ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa coach has some explaining to do

Nearly every program has players speaking out against them right now, but it's hard to believe that a s&c coach who's been on Ferentz's staff at Iowa his entire head coaching tenure never said anything inappropriate in front of the head ball coach. Seems like some cracks in the facade out east...shocking, I know.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Nearly every program has players speaking out against them right now, but it's hard to believe that a s&c coach who's been on Ferentz's staff at Iowa his entire head coaching tenure never said anything inappropriate in front of the head ball coach. Seems like some cracks in the facade out east...shocking, I know.

I've got news for you buddy. The way you were raised might not have been the right way. There's been all kinds of white kids who went off to college and needed a behavior adjustment as well.

I don't want to defend Iowa's staff, but cmon man. Enough of this crap.

What's been ignited over there will not go away soon but I'd rather Nebraska just flippin' beat Iowa than dance on the program's dark hour, personally. Every program has issues.
The difference between Iowa and other programs is that fans of very few programs make the constant sanctimonious claims Hawkeye fans do...and even fewer run to this forum to make them.

Good thread over there. The "my friend is black" guy is over there posting along with a few other tropes.

yep.. def not a good look , but I think many that played football could feel picked on at some point.. it was many years ago but our 8th grade football coach was one hard ass butt kicking name calling ornery man ..got us working hard but I guarantee he wouldn't get away with that in these ' softer ' days . Some of the drills we had we down right dangerous . my head is still ringing . But these days It's not just sticks and stones that break bones

Reactions: SWIowahawks
From the Tweets I’ve seen, it’s pretty light on the scale of racist stuff. “Tie your shoes”, “no tank tops”, basically act professional. If you get a brand new camero, the coaches are going to ask where you got it.

It will be interesting to see if any of the white players talk about the same stuff or if it was only directed at black players.

It seems like Kirk would have a hard time getting black coaches if he had a culture against black kids.

From the Tweets I’ve seen, it’s pretty light on the scale of racist stuff. “Tie your shoes”, “no tank tops”, basically act professional. If you get a brand new camero, the coaches are going to ask where you got it.

It will be interesting to see if any of the white players talk about the same stuff or if it was only directed at black players.

It seems like Kirk would have a hard time getting black coaches if he had a culture against black kids.

welp, looks like a coaching failure, he did not evaluate his staff better before hiring them Or at least this guy....;)

So, it doesn’t appear Iowas staff and players are all saints after all. Let me guess, somehow this guy is lying or this is all just fictional?

Last edited:
I've got news for you buddy. The way you were raised might not have been the right way. There's been all kinds of white kids who went off to college and needed a behavior adjustment as well.

I don't want to defend Iowa's staff, but cmon man. Enough of this crap.

All I have to say for this is...would the Iowa fans let it slide or say nothing to us had this happened to Frosts staff and our Huskers? I doubt it, completely doubt it. We’d have a group of Iowa fans on our board the second it broke and we’d be hearing about it all week. If not for months or longer. That’s all I’m saying...

Nothing to see here

All I have to say for this is...would the Iowa fans let it slide or say nothing to us had this happened to Frosts staff and our Huskers? I doubt it, completely doubt it. We’d have a group of Iowa fans on our board the second it broke and we’d be hearing about it all week. If not for months or longer. That’s all I’m saying...

I’d agree with you with out a doubt on this, but what ever school this happens it just shows me how soft our society dealing with athletes has become...

Some Coaches push different buttons to motivate certain athletes...Too many today get their feelings hurt if they think they’re being made fun of..

Man, I don’t relish this crap the way that you seem to
Doesn’t matter if it’s Iowa, or Texas, or whoever has crossed our path
What pisses me off is Iowa trolls that come over here and post likewise about any perceived misdeed or misstep
Be better, Salts. You post some good info, your beef with Iowa is unhealthy
Stooping to Iowa troll level isn’t a good look

"2 wrongs don't make it right" is what got us here in the first place.

Reactions: RothMatt
I’d agree with you with out a doubt on this, but what ever school this happens it just shows me how soft our society dealing with athletes has become...

