ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa has 22 commits already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elijah Yelverton TE from Cedar Hill, TX has offers from Georgia, Florida, LSU, Oregon, Michigan, Auburn, Penn St, Arkansas, Arizona St, Nebraska, Kansas St, Kansas, Colorado, Boston College, Purdue, Texas Tech, Utah, TCU and UCF.
After you put two TE's in last years draft you should be on some good ones I'd think.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
It's been funny watching Iowa's lowly 3 star recruits, RB's, WR's and TE's running all over the field and in most cases blowing past all these amazing 4 star studs the last six years or so.
Blowing past ? It's dominate lines that are the difference. I wouldn't trade any of our starting RB's or Receivers for yours.

Last edited:
Riley's losses
28-20 when Iowa was 12-2. Tommy threw 4 ints.
40-10 when Tommy was playing on one leg and the team generated 217 yds of total offense. Tommy averaged about 240 yds of total offense per game by himself for his career.
56-14 when the team flat out gave up and Frost Warning shirts were being sold outside Memorial.

Last year, Iowa won on a walkoff FG against an NU team that finished 4-8. NU's leading passer and rusher was a true frosh (AMart) and the leading receiver was also a true frosh (Mo). Put all of this together with the Pelini years and it's pretty clear that NU/Iowa is a dogfight game, except when NU's starting QB is playing on one good leg (or not playing at all, see 2013), or when NU is waiting for Scott Frost to be named HC.
Ok now do the games Nebraska has won. Include margins of victory and Iowa’s record during those seasons.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Pelini also benefited as he played Iowa in the only time of significant change in the Ferentz era. Iowa lost a ton of talent off the 2010 team and changed it's OC and DC for the first time since 1999 during the Pelini games.
Let me guess: things will continue to get better with “new Kirk”

Elijah Yelverton TE from Cedar Hill, TX has offers from Georgia, Florida, LSU, Oregon, Michigan, Auburn, Penn St, Arkansas, Arizona St, Nebraska, Kansas St, Kansas, Colorado, Boston College, Purdue, Texas Tech, Utah, TCU and UCF.

RollingLaugh

You got a 5.7 three star white boy to commit...kudos.

You actually paid $99 to talk that smack…seriously? Laughing

Reactions: SOHusker11
Having 22 commits and only having a 3.0 rating is awful. That is a class that may not crack the top 50 when everyone else fills up.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Ok now do the games Nebraska has won. Include margins of victory and Iowa’s record during those seasons.
Below is from a prior post. What is relevant wrt the differences in NU and Iowa's approaches to recruiting is that Iowa doesn't have much room for error. If the development side of the coin doesn't work out, Iowa will be outmatched on the field. NU could pretty much pencil in 9 wins under Pelini, something that Kirk has never been able to do. Under Pelini, success on the field matched the quality of the recruiting classes for the most part. This was certainly not the case of the Potemkin Village of a football program that had developed under Mike Riley. I am sure there was more than one toast to Riley at Hawkeye tailgates.
The testing phase of Frost as a HC at NU starts this year. His goal, at least on offense, is to marry the Husker Power of old to really fast and athletic skill players that will be featured in his offense. And I expect his recruiting classes to be in the top 15-20, as opposed to 20-25. If these things pan out, Iowa will not like the results. The games may still be a bit of a dogfight, but NU will end up a possession or two to the good.
Iowa Rivals commit page is https://iowa.rivals.com/commitments/football/2020. Class averages as a 5.57 for the 22 commits.
Iowa has a system to develop these kids. They will win more games than they lose if they pull a sufficient number of the low and mid 3*s up to being able to compete at the Power 5 level, which they have done over the years. We will see in the next couple of years whether NU's plan of developing even better recruits to compete for conference titles and playoff spots works out.
Pelini was 3-1 against Iowa when they went 26-25. Riley/Frost are 0-4 against Iowa when they went 35-16. The bottom line is that NU has recruited at a significantly better clip than Iowa since before NU's move to the B1G, but Iowa has gotten a much bigger bang for their recruiting buck than NU over the past few years.
We will know NU has a arrived back as a legit program when the Iowa game in no longer a yearly nail biter, but a game NU fully expects to win.

Let me guess: things will continue to get better with “new Kirk”
I believe so. Recruiting is a ton better than the early 2010’s. The staff is light years better than the catastrophe that was Greg Davis, Bobby Kennedy, and Chris White. The offense has gotten better each year under Brian Ferentz. Which will lead to some really good and important Iowa/Nebraska games.

Prior to joining the BIG Neb has dominated Iowa. Since joining the BIG Iowas wins have been more impressive. However take away the Mike Riley effect and both sides have been pretty evenly matched score wise.

Prior to joining the BIG Neb has dominated Iowa. Since joining the BIG Iowas wins have been more impressive. However take away the Mike Riley effect and both sides have been pretty evenly matched score wise.
Kirk has done more with less. Riley did less with more. If Frost is > more, then Iowa will have to get more, or be content with an end of season L most of the time. That's just simple math.

Reactions: husker2612
Take away the Greg Davis effect and Iowa would have flipped the script on Pelini. Unfortunately, we can’t. Literally two plays turns Pelini from 3-1 against Iowa to 1-3. The same can’t be said against Nebraska losses.

The stupid call to go for the fake FG last year tells me Kirk has this game circled. Old Kirk would have kicked the FG to go up 3 scores. I for one am glad he has it circled.

Take away the Greg Davis effect and Iowa would have flipped the script on Pelini. Unfortunately, we can’t. Literally two plays turns Pelini from 3-1 against Iowa to 1-3. The same can’t be said against Nebraska losses.

The stupid call to go for the fake FG last year tells me Kirk has this game circled. Old Kirk would have kicked the FG to go up 3 scores. I for one am glad he has it circled.

Bullzhit.

I know he has . Nebraska has to wise up and realize it.

You are talking with what if or what could have been. Sure the Greg Davis effect. Is was caused that come on now. If you want to speak in what ifs. Well the Mike Reilly effect has been taken away from our prospective. It's game on now.

Are you saying that Nebraska will always be one of the biggest games for Iowa? I'm pretty sure Frost and the Nebraska fan base have much bigger aspirations.

Reactions: husker2612
I am sure that NU will always get Iowa's best. Back in the day, that was rarely enough to get a win. Now it is. But Iowa hasn't gotten NU's best since NU joined the league. When Iowa gets NU's best, Iowa more often than not will leave the stadium with an L.

Are you saying that Nebraska will always be one of the biggest games for Iowa? I'm pretty sure Frost and the Nebraska fan base have much bigger aspirations.
You’re making my comment too finite. Kirk has stated numerous times his goal each year is a big Ten title. But you’d be remised to think coaches don’t put a little extra focus on certain games.

Remember, he got blasted his first two years as a head coach. Results since Nebraska joined the Big Ten bare the emphasis. 40-10 and 56-14 were top two biggest losses those seasons for Nebraska. Iowa’s losses have been really close. The Eichorst comment. Frost hammering the state of Iowa in recruiting as well.

I am sure that NU will always get Iowa's best. Back in the day, that was rarely enough to get a win. Now it is. But Iowa hasn't gotten NU's best since NU joined the league. When Iowa gets NU's best, Iowa more often than not will leave the stadium with an L.
Nebraska hasn’t beaten Iowa’s best either. Laughing
7-6, 4-8, 7-6 were the record for Iowa in the three Nebraska wins. 9-4, 6-7, 9-4, 4-8, 4-8 were Nebraska’s records in Iowa’s wins. Heck, Nebraska was no. 16 and 9-2 when Iowa won in 2016.

Things are definitely going to be getting interesting in the coming years.

Reactions: timnsun
You’re making my comment too finite. Kirk has stated numerous times his goal each year is a big Ten title. But you’d be remised to think coaches don’t put a little extra focus on certain games.

Remember, he got blasted his first two years as a head coach. Results since Nebraska joined the Big Ten bare the emphasis. 40-10 and 56-14 were top two biggest losses those seasons for Nebraska. Iowa’s losses have been really close. The Eichorst comment. Frost hammering the state of Iowa in recruiting as well.
40-10 was with a one-legged Nebraska QB, which like it or not, made our offensive gameplay untenable.

56-14 was after 4-7 and continued the lay-down mentality of the team under Riley.

No doubt those were times Kirk wanted to stick it to Nebraska... and the score really indicated that, but Nebraska didn’t exactly put their best foot forward those two years.

Nebraska hasn’t beaten Iowa’s best either. Laughing
7-6, 4-8, 7-6 were the record for Iowa in the three Nebraska wins. 9-4, 6-7, 9-4, 4-8, 4-8 were Nebraska’s records in Iowa’s wins.

Solid points here. Thanks for posting level-headed stuff. Appreciate it.

I'm sure both coaches have that game circled every year because honestly for one or both it will be critical in winning the West. Either one or both teams will be battling for the West or one will need to win to keep pace/ahead of Wisc.

Nebraska can have higher aspirations but without winning the Iowa game there is most likely no championship game and with no championship game no playoff. It would be ignorant for Frost not to put a little more importance on the Iowa game than he would Illinois, Maryland, or Rutgers.

I'm sure both coaches have that game circled every year because honestly for one or both it will be critical in winning the West. Either one or both teams will be battling for the West or one will need to win to keep pace/ahead of Wisc.

Nebraska can have higher aspirations but without winning the Iowa game there is most likely no championship game and with no championship game no playoff. It would be ignorant for Frost not to put a little more importance on the Iowa game than he would Illinois, Maryland, or Rutgers.

1 game at a time. The most important game is who we play that week. There's some coach speak for you.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Heck, Nebraska was no. 16 and 9-2 when Iowa won in 2016.
Bravo beating a team with a one legged starting QB and a backup QB with one good hand.
Things getting interesting between NU and Iowa is the best Iowa fans can hope for.

40-10 was with a one-legged Nebraska QB, which like it or not, made our offensive gameplay untenable.

56-14 was after 4-7 and continued the lay-down mentality of the team under Riley.

No doubt those were times Kirk wanted to stick it to Nebraska... and the score really indicated that, but Nebraska didn’t exactly put their best foot forward those two years.
And if Frost has the advantage in coming years, he may keep the foot on the gas a couple of more series than needed for the win.

Bravo beating a team with a one legged starting QB and a backup QB with one good hand.
Things getting interesting between NU and Iowa is the best Iowa fans can hope for.
Right, because Iowa was always healthy. :rolleyes:

Roles reversed. Nebraska/MSU last year. What is your response to a Michigan State fan that says “congrats on beating our second string everything?” I highly doubt that is going to change your opinion of the game.

Roles reversed. Nebraska/MSU last year. What is your response to a Michigan State fan that says “congrats on beating our second string everything?” I highly doubt that is going to change your opinion of the game.

I would say 'thank you, gracious fan. what a fun game that was!'

Nebraska and Iowa’s recruiting philosophies are about as polar opposite as their offensive philosophies. Neither is right or wrong but is as calculated as anything else in the program. It is somewhat interesting that Iowa has offered somewhere abound 150 players in the 2020 class and have 22 commits. Nebraska has offered 3x that many guys with a third of the commits. It’s not like Nebraska is only recruiting the big fish as some have mentioned. The truth is, the recruiting strategies are working for each program. The talent on each roster is improving! Iowa is ranked 19th in the coaches poll today after losing four underclassman to the NFL draft. There is talent on that roster beyond just the reputation of player development. That is why I believe the stakes will be raised each season they play each other.

I'm hearing Iowa is a program that will be trending down the next 5 years.

As long as Brohm is at Purdue and Fitzgerald is at Northwestern... only Nebraska, Northwestern, and Purdue will compete for the west.

Stupid as always. Armstrong couldn't even play in the bowl game a month later.

Last edited:
I'm hearing Iowa is a program that will be trending down the next 5 years.

As long as Brohm is at Purdue and Fitzgerald is at Northwestern... only Nebraska, Northwestern, and Purdue will compete for the west.

If that’s what you’re hearing I suggest you schedule an appointment with an audiologist ASAP. With all those train tracks In Lincoln you might not hear the yearly “Husker Fan Excuse Train” as it plods thru town on its annual excursion and get run over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT