ADVERTISEMENT

Internal Concern

I don’t want to be too negative but we are in a very fragile state. I’m talking 2007 season fragile. I really don’t want to relive 2007 as a fan.
You really have no way of knowing that, you just know how you feel. I’m not trying to be rude, but we have had posts like this after almost every single loss the last 3 years (see Purdue and Minnesota last year as examples). Yet, the kids keep showing up and competing.

Last edited:
Reactions: wkato and WHCSC
You really have no way of knowing that, you just know how you feel. I’m not trying to be rude, but we have had posts like this after almost every single loss the last 3 years (see Purdue and Minnesota last year as examples). Yet, the kids Jew showing up and competing.

By 2007 I didn’t mean we’re blowing it up and getting rid of the head coach. I know people close to the program and the vibe in Lincoln is not well right now. That’s all I’ll say.

Frost is a likable dude, however, he is a “players coach” and discipline is lacking, need strong leadership from players to offset

By 2007 I didn’t mean we’re blowing it up and getting rid of the head coach. I know people close to the program and the vibe in Lincoln is not well right now. That’s all I’ll say.

The vibe shouldn’t be good losing by 18 points when your favored to win by 2TD and get embarrassed...

Reactions: WHCSC and Chuck003
Pretty amazing considering Frost played under Osborne and witnessed the results of how he managed practices and his team. You would have thought he would have bookmarked a few ideas and implemented it into his own.
You do realize it was on Tom’s watch when the Peters boys were crapping on kids in the shower. Let’s not paint TO as the perfect Coach here. 85% of Husker fans wanted his ass fired until the 94 Title.

There are 110 guys on the team. 110 personalities. They don’t all need to get along all the time. However, it is clear they do lack a fight for each other which is a major concern. Especially all the sports psychologists we have it’s like they don’t have that killer instinct. Maybe they have taken on the personality of thief coordinators which is laid back and monotone.

I’ve also seen immature IG videos of players on this team. I know kids will be kids so my beef with it isn’t with them. It’s with the coaches and the captains. I’ve seen a lot of jacking around despite horrible play on the field. It’s not the end of the world but it does show a laid back vibe amongst players that are publicly being criticized for their lack of focus and urgency.

It's like they are OK with losing. That bugs me.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Tell us more about the Peters brothers. You seem like a wealth of knowledge about Nebraska football.
I’ve heard from several former players during that time period the the Peter’s Boys were unhinged. 85% is probably high, but TO was not real popular headed into the 90s, a lot of people saying the game had passed him.

Reactions: bshirt73
The golden boy comes back to Lincoln where he is practically anointed by the local media. I’m still sitting here laughing my rear off at the comic book. Even more serious was him and his junior high staff coming in and trashing Riley’s staff, telling everyone who would listen that all we needed to do was squat and Scott would sprinkle magical fairy dust on it all.

It shouldn’t be a shock that we have a team that has no discipline when the man we have as their leader has none himself. In year three see more comical errors due to lack of discipline than anything else.

The golden boy comes back to Lincoln where he is practically anointed by the local media. I’m still sitting here laughing my rear off at the comic book. Even more serious was him and his junior high staff coming in and trashing Riley’s staff, telling everyone who would listen that all we needed to do was squat and Scott would sprinkle magical fairy dust on it all.

It shouldn’t be a shock that we have a team that has no discipline when the man we have as their leader has none himself. In year three see more comical errors due to lack of discipline than anything else.

You are right. No discipline. I mean, who could watch that garbage.

Welcome back.

It’s been one of my pet peeves in year 3 and without any fans too boot not to mention still pushing in the back 50% of the punt returns, but then again we have no special team coach or it’s done by committee...

Cool story. Any intel on Grant Winstrom or maybe Tom Osbourn.
I used to ride on the elevator in my dorm with Grant quite a bit because his brother Tracey was a freshman on my floor. Could actually chat with him. Always liked Grant. As for Tom, I’m still pissed at him for retiring, he had another good 15 years in him, at least.

Where the hell have you been? I quit posting when this became the covid/mask/Trump/Biden board, but put my toe back in the water now that there is actually football. I haven't seen you posting in a while. I liked the PC today when Frost was asked what his favorite Thanksgiving dish is and he said cranberry sauce. Anyway, it really sucks that the LJS and OWH reporters don't ask Frost any needed and tough questions. Don't worry Jaw, it is a matter of time before they turn on him.

We mustache the question, is Kade really the guy we want leading the team?
Even though he's put up virtually identical numbers to Omar Manning, I'd say yes. Resoundingly. Did you see what he had on his upper lip earlier this season? That kind of dedication doesn't just happen.

• Haha
Reactions: TheNewNU
have other teams that have got off the mat recently had to resort to hazing to get better?
probably not.
think its more coaching ability and player buy-in.
you know a fan-base is restless when they drill down into uniforms, social media, coaching sideline attire, and facial hair.
maybe a little fan apathy could alleviate the 'microscope'.

Reactions: headcard
I do wish we had a DC or some assistant coach who I could take seriously and know that he would enforce hell on some kids. We have all player coaches. Sounds good in theory but we need a coach who gets on people.

The kids seem to be having a good time if nothing else.

Who has a good time losing? Losing sucks. I dont care if its the national championship or playing spades at the family table. Losing sucks. You should never have fun losing. Thats the problem in this country, oh its ok to get piss pounded by a shitty team, here is your trophy Billy.

I do wish we had a DC or some assistant coach who I could take seriously and know that he would enforce hell on some kids. We have all player coaches. Sounds good in theory but we need a coach who gets on people.
You haven't been paying attention to what happens to coaches who do that. The current generation of college students and athletes have inspired whole conferences among educators with their entitled attitudes. I wouldn't want to have to try to manage all of the personalities and "brand" builders on a football team. Losing sucks and isn't exactly good for trying to build chemistry.

Reactions: gw2kpro and WHCSC
Frost is a likable dude, however, he is a “players coach” and discipline is lacking, need strong leadership from players to offset
He’s likable in a hero worship sort of way. Analogous to a recent high profile election, there are many with contrarian views. Much like the election, some don’t care, some are apologists, some look past things hoping for a promise to come through, and many are leaving the flock

You haven't been paying attention to what happens to coaches who do that. The current generation of college students and athletes have inspired whole conferences among educators with their entitled attitudes. I wouldn't want to have to try to manage all of the personalities and "brand" builders on a football team. Losing sucks and isn't exactly good for trying to build chemistry.
Before I retired I was regarded as a hard ass by the young kids at work. A throw back to a bygone era and soon my kind would retire from the modern workplace. I'd chew on guys with swear words when they were late or not appropriately dressed for the situation, etc. Same with the gals minus the profanity. Funny thing is the month I retired kid after kid stopped by to tell me how I (positively) affected their lives, put them on the right path, showed them the way, etc. I was shocked there was so much love there, I figured at best they didn't like me and was glad I was leaving and at worse, hated me.

Just like when we were kids, kids nowadays want to be shown the way. Problem is adults don't have the stones to show them because they want to be liked, not respected.

Have you not paid attention to the most successful coaches and how they handle things? Do you think Saban or Dabo allow crap like that to stop them? They run fairly tight ships, in different ways, and are successful. Players don't mind being chewed out and held accountable by those types, because they know that they have been wildly successful coaches and that by learning from those coaches they have a chance to continue their play past college in some instances.

Reactions: oldjar07
What's wrong with having a little fun? Oh yeah....
corey-mckeon1.jpg

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
After the wildly undisciplined Riley years, we needed a hard-ass coach to come in and instill discipline.

Frost was the wrong personality at the wrong time. He's a guy you can hire when there is already discipline in the program - like George O'Leary established at UCF. His personality and style of play is not conducive to changing a soft culture.

We needed a Matt Campbell-type. That guy flipped a soft culture quickly. He starting by making every player show up at least 10 minutes early to every meeting, practice, class, tutoring appointment, etc. Sit in the front row of every class. You have to be disciplined in the little things first.

Last edited:
After the wildly undisciplined Riley years, we needed a hard-ass coach to come in and instill discipline.

Frost was the wrong personality at the wrong time. He's a guy you can hire when there is already discipline in the program - like George O'Leary established at UCF. His personality and style of play is not conducive to changing a soft culture.

We needed a Matt Campbell-type. That guy flipped a soft culture quickly. He starting by making every player show up at least 10 minutes early to every meeting, practice, class, tutoring appointment, etc. Sit in the front row of every class. You have to be disciplined in the little things first.
I would pay top dollar for Matt Campbell. What that guy could do with some resources.

You do realize it was on Tom’s watch when the Peters boys were crapping on kids in the shower. Let’s not paint TO as the perfect Coach here. 85% of Husker fans wanted his ass fired until the 94 Title.
I have no idea what went on in the locker room. This day and age, shitting on each other in the shower is probably considered an artful expression. Maybe some player’s were identifying as toilets, so the Peter brothers might have been ahead of their time.

All I know is TO’s teams on game day were tough, prepared, and disciplined. And as a result, they won A LOT of games.

Reactions: The Bearded One
Have you not paid attention to the most successful coaches and how they handle things? Do you think Saban or Dabo allow crap like that to stop them? They run fairly tight ships, in different ways, and are successful. Players don't mind being chewed out and held accountable by those types, because they know that they have been wildly successful coaches and that by learning from those coaches they have a chance to continue their play past college in some instances.
Bo ran a tight ship. That didn't work out so well.

Bo ran a tight ship. That didn't work out so well.
But he had a handful of players remain loyal to him. So clearly discipline can have the same effect as "befriending" the players. Less downsides too probably...

It's time for an associate head coach who can do the hard job of that, or relinquish play calling duties so Frost can focus on that aspect more.

ADVERTISEMENT