ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa +10.5 vs Michigan

Michigan is definitely more than 11 points better than Iowa, but there is the possible letdown factor. As a bettor I'm staying away, but I'll predict Michigan 28-10.

Reactions: Anegada1 and WHCSC
Hargod finally gets this 800lb gorilla off his back and wins the B1G conference title....then bolts for another job. OK, not real convicted about my second prediction but would love to see it.

Reactions: Anegada1
Michigan is definitely more than 11 points better than Iowa, but there is the possible letdown factor. As a bettor I'm staying away, but I'll predict Michigan 28-10.

Iowa may have a slight advantage in special teams.
Michigan may have a slight advantage in defense.
Michigan definitely has a huge advantage in offense.

Reactions: steelclaw
I like Iowa there. Michigan gave it all to OSU. I expect another close loss from Iowa.

There’s a simple recipe for beating iowa this season. Don’t give up a special teams TD, no more than 1 turnover and said turnover cannot go for points (pick 6 etc..). If Michigan avoids all three of those, they win by at least 2 TDs, if Michigan avoids 2 out of three, they win by 3-7 points, but if Michigan allows all three of those the game will be close at the end giving iowa a chance.

Reactions: Kingslyfishao
I hope Iowa is ready to play a true national power, just in the interest of a close and good game. But the problem with playing ISU every year and somehow missing the best teams in the East is that the Hawkeyes haven't even seen a top-ranked opponent, let alone beaten one, in four years. Iowa has some great players — most notably Tyler Linderbaum and Jack Campbell — but Michigan has 10 guys like that.

Iowa 7
Purdue 24

Iowa 7
Wisconsin 27

what are those called? Iowa has 0 ranked wins
Hawk fan here. Those games felt even worse than the scores indicate. The Hawks are definitely crushable, but they tend to get up for big games. It's a long shot, but if they can somehow hold Michigan to field goals, force a couple of turnovers, and play almost flawless ball, then they have a shot. Looking forward to Saturday!

I hope Iowa is ready to play a true national power, just in the interest of a close and good game. But the problem with playing ISU every year and somehow missing the best teams in the East is that the Hawkeyes haven't even seen a top-ranked opponent, let alone beaten one, in four years. Iowa has some great players — most notably Tyler Linderbaum and Jack Campbell — but Michigan has 10 guys like that.
I think they've played PSU every year the last 4 years. PSU rated top 5 2x and rated 1 other. PSU has been a top 2 east team 2x and 3rd 2x the past 4 years.

Played michigan 1 and OSU 1. Michigan has finished 2,3,4 and 5th the past 4 years. They have not been good and Iowa missed them 3 times. Not to Iowa's advantage.
Beat OSU 55-24 when rated 3rd. We have lucked out missing them but we are 1-0 against them in that time. What about everyone else in the BTN east/west?

Michigan by 90. Iowa has no offense and Michigan has CFP on the line. Oh yeah, and F Iowa. Forever pretenders. And hopefully Keagan Johnson gets lit up like a Christmas tree going over the middle on one of their famous "3 yard slant" patterns they run.

Heard an interview a few days ago and some of our players were quoted saying Michigan was by far the best team they played this year.

I'm taking Michigan 41-27 with iowa kicking 4 fg

I think they've played PSU every year the last 4 years. PSU rated top 5 2x and rated 1 other. PSU has been a top 2 east team 2x and 3rd 2x the past 4 years.

Played michigan 1 and OSU 1. Michigan has finished 2,3,4 and 5th the past 4 years. They have not been good and Iowa missed them 3 times. Not to Iowa's advantage.
Beat OSU 55-24 when rated 3rd. We have lucked out missing them but we are 1-0 against them in that time. What about everyone else in the BTN east/west?
We've played OSU every year and sometimes was scheduled 2 times. 🤪

Who you got?

I have the game Michigan 31 Iowa 17.

When is the last time Iowa's defense/offense/special teams gave up 28 points, let alone 31 points. It is possible, but either teams scoring 25 points or more?

Are you putting money on 25 points by Michigan?

I think the Under plays out, Iowa may pull out the win. Is it 44 points?

Last win, Hawkeyes were +21 point favorites against the #2 Michigan (9-0) team in 2016. Hawkeyes won on a walk-off FG basically. Not uncommon, since 2015, the last time Iowa was in the Big Ten Championship Game.

If the points are over 44, the odds move higher for the favored team.
  • 40 years ago, Hayden Fry hired Kirk Ferentz
  • First Rose Bowl season
  • Opened with a 10-7 win to open the 1981 season at Kinnick
  • The next year, I was in Lincoln for that one too!
  • Later that season, Iowa beat Michigan 9-7 in Ann Arbor
  • Kirk Ferentz is 7-5 in the series with Wolverines, won 5 of last 7
  • Last game, Michigan won 10-3 (2019) early in the Big Ten
Iowa will have to play a better game than the 4-0 November streak. Michigan is also 4-0, since they lost at Michigan State. Prior win for Michigan over Ohio State was 2011. Michigan finished 11-2 that season. Lost at Michigan State (who won the Legends division) and also lost to a 7-5 Iowa team, and finished 11-2 that season.

A 19-17 win by Iowa would put Michigan at 11-2 on the season. Why not!

I posted this earlier this week:

Iowa hasn't beaten a top team from the East in the last four seasons. They crushed Ohio State in Iowa City in 2017, a year the Hawkeyes played the same type of schedule Nebraska played this year, against the three best teams in the East. Iowa went 1-2 in those games in 2017 and 5-4 overall in the conference.

Here are the results of Iowa's crossover games since then:
Penn State, 4th place in the East, 7-5 overall (Iowa W)
Maryland, 5th place, 6-6 (W)
Indiana, 7th, 2-10 (W)
Penn State, 3rd place, 4-5 (W)
Michigan State, 7th, 2-5 (W)
Penn State, 2nd, 11-2 (Iowa L)
Michigan, 3rd, 9-4 (L)
Rutgers, 7th, 2-10 (W)
Penn State, 3rd, 9-4, (L)
Maryland, 5th, 5-7 (W)
Indiana, 6th, 5-7 (W)

That means the best win Iowa has against an East team in the last four years was a victory over third-place PSU in 2020, when the Lions finished with a losing record. The victory over PSU this year looked kinda good when it happened (Clifford going down took some of the shine off that), but PSU was nowhere near as good as the three top 12 teams that finished 1-2-3 in the East (coincidentally the three teams Nebraska lost to because we suck).

Recent history says Iowa won't beat a good team from the East. I will be happy for my neighbors if the Hawkeyes win, but we have zero evidence that they're ready to beat a really good team.

Last edited:
I posted this earlier this week:

Iowa hasn't beaten a top team from the East in the last four seasons. They crushed Ohio State in Iowa City in 2017, a year the Hawkeyes played the same type of schedule Nebraska played this year, against the three best teams in the East. Iowa went 1-2 in those games in 2017 and 5-4 overall in the conference.

Here are the results of Iowa's crossover games since then:
Penn State, 4th place in the East, 7-5 overall (Iowa W)
Maryland, 5th place, 6-6 (W)
Indiana, 7th, 2-10 (W)
Penn State, 3rd place, 4-5 (W)
Michigan State, 7th, 2-5 (W)
Penn State, 2nd, 11-2 (Iowa L)
Michigan, 3rd, 9-4 (L)
Rutgers, 7th, 2-10 (W)
Penn State, 3rd, 9-4, (L)
Maryland, 5th, 5-7 (W)
Indiana, 6th, 5-7 (W)

That means the best win Iowa has against an East team in the last four years was a victory over third-place PSU in 2020, when the Lions finished with a losing record. The victory over PSU this year looked kinda good when it happened (Clifford going down took some of the shine off that), but PSU was nowhere near as good as the three top 12 teams that finished 1-2-3 in the East (coincidentally the three teams Nebraska lost to because we suck).

Recent history says Iowa won't beat a good team from the East. I will be happy for my neighbors if the Hawkeyes win, but we have zero evidence that they're ready to beat a really good team.
There is much truth in this....
But there is also truth in: where does PSU finish this season if Iowa doesn't hurt clifford? Iowa did the same to Penix as well. When you beat them their record isn't as good and have a lower finish.
I'm not saying we've had the schedule that Nebraska has but if you'd actually beat some of them their records wouldn't be as good and the BTN west looks better.

When is the last time Iowa's defense/offense/special teams gave up 28 points, let alone 31 points. It is possible, but either teams scoring 25 points or more?

Are you putting money on 25 points by Michigan?

I think the Under plays out, Iowa may pull out the win. Is it 44 points?

Last win, Hawkeyes were +21 point favorites against the #2 Michigan (9-0) team in 2016. Hawkeyes won on a walk-off FG basically. Not uncommon, since 2015, the last time Iowa was in the Big Ten Championship Game.

If the points are over 44, the odds move higher for the favored team.
  • 40 years ago, Hayden Fry hired Kirk Ferentz
  • First Rose Bowl season
  • Opened with a 10-7 win to open the 1981 season at Kinnick
  • The next year, I was in Lincoln for that one too!
  • Later that season, Iowa beat Michigan 9-7 in Ann Arbor
  • Kirk Ferentz is 7-5 in the series with Wolverines, won 5 of last 7
  • Last game, Michigan won 10-3 (2019) early in the Big Ten
Iowa will have to play a better game than the 4-0 November streak. Michigan is also 4-0, since they lost at Michigan State. Prior win for Michigan over Ohio State was 2011. Michigan finished 11-2 that season. Lost at Michigan State (who won the Legends division) and also lost to a 7-5 Iowa team, and finished 11-2 that season.

A 19-17 win by Iowa would put Michigan at 11-2 on the season. Why not!
Iowa is the 5th best team in the B1G despite thier record, based on their schedule. It won’t be close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT