ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa St Going for 2

Nov 28, 2016
Does that really make sense? Statistically do more teams win close games going for 2 or in overtime? Yeah if they got it then Iowa State coach looks like a genius but I think they had a better chance in OT

You All make valid points. I remember earlier in the season Mack Brown tried it against Clemson and it cost him. Ugh! But then again high risk / high reward.

Mathematically it makes sense. The more plays you play, the more likely the better team will get better results. It’s easier to win one play as an underdog than essentially start a new game in ot. The numbers say do it, it basically comes down to picking the right play.

And they were the underdog. I think there’s something about those red zone possessions in OT that really favors the more talented team.
I have always hated college OT - starting a drive on the opponent's 25 yard line is just too big a change from standard football. I'd rather they simply have no overtime or adopt the same rules the NFL has.

You All make valid points. I remember earlier in the season Mack Brown tried it against Clemson and it cost him. Ugh! But then again high risk / high reward.
I don't think Mack Brown made a bad decision going for two, but the play call was bizarre.

"We're not an option team in any way, shape or form, so let's run it with the game on the line! Element of surprise!"

Reactions: MUJoey
I have always hated college OT - starting a drive on the opponent's 25 yard line is just too big a change from standard football. I'd rather they simply have no overtime or adopt the same rules the NFL has.

Now, that is the first time I’ve heard someone say they prefer the NFL OT rules to college. To each their own. I don’t disagree about the 25 yard line comment however. I think college could move back to the 40 and it would be perfect. Make it so they have to move the ball to get into FG range. It’s like the idea of starting extra innings of baseball with a runner at 2nd.

Bad call. They had outscored em 20 to 0 in the fourth qtr. Take it to OT and keep doing it.
Once the call was made though Iowa State got absolutely screwed. There was blatant pass interference that went uncalled. Cue the "it's the BCS". Refs hosed Iowa State but that was probably predictable given OU's shot at a major bowl or maybe an outside shot at the CFB playoff.

Once the call was made though Iowa State got absolutely screwed. There was blatant pass interference that went uncalled. Cue the "it's the BCS". Refs hosed Iowa State but that was probably predictable given OU's shot at a major bowl or maybe an outside shot at the CFB playoff.

I'll have to rewatch. I didnt have a good view of it.

The pass was right on target, really should have been caught. Sooners got lucky.
It was on target but the DB had the receiver's left arm completely wrapped up well before the ball arrived. Would have been a really great catch under the circumstances.

Also looked like the QB didn't really step into the throw. So while the pass was on target it took a while to get there.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Bad call. They had outscored em 20 to 0 in the fourth qtr. Take it to OT and keep doing it.
I agree, I also believe that you take games to OT as well, the longer the better team has to play the more the pressure builds on them. Iowa State was not suppose to win whether it is in regulation or OT so extend the game as long as possible and see what happens.

They should’ve definitely kicked it.

I believe there was 24 seconds left & Okla had 2 or 3 timeouts left.

I was thinking if they tied it Okla might’ve kneeled & just went to OT.

If ISU would’ve got the 2 point Okla had the time to get in fg range.

They should’ve definitely kicked it.

I believe there was 24 seconds left & Okla had 2 or 3 timeouts left.

I was thinking if they tied it Okla might’ve kneeled & just went to OT.

If ISU would’ve got the 2 point Okla had the time to get in fg range.

I am not sure I understand the logic. If OU had time to get a FG, in your estimation, why would they sit on the ball if it is tied? There are too many variables in your hypothetical, regardless of whether they tied the game or went ahead, there was going to be a kickoff. What if the kick gets returned to the 35? What if the squib gives OU the ball at the 30 instead of the 25? You can't say that because there was 25 seconds left, they were going to take a knee.

I'll have to rewatch. I didnt have a good view of it.
One replay view made it obvious but the I think the official whose call it should have been didn't have the best view of it. Terrible no call for ISU. Underdog teams playing against upper ranked teams have no shot of getting a call at crunch time in P5 football it seems.

ISU coach was wrong in THAT situation. ISU had held OU to 7 points in the 2nd half and had scored the last two TDs. It was a high risk call with a QB that has really struggled in the 4th quarter of games this season... outside a few instances.

It was a "no vote of confidence" for his kicker and defense. Hence ISU is 5-4.

Ever since OT was implemented I've always thought going for it instead of tying is a bad call. There's no reason to show how massive your balls are and OT is psychologically better for the underdog

Reactions: MitchLL
After disappointing losses to OSU and Baylor... Campball was looking for a signature win this season.

He's still looking.

I would rather than not see a coach go for the win and practice what he preaches about playing aggressive and no fear of failure.

I think it shows that he had confidence in his offense because they had outscored OU decisively in the 2nd half, more than it was a lack of confidence in his defense or special teams.

ISU is 5-4, deep down, everyone in America thought they were going to be 5-4 after the OU game. There is nothing to lose by going for 2. Giving OU's offense more chances to score is a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Go for the win! Good call. Cyclones are impressive the past few years. Got a hell of a coach in Campbell. Not sure they will be able to keep him around.

**** the NFL. College OT is just fine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT