ADVERTISEMENT

Internal Concern

CatColumbia

All-American
Apr 19, 2014
One day in Lincoln, the next day in Orlando
Not sure if this has been brought up but a big concern of mine is the internal discipline from our players, specifically on the offense.
This past Friday, our freshman receiver from Florida was taping a video via Instagram where it showed him throwing other player's jerseys/shoes on the ground. He did this to various players like Wandale, Cam Taylor, etc.

The players appeared annoyed at him but nothing was done, I guess because it was live.
Very immature if you ask me. Now, my question is, where is the senior leadership to set this kid straight? Does this kid think he can come in and act the way he does? Where are the coaches? Is this how we are supposed to be focused a night before a game? This might have been addressed since then and I hope it has.

I remember when Frost first came in he said that the previous regime did not hold accountable the players for being disciplined and that he wanted to bring that now. I remember he specifically said when we got drilled by Michigan, the plane was littered with trash and that he wasn't going to allow that to happen again. Again, I'm not throwing this kid under the bus but if we want to be a disciplined team, we can't let a freshman come in and impose his immature/punk ways.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that one of our Captains, Kade Warner is used as the enforcer on the team. I can't believe he allows this.

Reactions: 1954
So we know about this, and Scott doesn't? IIRC Scott was subject to the usual hazing and witnessed what it takes to grow into a leadership role as a player. Hmmm..

You can make fun of this, but, CatColumbia is right. there are serious issues with this team, what he referenced is an indication of what goes on behind closed doors.

Guys, I really hope I'm wrong but I think the train is about to run off the rails. Maybe we beat Iowa and the program takes off. But nothing, and I mean nothing, is trending in a positive direction.

So we know about this, and Scott doesn't? IIRC Scott was subject to the usual hazing and witnessed what it takes to grow into a leadership role as a player. Hmmm..

He's got so much on his plate, he has assistants that should take care of this. My thing is, this same kid has been video taping up until gametime for weeks.. So they either know and choose to do nothing about it or they are completely oblivious.

Last edited:
He's got so much on his plate, he has assistants that should take care of this. My thing is, this same kid has been video taping up until gametime for weeks.. So they either know or choose to do nothing about it or they are completely oblivious.
no, he has CAPTAINS that should take care of this shit. Pretty sure Wistrom or Peter would just knock him the **** out if they were on the team.

If they were undefeated we'd think it was hilarious.

As far as them not doing anything while a guy is live streaming, that's wise of them. He gets his ass beat while that's still rolling and congrats, you just broadcast an assault.

I'm sure in a locker room of 100 dudes a lot of fights and BS still go on, but it's not the 80s any more where you could just beat up dudes and hit them with paddles and whip their nuts or whatever weird, homoerotic stuff passed for "paying your dues" back then.

The story goes that the linemen in the 90s used to stick pins or tacks or staples or something into dudes' backs just because they thought it was funny, possibly during meetings. That the sort of focus and respect we're looking for?

If you spend your days watching what kids in 2020 do through the filter of the era you think had it right, you're gonna have a bad time.

Not sure if this has been brought up but a big concern of mine is the internal discipline from our players, specifically on the offense.
This past Friday, our freshman receiver from Florida was taping a video via Instagram where it showed him throwing other player's jerseys/shoes on the ground. He did this to various players like Wandale, Cam Taylor, etc.

The players appeared annoyed at him but nothing was done, I guess because it was live.
Very immature if you ask me. Now, my question is, where is the senior leadership to set this kid straight? Does this kid think he can come in and act the way he does? Where are the coaches? Is this how we are supposed to be focused a night before a game? This might have been addressed since then and I hope it has.

I remember when Frost first came in he said that the previous regime did not hold accountable the players for being disciplined and that he wanted to bring that now. I remember he specifically said when we got drilled by Michigan, the plane was littered with trash and that he wasn't going to allow that to happen again. Again, I'm not throwing this kid under the bus but if we want to be a disciplined team, we can't let a freshman come in and impose his immature/punk ways.

I'm more pissed our linebackers lack the discipline to control the backside runs. They just follow the motion and the back cuts back behind them for 7 or more yards a rush.

You're right though. Frost needs to get after these guys.

Reactions: CatColumbia
I'm more pissed our linebackers lack the discipline to control the backside runs. They just follow the motion and the back cuts back behind them for 7 or more yards a rush.

You're right though. Frost needs to get after these guys.
Shades of 2003 Colorado. Just that little counter play over and over and over.

Cat is 100% correct. Act like 8th graders and you play like 8th graders. At least back in the Peter days, the only thing that was thrown on the ground were the players. Then they were pooped on. Gross behavior, but it was somewhat manly and they played like men on the field and won ballgames.

The kids seem to be having a good time if nothing else.

Shades of 2003 Colorado. Just that little counter play over and over and over.
Chase Brown running wild last weekend reminded me of Chris Brown stampeding our D in 2001. Not nearly the same level of disappointment, but a nagging reminder. That was a rough day. Last Saturday? Par for the course.

Guys, I really hope I'm wrong but I think the train is about to run off the rails. Maybe we beat Iowa and the program takes off. But nothing, and I mean nothing, is trending in a positive direction.
Or we had a bad game last Saturday and everyone is still so pissed we are looking for any and everything to turn into a huge deal.

I'm sure it's not as simple as only one problem that needs to be solved. BUT that said, I do think team discipline is one of the issues. Not sure Frost has it in him to enforce discipline and that might be why we're woefully underperforming to the rating site talent evaluations. Frost seems to me to want to be the players friend too much vs. a tough coach like Saban. Not enough discipline equals penalties/mistakes and too much inconsistent up and down performances. No doubt it is a fine line between being a bastard as a coach and too much of a nice guy. Don't think Frost has found the right balance yet. JMO.

These kids are taking this losing crap like a fun day in the park. No wonder they look so undisciplined on the field. Until Frost clamps down on them, it will continue to be a problem. As stubborn as Frost is, i doubt this will ever happen. He's had three years to help give these players some self-discipline. Whatever he is doing is not working.

Cat is 100% correct. Act like 8th graders and you play like 8th graders. At least back in the Peter days, the only thing that was thrown on the ground were the players. Then they were pooped on. Gross behavior, but it was somewhat manly and they played like men on the field and won ballgames.
So I'm clear, the angle we're taking on being shit on by another dude is that it's "somewhat manly"?

Shit wipes off. A thrown jersey on the ground will be burned into their mind forever. And let me be clear, I'm only kidding. Kind of...

You can make fun of this, but, CatColumbia is right. there are serious isues with this team, what he referenced is an indication of what goes on behind closed doors.
Pretty amazing considering Frost played under Osborne and witnessed the results of how he managed practices and his team. You would have thought he would have bookmarked a few ideas and implemented it into his own.

Maybe not exactly what the OP is about, but related I found Wan'Dale's PC VERY interesting today. He was asked by Sipple whether the offensive struggles cause players to lose trust in the system. One would expect a player to say, "No, the coaches have our complete confidence, we need to play better" or something like that. He said there are times after games you think and have those kinds of emotions, but until you sit down and watch and think about the situation you don't know all that is going on. When you watch the film you can understand why something happened, it may just be one person missing a block. You never want to COMPLETELY (my emphasis) distrust our coaches you just want to sit down and talk and find out where there heads are at. This told me that players are in fact questioning the system.

Cristopherson asked him about where the team is at frustration wise and mentioned that players were tweeting things on social media. Wan'Dale said there are three games left and everybody needs to stay together to win them and propel the team into next year.

Frost was asked about the social media stuff and he said he didn't start full time until his senior year and he understands freshmen frustrations of not playing and they have to learn it takes work to get what you want. Some may do that and stay and some may move on. These two responses told me there is no accountably, at least publicly for stabbing your team in the back.

I really worry about this locker room.

I’ve also seen immature IG videos of players on this team. I know kids will be kids so my beef with it isn’t with them. It’s with the coaches and the captains. I’ve seen a lot of jacking around despite horrible play on the field. It’s not the end of the world but it does show a laid back vibe amongst players that are publicly being criticized for their lack of focus and urgency.

I’ve also seen immature IG videos of players on this team. I know kids will be kids so my beef with it isn’t with them. It’s with the coaches and the captains. I’ve seen a lot of jacking around despite horrible play on the field. It’s not the end of the world but it does show a laid back vibe amongst players that are publicly being criticized for their lack of focus and urgency.

Amen! You nailed it.

These are all things that should NOT be happening in year 3 but its where we are at. Listened to quite a bit of 1620 today and it seems all is not well in Lincoln and it doesnt seem to be trending in a positive direction. Staff changes or a change of duties seem to be in order at the very least.

I don’t want to be too negative but we are in a very fragile state. I’m talking 2007 season fragile. I really don’t want to relive 2007 as a fan.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Do you seriously think that if Wandale or Cam had a problem with this that they wouldn’t have taken care of it themselves? Do you think they were scared of this freshman?

Do you seriously think that if Wandale or Cam had a problem with this that they wouldn’t have taken care of it themselves? Do you think they were scared of this freshman?

You’re missing the point I’m trying to make. There’s immaturity with this team with no leadership. This wasn’t the first time that freshman has posted head scratching stuff. If the program is established and killing it like Bama, sure you are confident things are being handled internally, because nothing gets in the way of winning there. But we’re not Bama, we’re the complete opposite. We’re too immature, undisciplined, dumb 10-19 team in the Frost era with no sense of urgency or focus. Losing has become the norm here.

ADVERTISEMENT