ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa can't sell out primetime game against highly-ranked Penn State

And Nebraska can't beat Northern Illinois with a sellout.

source.gif

Last edited:
Too expensive. Seats are so crammed there, missing 4000 will bring relief for the 4000 lucky ones sitting next to them...still will look full and will still be a madhouse.

I think it's indicative of why decreasing capacity is a topic on many Ath Dep strategic plan these days. TV money has marginalized the importance of butts in the seat to bottom lines

What percentage of seats at Kinnick are held by season ticket holders? How many single-game tix are available on the average week from the university?

What percentage of seats at Kinnick are held by season ticket holders? How many single-game tix are available on the average week from the university?
Only a quasi educated guess, but I believe it's in the neighborhood of 45kseason, 10k student, 4K opponent allocation....leaving in the neighborhood of 10k single game or mini packs

Depends on who is Nebraska's head coach.
For me, it really doesn't.

And while I despise some of the Iowa trolls as much as anyone, I don't see the point of poking them for unsold tickets, as NU sits here 1-2.

I have seen posters (dinglefritz) in the last week here admit that the Nebraska sellout streak is a sham which many people have known about for years. Corporations buying up unused tickets for the sake of keeping the streak alive is worse than continuing to promote the streak in my opinion.
That said Iowa not selling out a night game against a top 5 opponenent is pretty dang sad too. It has its roots in the universities decade long move to curb against people 'over' tailgating. This drove away a lot of fans at a time when 70 inch high definition televisions became cheap and people realized they could just as easily stay home and watch from their couch without all the costs and hassles. Now they have realized to stop trying to punish all tailgaters for the misdeeds of a few, but it is too late for many.

Reactions: BC Hawk
Yes corporations/businesses buy chunks of tickets...but the seats are all filled at game time.

With that said, I'd trade sellouts for Iowa's lines in a heartbeat and twice on Saturdays

Only a quasi educated guess, but I believe it's in the neighborhood of 45kseason, 10k student, 4K opponent allocation....leaving in the neighborhood of 10k single game or mini packs

I figured the season ticket percentage would be higher

Yes corporations/businesses buy chunks of tickets...but the seats are all filled at game time.

With that said, I'd trade sellouts for Iowa's lines in a heartbeat and twice on Saturdays
Also, corporations buy chunks of tickets at almost every D1 school that is decent. Local businesses use them as selling tools. I too have heard that bullshit about how our streak is a sham because corporations buy tickets. But as you correctly point out, those seats have butts in them come game time. So there is nothing sham about it. Somebody bought the tickets. Those seats have bodies in them at game time. How is that a sham??

Night games are fun for the players and the students who have an excuse to get wasted earlier . Night games make for great viewing for those of us who invite a few friends in watch 6' teenagers (actually) 74" and skip the hassel before and after the game. Cold night games are even better to not attend

I think the sellout streak is a pretty big deal perception wise. Not sure I'd trade it for being 3-0 right now.

The sellout streak has been propped up for years. There was no doubt during the Callahan years that there were empty seats throughout the game. It will start once again. Companies, people of influence, etc. make sure the tickets are "purchased". Then they get handed out to clients, employees and others who could care less and don't show up. Hence, the ticket was sold, but the seat remains empty.

I think the sellout streak is a pretty big deal perception wise. Not sure I'd trade it for being 3-0 right now.
Step outside of the state and nobody talks about it – nor should they. A top 10 team is what gets conversation going, not a sellout streak. But in Husker land, it's literally the only last thing we have to cling to.

Also, corporations buy chunks of tickets at almost every D1 school that is decent. Local businesses use them as selling tools. I too have heard that bullshit about how our streak is a sham because corporations buy tickets. But as you correctly point out, those seats have butts in them come game time. So there is nothing sham about it. Somebody bought the tickets. Those seats have bodies in them at game time. How is that a sham??
I have never personally called it a sham. However, the athletic department leans hard on some to keep a 'streak' alive. They came to us (where I work) last year, and asked for us to purchase 24tickets on top of the 24 we have purchased for years b/c keeping the streak alive was important to the team, ADept, and state. We politely told them it wasn't important to us to give them any more money.

Step outside of the state and nobody talks about it – nor should they. A top 10 team is what gets conversation going, not a sellout streak. But in Husker land, it's literally the only last thing we have to cling to.

It's mentioned every time we play on TV and I bet it means something in recruiting. It speaks to our claim as the best fans in college football.

The sellout streak has been propped up for years. There was no doubt during the Callahan years that there were empty seats throughout the game. It will start once again. Companies, people of influence, etc. make sure the tickets are "purchased". Then they get handed out to clients, employees and others who could care less and don't show up. Hence, the ticket was sold, but the seat remains empty.

But the tickets are all sold before the season even starts. The only single-game tickets the university sells are those returned by the opposing team(s).

It's mentioned every time we play on TV and I bet it means something in recruiting. It speaks to our claim as the best fans in college football.
Also frequently mentioned when NU plays on TV: the Huskers' current W-L record and how long it's been since they last won a conference championship.

To each his own, but I'll trade the sellout streak in a heartbeat for a 3-0 record heading into conference play.

Reactions: WHCSC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT