ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa coach has some explaining to do

It’s the old comedy bit of ‘gym rat,’ ‘dads a coach,’ ‘lunch pail’ for white guys.

‘Natural/gifted athlete’ for black players and the Hispanic guy is known as a ‘spark plug’ or ‘firecracker.’
Ganz was basically called a fire cracker. Crouch was praised for his athleticism, as was Frost. McCant and Gill were called option operators (reference to their intelligence and ability to run the offense). There are plenty of examples of qbs just from Nebraska to prove the premise incorrect.

Go to the NFL: Warren Moon was praised for his heady play, while Dan Marino was praised for his arm and Steve Young for his flat-out athleticism. Baker Mayfield and Drew Brees are more recent examples.

So Iowa still sucks right? :)

There's a thread on the Iowa board about how KF apparently was aware of some of the racial disparities in attrition and was taking a look at it.

With Frost and Duval being Republican Trump supporters, it's probably only a matter of time before some of our former players come out with similar accusations. I'm sure many of them have similar feelings of being uncomfortable in a place that is not racially diverse and you are always under a microscope. It's going to get even harder now for programs to recruit black players to places that aren't diverse. And when you consider we are one of the few athletic departments to never have had a black head coach in any sport, it doesn't help the perception.

I don't know I'm not sure. Iowa REALLY leans on that lunch pail thing. Kirk's been an old man for like forever. I feel like Scott has enough flexibility in him he can walk over and talk to Polar Bear about Bass Pro and still yuck it up with the city kids and be credible that its a welcoming environment. I'd like to think Duval would follow that lead and not do some of the stupid things Doyle is doing to motivate.

I'm sure as a player he might have learned a few things about the blending of cultures as well that you may not get strictly as a staff member.Scott also has primarily been a coach on the Coasts as well.

The problem with my analysis there is that KF himself doesn't seem to be a problem per the players, but there's something there about his distance from his own program that he either doesn't see or doesn't care about what his son and his strength coach is doing that's weird.

Reactions: Yossarian23
I think this happened in the early 90’s not sure. A player I think his name was Brandon drum made some racist comments, he was dismissed from the team but imo he really hurt nu recruiting for several years Maybe it happened during franks tenure. Some of you other knowledge poster will correct me which is fine

Doyles kid is slated to be the starting LBer. I hope nepotism didn't help him jump to the front of the line as quick as he did.

I'm with jflores. I will enjoy every last bit of this train wreck.
joey-tribiani-not-sorry-friends.gif

May not have to implicate KF directly. Lot of Iowa fans seem to think if BF is going down KF will resign of his own accord rather than fire his son.

I'm sure I will catch shit for this, but how does something so "blatant" go in for 20 years and no one reports it. Why weren't there any protests or walk outs or whatever to get this guy fired long before now. If he offended half to 75% of the team every week, they would have had the numbers to affect change.

I am not defending what he said, how he handled himself or anything along those lines. I just hate that this stuff comes out when there is a racial issue when it is easy to pile on. Again not that what he did or said was right. But why not get this guy fired 10 years ago and stop the shit from happening to the next ten years worth of players. Why aren't the players from last year pissed at these dudes from 2012 for not doing something to stop it.

I'm sure I will catch shit for this, but how does something so "blatant" go in for 20 years and no one reports it. Why weren't there any protests or walk outs or whatever to get this guy fired long before now. If he offended half to 75% of the team every week, they would have had the numbers to affect change.

I am not defending what he said, how he handled himself or anything along those lines. I just hate that this stuff comes out when there is a racial issue when it is easy to pile on. Again not that what he did or said was right. But why not get this guy fired 10 years ago and stop the shit from happening to the next ten years worth of players. Why aren't the players from last year pissed at these dudes from 2012 for not doing something to stop it.

Didn't someone post earlier that only 10 percent of iowas roster is black. I haven't done any research myself. Maybe it was ten percent of the state

Didn't someone post earlier that only 10 percent of iowas roster is black. I haven't done any research myself. Maybe it was ten percent of the state

No wonder they don't win.

I just looked at the current roster. There were at least 40 African American players on the team. That doesn't include the players that don't have pictures up yet.

So I will amend my comment to 33% of the roster.

Reactions: jflores

Because rich, powerful people are hard to overcome? Why did Sandusky get away with what he did for so long? How did the Boy Scout troop leaders, Catholic Priests and whatever other long standing issues go under the radar?

Reactions: headcard
All I have to say for this is...would the Iowa fans let it slide or say nothing to us had this happened to Frosts staff and our Huskers? I doubt it, completely doubt it. We’d have a group of Iowa fans on our board the second it broke and we’d be hearing about it all week. If not for months or longer. That’s all I’m saying...
What's right is right.

Reactions: huskerssalts
No wonder they don't win.

I just looked at the current roster. There were at least 40 African American players on the team. That doesn't include the players that don't have pictures up yet.

So I will amend my comment to 33% of the roster.

It feels like none of the accusations are ‘egregious’ in the sense that none of them are alone are bad enough to start real activism in the locker room. Pair that with being scared of losing playing time and it may make some sense as to why nobody went to the media.

No why they didn’t say something after they left the program (until now)? Scared of being ostracized from the program? I’m not sure.

This looks like a death from a thousand paper cuts.

As I said before, don't really care about Iowa goings on one way or the other, BUT since the strength coach has created a big stink Ferentz has suspended the strength coach tonight. Probably won't be back IMO.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Yah I really don't get the obsession with having these guys report on the spot. At least one of the tweets I posted had a player complain in front of the whole team, receive a suspension and have a meeting with an associate AD.

No one heard about that effort until now. Why would more follow suit for no gain? Folks want to consider laying off some white coaches and in general (not tuco specifically) folks want to put all the blame on the kids and make every effort to shield the coach.

Accusations are made investigative action should be taken and let the chips fall where they may.

I mean yes it's easier for coaches to divide and conquer if they squelch accusations onesie twosie over a period of twenty years. I largely don't feel sorry for them that this worked its way up into a class action style lawsuit with many accusations. If you can't do the time don't do the crime. Again pending investigative action.

Because rich, powerful people are hard to overcome? Why did Sandusky get away with what he did for so long? How did the Boy Scout troop leaders, Catholic Priests and whatever other long standing issues go under the radar?

There were always people who came forward. Just not believed. That is different than never coming forward.

Has anyone heard anything like this until this week? I hadn't

Reactions: dinglefritz
Not sure I get this. One can be a trump/republican supporter and also not be a racist and a hater. The two don’t have to be linked.

I know there could easily be a perception issue, and that may cause hurdles down the road, but so far it hasn’t seemed to be much of an issue.

Agreed even for these kids they don't generally have a reason to pull that card unless there are dick moves made by the staff.

There were always people who came forward. Just not believed. That is different than never coming forward.

Has anyone heard anything like this until this week? I hadn't
I had not, but reading the thread linked to the Iowa board in the OP, there seem to be a lot of Iowa fans that have heard rumblings of this over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT