ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa +10.5 vs Michigan

There is much truth in this....
But there is also truth in: where does PSU finish this season if Iowa doesn't hurt clifford? Iowa did the same to Penix as well. When you beat them their record isn't as good and have a lower finish.
I'm not saying we've had the schedule that Nebraska has but if you'd actually beat some of them their records wouldn't be as good and the BTN west looks better.
Yes...Iowa beating those teams IS what lowers their records. So it's not fair to say that Iowa never beats the top teams.

When is the last time Iowa's defense/offense/special teams gave up 28 points, let alone 31 points. It is possible, but either teams scoring 25 points or more?

Are you putting money on 25 points by Michigan?

I think the Under plays out, Iowa may pull out the win. Is it 44 points?

Last win, Hawkeyes were +21 point favorites against the #2 Michigan (9-0) team in 2016. Hawkeyes won on a walk-off FG basically. Not uncommon, since 2015, the last time Iowa was in the Big Ten Championship Game.

If the points are over 44, the odds move higher for the favored team.
  • 40 years ago, Hayden Fry hired Kirk Ferentz
  • First Rose Bowl season
  • Opened with a 10-7 win to open the 1981 season at Kinnick
  • The next year, I was in Lincoln for that one too!
  • Later that season, Iowa beat Michigan 9-7 in Ann Arbor
  • Kirk Ferentz is 7-5 in the series with Wolverines, won 5 of last 7
  • Last game, Michigan won 10-3 (2019) early in the Big Ten
Iowa will have to play a better game than the 4-0 November streak. Michigan is also 4-0, since they lost at Michigan State. Prior win for Michigan over Ohio State was 2011. Michigan finished 11-2 that season. Lost at Michigan State (who won the Legends division) and also lost to a 7-5 Iowa team, and finished 11-2 that season.

A 19-17 win by Iowa would put Michigan at 11-2 on the season. Why not!

It isn't like Iowa is in the habit of playing explosive teams. Look at the rest of Big Ten West. Which teams are known for offense? Purdue, kind of. Anyone else? Iowa State does not run a high flying offense.

I think Ohio State would drop 45+ on the Hawkeye's defense.

It isn't like Iowa is in the habit of playing explosive teams. Look at the rest of Big Ten West. Which teams are known for offense? Purdue, kind of. Anyone else? Iowa State does not run a high flying offense.

I would rather iowa play osu than Michigan. Jeff Brohm's offense is what gives iowa problems not passing in general. Iowa generally plays OSU well.
OSU puts those numbers up agains mentally weak teams that give up. That is not iowa's mo.

Ioway generally never plays Ohio St…Be my guest and look it up..
It’s almost as if they don’t know their own history. It’s bizarre how little football knowledge they have. Maybe that’s why they have such a bad reputation regarding discussing actual football related topics. They tend to make a lot of stuff up it seems.

You might be right. We won't find out this year, since they play Michigan tomorrow.

I posted this earlier this week:

Iowa hasn't beaten a top team from the East in the last four seasons. They crushed Ohio State in Iowa City in 2017, a year the Hawkeyes played the same type of schedule Nebraska played this year, against the three best teams in the East. Iowa went 1-2 in those games in 2017 and 5-4 overall in the conference.

Here are the results of Iowa's crossover games since then:
Penn State, 4th place in the East, 7-5 overall (Iowa W)
Maryland, 5th place, 6-6 (W)
Indiana, 7th, 2-10 (W)
Penn State, 3rd place, 4-5 (W)
Michigan State, 7th, 2-5 (W)
Penn State, 2nd, 11-2 (Iowa L)
Michigan, 3rd, 9-4 (L)
Rutgers, 7th, 2-10 (W)
Penn State, 3rd, 9-4, (L)
Maryland, 5th, 5-7 (W)
Indiana, 6th, 5-7 (W)

That means the best win Iowa has against an East team in the last four years was a victory over third-place PSU in 2020, when the Lions finished with a losing record. The victory over PSU this year looked kinda good when it happened (Clifford going down took some of the shine off that), but PSU was nowhere near as good as the three top 12 teams that finished 1-2-3 in the East (coincidentally the three teams Nebraska lost to because we suck).

Recent history says Iowa won't beat a good team from the East. I will be happy for my neighbors if the Hawkeyes win, but we have zero evidence that they're ready to beat a really good team.
I don’t think Iowa wins but what does this have to do with the game tomorrow night? Iowa has played four East teams with winning records in your span. The three losses were by one score with two being on the road. (They really should have won in PSU in 2018). But I think anything before this season has as much to do with tomorrow night as Iowa taking OSU to the woodshed in 2017. Zero.

When is the last time Iowa's defense/offense/special teams gave up 28 points, let alone 31 points. It is possible, but either teams scoring 25 points or more?

Are you putting money on 25 points by Michigan?

I think the Under plays out, Iowa may pull out the win. Is it 44 points?

Last win, Hawkeyes were +21 point favorites against the #2 Michigan (9-0) team in 2016. Hawkeyes won on a walk-off FG basically. Not uncommon, since 2015, the last time Iowa was in the Big Ten Championship Game.

If the points are over 44, the odds move higher for the favored team.
  • 40 years ago, Hayden Fry hired Kirk Ferentz
  • First Rose Bowl season
  • Opened with a 10-7 win to open the 1981 season at Kinnick
  • The next year, I was in Lincoln for that one too!
  • Later that season, Iowa beat Michigan 9-7 in Ann Arbor
  • Kirk Ferentz is 7-5 in the series with Wolverines, won 5 of last 7
  • Last game, Michigan won 10-3 (2019) early in the Big Ten
Iowa will have to play a better game than the 4-0 November streak. Michigan is also 4-0, since they lost at Michigan State. Prior win for Michigan over Ohio State was 2011. Michigan finished 11-2 that season. Lost at Michigan State (who won the Legends division) and also lost to a 7-5 Iowa team, and finished 11-2 that season.

A 19-17 win by Iowa would put Michigan at 11-2 on the season. Why not!

Iowa escaped a handicapped Nebraska team a week ago. Why would they turn around and beat Michigan? Won't happen.

The only way I see Iowa gaining the upper hand is through their normal game plan this year: first don’t turn ball over and give the opposition good field position, no harm if Iowa drives to the 50 and stalls out because they plan to have Tory Taylor punts downed near MI goal line, making them drive the length of the field for all their points. Hopefully 2-3 of those Michigan drives will end up in a turnover, or a shanked punt or a punt return deep into Michigan territory.

Over the years you would have won a lot of money on Iowa if you bet them when they were double digit dogs and bet against them as double digit favorites.

• Love
Reactions: BC Hawk
I never figured out how and why the BTen does their scheduling (cross division). Never made any sense. All you can do is play the teams on your schedule.
This cycle, Wisconsin and Nebraska get the best of East based on expected TV ratings/interest. Based on recent history, iowa and Wisconsin should get the best of the East in the next cycle. We’ll see how it shakes out.

I just bet $25 on the Hawks, FanDuel now has Iowa +13.5, Figured what the hell.
You'll know at the end of the 1st Half if you're going to win...or, not. You can make/lose a lot of $$$ by betting the 2nd Half during the Half time show.

Honest question what’s the juice for a $25 loser?

Straight no vig bet is -100, Vig on this particular bet -114. This is on FanDuel, It really fluctuates from bet to bet, Normally in the 10-15% range, Just like if I would win the actual payout would not be 25, 21.60 IIRC.

No program chokes more than Michigan, and that is doubly true under Harbaugh. Iowa is the perfect trap game for them. I could see this going very badly for UM.

• Haha
Reactions: PharmD Blue
ADVERTISEMENT