ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa moving to 4-2-5. LB enters portal

I don't disagree. It's easy to pile on a program when they are at basically their low point. We have had a ton of injuries, but that stuff happens to most teams. Yes I would like to play them fully healthy for once, but we need to get to the point where we have depth and don't use that as an excuse.

Don't get me wrong. I have no love lost for Iowa, but I also don't get as worked up as some do over an anonymous message board. I also enjoy talking football and am no to jaded to say that they have an elite S&C program as well as a great secondary coach who basically has churned out great DB's since we have been in the big. Those are just facts.

I will say that I think we have a lot more weapons this year and they are going to have trouble keeping up. As long as our lines hold up we will do good things this year. I think the biggest delusion they have is that our D is going to be Mike Riley bad again. It's not. Better S&C, more depth and 2 years in the same scheme. Now we just need to prove it, but it will already be better than last year with the graduation of Antonio Reed as well as Dedrick. I'm cautiously optimistic our D will be pretty decent.
Granted, our D will be very very very different this year, but it was about their 4-2-5, D will surprise, but face it, their strength is their D, ours is our O, we were way down last year, they should be close to the same this year on D, but we will be completely different, and to tear up their D, where all their pride is, is suiting to begin the turn around.

I do think iowa fans have a very altered view of us,as far as our passing game goes, as last year, we had low numbers, and with JD being hurt, it wont even be what they'll see this year.
Iowa fan has some reality to face this year.

Theyve never faced JD,ever. Add in a seasoned Wandale, a much improved TE group, our other seniors plus maybe two other rookies, their 4-2-5 better be on the money, as we stretch and smash them on the ground.
4-2-5 is a good approach to playing a team like NU, and Iowa plays good D. Their problem however, is that last year Mo caught 7 for 102 against them, essentially playing JDs position. November and knock on wood for health and a settled court case, the Hawkeyes will face Mo, JD and WanRob. That's a tripled headed monster in the receiving game (quadruple if you want to include Noa). Add to that Mills as a jackhammer in the run game. Iowa better hope their D is on point for that game.

4-2-5 is a good approach to playing a team like NU, and Iowa plays good D. Their problem however, is that last year Mo caught 7 for 102 against them, essentially playing JDs position. November and knock on wood for health and a settled court case, the Hawkeyes will face Mo, JD and WanRob. That's a tripled headed monster in the receiving game (quadruple if you want to include Noa). Add to that Mills as a jackhammer in the run game. Iowa better hope their D is on point for that game.
But thats just it.
This O is built,coached,hand fit to have,use,confuse with, all those guys.
We were severely hampered last year, and some may think, only one guy gets the ball, using all of em at once, which iowa hasnt seen, it then makes for where those guys start from, bubbles,TE seams, wheel routes,slants counter rpos etc, things iowa didnt have to worry about last year.
We are coming for them

The "WOW" goes to you for being an ass hat about a typo. It's quite clear that the entry above the quote was a typo. The entry below the quote is correct and complete. Calling that out proves your just being a D-bag!

Bro.

Reactions: Iowa_Sux
All defenses are going to have goal line formations, nickel/dime formations, etc. So at most Iowa is changing their base defense, which they may not even run the majority of the plays, depending on the opponent.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Right....those DBs looked pretty helpless last year against two true freshmen and one scholarship WR. But we shall see.
Parker has produced 3 of the last 4 B10 defensive back of the year players - none of them were highly recruited and each of them left early for the NFL. He is one of the best DC coaches in the country. Iowa tends to surrender a lot of underneath routes under a "bend don't break" approach - this could be what you are referring to as "helpless" defenders - their CBs generally play looser depending upon field position and game situation.

Last edited:
Parker has produced 3 of the last 4 B10 defensive back of the year players - none of them were highly recruited and each of them left early for the NFL. He is one of the best DC coaches in the country. Iowa tends to surrender a lot of underneath routes under a "bend don't break" approach - this could be what you are referring to as "helpless" defenders - their CBs generally play looser depending upon field position and game situation.

Parker? Hardly know her!

Reactions: SkerInCo
They split time last year going from base 4-3 to this 'cash' position.
They did lose their guy there though, so yea, its somewhat starting over, but they already know how to play it, but, do they have the guys to play it is the real question.
Yeah, Iowa always have a hard time at DB and LB

It is a shift most Iowa fans have clamored for years for with the changes to more spread offenses. Basically a way to have a player in position to cover at a higher rate. The problem they might have is they had an NFL player that was playing that position last year so it worked well.

It is a shift most Iowa fans have clamored for years for with the changes to more spread offenses. Basically a way to have a player in position to cover at a higher rate. The problem they might have is they had an NFL player that was playing that position last year so it worked well.
Hawk, I may be off on this but didn't Iowa play a Nickel (4-2-5 scheme) against NU most of the game last year anyway?

I'd like to know how often Iowa already used a 4-2-5 last season vs their traditional 4-3.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Hawk, I may be off on this but didn't Iowa play a Nickel (4-2-5 scheme) against NU most of the game last year anyway?

I'd like to know how often Iowa already used a 4-2-5 last season vs their traditional 4-3.

I might be wrong so anyone please correct me but they started implementing it about mid-way last season. After that, it looks like they played it for the majority of the rest of the year. Seems like it was two fold: 1) they needed to get quicker on the edges for drag routes and coverage, 2) they felt really good about the player that would take the spot (Hooker) and that helped get another guy (Stone) into the lineup more regularly getting their best players on the field more.

I might be wrong so anyone please correct me but they started implementing it about mid-way last season. After that, it looks like they played it for the majority of the rest of the year. Seems like it was two fold: 1) they needed to get quicker on the edges for drag routes and coverage, 2) they felt really good about the player that would take the spot (Hooker) and that helped get another guy (Stone) into the lineup more regularly getting their best players on the field more.
Good info. Thanks Hexum.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
The way he and other Iowa fans talk about the Hawkeyes, it’s hard to believe they didn’t even win the B1G West last year.

Well we were a good team that lost 3 close games that could have went the other way- total of 12 points I think. I think the west will be even more even this year as Neb and Minn have closed the gap some. The only team I dont see having a chance to win it is Illinois.

Well we were a good team that lost 3 close games that could have went the other way- total of 12 points I think. I think the west will be even more even this year as Neb and Minn have closed the gap some. The only team I dont see having a chance to win it is Illinois.

at least you got to hang another bowl participation banner!

ADVERTISEMENT