Iowa?
565dd001d0ac5.image.jpg

You know what's REALLY funny and pathetic about this photo? The Iowa football program had a special presentstion podium built specifically for the Floyd of Rosedale trophy, or whatever the hell that meaningless trophy is called. That is priceless. Notice also the amount of vacant space in that trophy case that has been filled with small thin gold bars as a backdrop to make it look more full than it is.

Year 1 of Frost...Iowa wins in Year 19 of Ferentz...with a last-second FG...at home...with mostly players Frost didn't recruit. The comical thing about this is that Iowa fans know where this series is heading, and your team and fans can't do anything about it. They may as well change its name to the Nebraska Heroes trophy now.

I guess the Directors Cup and meaningful hardware in the football trophy case have shut these clowns up.

Iowa has the 39th rated recruiting class according to rivals. Is that an improvement over past years or about where they usually finish? I am too lazy to research this further since Iowa sucks and isn’t worth my time. But if somebody on here knows the answer I would be interested.

I ask simply because I can’t for the life of me figure out why Iowa fans stick with Ferentz. They have all the tools necessary to be a much better program. But they stand loyally behind Captain Boring.

I'm an Iowa fan chiming in.

Sorry I'm late to this thread - I was out drinkin'. :)

There is something to be said about history for both sides involved in this discussion.

For context:

Nebraska is tied with Notre Dame at 6th for all-time NCAA (FBS & FCS) football wins, behind Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Yale and Alabama.

Iowa is 61st, tied with Williams and Maryland.

Nebraska rightfully claims 5 national championships: 70, 71, 94, 95 & 97.

Iowa rightfully claims 1 national championship: 58.

Nebraska has won far, far more more consistently and on much bigger stages than Iowa has over time.

Facts are facts, so in my mind any fan who disparages or doubts the place that Nebraska holds in the college football world as a blue blood program is absolutely off their rocker. Nebraska has history, power, esteem and brand that Iowa simply doesn't match up to.

History is important.

Given the above, let's move on to the heart of the matter as I'll do my best to answer the OP's question re: why does Iowa put up with 8-4 Ferentz?

The answer is simple and obvious: Expectation vs. Hope.

I can understand why Iowa and Ferentz baffle Nebraska fans.

Nebraska is used to winning at a very, very high level and expects to get back to that.

Iowa is not used to winning at that high of a level and hopes to get there.

When you haven't done it (Iowa), you are going to hope for it more than expect it. You're less disappointed if it doesn't happen.

When you have done it (Nebraska), you are going to expect it more than hope for it. You're more disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Ferentz brings consistency to Iowa - we know what to expect in most years. It's not to Nebraska's standards, but it is to Iowa's.

Since Osborne retired in 1997, Nebraska has won a lot - but not to the level of what was expected. So, there was change and lots of it in order to build back to meeting expectations.

Solich (6 years: 58-19).

Callahan (4 years: 27-22).

Pelini (7 years: 66-27).

Riley (3 years: 19-19).

Frost (1 year: 4-8).

So, since the beginning of the 1998 season, Nebraska has won 174 games. And before the 1998 season, Nebraska had two coaches in 36 years: Osborne (25 years) and Devaney (11 years). I can't count how may games and titles they won. :)

And, since the beginning of the 1998 season (Fry's last), Iowa has won 155 games. And at the end of the 2018 season, Iowa has had two coaches in 40 years: Fry (20 years) and Ferentz (20 years). I don't want to count how many games they lost and titles they didn't win.

First and foremost, Iowa prides itself on consistency. They've found a model that works best for them and gives them hope.

And Nebraska prides itself on winning. They're moving to get back to the model that works best for them to meet expectations.

Iowa can take 7-5 and 8-4 in hope of a 9-3, 10-2 etc.

Nebraska looks at 9-3 or 10-2 and collectively says, "WTF!?"

Expectation vs. Hope.

Pretty simple.

Peace.

There is something to be said about history for both sides involved in this discussion.

For context:

Nebraska is tied with Notre Dame at 6th for all-time NCAA (FBS & FCS) football wins, behind Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Yale and Alabama.

Nebraska has won far, far more more consistently and on much bigger stages than Iowa has over time.

Facts are facts, so in my mind any fan who disparages or doubts the place that Nebraska holds in the college football world as a blue blood program is absolutely off their rocker. Nebraska has history, power, esteem and brand that Iowa simply doesn't match up to.

History is important.

Given the above, let's move on to the heart of the matter as I'll do my best to answer the OP's question re: why does Iowa put up with 8-4 Ferentz?

Nebraska is used to winning at a very, very high level and expects to get back to that.

When you haven't done it (Iowa), you are going to hope for it more than expect it. You're less disappointed if it doesn't happen.

When you have done it (Nebraska), you are going to expect it more than hope for it. You're more disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Ferentz brings consistency to Iowa - we know what to expect in most years. It's not to Nebraska's standards, but it is to Iowa's.

Since Osborne retired in 1997, Nebraska has won a lot - but not to the level of what was expected. So, there was change and lots of it in order to build back to meeting expectations.

So, since the beginning of the 1998 season, Nebraska has won 174 games. And before the 1998 season, Nebraska had two coaches in 36 years: Osborne (25 years) and Devaney (11 years). I can't count how may games and titles they won. :)

And, since the beginning of the 1998 season (Fry's last), Iowa has won 155 games. And at the end of the 2018 season, Iowa has had two coaches in 40 years: Fry (20 years) and Ferentz (20 years). I don't want to count how many games they lost and titles they didn't win.

First and foremost, Iowa prides itself on consistency. They've found a model that works best for them and gives them hope.

And Nebraska prides itself on winning. They're moving to get back to the model that works best for them to meet expectations.

Expectation vs. Hope.

Pretty simple.

Peace.
My gawd, after 13 completely stupid pages an Iowa fan actually has something meaningful to say. Congrats, and thank you. It's too bad these other morons constantly make your entire fan base look bad.

Keep up the drinkin ' and peace back at ya.

For context:

History is important.

Expectation vs. Hope.

Pretty simple.

Peace.
2nd best post ITT. Hard to compete with the one above. ;)

For context:

History is important.

Expectation vs. Hope.

Pretty simple.

Peace.

I’ll give credit were it’s due and this is definitely the best most quality post I seen per an Iowa fan when talking Huskers and/vs Iowa. I can see and agree on almost all of that. Callahan and Riley absolutely screw the pooch as head coaches for us. They gave us some of the worst records we have had in years. Frost has a 4-8 start for the Huskers and anyone who doesn’t look into it would say that’s a huge fail too. 4-8 is in no way a good thing or anything pound your chest about but if you actually look at this season and break it down like the experts are doing that are saying we (Huskers) are a top 25 team for next season.

We start off 0-6 and didn’t look good. Then Frost found what works and didn’t work and got the ship turned and we finished 4-2 and had a solid final 6 games (which everyone or anyone with a brain or knows football could see “Frost has these guys going now”) with a 5-6 point lose to OSUcks Buckeyes and a it took Iowa a last second field goal to beat us at Iowa. That’s a solid mid season turn around. We won’t see another 4-8 again, not with the talent Frost is bringing in and being a great developer himself. Thanks for the info and share.

Last edited:
Reactions: tyrusraymondcobb
I’ll give credit were it’s due and this is definitely the best most quality post I seen per an Iowa fan when talking Huskers and/vs Iowa. I can see and agree on almost all of that. Callahan and Riley absolutely screw the pooch as head coaches for us. They gave us some of the worst records we have had in years. Frost has a 4-8 start for the Huskers and anyone who doesn’t look into it would say that’s a huge fail too. 4-8 is in no way a good thing or anything poud your chest about but if you actually look at this season and break it down like the experts are doing that are saying we (Huskers) are a top 25 team for next season.

We start off 0-6 and didn’t look good. Then Frost found what works and didn’t work and got the ship turned and we finished 4-2 and had a solid final 6 games (which everyone or anyone with a brain or knows football could see “Frost has these guys going now”) with a 5-6 point lose to OSUcks Buckeyes and a it took Iowa a last second field goal to beat us at Iowa. That’s a solid mid season turn around. We won’t see another 4-8 again, not with the talent Frost is bringing in and being a great developer himself. Thanks for the info and share.

Thanks for the kind words.

I'll take your points on Callahan and Riley and state it a different way:

Even with the train wrecks that Callahan and Riley proved out to be (46-41), Nebraska still won 19 more games from 98 on than Iowa did.

Let that sink in.

I recognize good football when I see it, and I respect good programs when I see them.

Iowa will always do it's best to put a knot on your head, as we all know - yet there is a lot to look forward to out west of our fair state.

I'm probably going to be seen as a can short of a six pack, but I WANT Nebraska to be good - same as I WANT Iowa State to be good. Both are on our schedule and we need to compete with the best if we want our hopes realized in moving to the next level.

I don't like games that are pushovers, and the rewards that come from winning over good teams far outweigh the brief satisfaction and chest thumping that comes from an all-too-easy victory vs. a mismatched opponent, particularly in this day of the CFP.

No doubt Nebraska is going to rise, which they showed in the second half of the season and particularly @ Kinnick this year. And the rest of the West is going to have to rise as well.

I never fear an opponent. But always respect them.

Peace

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words.

I'll take your points on Callahan and Riley and state it a different way:

Even with the train wrecks that Callahan and Riley proved out to be (46-41), Nebraska still won 19 more games from 98 on than Iowa did.

Let that sink in.

I recognize good football when I see it, and I respect good programs when I see them.

Iowa will always do it's best to put a knot on your head, as we all know - yet there is a lot to look forward to out west of our fair state.

I'm probably going to be seen as a can short of a six pack, but I WANT Nebraska to be good - same as I WANT Iowa State to be good. Both are on our schedule and we need to compete with the best if we want our hopes realized in moving to the next level.

I don't like games that are pushovers, and the rewards that come from winning over good teams far outweigh the brief satisfaction and chest thumping that comes from an all-too-easy victory vs. a mismatched opponent, particularly in this day of the CFP.

No doubt Nebraska is going to rise, which they showed in the second half of the season and particularly @ Kinnick this year. And the rest of the West is going to have to rise as well.

I never fear an opponent. But always respect them.

Peace

Well, hate to lengthen this, but as a Northwestern fan I have to agree with this guy that I want all the teams in our division to improve (except maybe the Illini). A lot of guys on my own board would think I'm nuts for saying that, but wins are more satisfying to me when they're against good competition. That, and I'm getting damned tired of the smugness of Eastern Division fans. We need to start putting some wood to them. The "weak" West winning seven out of eight bowl games the past two years is a good start.

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
1. That's a lot of talent.
2. I'm glad I don't have daughters.

Your No. 2 is right on. When I was young I thought boys would be harder, but then I got married and had to help raise a good-looking stepdaughter. Boys were attracted to her like moths to a bright light, and there were a lot of them I definitely could have done without.

Reactions: mgbreis
Well, hate to lengthen this, but as a Northwestern fan I have to agree with this guy that I want all the teams in our division to improve (except maybe the Illini). A lot of guys on my own board would think I'm nuts for saying that, but wins are more satisfying to me when they're against good competition. That, and I'm getting damned tired of the smugness of Eastern Division fans. We need to start putting some wood to them. The "weak" West winning seven out of eight bowl games the past two years is a good start.

Just watch.

Nebraska is rising, and that rise is going to force the West teams to up their game as well.

Frost is respected relative to what he is putting together in Lincoln and his path and experience that led him back home.

So, he's upping the stakes. Which is great.

No doubt about it, there is good infrastructure and coaching placed in the West with most teams - Nebraska, Iowa, Purdue, Northwestern, Wisconsin...and PJ is working on Minny, and not certain (and somewhat confused) by Illinois.

I'm not sold on Ferentz and more so not on Christ (and Alvarez) as change agents - which is what will be required to keep up.

But, end of day, I agree that a high tide raises all boats and puts us all in a better position to succeed in a given year in the B1G Championship and beyond.

The West teams are built similarly but differently, if that makes sense.

We're at a natural disadvantage, recruiting wise. I read a stat that if you drew a 100 mile circle around Happy Valley that you would see a population of 75 million. Can anyone in the West claim that? Nope. So we have to work smarter and harder.

It's not like we have to like one another - but, we do need to come together through competition on and off the field in order to move things forward and tamp down the perception (and reality) of the East being the be all end all of the B1G. And, we have to win our share of the big games.

Just my opinion.

Peace.

It's a good point that DB makes. What Nebraska is trying to do, is pretty much completely at odds to how Iowa and Wisconsin play. So... Nebraska will have to be physical in addition to fast in order to be consistently successful against those teams, and Iowa and Wisconsin may have to up their athleticism and offensive philosophy to keep up with Nebraska. Should be good for all as it applies to being competitive with the east teams. In theory at least!

It's a good point that DB makes. What Nebraska is trying to do, is pretty much completely at odds to how Iowa and Wisconsin play. So... Nebraska will have to be physical in addition to fast in order to be consistently successful against those teams, and Iowa and Wisconsin may have to up their athleticism and offensive philosophy to keep up with Nebraska. Should be good for all as it applies to being competitive with the east teams. In theory at least!

It's possible to be successful with different styles. The most important thing is having players that fit into the style that you're using.

ADVERTISEMENT