Some Coaches push different buttons to motivate certain athletes...Too many today get their feelings hurt if they think they’re being made fun of..
Man, I don’t relish this crap the way that you seem to
Doesn’t matter if it’s Iowa, or Texas, or whoever has crossed our path
What pisses me off is Iowa trolls that come over here and post likewise about any perceived misdeed or misstep
Be better, Salts. You post some good info, your beef with Iowa is unhealthy
Stooping to Iowa troll level isn’t a good look
"2 wrongs don't make it right" is what got us here in the first place.

agreed, 100% agreed.

I doubt it was about shoelaces.

giphy.gif

‘it wasn’t THAT racist, right guys?!’

The current dean of college coaches has been elevated to Saintly status. There was another dean who was a saint not too long ago . . . what was his name? I think it started with Pa and ended with terno.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/awards/_/team/2294
Listed:
2017 Iowa Disney Spirit Award (the fans earned that award, but guess who gets to wear the Halo?)
How soon before espn removes that award, which ironically was given by ESPN's parent company.

Still, glass houses and all.

Last edited:
This player just left a month ago. I’m seeing more of these from many players and I think it’s obvious that Doyle needs to be gone. Whether or not Kirk needs to be gone is up to how much he allowed and whether or not this stuff was brought to his attention.

Some of the examples these kids are stating are simply being weak minded. But that doesn’t mean they felt comfortable and that’s not cool.

I doubt it was about shoelaces.
I think it was. Culture has been brought up a lot in these Tweets. Not being able to express yourself individually has been brought up numerous times. It sounds like the military where everyone dresses the same and acts the same. Somewhere along the line this has made black players feel like the Iowa coaches don’t relate to them. Heads will roll for this.

This player just left a month ago. I’m seeing more of these from many players and I think it’s obvious that Doyle needs to be gone. Whether or not Kirk needs to be gone is up to how much he allowed and whether or not this stuff was brought to his attention.

Some of the examples these kids are stating are simply being weak minded. But that doesn’t mean they felt comfortable and that’s not cool.
surely that’ll fix it.

bad apples and bunches and all that.

Reactions: jflores
When iowa players tried to accuse Nebraska players of being racist, I thought they were full of shit when they went about it in a way that wouldnt cause any to happen (bitch to media members publicly, but not actually file reports internally). Considering how much of a cancer Twitter has been, I'm naturally going to take a skeptics stance on this until more comes out.

Now if more concrete evidence does come out then this is pretty bad for them

Last edited:
Looks like Iowa may be in some hot water. Lots of former Iowa players are saying the program is systemically racist. Looks like their S&C coach is taking the brunt of it, but other coaches involved too. It’s all over Twitter.

Some examples of players tweeting:

James Daniels and the tweet that started it all:

"There are too many racial disparities in the Iowa football program. Black players have been treated unfairly for far too long."

lol strength n conditioning coach at Iowa CoAch DOYLE ask me did I gangbang in the offseason cause I ain’t run track or wrestle. Type shit is that. Pops was ready to kill em.

Dude ass told me I couldn’t afford golf clubs

Marcel Joly:

"Thank you James!! I remember when I used to wear my tank tops in the facility, I used to get called in the coaches office because I had too much tattoos and it wasn’t the “Iowa culture” or the “Iowa Way”."

Faith Ekakitie

"Coach Ferentz is one of the reasons I committed to Iowa as a high school senior. He cares, and he gets it. However, for this program in particular, real change begins with @coach_Doyle and his Strength & Conditioning staff."

Former Hawk LeBron Daniel

"As @Mike_Daniels76 said yesterday, they don’t want to have that convo bro! "

Former Iowa Defensive Lineman and current Detroit Tackle Mike Daniels:

Whoops (with eye emojis)

Former WR Tevaun Smith (quoting Jame's tweet)

A lot of my brothers dealt with issues and I’m glad someone is speaking on it now.

DJ Johnson (Former Hawkeye CB from Indy who just left the program. Chose Iowa ahead of offers from Notre Dame and LSU.)

What’s done in the dark always gone come to the light

Former LB Aaron Mends posts an iPhone notes statement:

Says that there are "team rules" disgused as "culture" that may be oppressional to black players. Says it's hard to be a black player at Iowa. I encourage you to read the whole thing.

Reggie Spearman:

I personally believe Doyle and Kirk from my own experiences aren’t inclusive and understanding of young black athletes

Former RB Toren Young (who just graduated):

If you are a black player you quickly learn to conform to white culture (when in the building) at Iowa and if you don’t. You won’t make it very long

James Daniels was kicked out of workouts because his shoes weren't tied properly

I got kicked out of workouts because my shoes weren’t tied properly. Lol

https://twitter.com/leellxvii/status/1269066388959834113

I'm not sure who @organicallycool is but they were kicked out of workouts because only half their hair was braided

@organicallycoolremember when they kicked you out of workouts because only half your hair was braided

https://twitter.com/SuperCooper93/status/1269062741853122560

Jordan Lomax speaks out:

I stand with my fellow Hawkeye Brothers advocating for a cultural shift in the Iowa Football Program. We were disproportionately represented as a result of black players leaving prematurely due to either double standards or the inability of the coaching staff to relate with our culture. I have much respect for KF and other coaches on the staff as men of great integrity, principles, & morals and I am confident they have the ability be a part of the solution. As my brother @Faith_Joseph already mentioned, “the change starts in the weight room”

https://twitter.com/jordanlomax27/status/1269084300265295874

Read this one. Manny Rugamba with a damning statement: https://twitter.com/BooRadd_/status/1269090150493143041

From former DB Anthony Gair:

Says his time at Iowa was decent for the most part. Says coaches didn't support them in entrepenuerial things, even if they weren't distractions.

https://twitter.com/jamsdans/status/1269092412393218054

Former Iowa and current Titan's DB Amani Hooker:

I remember whenever walking into the facility it would be difficult for black players to walk around the facility and be themselves. As if the way you grew up was the wrong way or wasn’t acceptable & that you would be judge by that and it would impact playing time. For a lot of guys it was just constant anxiety and pressure to be someone they really aren’t to play a game they love, which affected school & there play.

https://twitter.com/amanihooker37/status/1269075030673162243

Another damning statement from a black player that wished to remain anonymous:

"I won't speak much on it but I'll just say Iowa is far from the program they seems to be to the average person looking from the outoutside in. They are very prejudice and like James said the black players are treated very unfairly and that played a big part in me transferring. Being a black athlete at Iowa you have to be mentally tough you never know that experience you are going to have walking in that building DAILY. There's not one black player on that team who actually enjoys being at Iowa we just endure it because we know the benefits that come with being a Iowa football player at the next level. There's a reason Iowa won't allow players to have a freedom of speech on social media sites like Twitter. Because if they give players that type of platform things of this nature would come out! The truth!! When we are silenced they control the narrative

https://twitter.com/devine_tyler/status/1269103825388015617

The above 'anonymous' statement turns out to be DJ Johnson

This was me. only reason its anonymous is because i was asked for a comment but id rather speak on it myself. I want my experiences to be justified by me not somebody reporting for me but let y’all tell it. Like I said playing time was far from the reason of my transferring.

An anonymous white player implicates Ferentz:

https://twitter.com/devine_tyler/status/1269118879462305794

Cedric Boswell speaks out about Doyle and mentions Brian Ferentz in this iPhone notes statement:

https://twitter.com/cjboswell98/status/1269121916964614145?s=21

Terrance Pryor speaks out about a racist incident with Doyle in which Doyle made a “black people don’t like boats in water” stereotype remark:

https://twitter.com/tpryor51/status/1269104017705222144?s=21

Former WR Maurice Fleming in a message to James Daniels

https://twitter.com/jamsdans/status/1269137243219865601?s=20

Jaleel Johnson on an interaction with Kirk Ferentz

I got my new Chevy camero, KF called me in his office and asked me how I got it. But one of our tight ends had an obnoxious, over the top pick up truck and shit was cool with him lol

https://twitter.com/jamsdans/status/1269137243219865601?s=20

(copies from a reddit post)

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
welp, looks like a coaching failure, he did not evaluate his staff better before hiring them Or at least this guy....;)

So, it doesn’t appear Iowas staff and players are all saints after all. Let me guess, somehow this guy is lying or this is all just fictional?
Who was the coach Bo hired off the Iowa staff? Don't think he was a saint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT