ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa’s best LB opts out

Hahaha suck on that Suckeyes.

that’s their top 2 LBs and teams leading tacklers from last season out for the 2020 season. That’s Colbert LB and K Welch LB, along with Geno Stone DB, AJ Epenesa DE (the biggest hit), M Ojemudia DB, C Lattimore DT and Brady Reiff DT. That’s their top LBs, top Dline and top DBs gone. Their defense will still be solid to good still but it won’t be anything like it was in 2018 or 2019.

Last edited:
Reactions: GMDYBBY
that’s their top 2 LBs and teams leading tacklers from last season out for the 2020 season. That’s Colbert LB and K Welch LB, along with Geno Stone DB, AJ Epenesa DE (the biggest hit), M Ojemudia DB, C Lattimore DT and Brady Reiff DT. That’s their top LBs, top Dline and top DBs gone. There defense will still be solid to good but it won’t be anything like it was in 2018 or 2019.
I agree. I honestly think their offense will be their best unit in 2020. The have some pretty good WR’s, Goodson looks impressive, and like always under KF, the O-line looks good. I hate to say it but they probably will win the West if Their QB is at least above average.

I agree. I honestly think their offense will be their best unit in 2020. The have some pretty good WR’s, Goodson looks impressive, and like always under KF, the O-line looks good. I hate to say it but they probably will win the West if Their QB is at least above average.

that’s just it, they lost a 3 year (maybe 4 year) starting QB in Nate Stanley and the QB behind him hasn't taken crap for live snaps. They have a couple solid WRs but what good is that if the QB isn’t humming along.

Another plus, even with Nate Stanley and 2 first round draft pick TEs and Olinemen over the years, their offense is always ranked down into the 80s to 90s in the country. Their offense is never scary.

that’s their top 2 LBs and teams leading tacklers from last season out for the 2020 season. That’s Colbert LB and K Welch LB, along with Geno Stone DB, AJ Epenesa DE (the biggest hit), M Ojemudia DB, C Lattimore DT and Brady Reiff DT. That’s their top LBs, top Dline and top DBs gone. There defense will still be solid to good but it won’t be anything like it was in 2018 or 2019.
Iowa tends to overachieve when they lose their good players. We'll see.

They’ll probably still beat us. And that makes no one more upset than myself.
I have to say I disagree. Yes, we could still lose to them, the Iowa game is never a give me win. But we barely lost the last 2 seasons with Iowa having all that NFL talent all over the roster and during year 1 and 2 of Frosts tenure by last second FGs.

This year we should turn that corner with the returning production we have and the level of talent we have brought in. If we can’t beat them now, we are in serious trouble.

If we play smart, disciplined football we beat Iowa the past two years. That's literally all Nebraska will ever need to do to beat that racist-protecting institution out there in Waterloo or Pella or wherever that place is.

If we play smart, disciplined football we beat Iowa the past two years. That's literally all Nebraska will ever need to do to beat that racist-protecting institution out there in Waterloo or Pella or wherever that place is.
East Coralville.

grad transferring somewhere a little less klan-ish
But couldn't he do that any way next year even if he played this year? I thought this year didn't count toward losing a year of eligibility. The only thing would be IF he didn't have enough confidence in himself that he could graduate while also playing.

But couldn't he do that any way next year even if he played this year? I thought this year didn't count toward losing a year of eligibility. The only thing would be IF he didn't have enough confidence in himself that he could graduate while also playing.
could be a million things (injury, needing a ton of credits, doesn't like football that much, family stuff, etc.)

if the ncaa is letting players do things outside of playing for kurt ferentz or whomever without penalty, I wouldn't be surprised if more take the year off to try and put themselves in a different situation.

Hmm seems odd. I get training for NFL, but why would you opt out if you plan on coming back next year.

He had surgery on his shoulder in January. He spoke of not playing in 2020, due to pandemic.

Best LB?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">PICK SIX DAGGER FOR IOWA🎥<br><br>Nick Niemann ices the game for the Hawkeyes, as they rout USC!<a href="https://t.co/qLFXPczmQ5">pic.twitter.com/qLFXPczmQ5</a></p>&mdash; PointsBet Iowa (@PointsBetIA) <a href="">December 28, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sorry, incoming senior Nick Niemann took Dijmon Colbert's position during the USC game. Niemann, like his brother who plays in the NFL, has more upside heading into 2020.

Colbert had a great game in 2018 against Iowa State, but played last season injured.

Niemann had a very good sack against ISU in 2018. He closed on Iowa's scoring in the 49-24 win over USC in the Holiday Bowl. Depth at LB could be a concern in 2020 for Iowa, but Niemann, senior Barrington Wade and sophomore Jack Campbell have been projected at all 3 Iowa LB positions, when Iowa goes 4-3, rather then base 4-2-5 using a Cash.

He had surgery on his shoulder in January. He spoke of not playing in 2020, due to pandemic.

Best LB?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">PICK SIX DAGGER FOR IOWA🎥<br><br>Nick Niemann ices the game for the Hawkeyes, as they rout USC!<a href="https://t.co/qLFXPczmQ5">pic.twitter.com/qLFXPczmQ5</a></p>&mdash; PointsBet Iowa (@PointsBetIA) <a href=" ">December 28, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sorry, incoming senior Nick Niemann took Dijmon Colbert's position during the USC game. Niemann, like his brother who plays in the NFL, has more upside heading into 2020.

Colbert had a great game in 2018 against Iowa State, but played last season injured.

Niemann had a very good sack against ISU in 2018. He closed on Iowa's scoring in the 49-24 win over USC in the Holiday Bowl. Depth at LB could be a concern in 2020 for Iowa, but Niemann, senior Barrington Wade and sophomore Jack Campbell have been projected at all 3 Iowa LB positions, when Iowa goes 4-3, rather then base 4-2-5 using a Cash.

He gone.

Best LB?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">PICK SIX DAGGER FOR IOWA🎥<br><br>Nick Niemann ices the game for the Hawkeyes, as they rout USC!<a href="https://t.co/qLFXPczmQ5">pic.twitter.com/qLFXPczmQ5</a></p>&mdash; PointsBet Iowa (@PointsBetIA) <a href=" ">December 28, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We are f$&@ed again! Man the suckeyes suck! They are the most racist team on the planet!! GBR

I have to say I disagree. Yes, we could still lose to them, the Iowa game is never a give me win. But we barely lost the last 2 seasons with Iowa having all that NFL talent all over the roster and during year 1 and 2 of Frosts tenure by last second FGs.

This year we should turn that corner with the returning production we have and the level of talent we have brought in. If we can’t beat them now, we are in serious trouble.
You seriously think we will beat Iowa? I think we will be improved but Iowa is still a good team.

You seriously think we will beat Iowa? I think we will be improved but Iowa is still a good team.

Yes I do. Iowa barely beat us last year and the year before that. They had to literally pull off back to back last second FGs just to escape with a win both years and that’s year 1 and 2. We are now going on year 3 and we are in much better shape then we been in for several years now.

This season the Huskers will have much better run game with that Oline and D Mills at RB. We also have an experienced QB in A Martinez that I believe bounces back this season and we have a deep, talented Secondary that can match up with their WRs.

So yes, yes I do believe we can beat them. 6 points combined equals the difference in score board from the past 2 years and this years Iowa team will be nothing like last years Iowa team that’s now missing AJ Epenesa, T Wirfs, Nate Stanley, their top 2 LBs and team leading tacklers, their best 2 DBs, both starting DTs and few others. They lost a lot over the last 2 seasons.

So again, yes, we most definitely could and can beat them. They are not the OSU Buckeyes, PSU or even Wisconsin....

Last edited:
I agree but what do we know about our team? I expect us to improve but I think we need one more year before we put it all together. I think this a 5-5 team which would be an awesome improvement especially against this schedule.

you are still viewing Iowa like OSU, Wisconsin and PSU. They are a solid team, no doubt and should still be solid this year. But they will no doubt take a step backwards this year as they lost a lot. How much backwards is left to be seen.

that’s just it, they lost a 3 year (maybe 4 year) starting QB in Nate Stanley and the QB behind him hasn't taken crap for live snaps. They have a couple solid WRs but what good is that if the QB isn’t humming along.

Another plus, even with Nate Stanley and 2 first round draft pick TEs and Olinemen over the years, their offense is always ranked down into the 80s to 90s in the country. Their offense is never scary.

Their offense numbers are never going to be good with the style they play so you have to look at it objectively as they care less about yards and more about TOP

you are still viewing Iowa like OSU, Wisconsin and PSU. They are a solid team, no doubt and should still be solid this year. But they will no doubt take a step backwards this year as they lost a lot. How much backwards is left to be seen.

Iowa has some holes to fill no doubt but think they are in position to do so. Big question is if Petras is a gamer or not. Stanley was solid, not a gamer.

I agree but what do we know about our team? I expect us to improve but I think we need one more year before we put it all together. I think this a 5-5 team which would be an awesome improvement especially against this schedule.
Totally agree. It's completely pointless to try and evaluate Nebraska vs Iowa "right now". The only relevant question is whether Nebraska is still competitive or has folded the tent on another disappointing season by the time Iowa rolls around. It's totally within the realm of possibility that we start 0-4 unless things have seriously changed, so pardon me if the Iowa talk seems premature. I want to believe that we're better, and there are reason to think so as Huskerssalts argues, but I want to see it.

2 starting LBers they were counting on, gone: Dillon Doyle (transfer) and Colbert (grades or unreported injury I'm guessing). Ourlads has yet to figure out the depth chart. With a new QB they'll need their defense to pick up the slack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT