ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting stuff out of Nate Gerry on 1620

huskerbaseball13

Nebraska Legend
Jul 30, 2003
I don't have the podcast....so I'm going relay as to what I heard(and maybe I took it the wrong way)...but I doubt it as Damon Benning seems to agree. It sounds like in the secondary last year there was quite a bit of disconnect between some upperclassmen vs underclassmen. Talked about how there may have been a few jobs given that weren't exactly earned. To me..the second part is not shocking as Bo and his minions certainly did some head scratching things with the roster. Said the chemistry is much better under Riley and Stewart. Podcast should be up shortly...not surprising he would go to bat for the new coaches(what else is he going to say?)...but the communication issues I'm sure led to some of the problems we saw on D.

I haven't drank the big red kool-aid for a long long time but this year I'm guzzling it! 10-2 with a big 10 championship game appearance.

Reactions: otismotis08
I haven't drank the big red kool-aid for a long long time but this year I'm guzzling it! 10-2 with a big 10 championship game appearance.
ONE would have to take that in advance; with TA having 2 minutes more in the championship than he did against So Cal.

Reactions: Magni
I don't have the podcast....so I'm going relay as to what I heard(and maybe I took it the wrong way)...but I doubt it as Damon Benning seems to agree. It sounds like in the secondary last year there was quite a bit of disconnect between some upperclassmen vs underclassmen. Talked about how there may have been a few jobs given that weren't exactly earned. To me..the second part is not shocking as Bo and his minions certainly did some head scratching things with the roster. Said the chemistry is much better under Riley and Stewart. Podcast should be up shortly...not surprising he would go to bat for the new coaches(what else is he going to say?)...but the communication issues I'm sure led to some of the problems we saw on D.

Jobs not earned should be Pelini`s motto when he was here. It was more about sacred cows than studs.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Hey anyone can play o-line at wingback size. Slap on a hundred pounds of fat; if talented , can play against many and you get killed vs top teams talent. We had a lot of turnover at db coach; may have been more than an accident.

What excites me is the fact that we didn't play our best players last year and still were more or less competitive in most competitions. What could things be like if we played the best players? We will soon find out...

What excites me is the fact that we didn't play our best players last year and still were more or less competitive in most competitions. What could things be like if we played the best players? We will soon find out...
It really pumps me up. If there was a lack of trust/communication last year and if the best players were not playing, it seems to me that my thoughts of winning 10 games this year might be a bit low. 11 or 12 wins?

The proof will be in the playing - every pre-season under Pelini had plenty of sunshine pumping - I think there is plenty of room for improvement over the level of performance Pelini got out of his rosters.....but not sure that will close the gap to teams like MSU and tOSU....at least this season.

The proof will be in the playing - every pre-season under Pelini had plenty of sunshine pumping - I think there is plenty of room for improvement over the level of performance Pelini got out of his rosters.....but not sure that will close the gap to teams like MSU and tOSU....at least this season.
Roster's performance > Pelini's coaching

Plenty of speculation and opinions shared on who SHOULD have started at various positions, I can't argue either way. It was painfully obvious to anyone watching the games how bad our communication issues were, especially with the D. Watching players run around not knowing where to get lined up and blown assignments were more than ridiculous. Fix those things and we are better already.

Reactions: huskerj12
K

Armstrongs play last year doesn't give me this much confidence.

I imagine the chemistry is better and perhaps some of the wrong people were on the field.

But Nate has nobody to blame but himself for filling the wrong hole multiple times. In that Wisconsin game alone Gerry jumped inside time and again when it is obvious that he was in the wrong hole. Nate has some skills and breaks on the ball really well but his run support last year was poor...and that's being kind.

I imagine the chemistry is better and perhaps some of the wrong people were on the field.

But Nate has nobody to blame but himself for filling the wrong hole multiple times. In that Wisconsin game alone Gerry jumped inside time and again when it is obvious that he was in the wrong hole. Nate has some skills and breaks on the ball really well but his run support last year was poor...and that's being kind.
Sometimes players are ordered to specific holes. Many past blowouts of our D; that was later called a contributing factor. If a player seems to continually doing something in a game; probably coached , if not changed

Listened to Gerry's interview, which Damon Benning flipped out about. Here's my take:

-Either there was some more poison on the team, similar to what PJ Smith said a couple years back
or
-The defensive scheme was too complicated and there was too much guesswork

Or a combination of the two.

That's because Bo is such a good coach and his scheme is so great.

I really enjoy listening to DB's breakdowns, but we all know that he sometimes over-sensationalizes topics. I don't need to hear a kid talk about how things are completely different now. Hope always springs eternal. I just want to see the results on the field.

Regardless of QB results during the Bo era, I highly doubt anyone who was a backup would've done better than the starters. That's a depth issue, but not a matter of someone having a job they didn't deserve. Plus Martinez was a First Team All Conference player in his final healthy season, that's damn good.

Hearing stories such as this one about how the team is tighter now or whatever are staples of this time of year regardless of who the coach is. That said, based on what we saw on Saturdays thing could be different now. It could just be smoke...we'll see soon enough.

Hopefully the QB has more than 2 to 3 seconds to throw the ball, or hell how about just a center who can snap the damn ball.

I would just like to see us defend the run in a way that doesn't involve an open field tackle by a cornerback being the only thing between the running back and a long touchdown.

I would just like to see us defend the run in a way that doesn't involve an open field tackle by a cornerback being the only thing between the running back and a long touchdown.

Really, we saw it all last year except for 5 or 6 quarters. Here's the ypc we gave up by game for the reg season last year:

Really, we saw it all last year except for 5 or 6 quarters. Here's the ypc we gave up by game for the reg season last year:

Your lover is now employed at Youngstown State University. Time to let go. It's OK. Easy.. easy.. easy. Time to live and time to die... let go... it's easy... relax... relax... relax...

Hmmm, I did not know that. I wonder how many Husker fans would those numbers for this up coming season. They seem lower than I thought they would be.

Hmmm, I did not know that. I wonder how many Husker fans would those numbers for this up coming season. They seem lower than I thought they would be.
IF you're giving up 3.3 yards or more per carry, you are giving up an average of a first down every 3 downs. IF I can run the ball for anywhere close to 4 yards per carry, I might never call a pass play. Our run defense was inconsistent at best and at times the WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN.

IF you're giving up 3.3 yards or more per carry, you are giving up an average of a first down every 3 downs. IF I can run the ball for anywhere close to 4 yards per carry, I might never call a pass play. Our run defense was inconsistent at best and at times the WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN.
2007 was the worst I can remember....That USC game was worse than Wisconsin

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT