ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting take on Nebraska Football - Expert

I think the University of Nebraska is in the business of educating students, believe it or not I think most in the state believe that comes before football. The BIG has been a windfall from an academic standpoint.
Windfall for whom though?

I have nothing against academics, but you must understand that Husker Football used to be tied to the identity of this state, so you might see why it’s also a big deal.

I would have no problem separating athletics out from underneath Universities either, one should not preclude the success of the other.

But I would remind everyone that it was not academics that got the university invited to the conference, it was a history of excellence in football that provided the academic opportunity that some now hold so dear.

Reactions: RedLegion
Windfall for whom though?

I have nothing against academics, but you must understand that Husker Football used to be tied to the identity of this state, so you might see why it’s also a big deal.

I would have no problem separating athletics out from underneath Universities either, one should not preclude the success of the other.

But I would remind everyone that it was not academics that got the university invited to the conference, it was a history of excellence in football that provided the academic opportunity that some now hold so dear.
Time moves on. With the new proposed rules for practice by the NCAA who knows what football will be in a few years. Sipple's interview on the subject had some great points brought out by Moos and the possibility of an inferior product in the future and how it could turn off future fans. You saw the devastation of the city of Lincoln because of covid. Years down the road Lincoln and Nebraska may be grateful for the BIG ties. The locker space planned for football walkons may actually be used for academics and research.

Your argument gets a lot weaker if you look at the last 21 years as only 6 schools have won a national championship.

Heck even if you use your
Data , (hope you did not count Army in the 31) and only 30 or 31 schools have one an NC , what about the other 34 or 35 teams? And going back before the playoff period there were numerous years in which more than one team was named NC, if my math is right this occurred 16 times . And in some year 3 teams were crowned champions.

Today’s college football landscape is dominated by Alabama , Clemson and Ohio State. You can occasionally throw in another SEC school , like LSU . Heck even Oklahoma as good as they are hasn’t won an NC in 20 years .

So odds are definitely not in your favor with the playoff in place . Chances are you won’t be one of the playoff teams.

So your argument is that these 6 teams are going to continue to dominate the college football landscape for the next what then? Million years? Literally anything can happen and will. They will change the rules/playoffs/payment of players.

It’s unbelievably short sighted and small minded to think that what’s happened the past (21?!?) years is what’s going to happen until literally the *end of college football*. I’m sorry but this is absolutely mind blowing stupidity.

Are you serious right now? Why even watch college football if you’re so certain this is how it will be? What would be the point of following Nebraska football?

So your argument is that these 6 teams are going to continue to dominate the college football landscape for the next what then? Million years? Literally anything can happen and will. They will change the rules/playoffs/payment of players.

It’s unbelievably short sighted and small minded to think that what’s happened the past (21?!?) years is what’s going to happen until literally the *end of college football*. I’m sorry but this is absolutely mind blowing stupidity.

Are you serious right now? Why even watch college football if you’re so certain this is how it will be? What would be the point of following Nebraska football?
You are assuming what we now know as college football is going to be around for another 100 years. I doubt college athletics last another 25 in their current state. The more power the players get, the less power the universities have.

I find it sort of ironic, I think that is the correct word, that players feel that the NCAA and the schools are making millions off of the players, but the proposed rules have a form of revenue sharing for the name image and likeness payments. Meaning the lowest level scholarship football player on the team is going to get paid about the same as the high profile QB. At what point does the high profile QB guy start bitching that the 5th team DB shouldn't be getting paid what the QB is getting? First you will see the P5 football teams break off from the NCAA or at least be a part of a new division of football, then you will see the transformation to a semi-pro type league from that. At which point the universities will no longer be needed.

Look how fast we have gone from the days of players and families believing they were lucky to just get an opportunity at free education to where we are today that everyone wants a piece of the pie. Pretty soon that pie will be sliced so thin that no one will even want a piece any longer.

I’d argue the better term for our fanbase is obsessed, not delusional. Fact is Paul Finebaum has no clue what Nebraska fans think, and that’s fine, nobody under 35 (especially recruits) cares what he thinks anyway. Our fanbase being obsessed is what is holding this thing together. It’s the only thing right now that gives this program life.
No it’s delusional. To many here, Iowa doesn’t have much of a program these days. That isn’t the level of success that Nebraska should be looking for...we are close to contending for a natty and despite everything he has shown us to the contrary SF is the guy to get us there.

You are assuming what we now know as college football is going to be around for another 100 years. I doubt college athletics last another 25 in their current state. The more power the players get, the less power the universities have.

That’s basically the opposite of what I said...I AM saying that the college football landscape will continue to change/evolve/devolve, however you want to look at it and that is why we won’t simply see the same 6 teams that have dominated the last 21 years continue to do so until the end of time.

That statement “won’t exist as we know it” can constantly be applied to the entire world as it moves through time. But the world is still here. Same with college football, but I don’t believe “college football” is going to cease to exist anytime soon. It will change just like everything else. There will be changing levels just like there have been for centuries, but to say that it’s going away altogether is just not likely in my opinion. It has only gained popularity since it started. As long as there is a demand for it, it will go on, much like life itself.

I didn't read anything new there from Paul. The mistake of leaving the B12 has been talked about ad nauseam here and elsewhere for over a decade now. There is absolutely no other explanation for the fall of N football.

That’s basically the opposite of what I said...I AM saying that the college football landscape will continue to change/evolve/devolve, however you want to look at it and that is why we won’t simply see the same 6 teams that have dominated the last 21 years continue to do so until the end of time.

That statement “won’t exist as we know it” can constantly be applied to the entire world as it moves through time. But the world is still here. Same with college football, but I don’t believe “college football” is going to cease to exist anytime soon. It will change just like everything else. There will be changing levels just like there have been for centuries, but to say that it’s going away altogether is just not likely in my opinion. It has only gained popularity since it started. As long as there is a demand for it, it will go on, much like life itself.
The further it moves away from the current landscape the less relevant Nebraska will be.

Popularity is what it is, people will find something else to do with their money and time.
Boxing and horse racing were far more popular than any other sport from the turn of the 1900s to 1950ish. Baseball was extremely popular, not as much now. The NBA had tape delayed finals games as late at the mid 1980’s. The Olympics were must see TV, now meh some events arent covered live at all.

college football and NFL will have their cycle as well. The more research on brain disease from concussions the less moms who let their boys play football.

Reactions: 250vertical
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT