ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa moving to 4-2-5. LB enters portal

I definitely don’t mind them learning a new defensive system this year. Only helps the Huskers when it comes game time.

We made the switch after leading Wisconsin with less than a minute and their slot receiver scoring the go ahead TD on our LB guarding him (below). Took a LB out, moved safety Amani Hooker to the "Cash" spot and put Geno Stone in at Hooker's spot. So we've played the 4-2-5 since last September.

Really bummed to see Jayden McDonald go, but this is our deepest LB room in 16 years. It was bound to happen. He got passed up by two freshman. Wish him all the best.

They split time last year going from base 4-3 to this 'cash' position.
They did lose their guy there though, so yea, its somewhat starting over, but they already know how to play it, but, do they have the guys to play it is the real question.

Top offenses are all spread teams now that michigan has switched, with wisconsin possibly being the exception.

But a 4-2-5 wont work in the Big Ten.........or so I am told. You have to have a 4-3 or a 3-4 with HUGE dudes in the middle, to be able to stop the run. Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa will just run through a team with only 2 LBs on the field.
Well, they do have the line for it, last year too.
Going forwards? We shall see.

we had a lot situations last year where in the 3-4 we had LBs matched up against slot receivers and small backs

some defenses are daring teams to run the ball and see if they have the patience and discipline to sustain long deliberate drives without committing a penalty, or suffering a tackle for loss as opposed to being more at risk of giving up big plays by having LBs out in coverage in mismatches

we had a lot situations last year where in the 3-4 we had LBs matched up against slot receivers and small backs

some defenses are daring teams to run the ball and see if they have the patience and discipline to sustain long deliberate drives without committing a penalty, or suffering a tackle for loss as opposed to being more at risk of giving up big plays by having LBs out in coverage in mismatches
What I like is, not only do we have the mismatches, the scheme that thrives on those mismatches, but a coach that loves it.
You could say, this is them adjusting to us

Dedrick Young was terrible, can tell you how many times he took bad angles and missed tackles..He is one guy I’m glad that won’t be back..

We made the switch after leading Wisconsin with less than a minute and their slot receiver scoring the go ahead TD on our LB guarding him (below). Took a LB out, moved safety Amani Hooker to the "Cash" spot and put Geno Stone in at Hooker's spot. So we've played the 4-2-5 since last September.

Really bummed to see Jayden McDonald go, but this is our deepest LB room in 16 years. It was bound to happen. He got passed up by two freshman. Wish him all the best.

Well that sucks, having a deep LB crew and now only going to use two at a time? Really defeats the purpose. Now it’s going to be a matter how deep Iowa’s DBs are, not LBs.

Well that sucks, having a deep LB crew and now only going to use two at a time? Really defeats the purpose. Now it’s going to be a matter how deep Iowa’s DBs are, not LBs.

I'll trust Phil Parker to have the right DBs in the game. He's been putting guys in the leagure for decades now ;)

Reactions: Iowa_Sux
Who cares, the alignment is the same. The only time you see really different alignments are with 3-5-3...which no one runs in college...and some 3-3 stuff...which is basically awesome on paper...

Dedrick Young was terrible, can tell you how many times he took bad angles and missed tackles..He is one guy I’m glad that won’t be back..
BINGO. He might have been good with a good DL. But under the sircumstances, he was bad. Maybe not all his fault

Reactions: scarletred
Well if he is missing tackles like that in Pre-Season, we won’t be seeing him in the big show..Winking

If a good LB Coach gets a hold of him in the NFL and teaches well, I mean real well...he could have a good NFL career. He had a great Square for an LB and if I remember right he almost ran a 4.4 (I think it was low 4.5 to be honest). His techniques and decision making wasn’t good at all.

Reactions: scarletred

dgkhi6yw0aaq3f1.jpg

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
I hate to tell you, but their DB's have been light years ahead of us, and hapless is a stretch. I get you don't like Iowa, but they have been solid in the secondary and have one of the best in the business as their coach.
I do think iowa fans have a very altered view of us,as far as our passing game goes, as last year, we had low numbers, and with JD being hurt, it wont even be what they'll see this year.
Iowa fan has some reality to face this year.

Theyve never faced JD,ever. Add in a seasoned Wandale, a much improved TE group, our other seniors plus maybe two other rookies, their 4-2-5 better be on the money, as we stretch and smash them on the ground.

I do think iowa fans have a very altered view of us,as far as our passing game goes, as last year, we had low numbers, and with JD being hurt, it wont even be what they'll see this year.

Theyve never faced JD,ever. Add in a seasoned Wandale, a much improved TE group, our other seniors plus maybe two other rookies, their 4-2-5 better be on the money, as we stretch and smash them on the ground.

Let’s just hope we have everyone healthy enough not to seat out the Iowa games like we have in the past especially at QB..

Reactions: 9and4

I don't disagree. It's easy to pile on a program when they are at basically their low point. We have had a ton of injuries, but that stuff happens to most teams. Yes I would like to play them fully healthy for once, but we need to get to the point where we have depth and don't use that as an excuse.

Don't get me wrong. I have no love lost for Iowa, but I also don't get as worked up as some do over an anonymous message board. I also enjoy talking football and am no to jaded to say that they have an elite S&C program as well as a great secondary coach who basically has churned out great DB's since we have been in the big. Those are just facts.

I will say that I think we have a lot more weapons this year and they are going to have trouble keeping up. As long as our lines hold up we will do good things this year. I think the biggest delusion they have is that our D is going to be Mike Riley bad again. It's not. Better S&C, more depth and 2 years in the same scheme. Now we just need to prove it, but it will already be better than last year with the graduation of Antonio Reed as well as Dedrick. I'm cautiously optimistic our D will be pretty decent.

Reactions: SkerInCo
Let’s just hope we have everyone healthy enough not to seat out the Iowa games like we have in the past especially at QB..
Amen to that, and its every iowa fans dream, an injured AM.
Even with a first year, no depth,only Stan, no JD, we tore their defense up, according to how many yards they gave up, and how many points.
They used their 4-2-5 against us, but also could go base because of our low numbers at wide out.
Last year, we went 3 deep at wide out, with one TE.
This year, its seven deep at wide out, and three TEs.
Lets see how good they are, we couldnt really challenge them much last year,due to numbers alone, this year, not only numbers, but improved talent.

Reactions: steelclaw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT