ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting; Orange Bowl being simucasted in Spanish on ESPN2...

MAG

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
probably a good idea since the demographic supports it. I wouldn't be surprised that sometime in the not-too-distant future one of the major broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, or FOX) air a weekly TV show done entirely in Spanish. Wouldn't surprise a bit.

Networks are in the business of eyeballs. Not worrying about what is acceptable. Whether you want to deal with it or not, there is a large population that speaks Spanish.

Networks are in the business of eyeballs. Not worrying about what is acceptable. Whether you want to deal with it or not, there is a large population that speaks Spanish.

Good for them. But still have no interest in it And the majority of the people who PLAY and watch college football speak english. Those that need a spanish only channel probably should't be here anyways. So in essence, the market isn't that big.

In Spanish speaking countries, great idea.

Nebraska games should be broadcasted across the latin speaking parts of the world.
lets say a selma gomez chooses to watch a game with me, I would be more than happy to share the greatness of the Husker football with her. It would be wrong to limit Husker football to the world by language, translations should be available for every tribe nation and tounge. Lets remember, one would be hard pressed indeed to find a isis Husker fan.

Good for them. But still have no interest in it And the majority of the people who PLAY and watch college football speak english. Those that need a spanish only channel probably should't be here anyways. So in essence, the market isn't that big.

In Spanish speaking countries, great idea.
Basura. Como todas tus opiniones

Last edited:
Both were on in the gym tonight. The ESPN2 Spanish feed is about a second faster than the ESPN English feed.

Some hurt feelings over an opinion. My bad I will be PC. Wow that's the greatest thing in the world that they are doing that.

And people wonder why they get lied too all the time.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
This is true of all business and this country is run by big business. They don't care what your race is, or what language you speak. If they can tweak something to increase sales, they are going to do it. How about all the premier league programming you see on the top tier networks these days? Even the latest Century Link advertising is aimed clearly at hispanics.

From an economic standpoint, illegal immigration is also the result of big business and our politicians. In an ever more global economy, those companies require cheap labor in order to compete abroad. What they don't want to do however, is make those people citizens. As soon as they do that, then the government is on the hook to take care of them, along with all the rules and regulations (ie taxes) that business has to follow. It is however only a short sighted solution to the labor problem, as the labor savings only works for one generation. The next generation will be citizens.

The language and culture will also be affected. Spanish won't take over as the dominant language, but certain words and phrases will impact pop culture and meld with current cultural norms. Again, this is a one generation change, as the next generation of children will be taught english and it will be their first language.

One way to try to visualize how things will look in the future, is to look back at our past. Slavery and the plight of African Americans was very much about some of the similar things in the beginning. Inexpensive labor for big business. They too started off with little to no rights like todays illegal immigrants. One can also then realistically predict how things will change in the next generation, when those workers do have rights.

I guess to me, it's a difficult problem and one that isn't easily fixed. I'm not sure it is even easy for people to agree on which aspects are considered the problem or are most problematic.

What is clear however, is it does come full circle. What starts as an economic advantage, turns into a economic norm, then it becomes an economic dependency.

ESPN is in serious financial trouble as we have all heard by now. They need to be able to justify higher prices for advertisements on their network and one way to do that is to increase the size of their demographic. Adding this huge latino demographic is one way to do that, and sort of brings us full circle. They will become dependent, as other businesses have on this latin demographic.

Trump already knows this, he's saying what a lot of Americans feel, but this isn't something he can really stop and he knows it. He basically says he will secure the border, deport everyone and then only let the good ones back in. While this makes the general American population feel good, it also means he understands how dependent we have become on that labor and latin demographic. Not just in sports, but in many aspects of our daily life.

Apologies this is long, but wanted to share some thoughts on it.

Reactions: jeans15
My family spoke German in their Nebraska homes, churches and schools when they first emigrated to the U.S. They read German-language newspapers, too.

I'm betting that was the same for families called "Behm," "Steinkuhler," "Alfson," "Hochstein," "Wachholtz" and many others who sent their sons to Lincoln to be Cornhuskers and All-Americans. It's likely also true for families such as the Rolfzens, who have sent their daughters to do the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: jteten
Not as trash as you are in general.
Were you being forced to watch the Spanish broadcast? How did this broadcast negatively affect your life? Are you mad that ESPN2 played the game in Spanish because it took away tv time for Women's billiards or World Series of Poker?

I for one, think that the more people that watch college football, the better for the game. Regardless of their primary idiom. Why do you want this sport to be exclusive only to people who speak English?

There are a lot of things that people find reasons to be offended by, but this just doesn't make any sense.

Some hurt feelings over an opinion. My bad I will be PC. Wow that's the greatest thing in the world that they are doing that.

And people wonder why they get lied too all the time.

I guess I don't see where anyone is saying it's the "greatest thing in the world." The bottom line is that the Hispanic population is growing faster than any other demographic and businesses will be catering more and more to Spanish speaking individuals (both legal and illegal). You should get used to it because this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The comment of "we speak English in America" is irrelevant. You may speak English. The vast majority of people you know may speak English. Where your argument proves your ignorance is in this fact: the US has no official language. Did you know that? Maybe relying on more than Fox and Trump for your "news" would be helpful. The fact that a shrinking majority speak English is not an argument against ESPN2 simulcasting a game in Spanish. Saying I don't mind ESPN2 doing so is not PC, it is common sense.

Were you being forced to watch the Spanish broadcast? How did this broadcast negatively affect your life? Are you mad that ESPN2 played the game in Spanish because it took away tv time for Women's billiards or World Series of Poker?

I for one, think that the more people that watch college football, the better for the game. Regardless of their primary idiom. Why do you want this sport to be exclusive only to people who speak English?

There are a lot of things that people find reasons to be offended by, but this just doesn't make any sense.

I clearly said I'm not interested. Which implies I'm not going to watch it. Because I speak English.

The reactions in this thread are why a person like Donald Trump has a chance to be president. When Trump has no business being president.

But people are so sick of the holier than thou progressive BS, that they are willing to put that fool in office. It's people of all colors, democrats, independents, Republicans giving him support Including hispanics.

This has nothing to do with PC. I already stated that networks are responsible to get viewers. Period. Regarding Trump's popularity, I'd say it has less to do with the rejection of PC and more to do with people who don't like change and dream of "the good old days". Trump talks a lot about making America Great Again" a harkening to that exact sentiment. Yet shocking - America is actually doing just fine. Likely better than the days Trump pines for.

immigrants ( legal) are what this country is based on and people coming to our country helps the economy and diversity and is a great thing as long as they come legally

I think the issue with language is important however to integrate people into the country. By making special accommodations to other languages it encourages immigrants to remain separate and could cause their kids to even have issues.

Come to America - but learn the predominate language and be like everyone else. I wonder if I moved to France if they would change their language for me

This has nothing to do with PC. I already stated that networks are responsible to get viewers. Period. Regarding Trump's popularity, I'd say it has less to do with the rejection of PC and more to do with people who don't like change and dream of "the good old days". Trump talks a lot about making America Great Again" a harkening to that exact sentiment. Yet shocking - America is actually doing just fine. Likely better than the days Trump pines for.

Fair enough for me

Forgot it's racist to like your country, can't hurt foreigners feelings.

Hey, it's a free country!

... however, I hope you find a way to both appreciate our great country's diversity and still "like" it. There's nothing un-American about that! Happy New Year.

Sources: I'm a 'foreigner', but I consider myself American, too.

Reactions: jeans15
Hey, it's a free country!

... however, I hope you find a way to both appreciate our great country's diversity and still "like" it. There's nothing un-American about that! Happy New Year.

Sources: I'm a 'foreigner', but I consider myself American, too.

Love the diversity,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT