ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa coach has some explaining to do

Kirk needs to be fired immediately, if not sooner!
Doyle for sure. A lot of the examples given aren’t racially insensitive. The example given by Pryor certainly is and I think plenty for Doyle to be fired.

Kirk depends on the investigation that’s going to take place. Did he sweep complaints under the rug? There are soooooo many questions that I hope get asked before anything drastic is done.

James Daniels has been very outspoken. His older brother was a RB in the mid teens and had offers from OSU, etc. If it was so bad, why did his brother allow him to come to Iowa? Why have so many former black players come back and coached at Iowa?

There is so much more to come of this, stay tuned.

Reactions: ShaggynScooby
I've got news for you buddy. The way you were raised might not have been the right way. There's been all kinds of white kids who went off to college and needed a behavior adjustment as well.

I don't want to defend Iowa's staff, but cmon man. Enough of this crap.
Now this is the most sensible thing I have read. I would wager to say that many kids in college programs need some sort of behavior adjustment. Hell, when I went to boot camp, everyone got a behavior adjustment whether you needed it or not. LOL

The Daily Iowan collected some tweets

And here's one from Noah Fant's mother, via Scott Dochterman's story in The Athletic:

Daniels’ replies were filled with former Iowa teammates and parents. Kathy Fant, mother of former Iowa and current Denver Broncos tight end Noah Fant, wrote, “Walk in truth @jamsdans. Shine a light!”

I know well one black former player on the team (2015-2018), and he comes from an upper-middle class family. He has alluded to these problems, but never explicitly mentioned the strength coach or specific incidents to me.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
From the Tweets I’ve seen, it’s pretty light on the scale of racist stuff. “Tie your shoes”, “no tank tops”, basically act professional. If you get a brand new camero, the coaches are going to ask where you got it.

It will be interesting to see if any of the white players talk about the same stuff or if it was only directed at black players.

It seems like Kirk would have a hard time getting black coaches if he had a culture against black kids.
I agree. When you sign up to participate for an exclusive, privileged group that less than 1% of 1% of Americans even have a chance to partake in, then there are going to be certain “proven” actions that are expected. Iowa has achieved above their talent for years by being one of the most disciplined programs.

tenor.gif

I would say this is the end of the all mighty Iowa culture Iowa fans always tout. I’m sure recruiting will be hit pretty good. Will be interesting if K Johnson reconsiders. At this point would we even want him?

Doubt Ferentz gets fired. But his legacy and reputation will definitely take a hit. Have to imagine they have no choice but to fire the strength coach. Surprise it hasn’t happened already TBH.

Players implicating Brian Ferentz which makes things interesting.

For one the succession plan is now gone. For two it might be easy enough for the good captain to say he was unaware of what Doyle was doing (if you want to believe that) but it'd be a harder sell to say he didn't keep close relations with his son.

If what these players say is true, were they speaking out during their tenure at Iowa ? If not, why? I always find it interesting when people complain after the fact instead of when it was allegedly occurring.

Because its pile-on time. Thats how it always works.

Do you take an unaimed pot shot at 700 yards or do you wait until you can see the whites of their eyes?

Same principle. They have a good chance of removing Doyle now if not more of the staff. Ten years ago they'd have got a 15 sec clip on the news and probably a private sit down about how snaps would be hard to come by from now on but they were free to make their own decisions about their future in football.

If what these players say is true, were they speaking out during their tenure at Iowa ? If not, why? I always find it interesting when people complain after the fact instead of when it was allegedly occurring.

Iowa does a good job of keeping the muzzle on kids with things like not being allowed on twitter. And they were possibly worried about an impact on playing time.

I’ll wait for the university to respond before making any judgement on the Iowa program, but the Iowa fan base deserves every piece of crap thrown their way..:)

Iowa does a good job of keeping the muzzle on kids with things like not being allowed on twitter. And they were possibly worried about an impact on playing time.

It's not uncommon for crimes to be alleged way after the fact.

Do you take an unaimed pot shot at 700 yards or do you wait until you can see the whites of their eyes?

Same principle. They have a good chance of removing Doyle now if not more of the staff. Ten years ago they'd have got a 15 sec clip on the news and probably a private sit down about how snaps would be hard to come by from now on but they were free to make their own decisions about their future in football.

Yep. Its much easier to speak out when you aren't the first one. Much less risk involved.

Reactions: jflores
Some examples of players tweeting:

James Daniels and the tweet that started it all:

"There are too many racial disparities in the Iowa football program. Black players have been treated unfairly for far too long."

lol strength n conditioning coach at Iowa CoAch DOYLE ask me did I gangbang in the offseason cause I ain’t run track or wrestle. Type shit is that. Pops was ready to kill em.

Dude ass told me I couldn’t afford golf clubs

Marcel Joly:

"Thank you James!! I remember when I used to wear my tank tops in the facility, I used to get called in the coaches office because I had too much tattoos and it wasn’t the “Iowa culture” or the “Iowa Way”."

Faith Ekakitie

"Coach Ferentz is one of the reasons I committed to Iowa as a high school senior. He cares, and he gets it. However, for this program in particular, real change begins with @coach_Doyle and his Strength & Conditioning staff."

Former Hawk LeBron Daniel

"As @Mike_Daniels76 said yesterday, they don’t want to have that convo bro! "

Former Iowa Defensive Lineman and current Detroit Tackle Mike Daniels:

Whoops (with eye emojis)

Former WR Tevaun Smith (quoting Jame's tweet)

A lot of my brothers dealt with issues and I’m glad someone is speaking on it now.

DJ Johnson (Former Hawkeye CB from Indy who just left the program. Chose Iowa ahead of offers from Notre Dame and LSU.)

What’s done in the dark always gone come to the light

Former LB Aaron Mends posts an iPhone notes statement:

Says that there are "team rules" disgused as "culture" that may be oppressional to black players. Says it's hard to be a black player at Iowa. I encourage you to read the whole thing.

Reggie Spearman:

I personally believe Doyle and Kirk from my own experiences aren’t inclusive and understanding of young black athletes

Former RB Toren Young (who just graduated):

If you are a black player you quickly learn to conform to white culture (when in the building) at Iowa and if you don’t. You won’t make it very long

James Daniels was kicked out of workouts because his shoes weren't tied properly

I got kicked out of workouts because my shoes weren’t tied properly. Lol

https://twitter.com/leellxvii/status/1269066388959834113

I'm not sure who @organicallycool is but they were kicked out of workouts because only half their hair was braided

@organicallycoolremember when they kicked you out of workouts because only half your hair was braided

https://twitter.com/SuperCooper93/status/1269062741853122560

Jordan Lomax speaks out:

I stand with my fellow Hawkeye Brothers advocating for a cultural shift in the Iowa Football Program. We were disproportionately represented as a result of black players leaving prematurely due to either double standards or the inability of the coaching staff to relate with our culture. I have much respect for KF and other coaches on the staff as men of great integrity, principles, & morals and I am confident they have the ability be a part of the solution. As my brother @Faith_Joseph already mentioned, “the change starts in the weight room”

https://twitter.com/jordanlomax27/status/1269084300265295874

Read this one. Manny Rugamba with a damning statement: https://twitter.com/BooRadd_/status/1269090150493143041

From former DB Anthony Gair:

Says his time at Iowa was decent for the most part. Says coaches didn't support them in entrepenuerial things, even if they weren't distractions.

https://twitter.com/jamsdans/status/1269092412393218054

Former Iowa and current Titan's DB Amani Hooker:

I remember whenever walking into the facility it would be difficult for black players to walk around the facility and be themselves. As if the way you grew up was the wrong way or wasn’t acceptable & that you would be judge by that and it would impact playing time. For a lot of guys it was just constant anxiety and pressure to be someone they really aren’t to play a game they love, which affected school & there play.

https://twitter.com/amanihooker37/status/1269075030673162243

Another damning statement from a black player that wished to remain anonymous:

"I won't speak much on it but I'll just say Iowa is far from the program they seems to be to the average person looking from the outoutside in. They are very prejudice and like James said the black players are treated very unfairly and that played a big part in me transferring. Being a black athlete at Iowa you have to be mentally tough you never know that experience you are going to have walking in that building DAILY. There's not one black player on that team who actually enjoys being at Iowa we just endure it because we know the benefits that come with being a Iowa football player at the next level. There's a reason Iowa won't allow players to have a freedom of speech on social media sites like Twitter. Because if they give players that type of platform things of this nature would come out! The truth!! When we are silenced they control the narrative

https://twitter.com/devine_tyler/status/1269103825388015617

The above 'anonymous' statement turns out to be DJ Johnson

This was me. only reason its anonymous is because i was asked for a comment but id rather speak on it myself. I want my experiences to be justified by me not somebody reporting for me but let y’all tell it. Like I said playing time was far from the reason of my transferring.

An anonymous white player implicates Ferentz:

https://twitter.com/devine_tyler/status/1269118879462305794

Cedric Boswell speaks out about Doyle and mentions Brian Ferentz in this iPhone notes statement:

https://twitter.com/cjboswell98/status/1269121916964614145?s=21

Terrance Pryor speaks out about a racist incident with Doyle in which Doyle made a “black people don’t like boats in water” stereotype remark:

https://twitter.com/tpryor51/status/1269104017705222144?s=21

Former WR Maurice Fleming in a message to James Daniels

https://twitter.com/jamsdans/status/1269137243219865601?s=20

Jaleel Johnson on an interaction with Kirk Ferentz

I got my new Chevy camero, KF called me in his office and asked me how I got it. But one of our tight ends had an obnoxious, over the top pick up truck and shit was cool with him lol

https://twitter.com/jamsdans/status/1269137243219865601?s=20

(copies from a reddit post)
Glad to see that Iowa education working wonders for ole Stephen B.

Reactions: WHCSC
A couple of thoughts:

First, you hate to see this for so many reasons. At worst, you have systematic problem, being ignored or covered up, that has been going on for who knows how long. At best, the strength coach has some issues and has made a bunch of players feel discriminated against. If it's the later, Farentz should be able to handle it and move on.

Also, can we now officially put an end to the "Iowa Way" BS. Iowa talks about recruiting a certain type of player, doing things the right way, etc. You know who else does this? Every single coach and team in America. Yet, a segment of the Iowa fan base just eats it up and repeats it like gospel. Every staff wants to turn kids into good players and productive citizens. I remember "The Penn State Way" and Joe Pa talking about more than winning too...

In the end this could just be a couple players airing some grievences in a public setting. If so, Farentz has a talk with Doyle and makes him look in the mirror and make some changes. On the other hand this could be like a Zach Smith situation, if this has been going on for 20 years and Farentz knew.

A couple of thoughts:

First, you hate to see this for so many reasons. At worst, you have systematic problem, being ignored or covered up, that has been going on for who knows how long. At best, the strength coach has some issues and has made a bunch of players feel discriminated against. If it's the later, Farentz should be able to handle it and move on.

Also, can we now officially put an end to the "Iowa Way" BS. Iowa talks about recruiting a certain type of player, doing things the right way, etc. You know who else does this? Every single coach and team in America. Yet, a segment of the Iowa fan base just eats it up and repeats it like gospel. Every staff wants to turn kids into good players and productive citizens. I remember "The Penn State Way" and Joe Pa talking about more than winning too...

In the end this could just be a couple players airing some grievences in a public setting. If so, Farentz has a talk with Doyle and makes him look in the mirror and make some changes. On the other hand this could be like a Zach Smith situation, if this has been going on for 20 years and Farentz knew.

The problem with the Iowa Way thing is that like these kids say you are trying to build a unified team culture but you have a program and a coaching staff that leans heavily on the "lunch pail" stigma that the program has.

That lunch pail stigma is an overwhelmingly white stigma. I've watched thirty years or so of college football heavily leaning towards Midwest schools and I don't think I've ever seen anyone do an expose showing a black player on a tractor and talking about how their down home values translate to the football field. We've seen plenty of white ones though. I don't think any of the real old timers here could claim otherwise.

In normal times it will take some level of balancing act to instill a team culture but still allow counter culture to not feel repressed unduly. When you get in these raucous times and the gloves come off though evvery little thing you did or did not do becomes a bullet.

This is why said a bunch of coaches across America are having a pucker factor the other night

More generally the lunch pail vs star athletes program stigma is a pluralized form of the issue we have with intellectual white QBs and athletic black ones. It's accepted sports lingo that blatantly feel like code for something.

Reactions: 9and4
More generally the lunch pail vs star athletes program stigma is a pluralized form of the issue we have with intellectual white QBs and athletic black ones. It's accepted sports lingo that blatantly feel like code for something.

Taylor martinez wasn't black and the media emphasized his athleticism like crazy.

It’s the old comedy bit of ‘gym rat,’ ‘dads a coach,’ ‘lunch pail’ for white guys.

‘Natural/gifted athlete’ for black players and the Hispanic guy is known as a ‘spark plug’ or ‘firecracker.’

It’s the old comedy bit of ‘gym rat,’ ‘dads a coach,’ ‘lunch pail’ for white guys.

‘Natural/gifted athlete’ for black players and the Hispanic guy is known as a ‘spark plug’ or ‘firecracker.’

I mean, T-Magic was from like Long Beach right. He has a Hispanic last name, I have no idea what his true ethnicity is. The argument above that media fawned over his athleticism is still an outlier if he is indeed white, but he may be a minority anyway, which would take away that exception.

A couple of thoughts:

Hard to see Doyle surviving this.

Reactions: headcard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT