ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting defensive depth observation

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
I’m pretty sure I saw Tyreke Johnson suited up on the sideline, but he didn’t log a snap vs Marques Buford getting 4, Phalen Sanford and Lane McCallum each with 1.

Javin Wright also had zero snaps after getting some action last week (maybe OLB).

I wouldn’t necessarily read too much into it, but just for comparison, at OLB Jimari Butler (3rd string?) got 10 snaps.
No Jackson Hannah, no Blaise, no Tate Wilderman after all played last week I think.

I’m pretty sure I saw Tyreke Johnson suited up on the sideline, but he didn’t log a snap vs Marques Buford getting 4, Phalen Sanford and Lane McCallum each with 1.

Javin Wright also had zero snaps after getting some action last week (maybe OLB).

I wouldn’t necessarily read too much into it, but just for comparison, at OLB Jimari Butler (3rd string?) got 10 snaps.
No Jackson Hannah, no Blaise, no Tate Wilderman after all played last week I think.
Strange brew indeed. This staff is just baffling and highly mistake prone coaching.

Blaise is a guy that is injury prone. I don't understand this staffs love of giving scholarships to guys who have had a history of injuries in high school. Is that the recruiting philosophy that we go after guys hoping they will be healthy in college when they can't stay on the field in high school?

Blaise is a guy that is injury prone. I don't understand this staffs love of giving scholarships to guys who have had a history of injuries in high school. Is that the recruiting philosophy that we go after guys hoping they will be healthy in college when they can't stay on the field in high school?
Sometimes we get them because other schools back off because of the injuries. We're taking a calculated risk.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Wow, he's needs to be a DE in a 4-3, he's gone. He's a total tweener here.
It's difficult to know for sure how some kids are going to grow in to their bodies as they mature. Obviously injuries and drive plays a factor too. Even with the level that schools like OSU recruit at they still have guys that never make it.

He had one injury in high school related to a pelvic growth plate. It was determined he needed to have the same procedure done on the other side which pretty much sidelined him his first year. Iowa and Iowa State both wanted him bad. He'll be a player for us. We're pretty good on depth at the defensive line. Nash hasn't gone in yet either. Give young guys a chance before you throw them on the trash heap

He should be asked to leave for wasting our time and money
He had one injury in high school related to a pelvic growth plate. It was determined he needed to have the same procedure done on the other side which pretty much sidelined him his first year. Iowa and Iowa State both wanted him bad. He'll be a player for us. We're pretty good on depth at the defensive line. Nash hasn't gone in yet either. Give young guys a chance before you throw them on the trash heap
Interesting 180.

Reactions: HuskerDubby
Yeah, after battling injuries he switched to OLB which seemed like an odd move.
When we got him, I really felt he would be huge for us, but it doesn’t always pan out as we know all too well.

The switch to OLB was the kiss of death for me. That's when I knew he wasn't gonna be a factor here.

Holla

Reactions: HominidHusker
The charity recruiting BS needs to stop. People may not like it when a kid gets injured in high school and his scholarship is pulled but it's the nature of the beast. Spending thousands of dollars on lame duck recruits is ridiculous.

Frost has been doing it since day 1. The talent level was so bad he had to take risks with shady players. And so far none have been a consistent contributor.

ADVERTISEMENT