ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa 1985 > Nebraska and Mike Riley era

It was my senior year at Creighton in 1985.

A sibling of two University of Iowa siblings ... my sister graduated, as Iowa football went 0-11 in FXL's last season (over 45 years ago) ... I headed West for university.

creighton-university-football-mat-27-diameter-401-fs-fan-5.jpg

She moved onto the State of Arizona 10 years earlier and married a Pac 12 Vikings fan. Double ugh!

I recall the 1985 Nebraska vs. Florida State opener. I have been a Iowa and Nebraska fan, since the Game of the Century. Though, I am a Hawkeye by birth. Choose Creighton over Iowa though ... good choice.

My first game freshman year at Creighton was of course Iowa @ Nebraska during the 1982 season. Omaha hometown boy Larry Station headed to Iowa City, as I headed to Omaha.

My grandfather was a native of Grand Island. I choose Creighton to reconnect with my NE roots. Roger Craig has always been one of my favorite Husker players. You know, an Iowa guy!

However, I have always spent the Holidays around the Cornhuskers, due to my love of Football and marrying a native Nebraskan.

In 1979, Iowa had a new coach and opened with Indiana. Later, played Iowa State, Nebraska and Oklahoma. Iowa was highly competitive in all 3 games they lost, despite a 5th or 6th string converted DB playing QB for Hayden Fry in his first season.

The BYU loss reminded me much of Hayden Fry's first September in Iowa City.

Mike Riley reminds me of a cross between Hayden Fry, Dr. Tom Osborne and Kirk Ferentz.

Will it work in Lincoln?

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwfkmmjhytnlztg3ndc2ymy3mjiynwm4ndcyowvhytq2.jpeg

Only time will tell. But, it should make for an interesting journey. Often, the best journeys in Life, are not easy. Dr. Tom Osborne had to overcome the OU rivalry. Losses in the Orange Bowl and like the 1985 opener at home vs. Florida State.

Around the Big Ten, it takes a quarterback for success. The Big Ten returns a lot of QBs, but there are struggles right now. QB play at many campuses is not going smooth. Look at Michigan, Penn State and Wisconsin for example. Of course, playmakers are all part of the equation, along with solid line play.

Michigan State looks to have a decent O-Line.

However, there is more needed, then just a QB play, as Temple 27, Penn State 10 highlighted.

Both Michigan, Nebraska and Wisconsin are welcoming new head coaches. They also need very good quarterback play. But, a solid rushing game, defense and special teams are all play an important role.

Utah, BYU and Alabama are pretty good programs.

My biggest concern with Mike Riley will be with the Blackshirts.

Here are some stats, like Kirk Ferentz?

Last three years: Mike Riley was 12-15 last 3 years. 19-26 last five years and 47-42 last 10 years in Pac 12 games. Unlike Kirk Ferentz, I don't recall 4 Top 8 finishes in the College Football Polls.

Of course, Pac 12 Football isn't Big Ten Football. One is 7-5 to open 2015, while the other right now is 7-6. Head to head, to no surprise, well, a little, Northwestern 16, Stanford 6 to open 2015.

Patience will be needed in Lincoln. The Bo Pelini era is done. Dr. Tom Osborne took nearly two decades to win at the top. However, Pelini wasn't worthy of holding on to.

Mike Riley doesn't have two decade, most likely. However, he deserves time to implement the renewal effort in Lincoln.

While Nebraska has a storied history in College Football. It doesn't come easy in today's landscape and the lack of an early signing period for programs like Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin makes keeping up with the talent rich states, in the populated states.

images

Welcome to the 120th season of Big Ten Football. Ohio State is clearly program to beat, though MSU will have a say. It has been 30 years ago, since 1 vs. 2 game (Iowa vs. Michigan) and QB Jim Harbaugh's big finish against Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl, as Bo Schembechler finished #2 for his highest finish ever.

images

It wouldn't be until 1997, for a #1 finish with Nebraska. How the time has passed by. It is good to see College Football kickoff.

peace

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT