ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Nice: Dr. Tom and now Kirk Ferentz ...

Cedar Rapids, IA (CID) -- It was 44 years ago this season that I attended my first college football game in West Lafayette, IN. On Saturday, my brother and I celebrated our first football game together, with Senior Day at Kinnick with Iowa vs. Purdue. The previous week I had gone to Ames to watch Iowa State vs. Oklahoma State.

images

Welcome to the Big Ten ... it is now the fifth season for our Cornhuskers and the rivalry of Iowa-Nebraska we can officially welcome. Since 1981, the same year Kirk Ferentz arrived in Iowa City, the Iowa-Nebraska series is 4-2 in favor of Big Red. In my lifetime, it is 6-2 dating back to Nebraska's trip to Iowa City in 1979. Since my first games in Iowa City and in Lincoln, during 1979 to 1982 (my first year at Creighton), this game was one I enjoyed more than anyone. Today, I know why more than ever ...

hqdefault.jpg

Growing up in the early 70's, ABC was the source of watching college football, unless you went to a game. Dr. Tom Osborne has always been a coach I have cheered for and cheered against, as a Hawkeye. My sister and brother went to the University of Iowa. I opted for Omaha and Creighton University.

In 1974, growing up the road from the University of Iowa, I became a regular at Kinnick Stadium. Though, the Nebraska-Oklahoma series had already become an annual game to follow. My grandfather was a native Nebraskan, so Iowa, Nebraska and the Big Ten were always are Top 3 in College Football.

Rarely, would I root for teams outside that group

Dr. Tom Osborne
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1964–1968
Nebraska (off. assistant)
1969–1972 Nebraska (OC)
1973–1997 Nebraska

It didn't happen overnight for the Huskers with Dr. Tom Osborne. He won a ton of games though, far more than Kirk Ferentz at Iowa, who is now dean of the Big Ten in his 17th season. Though he is now in his 26th season at Iowa and has been a part of all eight games played in the modern era.
  • 1994 - It took 22 years, but what a journey for Nebraska fans
  • 1995 - a rare repeat ...
  • 1997 - shared with fellow Big Ten program Michigan
The modern era of College Football began in the 1950s, if you look at the history books. Though, it really is the 1970s for me personally, with the Game of the Century. Over the years, Iowa kids would also play at Nebraska. My favorite was Roger Craig.

I lived in Omaha for six seasons and my wife's family are still there, so the ups and downs rooting or not for Nebraska on Black Friday and in the bowl game has always been a part of my life.

In 1958, a special year for my family, not for football, the Huskers last opened 3-6. Iowa's top season in the past was 1958, so it has been interesting to witness a shift back to old. In 1999, Iowa and Nebraska opened the season in Iowa City, the Huskers were ranked #5 heading into Iowa City. Well, the roles are now reversed, as Kirk Ferentz leads his Iowa team to Lincoln to face first-year coach Mike Riley in his first season for Nebraska.

10581948.jpeg

#5 Iowa (11-0) @ Nebraska at Lincoln

It will be Senior Day for the Huskers and the Heroes Trophy will be on the line
, with bowl aspirations on the line for the Huskers, as the Hawkeyes will already play for the Big Ten Championship.

Last year, the Hawkeyes ran 88 plays to Nebraska's 59. The 88 plays match a season high (Purdue). The Hawkeyes held a nearly 15-minute advantage in time of possession, 37:36-22:24. Iowa's time of possession is the ninth best under Kirk Ferentz. But, games are won or loss based on the scoreboard ...

Shatel: Finally, Nebraska-Iowa series has a chance to turn into a legitimate rivalry - Link

Nebraska fans are unrealistic in today’s world,” says Chop, aka Kevin Halverson, a partner with Nissan of Omaha and Vantage Finance. “The scope of college football changed in the late ’90s. The scholarships, the teams that are on TV now. Now you don’t go to sit on the bench at Nebraska. You can go to a lot of places and play and be on TV.”

And on Iowa: “A lot of years, there’s no talk about Iowa. This year, we’re relevant. Iowa stays with a coach if there’s a payoff every four years. But a lot of fans, myself included, had had it with Ferentz.”

I have to admit. I have always been a Ferentz first fan. His work from 1981 to 1989 put him in the front seat over Bob Stoops. OU was the right job for the former SS in Black and Gold. But, clearly, the majority of the Iowa fan base or those interested in the subject had their doubts of Kirk Ferentz. Iowa AD Gary Barta was prudent to stay the course ...

One disappointment in 2015 for the journey Iowa is one was the loss of Nebraska native Drew Ott. But, that's football ...

11449837.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio

Opening statement...
“First thing I want to do is congratulate Coach Riley and Nebraska's football team. It was an outstanding win and they just kept playing. With that said, the first thing you've got to say to our football team is how we bounce from the bottom a little bit. We bounced around pretty well at the top but we're going to collect ourselves and understand that our destiny is still in our hands. We control our own fate in terms of winning the East (division) and that's the main thing we've got to focus on now. But it's disappointing the way it went down at the end of course and it shouldn't have. Guys made big plays and when defensively you didn't sack the quarterback, too many huge plays that he (Tommy Armstrong Jr.) created. We had a huge opportunity at the end of the game to come down with an interception. Then the controversial play at the end, but they should have never been down there in the first place. Credit them."

The loss at Nebraska has not cost Michigan State. They picked up a great 17-14 win at Ohio State and are still in the hunt for the Big Ten Championship, as well as the change to follow-up Ohio State last year, in the College Football Playoff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT